PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of trying out night goblins...

Hicks
11-03-2012, 21:02
Hi all

I'm currently thinking about starting out a tiny (point wise) force of just night goblins. I am however wondering how to do it on the cheap and still end up with a competitive force.

I of course thought about trying to get my grubby hands on the goblins from the last starter set, though I'm am wondering what is the opinion of goblin players on spears? Wasted points that could go into more gobbos, or worth it?

Also, do the normal BG regiment mix well with the starter set goblins? I'll probably need to buy a couple of those to get the netters etc.. but I don't want to end up with miniatures that don't look good next to the bulk of my force.

Also, what else to get? I'm definitely going 100% night gobbos for infantry and characters, but I don't mind using the monsters. So what does the typical 2000pts army look like?

T10
11-03-2012, 22:42
My best advice is to either go cheap or go deep. 20 Night Goblins with no upgrades are still a significant presence on the battlefield, even if they don't accomplish anything. 40 Night Goblins with a full command, netters, fanatics and a Big Boss or two can actually do stuff. The main advantage? They don't cause Panic in friendly Orcs. :)

Just bear in mind that they don't have very good Leadership, so pick your fights carefully.

MOMUS
11-03-2012, 22:49
All goblins is a force ive wanted to do since looking at an old metal forest gobbo back in a citadel mag. It would look great!

You should sell me your 5th ed lizzies, that would give the extra cash needed to buy all those little scamps. :D

Urgat
11-03-2012, 23:44
All night goblins (I assume pure night goblins, no count as stuff, so no spear chukka, no common gob warboss, etc), is kindda difficult because of low leadership (but well,, you can go with Skarsnik or magic the Ld up), but it's pretty much their only true weakness. They got heavy numbers, they got punch (herders, manglers, giants, trolls-with a warboss babysitter, that is-, heck, even regular night goblin units can be hitty if you add one or two big bosses with great weapons per unit). They got kindda speedy stuff ( hoppers with great cave squig big/warbosses). They got very effective magic. The only thing they lack with the new book is warmachines, really, but they still have access to pretty deadly shooting if you dedicate your BSB to a large unit of gobs with bows, and give him the spider banner. They're not as good as a general all goblin army, but in 8th, they should hold their own much better than they used to.
Oh, as for models, the BfSP goblins and the plastic box ones are exactly the same style, the BfSP ones are just single part, and spears only. My opinion is that spears are only worth it when you go horde with a large unit, because then, you really got so many attacks you're bound to do damage, WS2 S3 or not. Otherwise, hand weapons and shields is probably better. By the way, imho, greenskin units of all genres look better when you mix all the weapon options in the unit, instead of going for a spartan, organised look (doesn't fit gobs at all if you ask me), so mixing the BfSP and the box gobs is the way to go anyway.

Hicks
11-03-2012, 23:56
All night goblins (I assume pure night goblins, no count as stuff, so no spear chukka, no common gob warboss, etc), is kindda difficult because of low leadership (but well,, you can go with Skarsnik or magic the Ld up), but it's pretty much their only true weakness. They got heavy numbers, they got punch (herders, manglers, giants, trolls-with a warboss babysitter, that is-, heck, even regular night goblin units can be hitty if you add one or two big bosses with great weapons per unit). They got kindda speedy stuff ( hoppers with great cave squig big/warbosses). They got very effective magic. The only thing they lack with the new book is warmachines, really, but they still have access to pretty deadly shooting if you dedicate your BSB to a large unit of gobs with bows, and give him the spider banner. They're not as good as a general all goblin army, but in 8th, they should hold their own much better than they used to.
Oh, as for models, the BfSP goblins and the plastic box ones are exactly the same style, the BfSP ones are just single part, and spears only. My opinion is that spears are only worth it when you go horde with a large unit, because then, you really got so many attacks you're bound to do damage, WS2 S3 or not. Otherwise, hand weapons and shields is probably better. By the way, imho, greenskin units of all genres look better when you mix all the weapon options in the unit, instead of going for a spartan, organised look (doesn't fit gobs at all if you ask me), so mixing the BfSP and the box gobs is the way to go anyway.

Thanks for the good advice. I can definitely see myself using count as to get access to warmachines and my friends will never complain if my goblin boss has a black hat or not. When I think goblin, I always think of huge blocks of troops (40+), but are smaller units with shields really usefull? It seems to me like they would just not have the punch to beat anything and die so fast the points would be wasted. Plus, I want my goblins to actually be able to kill stuff.

Urgat
12-03-2012, 00:30
Well... don't know. I've never used anything smaller than 30 strong with gobs.
As for count as, and stuff, no problem, but don't say it's just night gobs, coz it won't be, not any more than those "night goblin armies" led by one black orc warboss :p

Jind_Singh
12-03-2012, 03:29
All Goblin armies are of course amazing - all Night Goblin armies are a step higher - they have fantastic character and are fun to play!!!

There are some generic pointers to bear in mind - and know this...any half decent army WILL require some investment of money into getting our best units - Squigs!!!

Here's the scoop...

Core Units

Night Goblins for the win! Or so they say...Our core troops are perhaps the best AND the worst in army book! I like them because:

- They are cheap at 3pts, no matter what equipment they come with
- Netters make it harder for the enemy to kill us
- Fanatics can be the pain the bum to other players
- Easy to paint
- Faster - initiative is better at 3 rather than 2!

But they are also dreadful!

- NO saves (ok you can have a 6+/6++ but what is that?! Common Gobbos can at least get a 5+/6++)
- Poor weapon skill - WS2 blows - simple as that!
- Lower leadership, so what's ld 5 vs ld 6 - I tell you what - it's huge! And it gets worse the higher up you go! The characters only go as high as 7+ for the Warboss general - so it's not brilliant!

Now lets look at the units - ideally a unit of 50 with full command, netters, and 1 fanatic is the perfect infantry block for our army! Hand weapon & shields are great for the Warboss's unit as they get the (dubious) best chance of staying alive. Spears are still a winner in my book - my own army uses a unit of both. Archers are also fantastic as they get the toys that normal units get.

If you want a unit to just sit around and annoy the enemy, a cheap and cheerful option I use is 20 archers, some command, netters, 1 fanatic - in my own army I use full command as I'm crazy like that! But if I was serious in the game I'd drop the champion most likely - but the unit just feels empty without the little bugger.

As for the deployment the unit is never more than 5 wide - hordes DO NOT work for the Night Goblin infantry!

In 2000 points I'd have AT LEAST 2 units of 50 (spears and handweapons, full command, netters, 1-2 fanatics), and 1 unit of 20 archers with the same command and fanatics as the fighting units.

If I wanted to flood the table it's all about units of 20 archers with just musicians and a fanatic or three per unit! But no more than 2-3 of these units - they bleed out victory points.

Ard Stuff

Squigs, squigs, and more squigs!!! Squig herders, squig hoppers, mangler squigs!

Two Mangler Squigs please
Two units of herders please (in my case 15 Squigs and 10 herders is perfect as they can either be one massive unit or two munching units!)
5 Squig Hoppers with a Big Boss (I would take two units of the same build)

Rare

Trolls (or take the normal special ones), River or Stone - your call
Giant (Lives in the mountains, why not!)

Snotlings

Not really there fluffwise but at the same time I like the buggers - so long as they are driving a pimped out Pump Wagon!

Magic

Level 4 and level 2 please! Mushrooms for the win!

Other characters

Warboss, stunty basha, armor of destiny, shield - best big boss EVA! Especially if you face a stoopid stunty!
Back up Warboss
Big Boss on big Squig (two!)
Two Big Bosses with great weapons

Not much in points but really helps bring the army together!!!

Models

Battle for Skull Pass are 100% compatible with the ones from the box! Infact what I did was:

1) Build all the Gobbos as hand weapon/shields but with max. number of netters
2) Take spare hand weapon arms, cut off the entire spear arm of some spare Spear models from Skull Pass set -and glue the hand weapon arm on - perfect!
3) Grab some Snotling models from O & G kits to make extra models for the unit (i.e. snotling with potion bottle is great in the unit!)

Overall summary

DO IT!! Gorgeous model range, very decent to play - but will be an uphill struggle sometimes as there are units you'll miss compared to my mixed all Goblin list.

If your ok with it (as are your coworkers).....SKARSNIK BABY!!!!!!!

Either way you'll be a very happy goblin!

holtkmoq
12-03-2012, 05:51
This is pretty much exactly what I am thinking of doing too, with the exception that I am not limiting myself to purely Night Goblins, just that they will hopefully be the majority. Good luck!

@Jind_Singh: I found your post extremely helpful, thank you.

MOMUS
12-03-2012, 07:22
I would say some NG characters would be easy to take whatever you want, some big blocks for core with netters, fanatics, maybe a couple of archer units (but i would rather take a single large one, smaller one would be decent as a bunker), a horde of trolls, horde of squigs, giant (or two) would be nice enough.

Lorcryst
12-03-2012, 19:09
As the proud owner of a Night Goblin Horde, I agree with Jind_Singh on almost every point ...

The only thing I don't agree with, is the notion that hordes don't work for NGs : they can work, IF you make them big enough ... like, 100+ big with at least 4 Big Bosses with Great Weapons thrown in the mix ... that's a huge footprint, yes, a lot of very feeble bodies, but they usually last until the end without giving their VPs ...

I usually take a huge horde of 108 NGs with Spears, Netters, Full Command, 3 Fanatics, plus two~three units of 20 Archers, Full Command, Netters, NO Fanatics (as bunkers for my Shamans), lotsa Squigs (1 horded herd, 2 units of Hoppers, 2 Manglers), Warboss with decent kit, BSB with Bad Moon Banner (for the fluff of it) Great Shaman, at least one Shaman (preferably two), and that's it for my themed army ...

The look on the face of your opponents when you plonk down an unit of 110+ models on the table is priceless too :p

Anyway, if you like the models and the overall feel of the army, do it, it will bring endless fun, headaches and teeth-grinding when Animosity betrays you, AND they have a decent chance to win against almost all armies (WoC and DoC are tough nuts to crack tough).

Hicks
12-03-2012, 19:23
You guys really convinced me there, I think I would very much enjoy their playstyle. I already posted in the trading section in the hope that I can score a couple units to get me started.