PDA

View Full Version : VC 3000pts - Friendly

Lord-Gen Bale Chambers
08-03-2012, 03:33
Ok, here is my second go at a VC list. I upped it to 3,000 points because that is what they are playing for the fantasy campaign at my LGS. I don't have any experience with games of fantasy over 1200 pts and in those games I played Brettonians. Please feel free to make suggestions, but realize I will never use this in a tournament.

Lords (23%)
Vampire Lord - level 2 wizard (lore of vamps), tailsmen of preservation, nightshroud, heavy armour, enchanted shield, lance, hand weapon, red fury, quickblood, beguile
Mounted on a Zombie Dragon

Heroes (17%)
Necromancer - level 2, dispel scroll, powerstone, corpse cart w/unholy lodestone
Necromancer - level 2, staff of damnation, seed of rebirth
Wight King - luckstone, dragonhelm, great weapon (Krell model :skull:)

Core (25%)
40 Zombies - musician, standard
50 Skeletons - spears, champ, musician, screaming banner
5 Dire Wolves - doom wolf
10 Dire Wolves

Special (21%)
30 Grave Guard - great weapons, seneschal, musician, barrows banner
4 Vargheists

Rare (13%)
3 Cairn Wraiths
Terrorghiest

The Plan
The Wight King joins the skeletons and the foot necro joins one of the other blocks of infantry (undecided here).

The main battle line will look something like Zombie - Skeletons - Zombie - Graveguard. The corpsecart necro will be between either the Zombie/skellies or Zombie/graveguard with the foot necro in a unit on the end of a unit for other two. There job is to raise zombies and keep the graveguard and skeletons strong enough to keep fighting and doing damage. Hopefully get some augments off as help to assist in combat. It will be a slow moving line, but there are a lot of models in it with more zombies on the way. I like the idea of going horde for all of them (except maybe GG due to 30 models), but after reading alot, it sounds like a 5 wide bus is better for zombies.

One flank will have the Vamp Lord/Zombie Dragon and Terrorgheist lined up behind the two small units of dire wolves with the vargheist hidden behind them. The dire wolves and vargheists are there to combo charge with the lord and deal with chaff. This flank will draw alot of attention and hopfully raise alot of hell. The lord also will keep the wolves and terrogheist moving at full speed (which may be too fast compared to the slow line). A bonus would be the lord using IoN to keep the wolves going and maybe heal a wound a turn on his mount and the terrorgheist.

The other flank will have the 10 strong unit of dire wolves and the cairn wraiths. Not sure if I want to break the dire wolves into 2 5 strong units for this flank and then position the wraiths where ever I think I need them or leave them all together.

Getting a few games in should help with finding the optimal deployment setup.

Your thoughts?

JustinDonnelly
08-03-2012, 11:51
By placing your general on a dragon your likely to draw alot of unwanted attention to him and thats nearly 700 points on 1 model!

Your first necro cannot take both a powerstone and dispel scroll as they are both arcane items.

Personally, i would consider doing the following:

Drop the dragon and get a master necro in there with master of the dead. This will give you 2 levels higher in offensive and defensive magic phases.

Make the cairn wraiths all hero choices. 3 units causing terror is good and also giving you the chance to cause fear in fear causing units and you have the points in your hero section. Sticking them on the corner of a 5 wide bus can also stop a few attacks non magical attacks.

Drop the unit of 10 wolves and the 2 doom wolves. They are not very good. Use the points in spirit hosts. They are more useful. They can be warmachine hunters, redirectors or for tying up small units and big monsters

Lord-Gen Bale Chambers
08-03-2012, 13:56
Thanks for the reply. I have been considering dropping the dragon zombie, but I really like the model.

I could put him with black or blood knights if I drop the terrorgheist too and get a master Necro. I'll have to check points later.

I can't swap the dire wolves for spirit hosts because I need the points in core.

Lord-Gen Bale Chambers
17-03-2012, 12:56
Ok, so I made some changes. I dropped the Zombie dragon in favor of a nightmare. I dropped the enchanted shield for a normal shield because I already had 1 piece of magic armour. I also dropped 1 vargheist and the unholy lodestone to add 5 Blood Knights. I moved one necromancer to a master necro.

Lords (23%)
Vampire Lord - level 2 wizard (lore of vamps), tailsmen of preservation, nightshroud, heavy armour, shield, lance, hand weapon, red fury, quickblood
Mounted on a Nightmare

Master Necromancer - level 4, powerstone

Heroes (11%)
Necromancer - level 2, dispel scroll, corpse cart
Wight King - luckstone, dragonhelm, great weapon (Krell model )

Core (25%)
50 Skeletons - spears, champ, musician, screaming banner
10 Dire Wolves

Special (20%)
30 Grave Guard - great weapons, seneschal, musician, barrows banner
3 Vargheists

Rare (22%)
3 Cairn Wraiths
Terrorghiest
5 Blood Knights - full command

The lord goes with the blood knights and they will be deployed behind the Terrorgheist. That will provide hard cover at the least from shooting, completely block line of sight at best. After vanguard moves, I plan on have the dire wolves still in the path of any shooting directed at the varghest. With skirmish and hardcover from the wolves as they advance, they shouldn't take much damage. That leaves the Terrorgheist as the "easier" target for shooting on that flank if they focus on it.

I have two dilemas now with this setup.

1) Do I make the Vampire Lord the general, so the terrgheist and wolves can march if in the bubble and the vargheist can use his leadership for frenzy? Or do I make the master necro a general so the horde of infantry can move up quickly?

2) Without the ULS, I lose the rerolls for IoN from the corpse cart. That limits its usefulness to just granting ASF, which for skeletons, zombies and GW graveguard, which is limited since their initiative won't grant rerolls most of the time. Should I swap the necro and cart out for a combat vampire to add to the skeletons making them more of a threat and improving the fear bomb w/screaming banner? I could also drop a level from the necro and add the ULS back onto the cart.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Ratbeast
18-03-2012, 09:38
Crypt horrors are way to go

Lord-Gen Bale Chambers
19-03-2012, 14:38
Crypt horrors are way to go

Thank you for the reply and I appreciate the effectiveness of horrors with a Mortis engine. However I have no interest in running either. Vargheist look far more sweeter in my opinion and my vampire lord feels ghouls are inferior and are not proper undead (ie they don't fit the theme of my list).

I did find an answer to my first question. The vamp lord has to be general due to his leadership.