PDA

View Full Version : Dark elf army

Greavious_Bodily_Harm
11-03-2012, 08:33
So I haven't got the army book can't afford it ATM but I'm looking to expand my dark elf army ATM I have dreadlord on cold one 20 spear man 12 xbow man 5 shades and 5 black guard what wood u suggest besides the army book I'm looking for a semi competitive army??

...GBH...

Ratbeast
11-03-2012, 11:23
MAGIC, YOU NEED MAGIC

More core to fill requirements, then its on to the good stuff, increase shades and black guard numbers

Djekar
11-03-2012, 13:51
Yeah, depending on what point level you start playing at, you may (most likely will) have to get more stuff from core to pay that core tax. Ratbeast is right that you need magic levels somewhere - if all else fails you can usually convert a model to be a spellcaster. I use Reaper minis to make sure they stand out (and also because I'm still not convinced that GW know how to sculpt female faces...). After that is settle I would advise at least 15 more black guard to put them at the cap and a few more shades too - 5 seems a little light.

After that it's up to you, fill in with what you find that you like/find is the most competative.

Brotheroracle
11-03-2012, 15:03
Yup max out BG, add a spell caster, make the spears 30-40 Strong, and then a hydra. Its hard to go wrong with Dark elves so many units are good and even then the "bad" units are playble.

Greavious_Bodily_Harm
11-03-2012, 22:43
I was thinking a unit of corsers, a unit of cok more shades black guard and some bolt throwers and a lvl 4 we usually play 2k

hazmiter
12-03-2012, 10:38
Cauldron of blood, some witch elves, dark riders, corsairs in a 30 block, warriors are great w banner of murder.
Play test, see what units strike your fancy.

Greavious_Bodily_Harm
12-03-2012, 10:52
Cauldron of blood, some witch elves, dark riders, corsairs in a 30 block, warriors are great w banner of murder.
Play test, see what units strike your fancy.

Yeah I will play test just wanted to see what was suggested. I do have one high elf player at the club who has an outrageous high elf heavy magic list, destroyed my khorne warriors of chaos last time I played him so want to go pretty heavy on the magic in this list. Was Gunna put the sorceress in the spearman bunker with dagger, max out my black guard, 30 corsairs, bolt trowers more shades a unit of cok's and I got my unit of xbowman. What do u guys think

Zabousta
12-03-2012, 12:54
Witch Elves.

I cannot stress to you how good they are. You need 30+. Thats 3 poison attacks each. (more with a cauldron, but I usually take the ward save instead) Hags add extra killing power, with 5 attacks each (up to 8 with items)

They almost always go first. There are very few units with the same initiative. Poison helps negate toughness, so they chew through most things.

If your opponent is heavily armored, take executioners first. Add a BsB with the Always Strikes First Banner. (take the cauldron too!) Killing blow negates armor, so laugh as you easily kill his 1+ AS knights.

IMO Corsairs are like witch elves but worse. There is no reason to take them ever. Take Crossbows instead.

Dark Elves are neither strong, nor tough. You beat your opponent by rolling 3 times as many dice as him.

Bladelord
12-03-2012, 14:02
Imo you can take anything in the Dark Elf book if you want to make a semi competitive army, some of the nastier units are though the following: Cauldron of Blood, lvl.4 Sorceress with Sacrificial Dagger, War Hydra & Shades. GL:)