PDA

View Full Version : Check out what I just won on eBay

The Emperor
26-04-2006, 19:15
Unbelievable. I was on eBay last night looking at old 40k stuff, when I found the following items for sale in a single auction.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/137/137974/folders/233373/1882867eBay01.jpg

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/137/137974/folders/233373/1882868eBay02.jpg

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/137/137974/folders/233373/1882869eBay03.jpg

Being a fan of 2nd edition, having lost all my original books thanks to a leaky roof and a move, I decided to keep an eye on it. Especially since it'd only been bid on twice so far, and the bidding was at $3.50.

I checked back from time to time til the auction was nearing its end, and I kept refreshing endlessly as I watched the time tick down, with no additional bids. Eventually, it dropped down to about 40 seconds or so and that's when I made my bid, with my maximum bid being $20.99. I confirmed my bid and saw that I was the high bidder at $5.50 with about 20 seconds to go. I then kept refreshing, hoping to win the auction, even if I had to pay $20 or so. The seconds kept ticking down until, at last, the auction was over. NO ONE had come along to place a bid, and I won all of that for $5.50! YEEESSS!!! Check it out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8798940825

I'm literally crying tears of joy right about now (Ok, so maybe NOT literally, heh). Now to find out how much the shipping will be with boxes included. :D

Lame Duck
26-04-2006, 19:19
Well, if that stuff makes u tick.......congrats....I guess.....

Kjell
26-04-2006, 19:22
Oi! Git! :p I saw that auction, too, but I don't have an eBay account. I really should get one. Le sigh. :( Even if there's a little bit of wear and tear, and even if the shipping adds a bit to the total sum, that is still one hell of a bargain. Outrageus, in fact. Much better than my haul. :o

So, anyway, which codexes are you going to buy now, then?

BloodiedSword
26-04-2006, 19:24
Damn, nice one... congrats!

(envy)

Wraithbored
26-04-2006, 19:27
Yeah really nice win there! Good stuff all, and should you get a copy of freebooterz I shall find you and hit you with a large smelly fish! :p

lord_blackfang
26-04-2006, 19:33
I'd love to get a set like that, but international shipping costs for so much heavy paper would kill me :(

But I swear I will own all the old Ork books one day.

The Emperor
26-04-2006, 19:33
Oi! Git! :p I saw that auction, too, but I don't have an eBay account... Le sigh. :( Even if there's a little bit of wear and tear, and even if the shipping adds a bit to the total sum, that is still one hell of a bargain. Outrageus, in fact. Much better than my haul. :o

So, anyway, which codexes are you going to buy now, then?

2nd edition Codex's? Well, I already got a whole slew of them. Off the top of my head, I've got Codex: Ultramarines, Angels of Death, Imperial Guard, Sisters of Battle, Eldar, and Tyranids. I wouldn't mind getting Codex: Space Wolves, again (I used to have it back when I played Space Wolves, but after lending it to an imbecile who soaked it, I don't have it anymore). Codex: Chaos is another one I'd love to own, as it's full of a shedload of fluff, which I like reading. And Codex: Orks is good fun, as well.

Kjell
26-04-2006, 19:37
Well, then I have something you don't have. :D I have the Chaos one, with all the little markers still unpunched.

By the way, the Destructor/Stream of Corruption template... Is it as big as the regular flamethrower template? Also, that really big teardrop-shaped template is the heavy flamethrower template, isn't it?

The Emperor
26-04-2006, 20:35
Well, then I have something you don't have. :D I have the Chaos one, with all the little markers still unpunched.

By the way, the Destructor/Stream of Corruption template... Is it as big as the regular flamethrower template? Also, that really big teardrop-shaped template is the heavy flamethrower template, isn't it?

Damn you! :p

And yeah, that's the Heavy Flamer template. Ah, back in the day when a Heavy Flamer roasted more people then a Flamer.

As for Destructor, my memory's a bit hazy of some stuff, but I'm pretty sure it's the same size as the Flamer template. Can't wait to get my hands on all this stuff, though. The best part will be all the lovely fluff which I like to read, as well as the Wargear book with all the weird weaponry and the wargear cards.

Latro_
26-04-2006, 20:40
I have all the old book, I still look at the art, short bits of fluff and all that jazz from time to time. Its really inspiring.

Wargear book is esp good.
Web pistols! av some of that!

firestorm40k
26-04-2006, 20:53
Being a player from 3rd ed. onward, all my collection of previous rulebooks and codexes which (apart from Dark Millenium which I think is the only one I don't have) came from eBay. Some of them aren't in mint condition, but they're all perfectly fine. I've become quite a hoarder of 40k books, mainly courtesy of eBay! :D

Kjell
26-04-2006, 20:59
The oldest book that I was "around" to buy was the 3rd ed. Chaos codex. I'm kind of a bit too young to have experienced 2nd edition back when it was still in print.

I just saw the stuff at an auction and knew I had to have it. :p It's very interesting to see how the rules for some units have changed.

Latro_
26-04-2006, 21:14
From my position I do actually find it quite hard to see how post 2nd ed players get inspired by the fluff of the 3rd an 4th ed (hmmm maybe an explination for the cheese epidemic)
I'd advise anyone to get their hands on as many 2ed books as possible, Great history and ideas! 2ed stuff provided my whole conceptual idea of the 40k universe.

Ludo
26-04-2006, 21:46
I'd advise anyone to get their hands on as many 2ed books as possible, Great history and ideas! 2ed stuff provided my whole conceptual idea of the 40k universe.

Likewise. I collect Ultramarines, and all the background info I know about them, and other armies, came from second ed rule books.

Havoc
26-04-2006, 21:47
*Envious rage* You son of a bi...

Congrats mate a very good buy especially for $5, damn that's be worth quite alot in a few years.

The Emperor
26-04-2006, 22:32
I have all the old book, I still look at the art, short bits of fluff and all that jazz from time to time. Its really inspiring.

Wargear book is esp good.
Web pistols! av some of that!

Yeah, the Codex Imperialis book was great. I never got tired of reading it, whether it was the entries on races or the little stories, it was all great. Really, that more then anything else is what got me into the game. The pictures in the rulebook are also nice. As for the Wargear book, it'll be great rereading stuff about all the weird weapons that were available back then like the Web Pistol. Man, I really wish GW would put out a new army or two that made use of some of the more unusual weaponry, like the Graviton Gun for one.

The oldest book that I was "around" to buy was the 3rd ed. Chaos codex. I'm kind of a bit too young to have experienced 2nd edition back when it was still in print.

I just saw the stuff at an auction and knew I had to have it. It's very interesting to see how the rules for some units have changed.

Yeah, that kind of stuff's also pretty interesting. As for me, I've had three books predating 2nd edition (though, sadly, I don't have them anymore :(). Realms of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness, Realms of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned, and some Rogue Trader book with vehicle rules (I don't remember the name, but it had a targeting chart for shooting vehicles, which was a clear plastic grid overlaid over a silhouette of the vehicle. I remember the Wraithlord being really damn hard to hit on that). The Realms of Chaos were especially fantastic. They were what books on Chaos should be like. They just exuded Chaos and the imagery showed Chaos for the grotesquery it's supposed to be. I wish more recent Chaos supplements would look like that.

From my position I do actually find it quite hard to see how post 2nd ed players get inspired by the fluff of the 3rd an 4th ed (hmmm maybe an explination for the cheese epidemic)

Absolutely agree. When I got the 3rd edition Codex: Space Marines and Codex: Dark Eldar, I was absolutely mortified at how lacking in fluff and background those Codex's were. Especially Codex: Dark Eldar. Here we had a brand spanking new army, and they gave us next to NOTHING in the way of background information! Thankfully the newer Codex's provide a decent read, although they're still not the hefty reads of many of the 2nd edition Codex's. Codex: Chaos, for instance, was just enormous (So was Angels of Death, but that was a Codex for two armies, not one).

*Envious rage* You son of a bi...

Congrats mate a very good buy especially for $5, damn that's be worth quite alot in a few years.

Thank you! :) I'm not much concerned about future value. I'm just glad to have replaced my old books. Would you believe that I used to have TWO sets of the 40k books? But the ceiling of my closet leaked after a particularly bad storm and soaked BOTH sets of copies, as well as a Warhammer Fantasy Battles book (It had a slew of great battle reports which I had loved reading), and other books. Talk about your abysmal luck! Add to that that one bastard who stole numerous books and minis from me (My old Undead army which included Dieter Helsnicht, Arkhan the Black, and Nagash, the Empire army book, the Chaos army boxed set, nearly my entire White Dwarf collection, and several other things), and my old collection has been pretty well gutted, so it's nice to have gotten some of it back.

Latro_
26-04-2006, 22:47
What with all this talk of the old books i just re-read my codex Imperialis, the section on orks.

Made me smile the bit about "they have green blood" GW a few years back swapped this little bit of fluff to red blood (no doubt for modeling i suppose) hehe its the little things...

Mind you saying that as i remember there are about three versions of where orks come from... Who knows in the next codex they might get dropped by storks

haha stORKS i didnt realise that till i wrote it, bizarre.

that deserves a pic
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d120/latro/jork.jpg

Karloth Valois
26-04-2006, 22:50
Something I really miss from 2nd ed is the big chunky codexes. I've never been able to read Dark Millenium which is something I'd like to do. The old books that came with the boxed set are great, especially the wargear book. Lots of background and some nice artwork too :)

Wrath
26-04-2006, 23:11
I hate you so much right now....

swordwind
26-04-2006, 23:19
I got both the original Realm of Chaos books for 2.50 from the Cancer Research UK shop. :D

Flame Boy
26-04-2006, 23:50
I'm fairly sure the Destructor template was longer and narrower than the heavy flamer template, just for the info.

Minister
27-04-2006, 00:46
That's my first White Dwarf sitting there!

No, wait, it's my oldest one. The first one was three issues after that, but I saw a back issue and got it.

Warlord Kyle
27-04-2006, 01:22
u are one lucky sob.
I wish i had some of those antiques:)

sigur
27-04-2006, 01:44
Really, a great catch. You surely will enjoy those books. I remember a time when Codex Imperialis and the Wargear book were all I read.;)

Luckily, I own all the 2nd edition books (even the pretty obscure "Warhammer40.000 - Battles, this WD article compendium), except for Codex:SoB and Codex Assassins. 2nd edition books really have this special charme about them and if someone offered me the latest SM codex or Codex: Ultramarines, I definitly knew where my heart is.

The Dude
27-04-2006, 02:09
I have all of those things... somewhere.

I also have the Ork codex, but some MF stole my Angels of Death Codex!! (may he rot in hell)

Justicar_Freezer
27-04-2006, 02:16
Well my group for a long time refused to play 3rd edition so I have the old second edition books, as well as dark millennium, I also have most of the codexs off the top of my head, Ultramarines, Space Wolves, Angels of Death, Imperial Guard, Eldar, Chaos, and codex Assassins. I love reading through them and I am also tempted if I get my hands on the Ork, Nids and Sisters book to introduce my friends to second edition and teach them the fun of a none dumbed down game. Though it won't be to wargear heavy seeing as out of all the things I do have, I don't have the wargear card seat.
As for a side note, I play blood angels and it saddens me to see the third edition codex compared to my old Angels of death codex. Long live second edition.

The Dude
27-04-2006, 02:25
Someone actually gave me a near mint copy of the original MB/GW collaboration Space Crusade. Talk about flashbacks man. If only I still had all the bits to Hero Quest ha ha :D

New Cult King
27-04-2006, 03:29
That WD with the Dreadnaught on the front is the first one I ever owned. I had been into 40K for a while before that, but my parents bought me that WD for my 16th birthday :D

Over 10 years ago now... :(

Xak_Rampayge
27-04-2006, 05:40
Wow that is great, you don't see alot of stuff like that on ebay anymore

Brother_Bethor
27-04-2006, 07:34
That WD with the Dreadnaught on the front is the first one I ever owned. I had been into 40K for a while before that, but my parents bought me that WD for my 16th birthday :D

Over 10 years ago now... :(

Will you believe, that this WD was my first too? I bought it because of that strategy cards (I still have them :) ) even I didn't play wh40k then.
I love the old, 2nd ed. codices. I have the Angels of Death (my favorite), Ultramarines and Eldar. The fluff included there is just amazing.

What is in the 2nd ed. rulebooks: Codex Imperialis and Dark Millennium) ?

AgentZero
27-04-2006, 08:07
The Dark Millenium is a good steal too. The main books are easier to find, but not everyone bought the DM box when it came out.
Reminds you how sad psykers are now in the dumbed down 40k-verse.

I still play 2nd Edition with a few friends.It's always a good time.

Forces Unknown
27-04-2006, 11:44
What is in the 2nd ed. rulebooks: Codex Imperialis and Dark Millennium) ?

Codex: Imperialis is basically just a big book of fluff with stats for different units/characters as well, but mainly full of stories and background. I have to say, of all the editions of 40K, the fluff of 2nd Ed. is the best. I'm not as hard on the newer fluff as some people but really a lot of it is pretty bland compared to 2nd. Ed.

All writers should be required to read the Codex: Imperialis before starting on any new baclground for 40k.

Dark Millenium was an expansion with various things in it, I can't quite remember everything, but a lot of it was Psyker stuff.

Kjell
27-04-2006, 12:06
Dark Millenium (got that one, too! :D) is all about psychic powers with a few new vehicle rules and upgrades thrown in for good measure. Like new Dreadnoughts, vehicle squadron rules and conversion rules. There were a bunch of new wargear cards and some strategy cards as well.

I have duplicates of all the power cards with the exception of the Inquisitorial ones, of which I have triplicates. I have duplicates of all the power templates, too. Apart from the Destructor/Stream of Corruption one, which I lack completely. :p

Brother_Bethor
27-04-2006, 12:56
Thanks guys. It seems that I will have to look for Codex Imperialis. :cool:

Lord Solar Plexus
27-04-2006, 13:55
Great buy, congrats! I once managed to buy that box off ebay when we still played 2E - including 40 Grots, 20 new Orks, couple of Valhallans, ten marines, 10 ratlings, and 10 stealers - for something like 20 . The stuff was brandnew as if its previous owner had never touched it, and that was in 2003 or so!

Of course I still have it - including all codices, DM, Wargear book, and Codex Imperialis.

Jo Bennett
27-04-2006, 13:59
Am I the only one thinking this thread makes a lot of fuss about some pretty easy to find, and cheap, books and cards? 2nd ed was pretty widespread, a lot of people got into it at about 12 and dropped out about 15, dumping their stuff. :confused:

Jedi152
27-04-2006, 14:08
But I swear I will own all the old Ork books one day.
Don't. :mad:

My Waaaagh Orks! fell to bits and i lost half the pages - some are still scattered round by room. I almost cried when i found out how rare it is - i got it for a quid from GW.

I've lost my second ed. Wargear book too - i used to love just read all about the different weapons.

Enazel
27-04-2006, 14:33
hehe, Lets see, I got all the Rogue Trader books, and 95% of 2nd edition books sat on my shelf at home. All in good condition too :D

Typheron
27-04-2006, 15:14
for those that are interested:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/warhammer-40k-battle-game-dark-millenium-superb-game_W0QQitemZ8802224717QQcategoryZ2557QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

mmm the whole contents of the 2nd ed box and addon including TEH EVIL CARD ORK DREADDIE OF DOOMXORS!

Now you too can get properly 40k oldschool and battle to the death amidst card scenery unleashing using only your chief librarian and monster HQ while some other blokes from your chapter act as abladive shielding.

im not dissing it, i loved that, Even converted to cardboard scenery to have bases and built a small ruined city out of it.

ah the memories...

The Emperor
27-04-2006, 15:18
Hah, that dreadnought was hilarious. It was hard to take it seriously seeing its two-dimensional hide stomping towards you, but it was incredibly deadly nonetheless. Until it ate a krak missile, that is.

Typheron
27-04-2006, 15:24
yeh, even worse was its ability to hide, turn the thing side on and lamposts provided cover modifyers.

Dr.Chud
27-04-2006, 19:47
ah yes I had a copy of Waaaagh! Da Orks! as well as Ere We Go! and Freebooterz. I wish I had had the foresight to pick up the realm of Chaos books, but back then to buy the two of them would have been like a weeks worth of pay.

of course Waaaagh! Da Orks! fell apart because back then GW had this cockamamie scheme where they perforated all the pages and used this nonstandard hole punching pattern because they wanted everyone to buy binders from them and put your rulebooks in them. I loaned out Ere We Go and never got it back but I still have Freebooterz.

der_Kommissar
27-04-2006, 19:59
Mmmmm...Second edition fluff....

Alas, I started post 3rd edition but my friend has all the old shiny stuff. He gave me an awesome fluff book which has all the full color 40k artwork in it.

Long live the fluff!

I actually have some of the old cardboard scenery stuff. Those things are great. :)

gathering_darkness
27-04-2006, 20:14
Congrats on winning :) Hope you enjoy the books