PDA

View Full Version : Quick and dirty disembarking

meltedwing
12-03-2012, 15:18
This isn't really a rules thing as much as it is annoying to me.

So I was playing against a guy the other day and he spends about 5 minutes moving his chimera (or whatever it was) in order to get maximum targets under his flamer in the shooting phase while only moving 6 inches. He then spends about 30 seconds placing models about 8 inches away on the other side of the unit he intends to flame. I ask where these models are coming from and he indicates that the "disembarked from the chimera before it moved". Bear in mind that the Chimera was almost completely surrounded by difficult and dangerous terrain. I told him he should probably put the tank back, then disembark, then move. So he puts the tank back, but instead of disembarking and then moving, he crams disembarking and movement into one thing and just disembarks his guardsmen about 6 inches from where the chimera is. He then puts his chimera back where he had originally moved it to.

So I guess my question is this... would you let someone do this?

The other thing he seemed to do all game was draw line of sight for his lascanons from "roughly the region of his model" rather than from the weapon it'self.

Bunnahabhain
12-03-2012, 16:07
People like that just need to be told firmly " Do it properly, and a decent speed, a 2000pt game doesn't need to take 6 hours..."

LonelyPath
12-03-2012, 16:14
If someone tried that trick with the Chimera and Guardsmen on me I'd tell them firmly to do it properly. If they still tried to do it I'd pack up my army. It may sound a it childish, but if I can do it properly then I'm sure they can.

lunawolf7th
12-03-2012, 16:15
Well the rulebook is there for a reason, in a friendly game I would point out his mistakes then show him where in the book it states it, so that in the next game you play he will be expected to follow every rule as worded. It's the small details that determine the outcome, and that's what makes it fun. As for spending too much time lining up the flamer, if you quickly move on to the next phase and play down the results of the outcome he'll be less likely to do it again. Over thinking the game can lead to mistakes just as easily as under thinking.

ErictheGreen
12-03-2012, 16:35
honestly? no. In a friendly game, we know people make mistakes ("i forgot to roll for my psychic powers, I forgot to disembark, I forgot to shoot these" etc.). I'll happily let people go back and do them.

So i'd have let him get away with it. The first time. I'd point it out and let the game keep going, but if he kept doing it, I'd call him on it.

the thing he did after you made him move back, though, dick move. and cheating. if the chimera moves, then his dudesmen disembark, the chimera cannot continue its movement.

again with the lascannon thing. Point it out, don't be a dick. If he carries on doing it, bring out the WAAC and call him on everything. he'll learn.

Mr Zoat
12-03-2012, 19:03
Actually, if the lascannon was carried by an infantryman then LoS is checked from the models head, not the gun.

meltedwing
12-03-2012, 19:52
it was three twin linked lascanons on an IG flyer.

Kijamon
12-03-2012, 20:37
it was three twin linked lascanons on an IG flyer.

Still checked from the actual weapon, FYI that's a vendetta

meltedwing
12-03-2012, 20:59
Still checked from the actual weapon, FYI that's a vendetta

Good to know. I really need to read that codex.

Adra
12-03-2012, 21:05
I wouldnt get on him too much for the time he took, but i would be all over his disembarking faux pas.

Stonerhino
12-03-2012, 21:35
Bear in mind that the Chimera was almost completely surrounded by difficult and dangerous terrain. I told him he should probably put the tank back, then disembark, then move.Really this is the only part that concerns me. If he could disembark and move without going into Difficult terrain. Then I would let him. If it was questionable on whether or not it could be done. I would have him do it seperately.

In the end it should not really make any difference. The first models moved will block later model's placement. Just as if they where disembarked. The end placements will be a little off but not enough to warrent packing up your army.

However, if the guy was just unpleasent to play with. I would have switched on the rules lawyering and exploited everything I could.