PDA

View Full Version : High Elf List - 2k needs Massive improvement

mr_gosh_the_return
10-03-2012, 22:06
I've been trying to build a list to go against my friends dark elves and he keeps on killing me horribly. I was just wondering if it's my list or my tactics. Heres what I've been fielding. Hope you can help me!

Prince, Foe Bane, Armour of Destiny, Dawnstone , Shield

Mage

Dragon Mage, Ogre Blade

5 Archers

5 Archers

5 Archers

25 Lothern Sea Guard shield, spear, bow, full command

15 Swordmasters of Hoet, full command, potion of strength

5 Ellyrian Reavers

5 Sliver Helms + high helm

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated!

Time of Madness
10-03-2012, 22:30
The list is pretty bad and illegal. You can't take units of 5 archers.....minimum size is 10.

1 bolt thrower is not going to do much.

Needs a major overhaul.

Time of Madness

Asuryan's Spear
11-03-2012, 12:12
unfortunately i have to echo Time of Madness. your list isn't doing you any favours. As much as i personally would love to a Prince just isn't really a viable option (trust me i did a thread trying to prove they were). First things first: Get rid of the Prince and Dragon mage. the mage is far to easy to take out and the sun dragon doesn't hit hard enough to flank any units. I'd go for an archmage with forlaith's robe and silver wand. reletively cheap and stick him in the Archers. also go with a BSB with armour of caledor, guardian pheonix and great weapon (this guy is amazing). join all your archers together in a bunker of 15 for your mage. I'd also get rid of the repeater bolt thrower as they aren't worth it especially in such small numbers. If you wanna run Cav i'd say the reavers should go up to about 10 and if your just supporting with the Silver Helms go for 8 (4x2) with a high helm. this should ideally add about 4 to static combat res of the anvil unit. I'd also bulk out the sea guard to 32 (8x4) as units with only 1 S3 attack really suffer at under 30 models.

If you mentioned the tactics you'd like to play selection would be easier

mr_gosh_the_return
11-03-2012, 19:17
So, just to be clear... It's not only me that thinks that a high elf prince is a waste of time?

I was thinking an archmage with Lore of high magic, +1 level,

Dragon Mage, +1 level, sword of battle, guardian phoenix, silver wand.

25 sea guard, shields, with full command,

5 reavers, spears, bows

8 silver helms, shields, high helm,

1 bolt thrower

1 war eagle

1 war eagle

1 war eagle

1 war eagle

would that be a better list?

bluemage
11-03-2012, 21:04
The second list is a major improvement. One simple change I would recommend is replacing the 8 silver helms with a unit of dragon princes, they typically considered better in almost every respect.

One of the strengths of the High Elf army book is special choices and rare choices. The core choices are just less efficient so I would try to adjust your list to run the minimum amount of points in core. Sword masters and white lions are just much better when it comes to ranking up active combat resolution. The dragon mage is a fun choice but its not really all that great. The mage is best when he's standing back castings spells but the dragon is better off in combat and you're being forced to pay for both abilities and can't really take advantage of both. Another thing to consider is trying to take the banner of sorcery in your list for the extra power dice each phase. So if you run some white lions, sword masters, or dragon princes give them the banner to carry around.

mr_gosh_the_return
12-03-2012, 12:06
My final revision, it still includes a dragon mage due to shortage of models but that will be dropped when i have more money.

Archmage, +1 level

14 archers (Accompany archmage)

20 swordmasters, full command

5 reavers, spears, bows

5 silver helms, shields,

1 bolt thrower

1 war eagle

1 war eagle

1 war eagle

Is this a better list than list 2?

Bigman
12-03-2012, 14:06
My final revision, it still includes a dragon mage due to shortage of models but that will be dropped when i have more money.

Archmage, +1 level

14 archers (Accompany archmage)

20 swordmasters, full command

5 reavers, spears, bows

5 silver helms, shields,

1 bolt thrower

1 war eagle

1 war eagle

1 war eagle

Is this a better list than list 2?

Much better than before again. I would consider dropping the reavers and using the points to up the number of silver helms and bolstering the sea guard.

What lore will your archmage take? Life?

grhino
12-03-2012, 16:16
Agree with comment! Drop the reavers and bump the others. Otherwise the list looks okay for 2K...

mr_gosh_the_return
15-03-2012, 08:40
excellent!!! thanks guys!

Wbarobinson
15-03-2012, 17:10
With 20 swordmasters, I would stick the mage with folriath's in them with lore of life, that way earthblood can affect them. Run them 7x3.
Move four of your archers to LSG, have them shoot in horde (three ranks of shooting, no losses to volleyfire) and fight deep.
Get a BSB when you get rid of dragon! 168 points... you can just use one of your swordmasters with banner as BSB with caledor and guardian pheonix.
Honestly the Helms and the Reavers are just terrible. You have eagles to redirect, they are basically more expensive eagles.
Call your helms dragon princes and they are mildly useful, but still better to ignore cavalry altogether until 2500 where the cavalry prince is viable in a silver helm bus.