PDA

View Full Version : Independent Stockists Charge More?

huitzilopochtli
10-03-2012, 23:39
Just a question on how indies' prices compare to GW. In my experience independent stockists are either cheaper or just as expensive as Games Workshop. For example, Gamers World in Dublin* is usually 5-10% cheaper and the Art and Hobby shop in Galway* is the same price as GW. However, I was at a convention today and at the stall for "The Gathering" from Limerick* and noticed that EVERYTHING they had was more expensive than GW. About 10% more than GW prices. (Black knights were 26.50 compared to 24 and fenrissian wolves were 22.50 as opposed to 19.50.)

Anyway I remarked this to one of the guys running the convention and he explained that most indie prices are higher than GW - that GW sales reps encourage this and hassle stores that have lower prices. Is this true? It hasn't been my experience but that may be because both Gamers World and Art and Hobby are big shops (actually the latter is a chain of shops or franchise or something) and this enables them to charge lower prices and still make a profit. This was the explanation I was given, at least.

So, oh great and knowledgeable community of Warseer - do small indie stores charge more than GW? Have I just been lucky in that I've never had to deal with such stores? Is this store a freak of nature? Or perhaps was this simply a result being at a con, and the store just deciding "Smeg** it, we'll hike up the prices and one-up GW for sticking it to the consumer"?

*Note that it is not necessary to know where these places are. I included them for the sake of adding detail to my story. :)
** This was originally another word but even after self-censorship it was entirely replaced by asterisks and I decided smeg that I'll just use smeg.

Velsharoon
11-03-2012, 00:07
Well Arkham Gaming center, Serenity and Nerdtopia (all shops in Belfast) charge less than GW Belfast does.

lbecks
11-03-2012, 00:16
Most indies i've been to charge similar to GW. Internet retailers that do a lot of business tend to have big discounts.

Gargantuan
11-03-2012, 01:11
My local store charges more

Spectrar Ghost
11-03-2012, 03:46
Mine charges less. It's all down to the margin the store needs to maintain in order to remain profitable, and also what competitors (if any) charge. My local independant happens to be a toy and hobby store first, and a GW store second. It is alsoin an area flooded with GW stores, and charging more they might as well not carry the product.

Llew
11-03-2012, 04:08
I can't speak for UK or European indies, but an indie over here that tried to charge more than MSRP might as well not even open it's doors. I've never heard of one charging more than MSRP, although most have some sort of discount in effect.

I think someone was pulling your leg.

BobtheInquisitor
11-03-2012, 07:01
20% off is standard here, except for at non-gaming shops, like comic book stores, where they charge MSRP. Online, the discount is 20% or 25% depending on where you look.

xxRavenxx
11-03-2012, 08:50
What he is telling you is utter crap. GW do not encourage any specific pricing on indies, because they are forbidden to do so by law.

Moreso, I bet I can identify the reasoning on their prices, which is as you said: They were at a convention.

I constantly see people at conventions with 40k at 10% over RRP. I presume they feel it doesn't hurt their impulse purchases, and they have some hefty overheads for the day, so I can understand why they're trying to squeeze some extra pounds. (If this works or not is another matter).

Hendarion
11-03-2012, 08:53
So, oh great and knowledgeable community of Warseer - do small indie stores charge more than GW?
All independent brick & mortar stores I know in Germany charge less than GW directly does.

Dr Zoidberg
11-03-2012, 09:08
Charging more than GW would be the death knell for indies in Oz....

Tarax
11-03-2012, 09:24
Charging more when at a convention? :eek::wtf: I find that at a convention normal stores usually give a bigger discount, like 10% in store and 20% at the convention. Just to get some promotion for the store. However, you can't compare prices there, so they may actually give higher prices to start with. :shifty:

Spider-pope
11-03-2012, 09:50
My nearest indie store, before it shut anyway, would have GW equivalent prices marked on the boxes, but offer a 10-20% discount when you actually went to pay for them. However i did run across a stockist charging about 10% extra. It was one of the small stands GW provides, tucked away in the corner of a Model Railway store.

EmperorNorton
11-03-2012, 10:13
I don't think I've ever encountered an indy store charging more.
Usually they sell at MSRP or with a small discount.

paddyalexander
11-03-2012, 10:52
I can speak about my experiences as a wargames consumer in the same country as the OP. Cork currently has 1 independent store (Other Realms) that mostly sells at RRP but seems to over charge on certain items with no rhyme or reason. I first noticed this with the last Tau codex where they were over charging on the new release stuff by between €2-€9. Which is why I don't buy anything from there amongst other reasons(very poor customer service). However more recently they started carrying Warmachine stuff so I popped in to take a look and low and behold, most products were priced at RRP with many random items scattered trough priced way above it. So it is the stores being greedy, not gwPLC.

Anyone visiting Dublin I would full recommend a visit to Gamers World to anyone. They sell most of their stuff at a discount, have a loyalty card scheme & a large gaming area. The fact that I consider it my Friendly Local Game Store dispite the fact that it is 260km away from where I live and there are closer options should speak volumes.

To everyone else, a badly run buisiness should not be rewarded or supported. Games stores are no exception.

Noserenda
11-03-2012, 16:28
As a former stockist we used to sell at about a 10% discount, GW reps never asked or cared about our prices afaik. Selling at over RRP does seem insane though, we already had enough problems with people buying from online to worry about :D

ted1138
11-03-2012, 20:12
GW aren't allowed to price fix(UK law), so those that don't know better charge whatever GW advise them to charge(some simply get it wrong or get greedy and charge more)...

blongbling
12-03-2012, 09:33
GW sells to indies at a 45% discount from the RRP. The price the retailer then chooses to sell at is up to them and GW doesn't try to enforce the RRP selling as that is illegal; that was always the case when I was there and I see no reason for them to have changed. The guys from Limerick though are a bit dodgy, always where when I was dealing with them.

Tayrod
12-03-2012, 09:49
My local store charges more
+1 (need more words)