PDA

View Full Version : Next codex...and 6th edition....how can they go together??

Aeron
13-03-2012, 18:18
Howdy folks,

this isnt about what comes next etc. But I've read there is a 40k codex being released between now and the next edition of 40k in the summer. I dont get it.

Would the codex go to follow the present rules or the upcoming rules - or a bit of both??

I dont understand how it can be done. Unless the new changes to 40k are quite minor....in which case, alot of people are going to be dissapointed.

Basically how can this work?? Surely you would wait until the next edition has been launched...:confused:

I admit that we dont know the new rules yet and that the "leaked" rumours were supposedly a hoax, but like I stated earlier unless the changes are minor how can the next codex (DA or Chaos w/e it is) be compatible??

Apologies if the answer is obvious and I've missed it among all the threads. :)

Cheers.

Nate.

Ozendorph
13-03-2012, 18:33
Actually the edition changes could be fairly substantial and a codex can be written that will work (technically) both in 5th and 6th. Provided USRs continue to exist along with current unit-type terminology (infantry, jump infantry, cavalry, etc) the rules behind those key-words or terms may change without "breaking" the codex. For example, a reader may say "wow, this unit is pretty expensive considering it has Rage" without knowing that units will have to fail a Ld test to be affected by Rage in the next edition. And so on, like that. There may be a few things that make no sense (like the assault and defensive grenades in the daemons book prior to 5th), but something about omelets, eggs, and e-rants applies.

metro_gnome
13-03-2012, 18:33
well some codex has to be the last of the edition...
it was orks last time... and for the 3 or 4 months some things didn't make sense...
but its still a more relevant codex than some of the 5th ed drek... I'm looking at you nids...

ReveredChaplainDrake
13-03-2012, 18:46
As I recall, last edition technically ended on Chaos Daemons and officially started with Space Marines, though for all intents and purposes the Daemon book was full-blown 5th edition ready. Somewhat like the Necron book now, what with all the weird looking stuff in it (PE on Destroyers, Rapid Fire 1 weapons).

An interesting thought though: do you think they might not start an edition with a Space Marine codex for once? Or that Space Marines might be (*gasp!*) skipped for an edition? The last Space Marine codex is only a few years old, and it's still one of the more functional books to come out of 5th (i.e. it came out of 5th better than Tyranids did). What would a new Ultramarine codex do, besides standardize the Stormraven, cheapen the Devastators, price hike the TH/SS Terminators, and un-retinue the Command Squad? Plus, there's already fairly strong rumors that Ultramarines won't be in the starter set.

Gorbad Ironclaw
13-03-2012, 21:14
Or that Space Marines might be (*gasp!*) skipped for an edition?

No chance of that happening. You might see Space Marines get two books in an edition, but you will never see them not get a book. They make up such a huge chunk of GWs overall sales that it's impossible not to release up to date books for them.

Egaeus
13-03-2012, 22:07
No chance of that happening. You might see Space Marines get two books in an edition, but you will never see them not get a book. They make up such a huge chunk of GWs overall sales that it's impossible not to release up to date books for them.

Well the Black Templars don't have a "current" Codex, so it's always possible that they could begin a new cycle without redoing the "vanilla" Marine book.

But seeing that the Marine book usually starts the new cycle (plus GW gets to re-hype Marines) I don't see why they wouldn't redo if.

If there is an "interim" Codex being released then it might well be designed with the next edition in mind...but as it's March already "summer" doesn't seem all that far off...but then GW doesn't really hype the new stuff as far ahead as they used to and I don't really pay that much attention anyways.

The thing is while rules changes can be fairly sweeping the core rules have to remain pretty much intact, since they don't release new books that often (unless they were planning a major overhaul ala 3rd edition)...all of the current books will have to work with a new edition (possibly with updated FAQs) so things can't get too crazy. And if they do at what point are people going to consider that it's no longer truly "40K"?

Cheeslord
13-03-2012, 22:08

Which means that if theres one thing you can be sure of about 6th - there will be no rules change that screws over the space marines.

Mark.

ChaplainOrion
13-03-2012, 23:10
The next codex will easily go with the next edition if you apply some glue... wait that's not what you want.

Well they would have to keep it ready for the next edition, as having a codex that doesn't work at all, this would apply to all the other codexes that are not released, would be a huge business flaw on their part.

Charistoph
13-03-2012, 23:18
There will be little difference between a codex released 2 months before an Edition release and a codex released 2-3 months after release in terms of compatibility with a new Edition.

Now the Design Paradigm may change, as we saw with Codex: Space Marines, but that's an entirely different order of business.

Beppo1234
14-03-2012, 00:05
indeed as others have said, those in the know, know what the changes in 6th are going to be, and any more recent codex will have those changes in mind.

Eldoriath
14-03-2012, 01:36
Would the codex go to follow the present rules or the upcoming rules - or a bit of both??

I dont understand how it can be done. Unless the new changes to 40k are quite minor....in which case, alot of people are going to be dissapointed.

Basically how can this work??

Basically it can work since codexes since 3rd/4th edition will still work with 6th edition, so no problem making a codex in/at end of 5th edition and make it work with 6th ed. As others has said, the last codex has been written mainly with the next edition ruleset making some rules "wtf?" in the current edition but "Ah, so that is what they meant =)" in the next edition 2-3 months later.

Beppo1234
14-03-2012, 02:09
Basically it can work since codexes since 3rd/4th edition will still work with 6th edition, so no problem making a codex in/at end of 5th edition and make it work with 6th ed. As others has said, the last codex has been written mainly with the next edition ruleset making some rules "wtf?" in the current edition but "Ah, so that is what they meant =)" in the next edition 2-3 months later.

I'd say a year prior to a new edition, that the designers have some idea of what is going to be in the new edition.

spaint2k
14-03-2012, 05:44
What would a new Ultramarine codex do, besides standardize the Stormraven, cheapen the Devastators, price hike the TH/SS Terminators, and un-retinue the Command Squad? Plus, there's already fairly strong rumors that Ultramarines won't be in the starter set.

Command squads aren't retinues. The captain remains an independent character.