PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Deathstar for the points you pay for it?

Reivax26
10-03-2012, 08:22
Basically just what the title says. What is the best "Deathstar" unit in the game for the points you pay for it? Lets make some rules for this: It has to be an HQ plus one of the following: Elite, Fast Attack, Troop or Heavy support choice.

Comment away

angelofrage
10-03-2012, 09:27
Ones that I personally field? Vulkan + Librarian + 5 TH/SS terminators in a LR Crusader. Although that is more than just a HQ and 1 other slot. So i'll also include Farseer + 8 Warlocks all on jetbikes.

I'm also starting to collect Tyranids and am planning on including a Swarmlord + 3 guard + Prime in some lists.

xxRavenxx
10-03-2012, 09:47
Seems a weighted question, in that some armies can do a powerful unit out of that, but others don't get dedicated landraiders, for example, or don't use slots (seer council and necron court for example.)

You are almost certain to get a reply of: Terminators, in a crusader. Since other options are blocked out.

I'll go with those highly expencive draigo knights, in a crusader, with every upgrade possible. I presume that given I get to spend an extra couple of hundred points like that, they'll be the best... :)

koran
10-03-2012, 10:05
Im going to go for the eldar option.

10 wraithguard, warlock with conceal, karandras (and a farseer near by or in the unit). Thats a LOAD of toughness 6 with a 3+ and 4+ cover save even in the open (3+ if they are actually in woods or ruins) with a reroll from fortune, always wound on a 2+ shooting with AP2, 1 (plus another 1 for the farseer) S9 shots vs vehicles and if it does get into CC it has 6 powerfist attacks and it pretty tricky to wound. Most importantly (in my opinion) is that it can claim objectives because its troops (and could even claim two if they are close enough).

Now if you're looking at a match up of deathstar VS deathstar in a vacuum then this wont win as it is not as strong as some units in CC. But when you conciser what else is in the army you can take out enemy tanks at long range (or with some fast moving firedragons in a transport) and that unit can comfortably take the shooting of an entire army and shrug it off.

trigger
10-03-2012, 10:38
Nob bikers with a boss or meq on bike.
Ragnar , wolf priest and wolf guard.
Sanguine guard , sanguinor and a sanguine priest.
Logan and a unit of longfangs with a wolf guard.
Draigo and his knights of the round table.

There is quite a few

angelofrage
10-03-2012, 10:40
Sanguine guard , sanguinor and a sanguine priest.

The Sanguinor cannot join units, so your best bet would be Dante instead.

ss_cherubael
10-03-2012, 12:25
Vect + Dias + incubi

archonisthebesthqever
10-03-2012, 16:11
Necron deathstars easly outperform every else in the game ;PMindsackle scarabs ;/A story of pain and misery.My friend runs 7 lychguard,1 trazyn,1 2 lords and some crypteks.It seems unbeatable to me.

Ereshkigal
10-03-2012, 20:25
Just shoot it down?

Project2501
10-03-2012, 20:41
What is the best Deathstar for the points you pay for it?
Basically just what the title says. What is the best "Deathstar" unit in the game for the points you pay for it? Lets make some rules for this: It has to be an HQ plus one of the following: Elite, Fast Attack, Troop or Heavy support choice.

Comment away

Are you asking what I consider the best deathstar I can build for my army is?

Are you asking what I consider the most cost efficient deathstar I can build for my army is?

Are you asking what I consider the best deathstar of any army is?

Are you asking what I consider the most cost efficient deathstar of any army is?

Reivax26
10-03-2012, 20:50
Project: All of the above. What army do you play? What is your Deathstar? Things like that.

carlisimo
10-03-2012, 21:09
30 jump pack Death Company with thunder hammers, and Astorath. Throw in Lemartes (no additional slot) and you're at 2,320 points. You can add 90 points for 6 infernus or plasma pistols, but we need to show some restraint...

Seville
10-03-2012, 21:30
Someone mentioned it above, but, I think the best Deathstar is pretty obviously assault terminators. Tooled-up GK Paladins can be pretty good, too.

But, for my personal death star, I run (Blood Angels)

5 Assault Terminators (3 with SS/TH), Sanguinary Priest in TDA, Epistolary in TDA and Storm Shield with Unleash Rage, Might of Heroes

In terms of offensive output, it's really overkill against anything you might care to throw it at, and obviously it's got some great resiliency.

fusionmonkey
10-03-2012, 23:22
death cult assassins with an inquisitor with rad grenades and then hammer hand him and the unit. so against T4 you wound on 2+ with a million high I high WS attacks. and its dirt cheap and can deal with most deathstars itself

_Chimaera
10-03-2012, 23:48
Keeping in theme with the month and TWC just being released. A pretty crazy one would be below.

4 x Wolf Lords on TWC with a mixture of TH/PF/FB/WC all with SS maxed out with Runic, WTN, WTT, melta bomb & a unique Saga (could mess about with the wargear/weapons if you wanted to stick to the Codex unique rules or change them slightly on wargear and go with TH/SS all round).
8 x Fenrisian Wolves as battle gear to go with the above.
5 x TWC with SS and one with a Frost blade or TH + MB's.

All in for around 1600pts with a possible damage output below.
29 x power weapon attacks.
20 x rending attacks.
32 x close combat attacks.
81 possible attacks in total.

17 x models.
30 x wound slots.
9 x models hitting at a minimum of strength 5, toughness of 5 & inv save of 3.
4 x models additionally with 2+ armour saves, 5+ psychic inv save, 4 WTN psychic saves & all always hitting on a 3+ no matter the targets WS.

Not a very cost effecient build but would be very fun to see it hit the enemies ranks & you could still get the 4 troop choices in with the remaining 400pts at 2000pts to make it legal :)

Oppressor
10-03-2012, 23:58
30 jump pack Death Company with thunder hammers, and Astorath. Throw in Lemartes (no additional slot) and you're at 2,320 points. You can add 90 points for 6 infernus or plasma pistols, but we need to show some restraint...
LOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

My ribs hurt now.....

a1elbow
11-03-2012, 03:14
Necron deathstars easly outperform every else in the game ;PMindsackle scarabs ;/A story of pain and misery.My friend runs 7 lychguard,1 trazyn,1 2 lords and some crypteks.It seems unbeatable to me.

Depending what is going on with that squad, its illegal. The most lords and or Crypteks you can have in a unit is two, if you have two Overlords. If you have two Overlords (including the SC) you can take two Courts and end up with seven Lychguard, Traz, potentially another IC, and some combination of two Lords and or Crypteks (for a total of eleven models).

carldooley
11-03-2012, 05:22
3 vendettas? 390-420 pts. 1 FA slot? Good luck closing with it to kill it in CC. . .

Reivax26
11-03-2012, 08:39
I happen to like the Daemon Deathstar. Skulltaker on a Juggernaught along with 8 Crushers of Khorne. The squad comes to 535 points. They have:
19 wounds to play wound allocation shenanigans with
32 WS 5, Str 6, Ini 5 attacks on a charge
5 WS 7, Str 6, Ini 6 attacks on a charge (that rend on a 4+ and if you fail an invul or don't have EW you get instagibbed)
Those are all power weapon attacks by the way. Str and T 5 base with 2 wounds and they will wreck SS/TH Terminators.

Reivax26
11-03-2012, 08:42
I have never seen a Tau deathstar but I would imagine its Farsight with 7 Crisis Suit bodyguards all with the Fireknife setup. That would be 14 str 7 shots and 14 str 6 shots if you are within 12''. Now markerlights can make all that hit on a 2+....nasty.

DietDolphin
11-03-2012, 09:01
Are you asking what I consider the most cost efficient deathstar of any army is?

Comment away

Ummm I don't see how you missed this...

Project2501
11-03-2012, 09:36
Ummm I don't see how you missed this...Ummm... I didn't, that's exactly why I asked those four questions in my last post...

You must have missed the thread title:
What is the best Deathstar for the points you pay for it?

The grammar is ambiguous in both at best.

Oh, and how could you have missed this reply by the OP?

Project: All of the above. What army do you play? What is your Deathstar? Things like that.

Dreadlordpaul
11-03-2012, 10:04
archon husk blade soul trap combat drugs shadow fields phantasm grenade launcher + drazhar +10 incubi with klaivex demi klaives and on slaught

DietDolphin
11-03-2012, 10:07
Ummm... I didn't, that's exactly why I asked those four questions in my last post...

You must have missed the thread title:

The grammar is ambiguous in both at best.
He clarified it in his initial post, there is nothing ambiguous about it.

Oh, and how could you have missed this reply by the OP?
I didn't miss anything, theres no need to get sensitive. I was just wondering why you bothered to ask in the first place when the OP stated straight up what he was after. You just missed what he said. Its not a massive deal, I just thought it was funny that you quoted him yet didn't actually read what you quoted. It's not like it was hidden within a massive wall of text either.

...Anyway I was wondering is their any Tyranid Deathstart? 3 Carnifexes seems like too much points for what they do...

matt_17
11-03-2012, 10:19
I happen to like the Daemon Deathstar. Skulltaker on a Juggernaught along with 8 Crushers of Khorne. The squad comes to 535 points. They have:
19 wounds to play wound allocation shenanigans with
32 WS 5, Str 6, Ini 5 attacks on a charge
5 WS 7, Str 6, Ini 6 attacks on a charge (that rend on a 4+ and if you fail an invul or don't have EW you get instagibbed)
Those are all power weapon attacks by the way. Str and T 5 base with 2 wounds and they will wreck SS/TH Terminators.

Don't forget we're allowed a whole HQ slot... that means you can put a second tooled out Herald in there for some extra WS 6 S 6-7 (depending on charge) I 6 with rending in case you find your self up against AV 13+.

Given that one of the points in question was cost, its worth mentioning that just a moderately tooled up herald of khorne and 4 individually equiped crushers has masses of resiliency and can flatten most other units its actually likely to come up against in a game.

Project2501
11-03-2012, 10:29
He clarified it in his initial post, there is nothing ambiguous about it.
I didn't miss anything, theres no need to get sensitive. I was just wondering why you bothered to ask in the first place when the OP stated straight up what he was after. You just missed what he said. Its not a massive deal, I just thought it was funny that you quoted him yet didn't actually read what you quoted. It's not like it was hidden within a massive wall of text either.

He contradicted himself between his title and his first post. It's because I read both that I was able to see this. That is why I asked all four questions, to help him make his point as concise as possible. It's not like this isn't nearly the same thing I already posted in my last post, and if either of my posts are too large a wall of text for you to decipher, my condolences.

DietDolphin
11-03-2012, 10:43
He contradicted himself between his title and his first post.
Thread title: "What is the best Deathstar for the points you pay for it?"
Question in first post: "What is the best "Deathstar" unit in the game for the points you pay for it?"
There is no contradiction. All he did was add "unit in the game" which just clarifies he meant best deathstar in any army. The grammar is not fantastic, but it is neither ambiguous or contradictory.

It's because I read both that I was able to see this.... It's not like this isn't nearly the same thing I already posted in my last post, and if either of my posts are too large a wall of text for you to decipher, my condolences.
You're just radiating maturity now huh? :rolleyes:

Project2501
11-03-2012, 10:51
Thread title: "What is the best Deathstar for the points you pay for it?"
Question in first post: "What is the best "Deathstar" unit in the game for the points you pay for it?"
There is no contradiction.Contradiction may have beenthe wrong word, the discrepancy was with the first question not matching the second. Between that and the horrible grammar, his point was questionable at best.

All he did was add "unit in the game" which just clarifies he meant best deathstar in any army. The grammar is not fantastic, but it is neither ambiguous or contradictory. it clarifies nothing when one question does not match the other as now there is discrepancy. Hence, the questions.

You're just radiating maturity now huh? :rolleyes:How hypocritical... :rolleyes:

DietDolphin
11-03-2012, 11:05
Contradiction may have beenthe wrong word, the discrepancy was with the first question not matching the second. Between that and the horrible grammar, his point was questionable at best.

it clarifies nothing when one question does not match the other as now there is discrepancy. Hence, the questions.

But even then there isn't even a discrepancy. Both questions actually mean the same thing. The only difference is the first question doesn't exclude deathstars from other games, but since this is a 40k board it goes without saying he meant "in the game".

How hypocritical... :rolleyes:
Not really. I was legitimately asking questions out of curiosity, not taking sarcastic jabs. I mentioned the "wall of text" bit as I could have understood you missing it more if that had been the case.

logan054
11-03-2012, 17:16
I think the best Deathstar has to be 7 death cults, 3 crusaders with Corteaz in a stormraven, without the stormraven its 250pts and will pretty much destroy any unit it touches, add the stormraven and I can't really think of a unit it can't handle in CC with all those S5 I6 WS5 power weapon attacks, unlike most of the others its also a scoring unit and will kill any psyker based deathstar with all the mindstrike missiles.

Dervos
11-03-2012, 18:53
Probably not the best, but it's another example of eldar death star

450 points

Farseer
Runes of Warding
Fortune
x10 Warlocks
x1 enhance
x1 embolden
x8 destructor

Alternatively you can take some spears(if you want 12" throwing str 9 weapons for hitting vechiles) or take them on jetbikes but it gets horribly expensive with jetbikes, adds another 230 points, but gain T4 and move very very fast.

Witchblades are str 9 against vechiles and auto 2+ to wound everything but sitll get armor saves
Farseer's fortune = re-rollable 4++
22 normal attacks(with 2 one handed weapons, 33 on charge)
Destructors are heavy flamers, you can alternatively take fewer destructors since it can be unwieldy to to line up that many flamer shots without overlapping friendly
Enhance for +1ws and +1I
Embolden lets you re-roll ld tests, this also means re-rolls for physic casting

Problems are T3, enemy still gets armor saves, and is slow on foot, mounted its a huge chunk of points, could make it smaller

sindrix
12-03-2012, 22:50
Im going to go for the eldar option.

10 wraithguard, warlock with conceal, karandras (and a farseer near by or in the unit). Thats a LOAD of toughness 6 with a 3+ and 4+ cover save even in the open (3+ if they are actually in woods or ruins) with a reroll from fortune, always wound on a 2+ shooting with AP2, 1 (plus another 1 for the farseer) S9 shots vs vehicles and if it does get into CC it has 6 powerfist attacks and it pretty tricky to wound. Most importantly (in my opinion) is that it can claim objectives because its troops (and could even claim two if they are close enough).

how does the unit get a 4+ cover save i thought karandras' ability was olny effective on scorpions

Kevlar
12-03-2012, 23:05
Abbaddon in a unit with 10 or so Tzeentch Terminators all upgraded to champs with twin claws. And a terminator lash sorcerer so people can't just run away.

Phaeron Setek
12-03-2012, 23:37
If your willing to pay the loints the decked out Necron deathstar is amazing. Overlord, 5 Lords, 5 Harbingers ( one of each type), is just sickeningly effective. Majority Toughness 5, 7 3+ invuln saves, 6 Tachyon arrows, mindshackle spam, armor erosion, counter-assault with movement slowing, lightning bolts, and all manner of obscene ccw's... Its almost too much to fathom...

koran
12-03-2012, 23:40
In the old rules this was true, but in the current edition and Universal Special Rules that benefit an independent character (like stealth) are extended to squads they join. So the 5+ conceal save is upped to a 4+.

how does the unit get a 4+ cover save i thought karandras' ability was olny effective on scorpions

Brother Muninn
12-03-2012, 23:51
The whole Daemon Fatecrusher deathstar doesn't quite fit with the intended theme (depends on lists, but usually consists of Fateweaver, a Bloodthirster, Bloodcrushers, and a few Daemon Princes), but Fateweaver rolling around with a unit of 8 Bloodcrushers would still be remarkably effective. It would be similar to Reivax26's above post, but would be able to reroll all failed saves, and have some shooting ability to boot.

~Muninn

Kevlar
13-03-2012, 00:04
If your willing to pay the loints the decked out Necron deathstar is amazing. Overlord, 5 Lords, 5 Harbingers ( one of each type), is just sickeningly effective. Majority Toughness 5, 7 3+ invuln saves, 6 Tachyon arrows, mindshackle spam, armor erosion, counter-assault with movement slowing, lightning bolts, and all manner of obscene ccw's... Its almost too much to fathom...

There is no more majority toughness, its wound allocation shenanigans now.

Bunnahabhain
13-03-2012, 00:12
There is no more majority toughness, its wound allocation shenanigans now.

And you allocate wounds after you've determined how many you have to allocate, which you do against.....Majority toughness.
Of course, that doesn't matter for instant death, but for many thing, majority toughness matters...

Gaargod
13-03-2012, 01:15
And you allocate wounds after you've determined how many you have to allocate, which you do against.....Majority toughness.
Of course, that doesn't matter for instant death, but for many thing, majority toughness matters...

He be right.
Of course, it might go back down to majority T4 if a lord dies before a Harbinger.

Saying that, that unit is somewhere around the 500pts mark without even including the Overlord (less if you don't take many warscythes). Although saying that, I thought Tachyon arrows were only for Overlords, not normal lords?

Kevlar
13-03-2012, 03:29

You know I never noticed that. Not that I have any units with different toughness, but I do believe one of my regular opponents who likes to run a destroyer lord with his canoptek wraiths is in for a surprise!

Doesn't make sense that they would do away with majority saves and add wound allocation tricks, then keep majority toughness...but that is GW.

Chapters Unwritten
13-03-2012, 14:18
I'd really like this thread if it was narrowed down to realistic deathstars, or ones you've actually seen in play. A lot of these are just armchair theory; I'd like to hear more about actual in-game performance of deathstars, personally.

Bunnahabhain
13-03-2012, 14:52
You know I never noticed that.

I only remember it as it is the final nail in the coffin of Nork Deddog, the Ogryn bodyguard. T5, in a majority T3 unit. Doesn't help the handful of T4 guys as well, but it is Nork that really gets hit hard...

Captain Collius
13-03-2012, 15:24
5th/ss deathwing in a crusader with a chaplain in tda wipeout