PDA

View Full Version : Can someone convince me...

Spider
11-03-2012, 13:20
To want to play 40k again?

To be specific, and I have no desire for a flamefest...I really really want to dust off my old Space Wolves, get them some new wolfy pets and go kick some miniature a$$.

But, my last experiance was several years ago. Basically the "new" 40k system did nothing for me. All games consisted of simply never having ability to move that far or affect that much.

Have things improved? Can my tiny little vikings in space have a game where they simply don't run to the enemy by the shortest possible route and probably not get there?

Do my Tyrannids stand a chance? Are my Eldar interesting to play?

What has changed in the intervening years?

Thanks in advance.

Radium
11-03-2012, 15:28
The biggest factor in this is: how long has it been since you last played?

In my experience the game is very dynamic these days, with lots of armies having really fast moving units, multiple options for reserves and other neat tricks. But how it works out for you depends on what kind of army you run, and what kind of people you usually game with.

That said however, if you really want to give it a go that badly: why not just jump in? Take your minis to the local club/shop and get a (small) game in. See if you enjoy it, and try to find out why not if not, it might be something you can fix (other armylist, more/less terrain, more sporting opponent, larger/smaller battles etc).

UberBeast
11-03-2012, 15:38
You might give us an idea of which edition you were playing last.

That being said I think are always some common themes in wargaming and that holds especially true with 40k. The best way to figure out if you will like it is to go try it for yourself. Otherwise you can write a whole paper on the things you like and don't like and there might not be anyone particuarly able to change your mind unless they hold the same opinions that you did and have since seen changes improve their own enjoyment of the game.

You already have the minitaures, all you need to do now is go spend a little time playing the game they are made for.

agurus1
12-03-2012, 02:11
your space vikings are the new long rang shooty list :P

honesly like UberBeast said, best way to find out is to go and play a few games.

New Cult King
12-03-2012, 05:32
Sounds like the transition from 2nd to 3rd. 40K is currently in its 5th edition, soon to be 6th, but at the moment 5th is more or less 3rd Ed ++. Not a lot has changed.

Twisted Ferret
12-03-2012, 05:46
Improved from what? I'm not certain, from your OP, exactly what you didn't like about the game before - except feeling like you couldn't move very far or affect very much, and I don't know what to ascribe that to. If you're asking whether or not your Wolves will be able to get very far, though, the answer is... yes. I can definitely say that they will do more than charge and die.

Tyranids stand a chance. I'm not so sure about Eldar, but I don't think they're horribly underpowered and they might be just fine. Dark Eldar are certainly very interesting to play, and now I've got my hands on the new codex I bet they'll be even better (it's got good reviews).

That said, the way I get psyched about playing or collecting a new army is to get into the background. All of my current forces have been ones that just grabbed me from a fluff perspective; made me think "Okay, I have to command some of these guys!" That, and reading battle reports/other discussions about tactics here on Warseer... makes you want to get stuck in and see what you can pull off. :D

mooserehab86
12-03-2012, 12:30
It's possible the reason you felt you couldn't move far or affect much was due to transports. Mechanized armies are currently very popular, and if your wolves consist of close combat troops on foot I can definitely see why you felt they were unable to get much done. Getting yourself a few rhinos would do a lot to fix that problem.

I doubt any of us can convince you to want to play 40k again. That will only happen based on the games you play and whether or not you can find a way to have fun doing so.

dangermouse425
12-03-2012, 12:36
Tyranids are one of the most fun armies to play, get involved in the gribblies again and you're bound to enjoy it!