PDA

View Full Version : Counting as khorne?

omgitsduane
13-03-2012, 22:59
I was looking at some of my assembled plague marines last night and noticed a few of them had either one messed up morphed blade arm, and a chainsword/axe and others had a pistol and a morphed arm so I was curious as how far I could stretch the count as rule and what others thought of it.

My idea was to assemble a squad of 8 "plague marines" with close combat weapons/ bolt pistols and call them khorne for gaming purposes. I do love the fluff of khorne and find others fear them on the table (rightly so) but their models would seriously not fit in with a death guard army. I'm happy to take them as plague marines and leave it at that but again, curious about if it would cause issues on table for anyone else?

TL;DR
Modelling plague marines for khorne in game. Ideas?

Latro_
13-03-2012, 23:18
Its all about who you game with. To be honest though having plague marine models with bolters as 'plague marines' and plague marines models with ccw/pistols as 'berzerkers' in the same army is really gonna be confusing for a lot of opponents. Either do one or the other i'd say.

To be honest i'd stick with the PM rules as overall they work out better than zerkers as a troops choice.

I'v used my world eaters and deathguard in the same army, the colour contrast is not actually as jaring as you'd think. Its actually pretty refreshing to see, kinda like an eldar army.
From a fluffy standpoint its very fluffy for zerks to be included in another force, infact its more fluffy to do that then have a pure world eaters army!

omgitsduane
13-03-2012, 23:24
Its all about who you game with. To be honest though having plague marine models with bolters as 'plague marines' and plague marines models with ccw/pistols as 'berzerkers' in the same army is really gonna be confusing for a lot of opponents. Either do one or the other i'd say.

To be honest i'd stick with the PM rules as overall they work out better than zerkers as a troops choice.

I'v used my world eaters and deathguard in the same army, the colour contrast is not actually as jaring as you'd think. Its actually pretty refreshing to see, kinda like an eldar army.
From a fluffy standpoint its very fluffy for zerks to be included in another force, infact its more fluffy to do that then have a pure world eaters army!

I've always been against any cult troops except zerkers cos of their merc ways, but in my first serious cult army I am just a little worried they might not fit in all that well, and any way I could get away with having more plague marines would be great. I'd obviously have them less mutated and carrying only the pistol and axe, ALL my other marines are carrying bolters because thats just how I see them working and it looks mean still. So wargear alone wouldn't confuse the two.

Charistoph
13-03-2012, 23:30
If you have them available, Possessed arms could also work well. Paint them right, and you could get a whole 28 Days Later vibe to them making them crazed plague marines instead of the lethargic ones. Depending on your coloring, if you went with the classic rust, green/brown mixture on your normal Plagues, then swap out the green with red in painting these new models to indicate their blood spatter and sores.

Draconis
13-03-2012, 23:33
My entire army is Nurgle based, yet I have 1ksons, two squads of beserkers and some other things. My reasoning behind them is that my DP has been gifted a virus that gives him virtual control over his army. It's basically zombification. But it allows me to stay fluffwise with nurgle and field other things. So I say go for it.

omgitsduane
13-03-2012, 23:36
If you have them available, Possessed arms could also work well. Paint them right, and you could get a whole 28 Days Later vibe to them making them crazed plague marines instead of the lethargic ones. Depending on your coloring, if you went with the classic rust, green/brown mixture on your normal Plagues, then swap out the green with red in painting these new models to indicate their blood spatter and sores.
This is actually a great idea reflected in the below comment as well. Crazed zombies instead of the slow boring ones. Love it!

My entire army is Nurgle based, yet I have 1ksons, two squads of beserkers and some other things. My reasoning behind them is that my DP has been gifted a virus that gives him virtual control over his army. It's basically zombification. But it allows me to stay fluffwise with nurgle and field other things. So I say go for it.

Interesting idea. I've just loved death guard from the start. Before I decided I wanted to play no-name marines, but I knew I didn't have the skills to do it justice so I left it til now. I don't know how often I'd even use the "khorne" but I'd like the option there for if I ever wanted, plus angry plague marines would be interesting.

Dryaktylus
14-03-2012, 01:54
Well, not all gifts from Nurgle are improving the resilience of his followers. For example "Green Pox" turn you into "little more than a walking skeleton" (to represent the loss of FnP). And Mortarion can grant you "Yellow Dementia" ("skin turn bright yellow", "eyes swell up like poached eggs", "facial muscles turn into a manic grin", "cannot resist hand-to-hand combat", "fights with the infamous ferocity of the hardened lunatic"). It's old stuff from "RoC -The Lost and the Damned", but if you take some enthusiasm to convert your models (skeleton or zombie parts, more dynamic pose) the ancient fluff is on your side.

omgitsduane
14-03-2012, 05:19
Well, not all gifts from Nurgle are improving the resilience of his followers. For example "Green Pox" turn you into "little more than a walking skeleton" (to represent the loss of FnP). And Mortarion can grant you "Yellow Dementia" ("skin turn bright yellow", "eyes swell up like poached eggs", "facial muscles turn into a manic grin", "cannot resist hand-to-hand combat", "fights with the infamous ferocity of the hardened lunatic"). It's old stuff from "RoC -The Lost and the Damned", but if you take some enthusiasm to convert your models (skeleton or zombie parts, more dynamic pose) the ancient fluff is on your side.

I don't know how far id go. I dont really feel they should be mutated besides a few blades and running leg kind of thing. I may try and make a test model for each to display the differences in a obvious way.

omgitsduane
14-03-2012, 06:18
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/teh_used/IMG_1400.jpg Khorne!
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/teh_used/IMG_1401.jpg Plague marine!

Nothing alike correct?

Fangschrecken
14-03-2012, 17:07
I think its really going to depend on paint scheme.

omgitsduane
14-03-2012, 21:25
I think its really going to depend on paint scheme.

Could do the khorne as preheresy colors to show their age maybe?

Charistoph
14-03-2012, 23:41
Could do the khorne as preheresy colors to show their age maybe?

You can do whatever you want. But with models so close to each other, it helps you be a good sportsman if you make it a little obvious. Gear is good, but coloring makes up for it. In my case, my non-cult marines are in mottled brown armor and my Rubrics are in purple. When I get around to building and painting my apothecary "plague marines", they will be in stone or grey robes with blood spatters.

And what would be the pre-heresy colors for your warband? World Eaters blue and white? Or just go with the same base color as your plague marines will be but with bloody hands and boots with spatters all over the rest of him to sell that blood crazed berzerker feel.

omgitsduane
15-03-2012, 00:16
You can do whatever you want. But with models so close to each other, it helps you be a good sportsman if you make it a little obvious. Gear is good, but coloring makes up for it. In my case, my non-cult marines are in mottled brown armor and my Rubrics are in purple. When I get around to building and painting my apothecary "plague marines", they will be in stone or grey robes with blood spatters.

And what would be the pre-heresy colors for your warband? World Eaters blue and white? Or just go with the same base color as your plague marines will be but with bloody hands and boots with spatters all over the rest of him to sell that blood crazed berzerker feel.

I linked a few posts up to pictures of what the respective marines might look like, to give an idea in the flesh of how different they will be table top wise.
Pre-heresy world eaters are blue and white yes, but of course healthy doses of blood, I may just end up making them khorne in preheresy colors after all this, as I really like the idea.

Draconis
15-03-2012, 01:51
Yep. Basically, my CSM are the Sons of Decay. You can see some models in my sig below. Their DP has the deadly Mind Slaver plague and those infected become zombies under his control. Nobody is immune. They are a 2nd founding based on DG however they like to use heavy daemonic forces. I captured a few squads of khorne beserkers who rose from the dead to serve under me. 1kson was tricky, as they have automatons, however once the sorcerer was mine, so did their automatons. I still painted Kharne like kharne, because well, he shows up when he damned well pleases.

omgitsduane
15-03-2012, 13:05
Yep. Basically, my CSM are the Sons of Decay. You can see some models in my sig below. Their DP has the deadly Mind Slaver plague and those infected become zombies under his control. Nobody is immune. They are a 2nd founding based on DG however they like to use heavy daemonic forces. I captured a few squads of khorne beserkers who rose from the dead to serve under me. 1kson was tricky, as they have automatons, however once the sorcerer was mine, so did their automatons. I still painted Kharne like kharne, because well, he shows up when he damned well pleases.

I had a look and I really like a lot of what you have there. Very nice painting too.

totgeboren
16-03-2012, 12:16
Depending on your skill, I think your idea of using basically Plague Marine models with different arms could work well enough. Maybe base them on normal CSM, and just greenstuff them slightly to make em look nurglish.
I play Word Bearers, who (IMO) don't field Cult Troops, but I really wanted a squad of Berzerkers. Here is a link (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?191618-My-Traitor-Guards&p=5629009&viewfull=1#post5629009) to how I solved it. Not exactly what you are looking for, but they are my 'Assault Veterans', who count-as Berzerkers.

Lothlanathorian
16-03-2012, 19:53
If all the PMs have Bolters and all the Khorne ones have Bolt Pistol/CCW, anyone who confuses them is either new or shouldn't be playing.