PDA

View Full Version : Themes you never see...

thesheriff
08-03-2012, 20:05
Some random, thematic musing about the fabric of our hobby scene...

Ok, I for one am a fan of themed armies. I try to theme all my armies. Sometimes, as it expands, I too expand the theme to be more liberal, or in the case of playable nessecity (cough...cough...splutter...WOOD ELVES....cough) I may even ditch the theme for a bit and re-visit it in the future. I find a theme helps on multiple levels. It looks cool, makes for funner games, keeps me interested and limits the amount of beard I can inject into an army (being able to field 2 hordes of bloodletters @ 2k with the justification of theme is pricless). But never the less, i like theme alot.

There are also themes that people gravatate towards alot more. Alignment to a chaos god is always a a safe bet. Especially since i firmly believe that once you pick a mono-god chaos army in any system, you becoem instantly associated with that god in your gaming group (I have multiple khorne armies now).

But, there are really cool themes, ones I would do myself if I had enough cash, which I never see.

I was musing this while thinking of the Goblin theme, or just O&G themes in general. I see night goblins alot. But regular goblins, almost never. An all chariot/wolf rider goblin army, with a bunch of warmachiens, and some scratchbuilt stuff would be epic. Now, while this doesnt strike me as competative, it would be nice to see against you at a tournamnet as something a bit more interesting.

Guess id just like too hear your theroies on this, as well as any cool themed armies you own, want to own, or would like to see more. And how manyt themed armies you see in general in your local gaming community.

thesheriff

sulla
08-03-2012, 20:13
I'd love to do a Khainite Dark Elf army but only 2 units to really choose from, no magic and wafer thin heroes would make it fairly uncompetitive.

vinush
08-03-2012, 20:19
I used to have an almost entirely smaller greenskin army consisting of Gobbos and Snotlings, and a giant. I got rid of it all because of the previous army book destroying the fun of the army for me, but would love to do an all Common Goblin army with war machines if I had the time and cash.

THE \/ince

The Odor
08-03-2012, 20:29
An All Nurgle WoC. I recieved my first kit for the Army I got planned today (OOP Knights) so it is coming sometime in the future (AKA After my Khorne and Tzeentch armies). An Engineer themed Imperial army would be quite fun.

Borgnine
08-03-2012, 20:50
I have never, ever, seen a skaven themed vampire counts army.

fairoaks024
08-03-2012, 21:19
i field an all female, all slaanesh pink warriors of chaos army led by Amy winehouse.

starting work on my all swamp dwelling nurgle guys next

regards

jim

Eyrenthaal
08-03-2012, 21:21
I Have two armies, both approx. 3500p.

One is ā goblin army made upp almost entirely snotlings. Last time i think i Counted 115 different kinds of snot models..

The other is ā kislev themed empire army.

For me the theme is to get the right look of the army, not the army composition..

/rob

SanDiegoSurrealist
08-03-2012, 21:23
I always liked the idea of a Dwarven Vampire Counts Army

I have an all Slannesh DoC List, was fun to build adn paint and looks great but usally they just gets their a$$es handed to them.

abdulaapocolyps
08-03-2012, 21:27
Let's see...
I have a dwarf build lead by a master engineer that is crammed with shooting as the engineer is a travelling salesman who crops up,defends towns then flogs them his weapons on the back of the wins!
An all tree wood elf list.not a single elf in sight and could double up in use as terrain...?
I like normal gobbos too and considered making my goblin liberation front army - goblin radicals that want to be free of the tyranny of Orks.with an ork slave unit.
A bretonian peasant uprising army with no knight units?
I like themes...

dementian
08-03-2012, 21:40
I am in the process of running a Skaven storyline campaign. Well two actually, one against WoC and another against Helves, they are essentially the same with 5 themed battles. There is a battle for each of the major skaven clans and I kept them completely mono clan. For instance eshin and moulder lists have no magic. For such themed armies I understand why they wouldn't be fielded competitively without a magic presence you would get hurt. Luckily as per the plan of the campaign my iPhone re understand this and as such their lists will be fluffy as well. I plan on posting the storyline for the campaign once I have more completed.

in summary some themed lists although super fun and with incredible story can sometimes not compete.

Gloryseeker
08-03-2012, 21:51

Ha same

The bearded one
08-03-2012, 22:01
There are 2 themes I've always wanted to do:

the only good elf is a dead elf; high elves, but dead ones. Yeah, an undead high elf army, with zombie and skeletal troops, dead creatures (dragons, griffons etc.) and blood knight dragon princes, using the high elf rules.

Forest goblins and savage orcs; Savage orcs and forest goblins somehow seem to fit together in terms of looks, as they both look a bit primitive with their feathers and bone decorations.
- It would be 2 spiders, lots of savage orcs (and of course a horde of savage big 'uns with lucky shrunken head), and some units of spider riders.

- There would also be some of night goblins. I wanted to do common goblins for that, but the night goblin tricks could be turned spider'ish quite easily and be really awesome. Imagine a spider goblin fanatic who doesn't whirl metal balls, but instead those balls of spiderweb with spiders on it that you get for the flinger catapult on the arachnerocks. You know, the ammunition. How funny would that be? And then netters would be throwing spiderwebs over you instead of nets!

- There would also be some savage orc chariots. They'd just be regular orc boar chariots with savage orc crew, but I was totally inspired by a little bit from the orc boar chariot in the O&G book, saying savage orcs hadn't really been succesful with their chariots yet on account of using square wheels! So I wanted to build a couple like that.

Tae
08-03-2012, 22:08
Forest goblins and savage orcs; Savage orcs and forest goblins somehow seem to fit together in terms of looks, as they both look a bit primitive with their feathers and bone decorations.
- It would be 2 spiders, lots of savage orcs (and of course a horde of savage big 'uns with lucky shrunken head), and some units of spider riders.

- There would also be some of night goblins. I wanted to do common goblins for that, but the night goblin tricks could be turned spider'ish quite easily and be really awesome. Imagine a spider goblin fanatic who doesn't whirl metal balls, but instead those balls of spiderweb with spiders on it that you get for the flinger catapult on the arachnerocks. You know, the ammunition. How funny would that be? And then netters would be throwing spiderwebs over you instead of nets!

- There would also be some savage orc chariots. They'd just be regular orc boar chariots with savage orc crew, but I was totally inspired by a little bit from the orc boar chariot in the O&G book, saying savage orcs hadn't really been succesful with their chariots yet on account of using square wheels! So I wanted to build a couple like that.

Sounds a lot like my army - it's mostly Savage Orcs and Forest Goblins. I've taken some off the spiders to be on foot (or rather knees, as they're kneeling down), taken the Flinga' from the Arachnarok and stuck it on the rock lobba. I've also used the Forest Goblin Hero on Gigantic spider as my mangler squig. And the mini spiders from the Arachnarok are on bases to be used as a squig herd (with the goblins from that kit on foot behind them). I'm still planning on doing a spider chariot (instead of wolf) and savage boar chariots.

ColShaw
08-03-2012, 22:16
I have a Narnia-themed Beastman army (small woodland creatures count-as Ungors, Centaurs and Unicorns count-as Centigors, Bears count-as Minotaurs, etc.) which hardly ever gets played.

Looks pretty, though. Uses mostly Reaper minis (they make a lot of nice small animal pieces).

thegoss84
08-03-2012, 22:24
I love themed armies. I have an all skink army, a Slaanesh Chaos Warrior army, and an all Goblin army.
I don't see a whole lot of themed armies in my area though. But I hear a couple of people are working on their own Spider-Goblin armies.

I've never seen a themed Skaven army. I'd be interested in playing/building an all Moulder, Eshin, or Pestilence clan... mostly because I think the Skyre (sp?) stuff is overused.

Sexiest_hero
08-03-2012, 22:45
always wanted to see a wasting Nurgle army. Idk why they go with fatties, when so many illnesses make you skin and bones. Also I'd wanna see a glutton Slannash army with food stuffling fatties.

Lord Dan
09-03-2012, 00:00
I have a Sylvanian themed Empire army, which I'm honestly surprised I don't see more of.

Orrinocco
09-03-2012, 09:00
I have a Sylvanian themed Empire army, which I'm honestly surprised I don't see more of.

I read this as Sylvanian Families themed army, which conjured up a very different image to the one intended *8-)

wizbix
09-03-2012, 09:28
There are plenty of examples of all common goblin armies out there. Check out www.da-warpath an dyou may find some there! There are also people there working on all savage armies, Savages & forest Goblins, all night goblin, All Orc. I like my themes too. I tend no tot field savage or black orcs because I have tried to make a back story to my armies and it doesnt include those not so common (fluff wise) units.

Morkash
09-03-2012, 10:19
Hmm, true. There was even a nice article 6-8 years ago in the White Dwarf, which showed Sylvanians before Vlad and the change in iconography and so on. Great read and great drawings!

It's been quite some time since I saw a themed Skaven army, not sure if I saw one since the new AB was released. I think WoC/DoC are the most common, since it is very easy to theme them. That said, our dear Grandfather deserves our love for sure, nothing wrong with that!

A Dwarf army without gunpowder would be interesting to see. Of course exclusively made of awesome Marauder Dwarfs...a man can dream, can't he? :)

mrtn
09-03-2012, 10:28
I have a Narnia-themed Beastman army (small woodland creatures count-as Ungors, Centaurs and Unicorns count-as Centigors, Bears count-as Minotaurs, etc.) which hardly ever gets played.

Looks pretty, though. Uses mostly Reaper minis (they make a lot of nice small animal pieces).You need a army plog for that, and a link to it in your sig. ;)

I have a Southlands theme beastmen army, and there are quite a few more around. I also have a nurgling army.

boli
09-03-2012, 10:32
Clan Eshin themed for skaven simply won't function although it will look extremely strange to see; the only way you can make it viable is to actually include a vermin lord

[168] 20 night runners w. Nightleader & Slings (Assasin)
[160] 19 night runners w. Nightleader & Slings (Warlord Bunker)
[160] 19 night runners w. Nightleader & Slings (BSB Bunker)

[176] 8 Gutter Runners w. Deathrunner & Slings + WarpGrinder
[116] 8 Gutter Runners w. Deathrunner & Slings

[480] 4 Assasins
[70] Chieftain (BSB)

[90] Warlord
[500] Vermin Lord

2424 points

Could you see this working in a tournament? :P

TheCaptain
09-03-2012, 11:33
Ive been putting together a Skaven clan Moulder army (very so slowly mind you)
Looks very pretty on the table, performs on the odd occasion but if awesome fun to use. Rats big and small!

Urgat
09-03-2012, 12:11
Well my army is mostly centered around common goblins, though I do have nighties and foresties in there. One of my regular opponents plays undivided chaos warriors (undivided as in "no mark"), and my bro plays a bretonnian army where half the points are not knights. I think I face pretty unusual armies, all in all.

Grocklock
09-03-2012, 13:20
id love to see an empire army consisting of halflings,

but i have see an ogre army with a japanese theme, and a beatman army where they were half man half tiger, but tigerman just doesnt sound cool. but neet looking army.

CaptainCo
09-03-2012, 13:29
Something I haventīs seen so far (and thatīs why I am working on it):

A Santa Claus themed Wood Efl Army...

All the GladeGuards painted as Santas Elves, red shoes and all...
Snowmen as Dryads
Bigger Snowmen as Treeman
and: Santa Himself as Orion...

the sad thing is: I already have all the models I need for that... hm... letīs get painting...

Other things I have in my Warhammer collection:

"Avatar" themed Ogres...complete in Blue without Bellies, but with tails
Bretonnian Vampire Counts... The Men-at-Arms make a great Mash-up with Zombies
DIY ChaosDwarfs
my communist Goblin Army... all Goblins, and a lot of redflags...

Morax
09-03-2012, 13:36
There are 2 themes I've always wanted to do:

the only good elf is a dead elf; high elves, but dead ones. Yeah, an undead high elf army, with zombie and skeletal troops, dead creatures (dragons, griffons etc.) and blood knight dragon princes, using the high elf rules.

Night goblin shamans fit as forrest goblin shamans if they are licking toads instead of eating shrooms. Just sayin...

brother_maynard
09-03-2012, 13:45
one of the guys in my group has a pirate themed ogre army that is just fantastic.

Infern0
09-03-2012, 14:06
I really wanted to make a Slaanesh DE army, like in WD 296.
Was also thinking of making an olny-skink-and-monsters army.

DareX2
09-03-2012, 15:03
Orc lootas. Arrer boyz with guns, Black Orcs with feathered hats, tattered poofy sleeves and orcy greatswords, mortars stuffed with squigs as rock lobbas, an arachnarok armoured with the remains of a steam tank, cannons firing doom divers, pistolier wolf riders, snotling pump wagons fashioned to look like a mini steam tanks... I think there's a lot of fun to be had with the idea.

TheLegend
09-03-2012, 15:04
I do a dragon themed dwarf army. I use a dragon rider for the gyro (warmaster dragon), and a larger dragon for the grudge thrower (it drops flaming barrels of booze on the enemy). The idea is that the dwarves all all from lost Karaks, so I also have mountain goats pulling wagons for unit fillers. I'm working on an idea for a three headed dragon to use as the organ gun.

Griffonclaw
09-03-2012, 15:25
A lot of these themed armies sound awesome! If there is any possibility for some of you; PICS!

Andy p
09-03-2012, 15:27
Ive always wanted to do a winter themed goblin wolf rider + chariot army as mentioned by the OP.

But money is a bit of an issue and the wolf rider models are hideous. I could of course make use of the new wolves, but that comes under the heading of money issues.

Banville
09-03-2012, 15:39
Someone else mentioned it but a Bretonnian Peasant Uprising would be brilliant to see. You'd need to do counts as for a Lord and a KotR compulsory choice but you could jsustify it by saying that they're humane and liberal landlords who want emancipation for the down-trodden. An army based on the United Irishmen of the 1798 Rising might be good fun to build.

I'd love to see a Slayer-themed Dwarf army too.

BigbyWolf
09-03-2012, 16:01
I'll tell you one theme you won't be seeing anymore...Krazy Konrad von Karstein and his Zero-magic Vampire Counts. By far my most used army over the last couple of years, but now thanks to the new armybook I can't use it anymore.

I am starting to put together an entirely mounted Lizardmen army now (taking advantage of unwanted and very cheap Saurus cav...), which is a nice theme...but dependant on a character (Kroq-gar) that I can only take in larger games (3K).

Lord Dan
09-03-2012, 16:13
A lot of these themed armies sound awesome! If there is any possibility for some of you; PICS!
At the risk of feeling like an idiot if you weren't talking about my post, sure!:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb113/SirLordDan/009-12.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb113/SirLordDan/004-21.jpg

N810
09-03-2012, 16:33
id love to see an empire army consisting of halflings,

but i have see an ogre army with a japanese theme, and a beatman army where they were half man half tiger, but tigerman just doesnt sound cool. but neet looking army.

You mean you haven't seen Moot's Hafling Empire army yet?

@bigbywolf, I have the makings of a Saurus Cav army myself,
with around 24 or so cold one cav models.

Uberskooper
09-03-2012, 17:01
I'd love to do a Khainite Dark Elf army but only 2 units to really choose from, no magic and wafer thin heroes would make it fairly uncompetitive.

I have run a pretty successful Khanite themed army. It included every Khanite-themed unit from the book (Witch Elves, Executioners, Death Hag BSB, Cauldron of Blood, harpies, and an assassin). A horde of Executioners with a BSB (with an always strikes first banner) do pretty well against a lot of stuff. Also Khanites can have magic. In the Malus Darkblade books, they have magicians and brass is a sacred metal. Thus I run Lore of Metal with my sorceress and call her the "high priestess of brass." It rounded out the army nicely.

One theme I have always wanted to do was run a pirate themed Dark Elf army. Corsairs, Bolt Throwers, Dark Riders, and maybe a sea monster Hydra, lead by a Highborn. I have never gotten around to it though. I have also wanted to run a "monster themed" Dark Elf army that would include every possible monster from the book. A Highborn on a dragon, hydras, a BSB on a manticore, and Cold One Knights. I'm not sure how much fun that would be though.

EndlessBug
09-03-2012, 17:50
I have run a pretty successful Khanite themed army. It included every Khanite-themed unit from the book (Witch Elves, Executioners, Death Hag BSB, Cauldron of Blood, harpies, and an assassin). A horde of Executioners with a BSB (with an always strikes first banner) do pretty well against a lot of stuff. Also Khanites can have magic. In the Malus Darkblade books, they have magicians and brass is a sacred metal. Thus I run Lore of Metal with my sorceress and call her the "high priestess of brass." It rounded out the army nicely.

One theme I have always wanted to do was run a pirate themed Dark Elf army. Corsairs, Bolt Throwers, Dark Riders, and maybe a sea monster Hydra, lead by a Highborn. I have never gotten around to it though. I have also wanted to run a "monster themed" Dark Elf army that would include every possible monster from the book. A Highborn on a dragon, hydras, a BSB on a manticore, and Cold One Knights. I'm not sure how much fun that would be though.

I used to do a monster themed DE book, Dark Riders core, Knights and chariots special, Hydras rare and a dragon, manticore and pegasi lords/heroes.

You can also use 'blood mages', one of them in the book too. At a push maybe enslaved mages?

BigbyWolf
09-03-2012, 17:54
@bigbywolf, I have the makings of a Saurus Cav army myself, with around 24 or so cold one cav models.

I'm at 40 so far! :p

Just need a Horned one, a Carnosaur*, some and some stegadons.

*- It's a shame that so many of my themed armies are made around special characters, I'd love it if these characterful armies were possible without them, but at the moment I have to use Kroq-Gar, Throgg, Skrolk, and formerly Konrad.

Lord Inquisitor
09-03-2012, 17:54
i field an all female, all slaanesh pink warriors of chaos army led by Amy winehouse.
The internet demands pics!

I have an all Slannesh DoC List, was fun to build adn paint and looks great but usally they just gets their a$$es handed to them.
You can make all-slaanesh work (specifically the Ld bomb is very effective). I can point you to some threads for suggestions if you want.

TsukeFox
09-03-2012, 20:38
Soon very soon:
thunder-THunDer-THUNDERCATS Hoo-!!

MummRa the Everliving Tombkings army-!!
All skelton mounts replaced with cold ones (mostly cause TK mounts are ***** compared to new black knights.)
Since old school mummras legions were mutants- I hope to give the skeletons & tombgaurd Beastman & saurus heads, painted undead like of course.
Mummras symbol on all banners
I plan to use the new vamp necro body as Mummra (all TK Liche priest are laamee) & just with hope find an oop TK mummy for the head. Change the staff of course tO be more eygpitian.
Tomb Prince/king to have a Scarvets body with the Tombgaurd captain head.

All theory of course. Suggestions welcomed-!

SanDiegoSurrealist
09-03-2012, 22:31
You can make all-slaanesh work (specifically the Ld bomb is very effective). I can point you to some threads for suggestions if you want.

Thanks that would be great. I built the whole list around that and it worked well at 2500 points in tournament play.

The problem now is for league play restrictions there are no special characters allowed, only get to pick 2 Magic Lore, I picked Slannesh and Metal. Since there are 5 WoC, 4 Ogre and 3 or 4 Skaven players in my league needed something to deal with Regeneration that is why I went with Metal. It is working well so far, won 3 lost 2, but have added some Bloodletters and Flamers to be more competitive.

Grocklock
10-03-2012, 13:29
You mean you haven't seen Moot's Hafling Empire army yet?

@bigbywolf, I have the makings of a Saurus Cav army myself,
with around 24 or so cold one cav models.
I saw one back in the day in a fanatic press article but not a more resent version

thesheriff
10-03-2012, 16:32
I saw one back in the day in a fanatic press article but not a more resent version

Behold!!!!!! (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?208215-The-Moot-strikes-back!)

yabbadabba
10-03-2012, 17:01
I have always wanted to use this chap (http://www.gamedecor.com/abasworld/images/Cyclops.JPG) as the basis of a goblin army, all mounted in fortified howdahs carried by giants, with the giant's base size reflecting the real unit size.

I had an image of squigs and squig hoppers parachuting off the top ....

As an aside the past 2 editions of WFB there were some big debates over Empire Halberiers which were generally seen as no good compared to spearmen and swordsmen, and whether they should be a 1+ because of the background. Now it appears that Empire armies are populated by literal hordes of them.

Echunia
11-03-2012, 00:59
Clan Eshin themed for skaven simply won't function although it will look extremely strange to see; the only way you can make it viable is to actually include a vermin lord

[160] 19 night runners w. Nightleader & Slings (Warlord Bunker)
[160] 19 night runners w. Nightleader & Slings (BSB Bunker)

[176] 8 Gutter Runners w. Deathrunner & Slings + WarpGrinder
[116] 8 Gutter Runners w. Deathrunner & Slings

[480] 4 Assasins
[70] Chieftain (BSB)

[90] Warlord
[500] Vermin Lord

2424 points

Could you see this working in a tournament? :P

If you want to play all eshin I would suggest at least 30 gutter runners. Drop deathrunners and warpgrinder ALWAYS take poison ;-). If you want warpgrinder, then put it on a nightrunner unit. I agree that this is a theme that's never seen. It's probably mostly due to terrible models.

I would like to see a true kislev army! Very expensive thou :/

TrojanWolf
11-03-2012, 01:45
I originally built my Skaven army as a Clan Moulder army with a few other units from other places, but I've added quite a bit to it so that it's not so Clan Moulder anymore (but they still feature heavily, and I never leave without a Rat Ogre unit and their master moulder :D).

I did take an almost all Moulder list to a tournament once (except for a few warlord bits painted as Moulder and a single Assassin), and while it didn't do fantastic I still thought it was a fun army.

boli
11-03-2012, 03:21
If you want to play all eshin I would suggest at least 30 gutter runners. Drop deathrunners and warpgrinder ALWAYS take poison ;-). If you want warpgrinder, then put it on a nightrunner unit. I agree that this is a theme that's never seen. It's probably mostly due to terrible models.

it was more an random selection of a possible and legal 2.5k eshin than an actual playable theme; but yes there are better tweaks to this list I just decided to do a spam assasin and core unit list.. either way you're defiantly going to struggle with this theme an the only way you have a chance is with a vermin lord or grey seer.

Hixon1979
11-03-2012, 04:10

I have a Skaven/orge themed Vamps count army. Its more of less an army for all the non-human races. My Lord is Queek Headtaker.
I am currently working on my corpse cart/ Mortis engine. Its going to be a Screaming bell with a slaughter master riding it. My level one necromancers and such are gnoblars painted like voodoo necromancers. Many of my zombies are ogres painted like voodoo zombies. My blood knights are DE cold one cav. My Crypt horrors are rat ogres. I was thinking of throwing in some dwarves and skaven slaves to be some zombies.

http://i.imgur.com/qLsfL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XRpa4.jpg (http://imgur.com/XRpa4)

http://i.imgur.com/XRpa4.jpg

*Edited for more Pictures.

Red Gevhere
11-03-2012, 06:06
one of the guys in my group has a pirate themed ogre army that is just fantastic.

I have a fully painted Pirate Themed Empire Army.

No WP/AL...no altar
No Cavalry, though I did convert a unit of Pistoliers....but I never use them
No STanks

I do use flagellants, but they are made up of Long Drong's Slayer pirates lead by the New White Dwarf Model!!!

My 2,500 list number at around 225 models

-Totenkopf-
11-03-2012, 06:50
A long time ago, my best friend had an entire slayer army.. It was awesome to look at and played very well too. It was full of amazing dioramas of slayers taking out giants and deamons and the like. He had several gyrocopters with slayer crew as well. He had the same army equipped with with machine guns and cigars too and took them as his space dwarves. Both armies had a cool Vietnam/rambo theme to it.

I have an entirely mounted TK army.. It was unique when the book came out but is much more common now. I am working on adding legions of pike carrying skellies to my collection and doing a really cool greek/romanesque themed horde list with catapults and such. I want a unit of gladiators too but I cant think of a cool way of getting skirmishers into the list. I may have to stick with a few dioramas for that

-Totenkopf-
11-03-2012, 07:10
I also just played a lower points game with an almost entirely entombed beneath the sands list. Scored a win vs my buddies nasty deamon army. He looked confused when all I put down was a unit of horse archers and ten bowmen.. 6 sepurhcal stalkers killed 3 fiends and 25 bloodletters with shooting attacks alone. 3 chariots popped up too and helped finish off the last block of letters..
I have just scaled the list up in points and can't wait to try it vs some ogres

Lord_Byron
11-03-2012, 08:38
Artic Tomb Kings and desert Wood Elves.

I thought about doing a Game of Thrones themed Bret army, with units painted the great house colors and sporting the closest iconography you can muster from the GW line. I just don't really have any interest in the Brets as an army.

For the armies I do have, I didn't really theme them beyond color selection. Bit of a shame really.

dementian
11-03-2012, 15:26
I mentioned I was running a Skaven vs WoC campaign. I pretty much copied lore information from the Skaven Army book so copyright GW just to be safe.

This is a link to the prologue for the campaign.135076
This is the list that fights the first battle, each of the armies is entirely from one clan, as Clan Eshin is the scouts/assassins they strike first.135072
Well we did the first battle and Clan Eshin got stomped. (In it's defense my opponent used a level 4 nurgle sorcerer on a barded horse...-1 to hit, 2+ AS, 4++....Anyway this is the second battle that features Clan Moulder attempting to force their way deep into the Chaos Wastes as the Vanguard of the overall Skaven Force. 135073
Third battle features Clan Pestilens. The story here is that while Clan Moulder was chosen to be a big fighting force coming from Hell Pit, the members of Clan Pestilens want to increase their standing in Skavenblight by stealing glory from Moulder and striking from another area.135074

This is technically the second last fight with Clan Skryre waiting patiently for Clan Moulder and Clan Pestilens mess up the Chaos Wastes and they are heading with the enough firepower to blow up the rest of the Warrior forces. 135075

There is another battle planned for after it...its going to be a 3k battle (we haven't done above 2k before). Essentially it will be the hardest list I can make using all of the best goodies from the Skaven Army...135077.

So those are my armies, after the first battle Where my opponent used 17 trolls + throgg, that lvl 4 nurgle sorceror, and a bunch of marauders I had a talk to him about making a little overbearing lists for the first battle lol. Honestly at any one point half of his army had 4+ regen...anyways for the Clan Moulder list he has put together a no magic Khorne Army so at the very least magic won't stomp me just all the khorne attacks haha.

Dreadlordpaul
11-03-2012, 19:30
i wanna do a eragon themed vampires army :D

shadekiller
12-03-2012, 00:14
why vampires? would it not be better if you used high elves? you need a suitable dragon rider so a high elf lord with the item that makes him mage lvl 1 could do the trick! (on a star dragon of course...)

karse88
12-03-2012, 00:43
is that even possible?

Dreadlordpaul
12-03-2012, 09:40
hmmm i had not thought about high elves

Awilla the Hun
12-03-2012, 13:16
Someone else mentioned it but a Bretonnian Peasant Uprising would be brilliant to see. You'd need to do counts as for a Lord and a KotR compulsory choice but you could jsustify it by saying that they're humane and liberal landlords who want emancipation for the down-trodden. An army based on the United Irishmen of the 1798 Rising might be good fun to build.

I'd love to see a Slayer-themed Dwarf army too.

Comrade! Your interest in revolutionary affairs is most gratifying and pleasing to behold, for it is only through revolution that the proletariat of the Old World can be truly liberated from their exploitative masters. Might I direct you towards the Red Guards battle report thread? Failure to read it will result in you being forced to make a spontaneous self criticism by the Commissariat of Public Safety.

Weird armies I have heard of include the infamous explicit Slaaneshi army and the British POW SS Imperial Guardsmen. I have played against an all forest spirit wood elf army, which looked quite fantastic. Most were purged by the red fire of the revolution, apart from a bunch of Treekin who killed almost everything they encountered. I would like to see an all Sigmarite fanatic Empire army, if only for the ham to ham combat which will inevitably ensue between their Warrior Priests and Glorious Comrade von Stahl.

AlphariusOmegon20
13-03-2012, 21:03
I love themed armies. I have an all skink army, a Slaanesh Chaos Warrior army, and an all Goblin army.
I don't see a whole lot of themed armies in my area though. But I hear a couple of people are working on their own Spider-Goblin armies.

I've never seen a themed Skaven army. I'd be interested in playing/building an all Moulder, Eshin, or Pestilence clan... mostly because I think the Skyre (sp?) stuff is overused.

LOL I've got an all Pestilens one.

Da_White_Orc
13-03-2012, 21:40
i've seen great pics orcs and goblins without green skin online but never seen an army like that in person

they look pretty stellar

Loki73
13-03-2012, 21:42
I will hopefully be running a savage orc themed army soon! Check my sig for progress! I love the theme of armies. Don't see it much.
I have seen a good troll themed army and a goblin spider army from the same player in my area.

vinush
13-03-2012, 21:43
I must admit, I was thinking of doing my all gobbo army in a different colour other than green... Perhaps Purple skinned...

TrueKin
14-03-2012, 08:54
I've been planning on a Frost Orc army. The latest book has a short piece of fluff about fur-clad orcs living in pine-forests. Somehow the image of jolly (stereotypical) Canadian-like lumberjack Orcs seems awesome to me. :D To a slightly lesser extend, I've been also interested in savage O&G, much like that described by The bearded one. The netball-flinging Fanatics are a new idea to me, and sound awesome! Too bad my Night Gobbos already handle that business...

I've already got a pure Night Goblin army, and my Wood Elves are all Elves, no forest spirits. All of my Chaos armies in both systems are based on Tzeentch, and I've been the Tzeentch player of our gaming group ever since I first picked Tzeentchian mortals all those years ago.

DaHobgoblin
14-03-2012, 11:12
This is interesting because the initial question was themes you never see and the responses are largely rare themes that have been seen :-)

As for something I have never seen. Never seen an army (of any type) with a Native American look to it - although i am sure that there must be plenty among our US friends.
Never seen an undead Dwarf army. Never seen an empire army themed around the colleges of magic. Although frequently discussed I have never seen an Estalian army, with the conquistidor style helmets etc. Never really seen much in the way of themed Dark elf armies, would like to see one clearly solely from one of the cities

TheDungen
14-03-2012, 11:38
I used to have a chrace based HE army, but when i came back after like 5 years of not playing I was seeing chrace armies evrywhere (damn lion chariot) so i started a nagarythe themed army.
When i watched Game of thrones however my chrace roots came back to me, chracians feel like the starks of the warhammer world to me. They live on an island to the west futherest north of anyone. And Eveyone else view them as brutes and barbarians. Just sad that i cant give my Helfs beard in the warhamemr IP =( well i have to make them look rugged (for high elves mind you) in some other way.

Anyway, I have a half finished Nagarythe army (1000 pts)
and
whats left of my charce army. (took things from it to make my nagarythe army)

i also have a empire army based on the storm of chaos campaign, a mottled remenent army thats suposed to be an army drafted from the survivors and deserters of other armies under the banner of a retired general who came back to help the empire in its direst hour. (Created and played it during SoC)

When someone said something about IG and brettonians i got a great idea for a wh 40k army (I know this si the wrong forum but sinc eyou gave me the idea...) a Ig army based on a planet stuck in the victorian era using parts from Empire militia, brettonian men-at-arms and Ig... Just what i needed another project =P

laribold
14-03-2012, 14:32
I must admit, I was thinking of doing my all gobbo army in a different colour other than green... Perhaps Purple skinned...

Albino Gobbos?

Surely all those Night goblins living underground for so long would lose their skin pigmentation...

RTGamer
14-03-2012, 15:42
Apart from them coming up to fight the other armies on their nice lush fields. :D

TheDungen
14-03-2012, 17:28
I must admit, I was thinking of doing my all gobbo army in a different colour other than green... Perhaps Purple skinned... First GW model i ever painted was an old space ork and i was so young i had no idea orcs were suposed to be green so i painted him is scrab red (With scorpion green clothes). Looked kinda nice actually. Or well the color was nice, the paint job was horrible.

Lorcryst
15-03-2012, 14:46
Well, I'm a thematic player, I cannot write an army list without a bit of theme in it ... so I have a Night Goblin tribe (NGs, Squigs, nothing else), I'm planning a Wolf Rider tribe (lotsa wolves and a couple of chariots), my WoC armies tend to be themed around a Chaos God (currently Nurgle with a rusted effect on the armour of my Warriors, see my plog, link in sig), I have bought most of a High Elf Lothern army, and so on ...

On the other hand, my opponents themes are generally "what hurts the most" or "WAAC" ... makes for quite one-sided games, where my fluffy, non-optimized lists tend to be flattened ...

But I don't despair ! A couple of friends and their son just started with Dwarves, and I hope I can convert them to the fluffy side of things ! (good start : they are roleplayers above anything else, so they have little stories about their models, build them to be little characters, using fluffy but non-optimal weapon loadouts ... alas, they love cannons ...).

xisor83
15-03-2012, 15:50
i've seen great pics orcs and goblins without green skin online but never seen an army like that in person

they look pretty stellar

heres my red skinned fireborne tribe im on with at the minute
I dhave written fluff for them but basically its that they live under the fire mountain and after eating the local mushrooms and wildlife they have all turned red.

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/xisor_photo/07032012457.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/xisor_photo/07032012458.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/xisor_photo/09032012463.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/xisor_photo/08032012461.jpg

Hoping to have 1500 points ready for an event in 4 weeks

scoopdeta
16-03-2012, 14:18
I go back to when I was a young kid and walked into my first hobby store looking for a game my friend had told me about. The clerk at the counter showed me around and told me all about Warhammer. He then brought m to a display case that held the winner of their last tournament. It was a beastmen army that was truly amazing. It was packed with ungors...it was simply awesome looking. Had a couple unites of beastmen and minotaurs...but was overwhelmingly ungor based. Just a very dark broodish army. I have always wanted to build something similiar....just a horde rof ungors skirmishing across the table.

Malorian
16-03-2012, 14:34
Had a couple unites of beastmen and minotaurs...but was overwhelmingly ungor based.

I weep for him, and how he would have had to rebase his entire army for the new book :(

scoopdeta
16-03-2012, 14:41
I weep for him, and how he would have had to rebase his entire army for the new book :(

This was quite some time ago...probably early nineties. It wa sthe old school beastmen models...they were the real reason i got into Warhammer.

yabbadabba
16-03-2012, 16:28
I weep for him, and how he would have had to rebase his entire army for the new book :( I think it could be easier done than imagined, but its still a pain in the fundament.

Freak Ona Leash
18-03-2012, 02:57
In a White Dwarf a few years back, during the Storm of Chaos if I recall, there was an article on all the different Chaos armies the Staff had. Gav Thorpe's was themed as the Ironborn from George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, complete with gold-and-black color scheme, Kraken insignia and the words "We Do Not Sow" on a banner I believe. I have since wondered why I have never seen another ASoIaF-themed army, considering how popular the books are and especially now with HBO's excellent A Game of Thrones series. Had I more money and more time, The Boltons of Dreadfort might find themselves as part of a Warriors of Chaos army. Our Blades are Sharp... :skull:

CommissarKlink
18-03-2012, 05:29
In a White Dwarf a few years back, during the Storm of Chaos if I recall, there was an article on all the different Chaos armies the Staff had. Gav Thorpe's was themed as the Ironborn from George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, complete with gold-and-black color scheme, Kraken insignia and the words "We Do Not Sow" on a banner I believe. I have since wondered why I have never seen another ASoIaF-themed army, considering how popular the books are and especially now with HBO's excellent A Game of Thrones series. Had I more money and more time, The Boltons of Dreadfort might find themselves as part of a Warriors of Chaos army. Our Blades are Sharp... :skull:

If I ever win the lottery, I will make a Lannister army, a Stark army, a Baratheon army (those three out of Perry WotR figs), an Ironmen army (mostly Gripping Beast Vikings), a Wildling army (Warlord Celts), and a Dothraki army (???). I will then proceed to run a map-based Westeros campaign, using variant WHFB rules and loaning armies out to my friends as needed to battle for control of the Iron Throne.

By the Seven, it will be glorious.

And with regard to the original post - I have seen a huge variety of themed armies on various forums and such, often much cleverer than anything I could imagine. I guess the only thing I haven't seen is an Ind army or Southlands human army, but I'm sure there're a few out there somewhere...

mrtn
18-03-2012, 10:25
I guess the only thing I haven't seen is ... Southlands human army, but I'm sure there're a few out there somewhere...
The Legend of the Cannibals (http://z8.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?showtopic=22140)

swiftshadow14
18-03-2012, 23:44
I have an all goblin 2500 point list that is painted and modeled in a halloween fashion. The army is sick looking. Iv never been comped with it cus honestly who would comp an all goblin army they are just gobbos. I use all types of gobbos and love the play style. Oh and btw im 4-0-0 with this army no lie. People dont know how to counter 20 units on the table that have alot of bulk to them. Its always fun to surprise a cheesy DE or ogre army with little pathetic gobbos. Also my group is pretty competitive and everyone attends GTs alot. :P

Rybo5000
19-03-2012, 10:19
the only good elf is a dead elf; high elves, but dead ones. Yeah, an undead high elf army, with zombie and skeletal troops, dead creatures (dragons, griffons etc.) and blood knight dragon princes, using the high elf rules.her in terms of looks, as they both look a bit primitive with their feathers and bone decorations.

I didn't have heads on my Phoenix Guard, so I strongly considering doing an undead High Elf army but decided not to at the last minute :P

Charistoph
19-03-2012, 18:20
I didn't have heads on my Phoenix Guard, so I strongly considering doing an undead High Elf army but decided not to at the last minute :P

That could work... Get a horse-mounted Vampire, sans head (or maybe a pumpkin in its place?), make him a fighter with Ethereal, followed by decapped zombies and skeletons... Your Phoenix Guard are simply the Grave Guard.

Spiney Norman
20-03-2012, 00:45
Some themes are just easier to make work than others I guess

My brother had a pestilens themed skaven army, but unfortunately for him, it sucks ass because it doesn't have any of the uber broken toys that skaven are currently famous for, no hellpit, no doom wheel, no WLC.

I run a themed Night Goblin army, nothing that isn't a Night Goblin or a Squig is permitted, with the exception of the occasional Giant or river troll unit if I'm feeling generous. I'm currently looking at a "Native" themed O&G army composed only of Savage Orcs and Forest Goblins, but its not really all that good as theres only really one nasty infantry unit I can bring (SO Bigguns) and Spider riders are poop, still the SO Boar Boyz rock face and I converted a couple of Forest Goblin Bolt throwers from a few spare stegadon great bows I had lying around in my bits box. I guess some people might call that cheating since its not really a Forest Gobbo unit, but I prefer to think of it as creative conversion.

I'd like to convert myself a Horde of forest goblin infantry with some convert forest skulkaz, but its just too cost prohibitive at the moment because I can't get the goblin models I need in large enough quantity from the bits sites.

I guess I would be more inclined towards certain themes if the models were better, Night Goblins hold more attraction for me because the common goblin models are almost universally awful, whether they are on foot, on a wolf or standing behind a bolt thrower.

Geordie Vampire
20-03-2012, 02:45
My Vampire Counts army theme is pretty simple really as it focuses aroud Mannfred von Carstein, because fluff wise and gaming wise he has always been my favourite of the vampire family. But because of his background he has had battles against The Empire, High Elves, WoC and based on a section of the new book Bretonnians, dwarves and even summoning O&Gs, allowing me to incorporate those miniatures into my army. The fact that I keep to one colour scheme no matter which range im using also helps theirs being red and black, no particular reason as to why it's just the scheme I went for several years back.

My Dark Elves have no particular theme matching them together besides their purple colour scheme. Although I do want a cult of slaanesh section. My Tomb Kings, blue colour scheme, with bretonnian bits as they repelling a crusade, so my brets will have a crusade feel to them when i get round to painting them.

And finally my empire army (although only two units strong atm) im going for the battle of Hel Fenn that way it corresponds with my VC army and Mannfred so yellow and green of stirland with the undead trying to drag them down into the muddy earth and if i ever get round to WoC im going to have a general mix of the chaos gods in there cos simply its eventually going to be led by Archaon who brings them all together anyway

Strangelywierd
25-03-2012, 22:06
I was giving some thought to a forest goblin spider army, and you can do one where everything rides a spider and two arachnarok to boot, love the idea.

RanaldLoec
26-03-2012, 00:19
Night goblins painted as smurfs.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/93/224785456_4995972d6d.jpg

DareX2
26-03-2012, 03:16
I found this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58879382@N05/page2/)on Da Warpath and thought it was awesome. Goblins have never looked so noble and stylish!

benvoliothefirst
26-03-2012, 04:10

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!!

jim

That is HILARIOUS.

Let's see...
I have a dwarf build lead by a master engineer that is crammed with shooting as the engineer is a travelling salesman who crops up,defends towns then flogs them his weapons on the back of the wins!
An all tree wood elf list.not a single elf in sight and could double up in use as terrain...?
I like normal gobbos too and considered making my goblin liberation front army - goblin radicals that want to be free of the tyranny of Orks.with an ork slave unit.
A bretonian peasant uprising army with no knight units?
I like themes...

You are my hero. The terrain idea alone is worth its weight in gold.

Soon very soon:
thunder-THunDer-THUNDERCATS Hoo-!!

MummRa the Everliving Tombkings army-!!
All skelton mounts replaced with cold ones (mostly cause TK mounts are ***** compared to new black knights.)
Since old school mummras legions were mutants- I hope to give the skeletons & tombgaurd Beastman & saurus heads, painted undead like of course.
Mummras symbol on all banners
I plan to use the new vamp necro body as Mummra (all TK Liche priest are laamee) & just with hope find an oop TK mummy for the head. Change the staff of course tO be more eygpitian.
Tomb Prince/king to have a Scarvets body with the Tombgaurd captain head.

All theory of course. Suggestions welcomed-!

Promptly and respectfully stolen, athankyouverymuch!

Artic Tomb Kings and desert Wood Elves.

Well now you're just being contradictory. Why not friendly Chaos Warriors and evil halflings? :evilgrin:

I've been planning on a Frost Orc army. The latest book has a short piece of fluff about fur-clad orcs living in pine-forests. Somehow the image of jolly (stereotypical) Canadian-like lumberjack Orcs seems awesome to me. :D To a slightly lesser extend, I've been also interested in savage O&G, much like that described by The bearded one. The netball-flinging Fanatics are a new idea to me, and sound awesome! Too bad my Night Gobbos already handle that business...

Oh, I'm a lumberjork and I'm okay, I sleep all night and I work all day...

...And finally my empire army (although only two units strong atm) im going for the battle of Hel Fenn that way it corresponds with my VC army and Mannfred so yellow and green of stirland with the undead trying to drag them down into the muddy earth...

This sounds incredible. I'm very interested to see how you base this.

I found this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58879382@N05/page2/)on Da Warpath and thought it was awesome. Goblins have never looked so noble and stylish!

What. The. Fudge.

Alright, so this thread is probably the greatest thing that has ever happened to the internet. I'll throw my hat into the ring in case any of you haven't seen it yet...

Warhammer Monty Python and the Holy Grail Army by Aaron Chapman (http://www.behance.net/gallery/Monty-Python-and-the-Holy-Grail-Warhammer-Miniatures/2428458)

...But can we all agree that you are a terrible, AWFUL person if you say "I've totally built a He-Man-themed Marauders of Chaos army and it's super sweet and then DON'T PROVIDE ANY PHOTOS?!?! This is the internet, people. PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!

Dreadlordpaul
26-03-2012, 09:47
Im thinking about doing a Slaanesh WoC or DoC army led by Lady GaGa

Skarsnik, the Lord
26-03-2012, 09:49
My Little Pony themed Bretonnian army? Just saying... :D

Dreadlordpaul
26-03-2012, 10:33
My Little Pony themed Bretonnian army? Just saying... :D

I know someone whos doing that

Lorcryst
26-03-2012, 11:20

That's the "Gobbotonia" army from Tension, thread on this very site somewhere in the plogs section, and he also has started an Empire/Gobbos mix ... the bavy wyverns as pegasus knights are my favorite :p