PDA

View Full Version : High Elf Painting Guides Gone from GW site :( - help!

Turrican1983
10-03-2012, 20:46
Hi guys, I sat down to do some painting and access my bookmarks to 3 pages of excellent High Elf painting guides on the GW site, only to find that all 3 pages redirect back to their home page.

I was wondering if
1) anyone has the following 3 articles saved somewhere
2) if there is a way of looking at the URLs without being redirected (assuming that the content has not been removed from the GW site)

Here are the 3 pages I'm trying to get.

High Elves Painting Tips (Part 1)
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=11600002a

High Elves Painting Tips (Part 2)
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=11600005a

Island of Blood Box Set High Elves Painting Tips
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=10700022a

I'm currently sitting on a very large High Elf army and now have no clue how to paint it :(

theJ
11-03-2012, 09:35
This has happened to most articles in recent months. The official line is that they had gotten old and needed replacement, but fan speculation prefers the theory that it has been done to help push the 'How to Paint' books, the Masterclass book, and the various White Dwarfs.

My advice would be to ask Youtube. Try searching "painting high elves" and see where it gets you :)

Turrican1983
11-03-2012, 18:27
I've managed to scrape together little bits here and there.
But really I need a comprehensive "how to paint high elves book" right now.
Great business strategy on GW's part...too bad it'll probably take them 3 years to release anything!

Worship
11-03-2012, 18:55
Yes, Turrican1983, I'm in the same boat. I slowly started noticing the Lizardmen and Wood Elf tuts start to disappear. If what theJ said is true, then that's a shame. of course it makes sense from a business standpoint, but still.

I figured it was because the tutorials involved the current line of paints and they're getting ready to release a new line, which is what I think I remember circulating around here on Warseer somewhere..

theJ
15-03-2012, 09:19
@Turrican1983: Did you try youtube? some of the guides there are quite extensive... I suppose I could also give you my standard method... it's pretty good, at least for rank-and-file. Characters may need some additions:
1. Spray it all black and let it dry.
2. Paint primary colours - metal bits, cloaks, robes... anything large, really.
3. Add highlights - a line of lighter colour on the edge of any painted areas, don't bother highlighting metals at this stage. If you want to be done quickly, this is one of those stages that can be skipped, as stage 5 will still give you decent shadows on its own(just not quite AS good).
4. Paint details - Minor details rarely require any highlighting, at least not on rank-and-file, also save the gemstones for later.
5. Wash - Badab Black on any metals. for the rest, moar Badab Black will create a "dry" look, while Devlan Mud will create a more "moist" look. I go for pure Badab on mine, just make sure not to take too much of it, as you'll probably want your models to look fairly light(they're elves, after all). Let it dry for a minute or two before moving on.
6. Finishing Touches - Faces can easily be done with Tallarn Flesh, an optional highlight of Elf Flesh, finished by a wash of Ogryn Flesh. Metal areas(notably weapons) benefit from a highlight of either Chainmail or Mithril Silver. Gems can be done with three colours(main colour on everything, followed by a lighter shade at the bottom, and a dot of Skull White at the top).

I'd give you an example, but I don't have a camera(really should get one, though). It's not the only way to do it, but it is a way that can be adapted to just about any model from any range - from basic infantry to monsters. Hope it helps.

AndrewRogue
15-03-2012, 15:52
Out of curiosity, have you tried any of the web archive sites? Not loading for me right now, but they might work.

xisor83
15-03-2012, 15:53
i reckon they have removed them as they are about to relaunch all the paints with new colour names. That would have made the guides confusing to new players when they couldnt find any of the mentioned colours

Shintaro
02-09-2013, 07:23
Hi guys, I sat down to do some painting and access my bookmarks to 3 pages of excellent High Elf painting guides on the GW site, only to find that all 3 pages redirect back to their home page.

I was wondering if
1) anyone has the following 3 articles saved somewhere
2) if there is a way of looking at the URLs without being redirected (assuming that the content has not been removed from the GW site)

Here are the 3 pages I'm trying to get.

High Elves Painting Tips (Part 1)
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=11600002a

High Elves Painting Tips (Part 2)
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=11600005a

Island of Blood Box Set High Elves Painting Tips
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=10700022a

I'm currently sitting on a very large High Elf army and now have no clue how to paint it :(

If your still after some of these Send me a PM and I might be able to send some stuff I saved.

As an aside, anyone got the new how to paint citadel miniatures HE. They still haven't put it on itunes in New Zealand:cries:. Really hope that they start releasing these as ebook/kindle editions.

boli
02-09-2013, 08:39
I'm still hoping for none iPad editions! Some (most) of us are on Android ;)

Rakariel
02-09-2013, 08:44
You can also check out Miredorfs painting thread (I think its in his signature here on Warseer). He is doing some excellent High Elf painting and I also think he does explain how he does it.

boli
02-09-2013, 10:02
To be fair high elf painting can be pretty much reduced to : be very neat, limit your washes and choose a good colour combination.

Painting a high elf is extremely similar to painting everything else with the exception they use a lot more white in their colours than most meaning the above helps.

lbecks
02-09-2013, 10:48
GW did 4 EM masterclasses on high elves (dragon, Lord on horse, Eltharion, Althran) which were really good. I know some of them are online and if you want any of the recipes i'd be glad to write them here.

Lord Solar Plexus
02-09-2013, 11:00
If your still after some of these Send me a PM and I might be able to send some stuff I saved.

I think after one and a half years the OP is either finished or has given up on that aulde project of his.

Glimfeather
02-09-2013, 15:58
I think after one and a half years the OP is either finished or has given up on that aulde project of his.

Is this a sign and times of the Fantasy boards when the only things being talked about are 1 1/2 years old?