PDA

View Full Version : messed up gw glue?

Demoulius
12-03-2012, 23:58
hello gents,

A while ago my plastic glue ran out so I ran off to the GW to support my local store. Im pretty happy with how the stuff normally works but this pot is just...wonky.

Just about every model or piece of terrain that ive glued or glued something to with this **** falls apart if you so much as look at it or sneeze in its general direction. One or two models fell on the floor and scattered in every direction in stead of happily bouncing around like my old models do :confused:

I noticed the pot has "plastic glue thick" written on it but this stuff isent good for glueing anything at all. Ive also noticed that when the parts come apart some sort of brittle layer is underneath the area where the glue used to be. Im using the same amount of glue as I ever have, what gives? :wtf:

Corporeal
13-03-2012, 03:33
it's just garbage. you're better off using an actual CA glue or even a plastic cement.

grey knights rock
13-03-2012, 04:01
Locktite makes GREAT glue for the same if not cheaper price than GW. I would suggest getting some of that.

teheuax
13-03-2012, 07:12
Sounds like bad luck to me. I have been using mine for over a year and the bond it makes it a very nice weld. The model will actually break right near the bond instead of the glue giving. However that makes it a real pain to repair flying bases which doesn't glue too good.

Beppo1234
13-03-2012, 13:58
I get better bond from primer than I do from GW glue

mattjgilbert
13-03-2012, 14:00
Use humbrol liquid poly for plastics and if you need super glue, get a decent CA glue as Corporeal says (something like zap-a-gap).

Adra
13-03-2012, 14:39
Funny you should say this...

...in my local store everyone is moaning at the moment about the plastic glue. No one seems happy with it and alot of models are falling apart. Even some staff are unhappy. Seems the general theory is that it was a bad batch and they are all waiting for a new batch to come out asap to see what its like.

Larkyn
13-03-2012, 15:07
I noticed this with a bottle of the stuff too, went back to my LGS, complained, and got a new one. This one works much better now. Must have just been a bad batch.

Greatgut
13-03-2012, 15:10
I bought the exact same glue in early Jan ... and have spent the last 2 days gluing everything back together as they all fell apart. Will not be buying GW glue again!

Draconis
13-03-2012, 15:22
Call customer service. They'll replace it. GW CS is actually really good. However, I'd suggest Testor's plastic weld. It's amazing and the model will break before it comes apart.

kaimarion
13-03-2012, 19:37
Try get a hold of the Revell plastic glue, it is in a blue tub and they sell it most model shops.
The glue is fantastic and it goes a long, long, long way.

Royals
13-03-2012, 19:44
I use Tamaya Extra Thin plastic glue for infantry and Testor's for larger models. They're the best in my opinion.

Vipoid
13-03-2012, 19:52
I've never had a problem with GW plastic glue.

On the other hand, I've never managed to stick anything together with their superglue.

One of my friends suggested that Citadel superglue was invented when a store assistant found a substance that stuck his fingers together, and immediatly assumed it was superglue. Whereas, in fact, it was simply a substance that could stick fingers together and nothing else.

Demoulius
14-03-2012, 02:39
I am glad (well not glad...relieved) that im not the only one experiencing this problem :D

Their superglue is rubbish, their plastic glue was pretty awesome actually as it melted the parts together :) (or seemed to be anyway)

Il see if I can get a replacement bottle. Or failing that, one of the glues suggested. Cheers guys!

Born Again
14-03-2012, 10:12
Been using GW plastic glue for years, and never had any problems, including with the new bottle I got last week.

Horace35
14-03-2012, 10:30
The superglue is just as bad..

Had several bottles in a row just gradually thicken until not useable.

Loctite gets my vote, it is just as good glue-wise, you get more and its cheaper.

Vipoid
14-03-2012, 11:28
Loctite gets my vote, it is better glue-wise, you get more and its cheaper.

Fixed that for you...

Deamon-forge
14-03-2012, 11:50
never used their glue, even in the shop i refused to use their glue as i think its crap and over priced. and a friend use theior stuff and said same thing re the plastic glue its not sticking or coming un stuck!

Dezartfox
14-03-2012, 12:24
There was an issue when they reduced the amount of oil in the plastics, the glue refused to melt it. It's hit and miss whether it'll work with their glue or not I find.

However with the new set of glue coming out this weekend I will be testing them to see if they work any better :)

LonelyPath
14-03-2012, 14:46
Personally I use Revell and Humbrol liquid poly with the tube applicators alnogside Filla-Glu. Much better to wok with.

Warmaster Bill
18-03-2012, 16:42
I too can vouch for Loctite, I use their superglue for everything.

Rated_lexxx
19-03-2012, 19:25
Locktite makes GREAT glue for the same if not cheaper price than GW. I would suggest getting some of that.

I have been using this stuff for a long time. I have both professional and control version of it.

I call the professional loctite the commiment glue because once you use it that piece is pretty much not coming off

Starscream24
22-03-2012, 22:59
Personally, I use Plastic Weld from EMA Model supplies (anyone selling Javis products can get it).
I've been using it since 1992.

It come in a tall glass bottle and it has the consistancy of water and you paint it on.... you just hold together the two pieces, paint along the seam and it seeps in all the cracks welding itl together tightly.... in just a few seconds.
It costs about 2.00 to 2.50 depending on where you buy it.

It has a secondary use for cleaning up flash-lines, sich as the seam on either side of a space marines' legs.
Once you've filed it down, paint plastic weld over the top and it'll clean it up ready for painting.

The best thing is that your models look much better because you're only applying a thin layer (unlike poly cement which comes out the sides when you squeeze your pieces together!).

It's also good for cleaning up paint brushes that have paint clogged at the root where the metal band finishes.

Keep the lid on as much as you can, it evaporates pretty quickly (which is why it's so very effective).
You lose the first half-inch quite quickly, but then it settles down.
You could easily make 3 or 4 Baneblades in a single bottle.

Written on the bottle:
"Use Plastic Weld to cement any of the following plastics to each other, or in any combination:
Styrene, Butyrate, ABS, Acrylic (Lucite or Plexiglas), Perspex."

gutsmaka
23-03-2012, 05:58
tis' true about the glue. a bunch of models that were glued with the same glue about 4 months ago disintegrated when I took them out of my case. sad but true :(