PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts WoC Cavalry List

lisaundead
13-03-2012, 20:58
This is the result of much musing over beer about the effectiveness of a fully mounted WoC list.
Below is the first draft of my list and will be going up against a friend's Ogre army (SM, Bull horde, Ironblaster, leadbelchers, Mournfangs) in a FUN game:

SORCEROR LORD - Lv4, MoT, Disc, Crown of Command, 3rd Eye of Tzeentch, Talisman of Preservation
SORCEROR - Lv2, MoT, Disc, Infernal Puppet

MARAUDER HORSEMEN (10) - FC, MoK, Flails
MARAUDER HORSEMEN (5) - Std, Flails
MARAUDER HORSEMEN (5) - Std, Flails
CHAOS WARHOUNDS (6)
CHAOS WARHOUNDS (5)

CHAOS KNIGHTS (15) - FC, MoN, Banner of Rage

Totally unrealistic?
Need some protection on the Lv2?

Advice welcomed :)

lisaundead
14-03-2012, 08:27
Another option, rather than take the 2nd caster is to take an exalted BSB, mounted with Word of Agony and go Slaughtermaster hunting OR with Book of Secrets.

Viable alternatives?
I quite like the Word of Agony option...hmmmmmmm ;)

lisaundead
14-03-2012, 11:25
Plan would be:

Knight bus front and centre to take on the Ogre horde block and try to devastate it on the charge.
2 large blocks of Horsemen to challenge the Belchers and Mournfangs.
smaller blocks of horsemen and dogs to harass the Ironblaster and to cause a nuisance where needed.

Discs to whizz around causing mishief with offensive Tzeentch magic where possible.

Not sure how effective this style of play will be but Im hoping it will be fun :)

EndlessBug
14-03-2012, 11:54
your level 2 will just get picked off by a Ironblaster. Charmed shield to ignore first hit at least?

give it a go for a laugh obviously but I do think it'll struggle Vs ogres. If he takes a big unit of Iron Guts then your knights are in trouble :)

grhino
15-03-2012, 09:31
That 15 stong unit of knights - are you going 8+7 in two ranks? That will def. hurt his units when the charge hits home... being outmanouvred might cause trouble - use the warhounds wisely!

medevilmike
15-03-2012, 14:45
id say drop the coc on mage lord, drop the lvl 2 mage and add ex bsb on reg horse with a hally and stream of corruption, drop 1 night and add him to the unit. 14 knights+ a char will destroy most things they touch, I would also consider mark of slaanesh on 2 smaller horsie units

lisaundead
16-03-2012, 12:46
id say drop the coc on mage lord, drop the lvl 2 mage and add ex bsb on reg horse with a hally and stream of corruption, drop 1 night and add him to the unit. 14 knights+ a char will destroy most things they touch, I would also consider mark of slaanesh on 2 smaller horsie units

Thanks for the advice.

I think Ill drop the knights to 13 and add the mounted Exalted /BSB.
The Lv2 will disappear so when I get home Ill rearrange the list and post the revised version. I will have to see what I need to adjust to accomodate the Exalted points.

Thanks again

lisaundead
19-03-2012, 09:44
Revised list is as follows:

SORCEROR LORD - Lv4, MoT, Disc, 3rd Eye of Tzeentch, Talisman of Preservation
EXALTED HERO - MoT, Shield, Halberd, Chaos Steed, BSB - Warbanner

MARAUDER HORSEMEN (5) - Mus, Flails
CHAOS WARHOUNDS (5)
CHAOS WARHOUNDS (5)

CHAOS KNIGHTS (13) - FC, MoN, Banner of Rage

Now...I have a few points to spare (approx 200 off the top of my head) and Im wondering what extra I could squeeze in.

Options:

Chaos Chariot (MoK) and another few hounds
Another 5 Knights (trimming core to squeeze a few more points)
Another Exalted Hero with MoK on Juggernaut to add further punch to the knights.

Additional models I currently have: Chariot and Jugger Lord / Champ

Thanks for advice :)

lisaundead
19-03-2012, 13:26
Im kinda siding with the Jugger Hero combo just for cool factor :cool:

lisaundead
21-03-2012, 22:28
Well, the game is on next Wednesday against ogres...points have been increased to 2500 so what can I add to the list to boost my chances?

1 or maybe 2 chariots?
Another disc sorceror?

Advice gratefully recieved.

Thanks

ps I may do a battle report about this game

lisaundead
22-03-2012, 08:38
Here is the 2500 pt list to go up against my mate's Ogres:

SORCEROR LORD - Lv4, MoT, Disc, 3rd Eye of Tzeentch, Talisman of Preservation, Charmed Shield

CHAOS SORCEROR - Lv2, MoT, Disc, Golden Eye of Tzeentch, Dispel Scroll
EXALTED HERO - MoT, BSB - Warbanner, Halberd, Shield, Chaos Steed
EXALTED HERO - MoK, Juggernaut, Sword of Strife

CHAOS WARHOUNDS (6)
CHAOS WARHOUNDS (6)
CHAOS WARHOUNDS (6)

CHAOS KNIGHTS (13) - FC, MoN, Banner of Rage

CHAOS CHARIOT
CHAOS CHARIOT

Plan would be for both Exalteds to join the Knights and create some punch to the centre of the line with Marauder Horsemen vanguarding either side, to cause trouble.
Discs whizz about keeping out of trouble, dogs screen and the chariots will either double team one flank or fly solo either side.
Any suggestions on how to make this cavalry themed list more effective?

many thanks in anticipation :)

Dreadlordpaul
22-03-2012, 08:54
good luck against the ogres they are a hard army to beat but the moment your knight bus hits him he should be feeling the fury of khorne :p

lisaundead
22-03-2012, 09:57
Thanks for that Dread.

Im planning on, either...swamping his whole line and flanks with chaff and the fast mobile elements of the army while the Knights go straight for the Slaughtermaster + BSB horde, hopefully with a combo charge OR set up a refused flank and devastate one flank of his army with everything at once...I will have to see what he has and guage the best tactic to use.

I think he will have some Mournfang cav, an Ironblaster and a Stonehorn along with a horde of ogres, leadbelchers and a SM.

Should be a cool game :cool:

Thalenchar
22-03-2012, 10:49
I also am currently running an all-mounted WoC army and I find Mark of Slaanesh works extremely well on Marauder Horsemen. It basically gives you ItP but still allows you to flee as a charge reaction (which is always good for fast cavalry). Mark of Khorne is tempting on flail Horsemen, but hasn't yet really worked out for me so far. Curious to see how that'll work for you.
I also like using an exalted hero with the Glaive of Putrefication so I can go monster hunting with him. Sure, he'll most likely croak fighting something like a HPA, a Hydra, or Stonehorn, but he usually does a wound on the beast, reducing it to S and T 2. Big monsters are a lot less scary when they're only T2.
I'm curious to see how you do with the big units of knights. I use two smaller units (but currently have to playtest for a 2200 pts tourney, so have fewer points than you do anyway).
Good luck!

lisaundead
22-03-2012, 11:28
I also am currently running an all-mounted WoC army and I find Mark of Slaanesh works extremely well on Marauder Horsemen. It basically gives you ItP but still allows you to flee as a charge reaction (which is always good for fast cavalry). Mark of Khorne is tempting on flail Horsemen, but hasn't yet really worked out for me so far. Curious to see how that'll work for you.
I also like using an exalted hero with the Glaive of Putrefication so I can go monster hunting with him. Sure, he'll most likely croak fighting something like a HPA, a Hydra, or Stonehorn, but he usually does a wound on the beast, reducing it to S and T 2. Big monsters are a lot less scary when they're only T2.
I'm curious to see how you do with the big units of knights. I use two smaller units (but currently have to playtest for a 2200 pts tourney, so have fewer points than you do anyway).
Good luck!

Thanks for the comments Thalenchar.
I did consider 2 smaller units of knights, however I feel that the board will be congested as it is with the number of fast moving units I have already and I want the Knight unit (8 x 2) with the 2 exalteds + juggernaut on the front to really hit the horde and hit it hard, hopefully breaking it on the turn i charge or at least doing some serious damage that turn.

The Glaive sounds like an interesting option, I may look in to that one, thanks.
Ive got an aversion to Slaanesh Im afraid, cant explain why. Although if I were to add some Slaanesh in I would have a representative from each of the 4 gods...hmmmmmmmm!

Thalenchar
22-03-2012, 12:52
IŽm not much of a fan of Mark of Slaanesh either, tbh, but the one place I find it useful is on the Horsemen.
And I completely understand you taking a big unit of knights for this game. Seems a good hammer to take on the horde. For other battles, I havenŽt found the board to be that congested at all even with 2 units of knights and all those horsemen. The horsemen are very fast and super mobile, so youŽll almost always will be able to create enough room for your knights. At least thatŽs what IŽve found.

lisaundead
22-03-2012, 13:03
From what I remember of the board in my LGS (my friend is a staffer), the board is not huge and one side is fairly congested with terrain (hill and ruin) sculpted on the the board...so most of the action will be down one end and straight up the middle.

I love big blocks of knights but I dont have enough models at the mo to field another smaller unit, hence the chariots. I would have included a chaos lord on steed if I didnt need the magic side of the game, but hey ho :)

Whats the feeling on Lore of Tzeentch? Will it prove to be effective against ogres?

Dreadlordpaul
22-03-2012, 15:46
against ogres i would lose the MoT and disc take the barded steed and death him

Thalenchar
22-03-2012, 16:16
Lore of Tzeentch on a lvl 4 disc rider vs. Ogres:

1) Flickering Fire. Cheap missile that you can use when you have one die left over in your power pool. Great for taking out lone sabres, able to snipe a wound or two off basically everything in the book
2) Baleful Transmogr. Less useful in 8th and the new BSB rules, but still pretty good for a 7+ spell. With the Ogres low leadership you should be able to take a few wounds off units outside of BSB range. Try this on an ironblaster. Good on sabres too. Remember you don't need LoS for this one
3) Pandaemonium. Hands down best spell of the lore, arguably one of the best 5 spells in the entire game. Always cast this every magic phase, if possible. Not only will it hamper your opponent in his magic phase, the LD penalty is game changing. Love this one.
4) Treason. Good to cast on units that have a higher S than they do T, so ironguts, maneaters, etc are good targets. Not the best spell in the world, but servicable.
5) Call to Glory. Useless for you, and not very good to begin with anyway.
6) Gateway. The one people fear. Ogres will fear this just as much as other players. You'll rarely make a unit go poof in one go, but when it happens your opponent will curse loudly. Vs Ogres just doing high strength hits is good as well. Also remember you don't need LoS for this one.

Your guy on disc will have the mobility to get in range of the spells he wants to cast and keep about 15" away from the Ogre mages who potentially have hellheart, if you're worried about that.

Honestly, I think Lore of Tzeentch and a disc (and a +1 ward save) is a lot better than using a death mage here.

lisaundead
22-03-2012, 16:43
against ogres i would lose the MoT and disc take the barded steed and death him

the LV2 or both?

Dreadlordpaul
22-03-2012, 16:50
the level 4

lisaundead
22-03-2012, 21:25
Thanks for advice Dread, but for now I think Ill stick to the disc mounted MoT sorcerors, because:

1) I have the models already
2) The range of Death spells (Hellheart)
3) +1 wardsave will be useful
4) +1 casting
5) Good variety of Tzeentch magic spells

Thanks again

Thalenchar
23-03-2012, 09:56
Like I said a couple of posts up, I also think Lore of Tzeentch is better. Death is definitely good, but for WoC Tzeentch is better overall.