PDA

View Full Version : Thousand Sons or Salamanders?

GW2lag
10-03-2012, 07:16
Okay, so this year I plan on entering the Armies on Parade competition, and I have found myself conflicted between these two armies: Thousand Sons (or another CSM legion) or Salamanders.
Now, I also plan on playing these forces at some point, and I have a $200 budget on all models for the competition. Any help/advice would be welcome!
A few things:
-I have a primed megaforce of regular marines, but I was planning on using that on another chapter
-New CSM codex soon, it may be worth waiting for the models from there
-I hate painting metal, so any A thousand Sons marines would likely be converted in some way
-I'd also need a board idea for each army, I'm thinking prospero-like world for A Thousand Sons, and desert army outpost for Salamanders

Thank you all in advance!

AlphariusOmegon20
10-03-2012, 17:23
Okay, so this year I plan on entering the Armies on Parade competition, and I have found myself conflicted between these two armies: Thousand Sons (or another CSM legion) or Salamanders.
Now, I also plan on playing these forces at some point, and I have a $200 budget on all models for the competition. Any help/advice would be welcome!
A few things:
-I have a primed megaforce of regular marines, but I was planning on using that on another chapter
-New CSM codex soon, it may be worth waiting for the models from there
-I hate painting metal, so any A thousand Sons marines would likely be converted in some way
-I'd also need a board idea for each army, I'm thinking prospero-like world for A Thousand Sons, and desert army outpost for Salamanders

Thank you all in advance!

Either army is rare to see at Armies on Parade, and both have some interesting conversion possibilities.

I'd go Sallies personally, you tend to already see a lot of blue Armies though. Getting that green just right is tricky. I have a formula for getting that green just right if you want it, it's 5 steps on the armor alone but damn does it look good and it matches the look of 'Eavy Metal's models.

GW2lag
11-03-2012, 01:42
Either army is rare to see at Armies on Parade, and both have some interesting conversion possibilities.

I'd go Sallies personally, you tend to already see a lot of blue Armies though. Getting that green just right is tricky. I have a formula for getting that green just right if you want it, it's 5 steps on the armor alone but damn does it look good and it matches the look of 'Eavy Metal's models.

Yes please, I tried painting one today but wasn't a fan of the green I came out with, I'd love to hear your secrets :D

AlphariusOmegon20
11-03-2012, 07:09
Yes please, I tried painting one today but wasn't a fan of the green I came out with, I'd love to hear your secrets :D

Base Knarloc green
Wash Thraka Green ( Be very liberal with your washes. there's isn't such as thing as too much in this case! Only one wash layer though. You don't need a second one if you do it right.)
Layer Snot Green (point of note; leave no part of the Knarloc showing. What you did with the knarloc and wash is just setup to make the Snot Green "pop" properly)
Highlight Scorpion Green
Wash Thraka Green. (Same thing I said about washes goes here too. Don't be afraid to be a bit sloppy with it. You can fix everything else later after the armor is finished. You're toning down the stark bright quality of the Scorp Green to something less requiring sunglasses to look at.)

It should look like the ones from C:SM when you get done.

GW2lag
11-03-2012, 18:27
Thank you very much! I'll try it soon, just need to get a pot of Scorpion Green

Twisted Ferret
12-03-2012, 05:42
Well, if you haven't already decided, here's a vote for the Sons. I think the models they have already are exceptional, and their Egyptian/sorcery theme and general color scheme/style are very striking. :) Salamanders, while also cool, are a bit more generic.

GW2lag
12-03-2012, 06:23
I do agree, which is why I'm torn. After reading prospero burns, the Thousand Sons quickly became my favorite legion. I haven't quite decided, because as nice as Salamanders are, I do know Codex:CSM coming soon and fingers crossed we get some plastic Thousand Sons (or a box of a bits that allow them to be converted). This leaves me at an impasse

Reivax26
12-03-2012, 06:35
Roll a D6 for each one and whichever is highest wins. Let the Dice Gods decide!

DietDolphin
12-03-2012, 06:41
I do agree, which is why I'm torn. After reading prospero burns, the Thousand Sons quickly became my favorite legion. I haven't quite decided, because as nice as Salamanders are, I do know Codex:CSM coming soon and fingers crossed we get some plastic Thousand Sons (or a box of a bits that allow them to be converted). This leaves me at an impasse

Have you read A Thousand Sons yet? It's the prospero incident from the Thousand Sons perspective and is viewed by many to be arguably the best HH novel yet.

Also AlphariusOmegon20 mentioned that there are quite a few blue marines (Ultras, Night Lords, Crimson fists off the top of my head). But these are mainly dark blues (with ultras being regular) so can be avoided if you are willing to paint Thousand Sons in bright ice/baby blue like this (http://www.coolminiornot.com/187224?browseid=859232) which I think looks great.

Turrican1983
12-03-2012, 07:53
Or you can go pre-heresy Red instead...

GW2lag
12-03-2012, 08:25
I have read A Thousand Sons (I keep mixing it and Prospero Burns up) and quite agree with its excellence (second only to Fulgrim in my eyes). I find that I have many red armies (tomb kings, Vanilla SM, and my IG are all red) so I doubt I'll be painting Pre-heresy, thought the idea is quite appealing. I also Reread the CSM rumours and found that if the may rumor is true, starting salamanders now may cause me to regret the decision later on.