PDA

View Full Version : Crack's Call

Walls
08-03-2012, 17:48
Oh.... this spell...

In a game with my Ogres vs Skaven, the skaven player was destroying my lines with this one spell. The thing that got me thinking was he was doing it right into combat. He would stand there, shoot a whole rank out of combat. Seemed really weird you could do that but nowhere did it say you could. It doesn't say it shoots like a cannonball or bolt thrower. It doesn't say it's a shooting attack. He literally shot it down the front line and killed characters and everything. Hell, is it even a template for LoS?

Seems weird, but this is the Skaven book we are talking about, the most horribly written thing in history/

hamsterwheel
08-03-2012, 18:18
From the Skaven FAQ:

Q: Is the 4D6” line from Crack’s Call a template? (p78)
A: Yes

So LOS is allowed.

Walls
08-03-2012, 18:58
So then you cannot shoot into combat! Correct?

hamsterwheel
08-03-2012, 20:44
So then you cannot shoot into combat! Correct?

There are no rules that state that templates cannot be used on units in combat. As far as the legalities of using the spell in combat, it all depends upon interpretation. According to some, Cracks Call only has the restrictions listed in the spell description so yes it can be cast into combat because the spell doesn't say you can't. On the other hand, there are some that believe that the spells without types are still restricted by the 4 standard magic target restrictions which claim that you can't cast it into combat unless it gives you explicit permission to do so. However you choose to play it, discuss it with your opponent first and play it that way.

Walls
08-03-2012, 22:08
Is there a single template that can be shot into combat that isn't on skaven slaves though? Makes me think you cannot.

hamsterwheel
08-03-2012, 22:49
Is there a single template that can be shot into combat that isn't on skaven slaves though? Makes me think you cannot.

Any stone thrower that hits units in combat is a template hitting units. You just can't place the template over the unit when first firing and hope it scatters onto your opponents models. Also, Crack's Call is a spell and not done in the shooting phase so it's restrictions are those listed under the Magic section.

T10
09-03-2012, 08:22
You cannot cast spells at units in close combat (any exceptions are noted in the spell type or the spell description).

-T10

BlackPawl
09-03-2012, 09:32
"Is there a single template that can be shot into combat that isn't on skaven slaves though? Makes me think you cannot."

Regarding magic: all Vortex spells can be cast into close combat because they did not target the unit.

In this way I would say you can cast it into combat, because the spell did not target a unit but you only say in which direction it goes (and you did not know before rolling the dices how long the line will be).

With the 13th spell one could discuss it, because hamsterwheel is right: some say all restrictions apply, other say that if it is not forbidden then you can use it because of the bad wording in the rulebook regarding spells from old books without a spell type (but I don't want to start another discussion about that).

krunsh
24-12-2015, 14:21
Sorry for bring this back on the table again, but I am starting a skaven army and finding this spell highly confusing. So Crack's call:

1. Is a template in the FAQ, does that make it kind of a vortex spell?
2. Can I cast it from outside of combat so that the line goes over enemy models engaged in close combat?
3. Can my spell caster cast it while engaged in close combat himself?
4. Does the template work like a cannon ball, and thus only hit one model per rank?
5. Can I only cast it in my front arc?

I rolled this spell for the first time yesterday in a game, and did not cast it in close combat, or from close combat, and used it like a cannon ball. As a result, the spell was underwhelming to say the least... 4d6 is not a very high range, and unless fighting specific enemies, initiative roll is not all that strong, especially if you only hit about 4-5 guys per turn with it. It is good against buildings and chariots in theory, but it's short range does not exactly help this.

So, has any more information come in 2015? It seems like I'll just be avoiding this spell, seeing how with these restrictions Scorch is an overall MUCH better spell.

Thank you.

theunwantedbeing
24-12-2015, 15:15
1. No, it's a template. Vortexes are a type of template.
2. No, as there is no allowance for it to be cast into combat.
3. Yes, but you can't cast it into the combat.
4. No, cannonballs have a special set of rules that they follow which includes only hitting one model per rank.
5. Yes, only in the front arc because that's what the spell says.

krunsh
24-12-2015, 15:44
1. No, it's a template. Vortexes are a type of template.
2. No, as there is no allowance for it to be cast into combat.
3. Yes, but you can't cast it into the combat.
4. No, cannonballs have a special set of rules that they follow which includes only hitting one model per rank.
5. Yes, only in the front arc because that's what the spell says.

Alright, I guess I can work with that. So if I draw a line over two ranks in a diagonal so that it touches 3 models, I can make them all roll initiative rolls, rather than just like a cannon? I guess this would increase its damage potential enough.