PDA

View Full Version : Some newbie rules questions.

Georgebob
12-03-2012, 11:31
Hi guys my friends and I just started playing fantasty and we had some interesting rules questions that werent easily answered by the BRB or were just plain old confusing to us.

1. During close combat there was a challenge going on both models ended up surviving and I ended up winning combat and his unit fled. What happens with the challenge? Is the fleeing model slain? Does he stand and fight as the unit runs away?

2. Do you get a charge reaction against Overrun?

3. If you choose to flee as a charge reaction does the enemy only move their charge distance or do they get a pursuit roll as well? Also do you do your charge reaction before or after the unit declaring the charge rolls for distance?

4. I play Ogres and I like to use the Ogre Ironblaster and I am very confused as to how to rule this as warmachine or chariot or both? My friend who plays bretonnians charged my Ironblaster now under warmachines in close combat(pg 110) it says that only six models can be in cc with a warmachine at that monstrous infantry/cavalry/beast count as three models a piece. So my question is if hes in lance formation does he get all his attacks as its treated as a chariot? Or is it treated like a WM and only two cavalry can attack it at a time? During the game we just ruled it as charging a chariot and so he ended up winning combat because of static CR and I failed my break test. As a chariot it would fall back 3d6 pick the two highest and if its war machine its just destroyed. Sorry if this has been discussed before but I find it to have a very confusing combination of rules.

Thats it for now Im sure some others will come up later oh and thanks for the help in advance!

Mid'ean
12-03-2012, 12:09
1) Challenge is over as he gets dragged along with the rest of the unit as it flees. He is not slain.

2) No. Enemy unit can only hold as they are too surprised to do anything else.Treat as pursuit into new enemy. Pg 58

3) After all charges have been declared and enemy reactions determined it's time to roll dice and move chargers, they only get their charge move.

4) It's a chariot. Treat it as such rule wise.

T10
12-03-2012, 12:43
3. The chargers will rarely move the actual charge distance. In most cases you just determine the distance between the two units, and the rolled charge rage needs to meet or beat this. The chargers can then move any distance required to make contact, but it may happen that their path to the target is blocked by intervening terrain or units.

To catch a fleeing unit they must make contact.

If they fail to make contact the unit makes a failed charge move instead.

-T10

Georgebob
12-03-2012, 13:58
Is the Ironblaster allowed to pivot in the movement phase like a cannon?

Artiee
12-03-2012, 14:06
3. The Charge to reaction is a script.

1. Declare Charge to Unit
2. Unit declares a reaction and performs action. Hold, Stand and shoot (if able) or Flee (if already fleeing, Flee again)
- a. if SnS -> shoot
- b. if Flee -> roll flee distance and move unit.
3. Repeat 1 & 2 until no more charges to declare
4. Roll for charges in any order.

Yes. The flee can bring the unit into a charge from another unit. It can also bring the unit where it blocks a charge.

Mid'ean
12-03-2012, 15:28
Is the Ironblaster allowed to pivot in the movement phase like a cannon?

As a lone model it can pivot as many times as it wants in the movement phase.

dementian
12-03-2012, 18:54
I believe he meant can the Ironblaster pivot in the shooting phase like a cannon.

Vmartini
12-03-2012, 20:33
No, it has to pivot in the movement phase.

T10
12-03-2012, 21:21
It seems obvious to me that though the Iron Blaster is a chariot troop type model, the weapon is a "warmachine weapon" as far as the Ironcurse Icon is concerned. :)

-T10

Georgebob
13-03-2012, 07:05
Another question here if a unit in CC loses combat and has to take a break test and its general is within inspiring presence range do you use his unmodified leadership or not? What if he has Crown of Command?

T10
13-03-2012, 11:03
If in range of the General's Inspiring Presence special rule then your unit gets to use his Leadership value in place of their own. They are still subject to any modifiers that might apply to their tests. This means that a unit of Goblins (Ld 6) that loses the combat by 4 points will normally test on a 2-or-less, but if within range of a Ld 9 Orc Warboss will test on 5-or-less.

If the General has the Crown of Command then he has the Stubborn special rule, and in this case his unit will benefit from counting as steadfast when it takes break tests. The Stubborn rule is not shared out to other units with the Inspiring Presence rule.

-T10

Mid'ean
13-03-2012, 11:06
It seems obvious to me that though the Iron Blaster is a chariot troop type model, the weapon is a "warmachine weapon" as far as the Ironcurse Icon is concerned. :)

-T10

Completely agree.....

Another question here if a unit in CC loses combat and has to take a break test and its general is within inspiring presence range do you use his unmodified leadership or not? What if he has Crown of Command?

Yes. You can use his LD. You can use his modified LD also. If he is in a unit with the LD banner you use his modified LD. The crown only makes the unit it is in stubborn. It doesn't transfer out of the unit in anyway, shape or use.

Fubar
13-03-2012, 11:57
If something fires as a cannon/stone thrower/war machine it follows all the rules associated unless it specifically states otherwise, so pivot in shooting phase, cannot move and fire(rulebook overwrites this rule in the case of iron blaster) d6 wounds etc etc