PDA

View Full Version : the Red Scorpions

Glenn87
12-03-2012, 22:31
Just wondering, are the Red Scorpions a FW-invented Chapter?
It seems they've been in 4 IA books already, have their own sub-section on the FW site (Ultramarines are the only other ones), and have loads of goodies.

thinking of quitting Salamanders to start them (as I like pimping my army with FW stuff)

KeyOfTwilight
13-03-2012, 01:18
I think they had a small mention in past GW publications, but that was very early on. There is an image or two on lexicanum, the old beakie armor examples of different chapters, and they have one.

They are actually in more than 4 FW books, since they participated in the siege of vraks, anphelion, and badab. So technically I think they're at 5 for mentioning, and 3 for rules.

They are actually my current pet project, and loads of fun to paint. Their two special characters, as well as their upgrade for tactical squads is awesome.

lemme see if I can get this all down for you so you can reference (current) rules.

IA 6: Has rules for Red Scorpions Tactical squads in 5th edition. You can use these rules if you don't take the Chapter Master version of Carab Culln.
IA 9: Has rules for High Commander Carab Culln and Librarian Sevrin Loth. Both are beasts, and Carab lets you take apothecaries for free upgrades instead of paying with the rules in IA 6.
Forgeworld Website: Has rules for Carab Culln as a Vanguard vet sergeant, Carab as Commander of the 1st company, and Vet Sergeant Haas, who is a 2W leader for a tactical squad that confers relentless, and he also has an iron halo.

In my army right now I have Carab as the High Commander version, and Haas leading my main tactical squad.

-Loki-
13-03-2012, 03:23
FW likes picking up old chapters and giving them a thorough workout. I don't think there's a single chapter they've done that they created, they're mostly old chapters that got like, a single Marine shown in the colour scheme and the name of the chapter shown somewhere, but then left. Some have a small amount of pre-IA background, like the chapters involved with the Badab War.

KeyOfTwilight
13-03-2012, 03:50
Hmm, yeah. Also, red Scorpions supposedly had a small, very small presence in the 3rd war for Armageddon. They have been one of the cooler backgrounds that FW developed though, what with their mysterious founding, ambiguous gene-seed, and noble nature.

Glenn, if you do go for Red Scorpions, and you want to play to their fluff, don't use scout squads to scout or infiltrate in games. The chapter has a distaste for subversive tactics like that, and in fact back in 4th edition their rules only allowed you 0-1 scouts and 0-1 scout bikes, and no one could use infiltrate. I may take scouts at some point, but it would be on bikes to harass flanks or in speeders for mobile cheap fire.

GreyishKnight
13-03-2012, 08:08
Yeah, the Red Scorpions seem to get their mitts into all the major campaigns and have somewhat become FW's adopted SM posterboys, much like Ultramarines to GW or Blood Ravens to Relic. Must admit the support and development have made it a great-looking chapter to collect and Culln and Loth got some of the more impressive rules out of the special characters, in the Badab series.

KeyOfTwilight
13-03-2012, 09:21
Aye, they are sort of the poster child for FW, though the same could be said about the Astral Claws. Both have great rules, characters, models, and such. The Astral Claws even have a specialized army list to go with them.

But back to Red Scorpions, I myself cannot wait to finish my army so I can start playing in local tournies. My games store allows all FW rules that are non apocalypse. I don't know if more national tournies do, but I could hope so. Don't know how I would run my army without good ole' Carab.

ErictheGreen
13-03-2012, 10:37
Hmm, yeah. Also, red Scorpions supposedly had a small, very small presence in the 3rd war for Armageddon. They have been one of the cooler backgrounds that FW developed though, what with their mysterious founding, ambiguous gene-seed, and facist nature.

Glenn, if you do go for Red Scorpions, and you want to play to their fluff, don't use scout squads to scout or infiltrate in games. The chapter has a distaste for subversive tactics like that, and in fact back in 4th edition their rules only allowed you 0-1 scouts and 0-1 scout bikes, and no one could use infiltrate. I may take scouts at some point, but it would be on bikes to harass flanks or in speeders for mobile cheap fire.

Fixed that for you.

Also, tactical squads with Feel No Pain don't seem as horrendous with the advent of blood angels (if the scorpions still have that rule)

Glenn87
13-03-2012, 10:47
Alright KeyOfTwilight, thanks for the info. I found the rules and stuff (except for the vet. sergeants, will have to look them up).

Do you think they'll make more characters/stuff for the Red Scorpions in the future?
It would suck to start them, and them not getting anything new.

And IF I'm going to start them, then Loth is the FIRST thing I'm buying, that guy's the one who got me hooked up!!

Glenn87
13-03-2012, 10:50
Ow, KeyOfTwilight, could you get me the link to Haas and serg. Culln's rules?? Because I can't find them on the site anymore :s

KeyOfTwilight
13-03-2012, 17:34
Ow, KeyOfTwilight, could you get me the link to Haas and serg. Culln's rules?? Because I can't find them on the site anymore :s

They're in the space marine update pdf.

hangnail
18-03-2012, 07:11
Way back when, the Red Scorpions were certainly down the fascist end, having 'mutie-hunts' and trolling abhumans, and in one memorable story in the midst of a 40K book, shooting their way through retreating Imperial Guard forces to get to the enemy. Naturally this has all been toned down of late.

Reivax26
18-03-2012, 08:01
This makes me wonder if Forge World couldn't take up the cause of the Soul Drinkers and make their rules and unique models since its apparent that GW isn't going to even though they have written numerous books about them.

AndrewGPaul
18-03-2012, 20:38
Way back when, the Red Scorpions were certainly down the fascist end, having 'mutie-hunts' and trolling abhumans, and in one memorable story in the midst of a 40K book, shooting their way through retreating Imperial Guard forces to get to the enemy. Naturally this has all been toned down of late.

Which book was this? I had thought that the Red Scorpions were nothing but a name and a badge between their introduction in WD93 and their reappearance in Imperial Armour vol. 4.

As for the Soul Drinkers, I don't think Forge World will bother with those. You'll note that most forces they have described and produced extensive model ranges for have been ones relatively untouched by other writers.

Jo-Jo
18-03-2012, 20:39
Red Scorpions existed before FW, however they existed just as a paint scheme, and a sentence or two of fluff, before FW took them and made them their own. The same goes for DKoK

AndrewGPaul
18-03-2012, 20:50
Yes, I think you'll note I mentioned that in my opening sentence, and when I said "relatively untouched by other writers". :) The Elysian Drop Troops had a page or so of fluff and rules in a White Dwarf, and the Death Korps of Krieg had a picture and list of doctrines in both 3rd edition Imperial Guard codexes. The Swordwind book for Epic also had some info on them, which Forge World ignored, as usual. :)