PDA

View Full Version : Tervigon/T-fex/Tyrant....have they flopped like a jelly on a wet matress??

Aeron
14-03-2012, 08:35
Oh Hi, I didnt see you there....you caught me pondering the success of the new Tyranids releases....

Before I buy a kit (especially large kits, a la valkyrie etc.) I like to read some reviews on them and check out some unboxing/building videos on them. I havent seen much about these new kits - sure there are half a dozen vids on youtube and i've read one or two reviews but not alot of buzz...

When I compare it to the Trygon release which was talked about for ages. Still I suppose the 'nids were hot stuff back then and not only have been out quite a while now but have left alot of people jaded in the meantime. :shifty:

I also realise that many people will have converted their Tervigons so are unlikely/unwilling to go out and replace it for a similar looking model just twice the size (assuming they used a carnifex as the base for their conversion like myself).

The Tyrannofex seems to be just unpopular for all sorts of reasons - people simply dont use him regularly enough to warrent a purchase.

And the Hive tyrant is probably the best "new" purchase as it covers many weapon options and is almost essential for most 'nids generals AND the flyrant is just stunning (even tho I dont think my usual army would work well with him I migth just pick on up to use the flyrant model.) Btw can you change the weapons of this guy as he looks like he's leaning to one side slightly and more suited to have a gun:confused:

The trouble with the tyrant is he's been through so many incarnations Metal.Finecast.Plastic is a short space of time and represents a specific role unlike human character models who can be veterans sargents/platoon officers or Company commanders. Even Carifexs etc could, with a bit of persuasion and a larger base be used to represent other nid monsters etc.

The title is a bit misleading because I dont believe anything is a flop in reality as most things will be a success over time, but I read several comments on here about people going into stores to find stacks of unsold Tervigon/Tyrannofex boxes and a lack of hype surronding them.

Who knows maybe GW will take heed and take slighty (massively) less time in launching a second wave in the future.:angel:

Anyway, tell what do you think and your experiece??

Cheers :)

Nate.

TheCaptain
14-03-2012, 08:56
I will be honest, I would have bought them 18 months ago.... and I will probably purchase them when the next tyranid codex is relaesed. Hopefully by then, the hive tyrant box will come with EVERY option......

silverstu
14-03-2012, 09:10
I think you have outlined the problems- a lot of people will have converted their tervigon/tyrannofex or used proxies and most 'Nid players will have a tyrant or two- so hence the "perceived" lack of a rush/hype around the release. I haven't noticed too many popping up in PLOGs . That said -the kits are very, very nice- I wasn't sold on the idea of the tervigon or the T-fex until I saw the new kits and the flyrant looks, as you say, really great. Also I was ordering a Tervi kit from maelstrom- they had 8 kits in stock -2 days later they where all out so they are selling. So I recon they will sell, and sell well but over time- there maybe isn't quite the rush to get them immediately as Nid fans will get by with their proxies/conversions in the meantime. I know I have just ordered the tervi kit, I will get the tyrant kit - but I have two tyrants already so that's less of a priority, and then probably another 2 tervi kits over time- so they will get the sales off me, but spread out a bit.

xxRavenxx
14-03-2012, 09:16
I think locally, every nid player that is a regular in store has grabbed 2-3 of the new kits, in some mix.

One guy I've never seen before came in on release day and said:

"Good sir, do you perchance have the new tervigon?"

"Why yes" I replied.

"Then I shall take two good shopkeep, along with all your gaunts, your finecast tyrant, a plastic tyrant a carnifex and a trigon."

"WOOOOOOOOOOOOH!" I said. Calmly... :shifty:

Language may differ in reality... maybe. Anyway. My point is this: Directly selling those kits is one half of the battle. I think GW probably sold plenty enough for it to be a success. But also think of the sales a second wave (With suitable time delay) might create when someone goes "oh my god! Tervigons! Time to do a new army."

angelofrage
14-03-2012, 09:31
While you mention existing tyranid players already having them, I'm a new tyranid player hooked by the new kits. I'm also aware that I'm not the only person starting tyranids due to the new plastic kits. I picked up a tyrant/swarmlord on the release day and have bought and painted some termagants, broodlord and lictor. I'm waiting on some more termagants, a trygon and genestealers to arrive and then on pay day I'll be buying another trygon and 2 tervigons.

My only complaint is a wish they'd release a plastic tyrant/hive guard kit...

silverstu
14-03-2012, 09:55
Yeah- if you just look at this forum- there are a lot more new threads about tyrannids being started and I also noticed more activity on the Nid tactics thread. The release probably has gotten more players starting and has re awoken existing Nid fans interest in their army.
It would be interesting to hear from the online retailers as to how the kits are selling- I suspect they may be doing quite well after all. Nice to hear that they are doing well with you xxRavenxx- Nids are an excellent range model wise and I'd like to think as a faction they can thrive[securing us more new models in the future :evilgrin:]

ihavetoomuchminis
14-03-2012, 10:40
One of the reasons this kits sell less than they could is....GREY KNIGHTS CODEX.

Cheeslord
14-03-2012, 11:36
One of the reasons this kits sell less than they could is....GREY KNIGHTS CODEX.

Quoted for truth. I don't doubt that the new kits will be of good quality (presumably they are plastic not "fine"cast, being kits), but when the rules are designed to make them die in 1 hit to a basic troops choice from another codex you've got to wonder...

Mark.

Megad00mer
14-03-2012, 13:04
Personally, I love the new models and ran out release day to pick up a Terv/T-fex and Hive Tyrant kit. I plan on getting two more Terv/T-fexes as well. Both of my FLGS have consistently been selling out these models each shipment as well. My area could be an exception to the rule however.

If the kits aren't selling well overall, it's due to a couple of reasons.

a) The overall low opinion of 5th edition Tyranids right now. Many Nid players have shelved their armies. Those who may have wanted to start a new Tyranid army are probably waiting for 6th or a new Codex at this point.

b) These are models that most Tyranid players converted a while ago, the Tervigon especially, so people may be reluctant to drop $60 to replace a model they already feel they have. (though, with regards to the Tervigon being twice the size of a Carnifex, most converted Tervigons won't be suitable anymore)

Sythica
14-03-2012, 13:26
I already bought one of each of the new kits, and once I have them painted up, I'll buy another one of each.

The new release was certainly not a flop for me. I just wish the release included spore pods, although then I really would have broken my bank card.

LonelyPath
14-03-2012, 13:52
These kits are lovely and whilst I have not bought any myself since my Nids have been shelved for the time being, I will be picking up a few when it comes time for my Hive Fleet to start ravaging worlds again. The shelving is not due to the current codex though, in fact all of my 40k has been shelved until more of the local gamers resurface, as the game is at a low in my area at present, but will likely pick up again in the Summer like it normally does. Whilst waiting for that I am concentrating on other games like Microarmour, Malifaux and Warmachine.

Like I said though, I will be picking up several of these kits when I need to though ;)

loveless
14-03-2012, 14:06
Stopped at a couple of stores last weekend. One had 2 Tervigon boxes and 1 Hive Tyrant box left. The other store was completely sold out of the new Tyranid stuff (plenty of Space Wolf stuff, though). Given how overstocked that particular store usually is, I was surprised by the lack of big bugs (additionally, they were out of Trygons, too - the only "big" Nid boxes left were 2 Carnifex boxes).

Ventus
14-03-2012, 14:17
In my area another nid player has bought up some kits for at least 1 or 2 T-fex and 1 tervigon (and will probably buy more). Another player has decided to start nids because of the new kits. From what I have heard (haven't seen them yet) the kits are good. As a nid player, I don't plan to buy the kits at this time for a few reasons:

1. I don't play tervigons (don't like the concept and how it was executed) so I wont buy this model. If GW errata the army or a new codex comes out that corrects some of the wrongs, IMO, on how this idea was implemented I would consider running tervigons. From the point of view of the kit the model looks good IMO for a tervigon and needs to be that big.

2. I rarely use T-fexes as I found them underwhelming for their points.

3. The tyrant/swarmlord kit interests me but I already have 2 metal tyrants (one which can be used as a swarmlord (with paulson games swords)). The flyrant version is what I find appealing but I am concerned about 2 things for this new kit. It looks like the kit does not come with the devourer/deathspitter sprue or have been designed to include them even though the devourer is one of the most common builds for this creature because of the other poor choices (nature of how the weapons were adjusted this dex). The other concern is that it appears that if I wanted to make a legal build flyrant of devourer and lashwhip/bonesword that one of the biomorphs will have to go into the leg slots but these were not rounded in the new kit. So from the get-go I have to convert/alter the model for a legal build - I know most don't care but for me (even though it is easy to do) it is annoying for a brand new kit.

4. One of the biggest things keeping me from buying anything new for nids at this time (and I expect many others feel the same) is that 6th is supposed to be a few months away. The new rules may fix some of the nids problems but may create a pile of new ones. Will GW release a big errata to bring the dex properly in line with 6th edition and also fix many of the problems with the dex - especially as it seems likely a new nid dex will still be years away? I'm not sure. GW has shown they cannot be trusted. Look how long our FAQ/errata took after the dex was released and I'm sure no one expected additional nerfs (eg tyranid prime cannot go in a pod with warriors, etc) done for no good reason. So I believe that many nid players may be sitting on the sidelines, like me, awaiting what 6th edition does to nids.

ASSASSINAWOKEN
14-03-2012, 14:21
The Tervigon model is a must for me. I proxy them with Carnifexes as I never could justify purchasing multiple kits to make one model.

The Swarmlord option is prefect. The Tyrant variant is bugging me, because it does not have a second set of scything talons. The flying Tyrant option has to give up the upper arm joints for the wings. I guess when building the model the GW way the legs become scything talons.

In the long run I don't think anyone has a magnetized wing option out there, wins may be to heavy even with plastic.

ChrisMurray
14-03-2012, 15:37
I am not a nid player but I must admit that I was very, very tempted by the new models to start up nids. What stopped me? Well I've not finished painting my Astral Claws yet and I'm very much waiting to see what Chaos brings if they get a new codex. I would imagine that the new models helped bring a lot of new players to the nids and a few out of hibernation.

The Marshel
14-03-2012, 15:52
The flying Tyrant option has to give up the upper arm joints for the wings. I guess when building the model the GW way the legs become scything talons.

i dislike the gw version of the flyrant and instead assembled my winged tyrant to be on foot rather then leaping. Personally I intend to count the wings as scything talons if i ever use him in battle, mainly as if he does get used in battle it'll prob be with some shrikes, who will also have their wings "count as" scything talons. I'm not a nid player, but ever since seeing a few conversions i've thought the wings spread grounded hive tyrant was one of the best looking things in 40k and gw have now release a kit which made it very easy to make.

Nicho
14-03-2012, 15:53
Loving the new tervi/tfex kit. Its the first kit ive magnatised so i can make it up as a tervi or tfex with what guns i feel like using :-)

Chem-Dog
14-03-2012, 17:37
"Then I shall take two good shopkeep, along with all your gaunts, your finecast tyrant, a plastic tyrant a carnifex and a trigon."

Gadzooks! :D

The Tyranid kits have had about zero percent impact on me, because neither I or any of my regular opponents collect 'Nids. There's one chap at our club who does use Nids but he's still a beginner and despite having a colossal (grey) army he's still getting to grips with using his army.

The kits look nice though, personally, I would have liked the Tervigon to have more of a working aperture (not sounding at all pervy there :shifty: ), having the Termagants rip their way out of a creature designed specifically to birth them seems a wee bit lazy. But that's an aesthetic foible of mine I suppose.

Obake123
14-03-2012, 18:01
My Tyranids were more or less abandoned, but I saw and loved the Tyrant. I'm just finishing painting it and love it enough that I might think about getting a Trygon or Tervigon as well.

Yes the Codex is garbage, yes the line hasn't been treated very well, the models are still incredible and if you're an ok player then they can be great fun on the tabletop as well.

Bonzai
14-03-2012, 19:05
The new releases have re-knewed my interest in playing my Nids again. I bought a pair of the tervigon/tyrannofex kits, and am now sporting two tyrannofexes and tervigons in my current list.

It may not be the strongest release ever, but it won't be a flop by any means.

Angelwing
14-03-2012, 19:10
Not a flop for me. I've ordered 2 tyrant kits and 4 terigon/tfex kits. Now all I have to do is find my magnets!

PoeGhost
14-03-2012, 20:32
The kits look nice though, personally, I would have liked the Tervigon to have more of a working aperture (not sounding at all pervy there :shifty: ), having the Termagants rip their way out of a creature designed specifically to birth them seems a wee bit lazy. But that's an aesthetic foible of mine I suppose.

That's how I thought they would look as well until I saw the model and thought about it a little. As I understand it, all Tyranid troops are disposable and recyclable since, after taking over a planet, they are reabsorbed by the fleet along with the rest of the biomass on the planet. So the Tervigons only really need to be used once, who cares if the 'gaunts tear their way out.

Balerion
14-03-2012, 20:48
That's how I thought they would look as well until I saw the model and thought about it a little. As I understand it, all Tyranid troops are disposable and recyclable since, after taking over a planet, they are reabsorbed by the fleet along with the rest of the biomass on the planet. So the Tervigons only really need to be used once, who cares if the 'gaunts tear their way out.
This is a good point.

Although, the more complex a creature is, the more resources have to be expended to build a new one, so certain Tyranid forms probably aren't considered disposable.

However, at the same time, the bigger/more complex a creature is, the more resources are necessary to keep it alive and transport it, should the Hive Mind choose not to break it down and recreate it at a later time. So perhaps it is more economical to use disposable Tervigons.

Captain Collius
14-03-2012, 20:58
i love the new models and i know two people renewed their interest in nids on the release date at our local store so we'll see but i think if 6th edition is nice to them nids could make a big comeback

Draconis
14-03-2012, 21:09
While not a fan of the dex, I'm a huge fan of Nids and their style. i love my horde army and my hybrid army. The new models are amazing and so easy to put together. I bought 2 of each as I have a metal tyrant, I wanted a flyrant and a swarm lord. I also wanted 1 of each tervigon and tyrannofex. I use the fex as gun bait, bragging how awesome a 2+ save, double shot s10 weapon is and then watching them try to kill it. But if I ever play seriously, I'd drop him from the list.

One thing Ive never understood is the people who say the Tervigon doesn't fit the fluff, or the style, or the execution. I would love to know why. Whats easier, making more nids in space and dropping them down using precious bio-mass or making a big bug who can support and create them on the fly? The Tervigon can also be compared to a transport for the nids, albeit only for Gants with a virtually unlimited squad inside. Myself, I believe it makes more sense to make new nids on the surface using whatever biomass they can acquire on the spot than to make it anywhere else. I personally love the fluff of the Gon.

Archibald_TK
14-03-2012, 21:47
They also sold very well here. If I were to compare I'd say that on average the amount of boxes each SW player bought was relatively small, while the amount of boxes each Tyranid players bought was quite high, but on the opposite there were a lot more different SW players than they were Tyranids ones. Basically, less Tyranids customers but each spent more individually. Assuming we are not an exception, then it would explain why there isn't so many post release coverage of the models while at the same time the release may still end up being a success.

Historically we always had a strong local Tyranid following, but alas as of today I don't see a lot of Space Six-Legged Dinosaurs players still active. As food for thought, in 2011, if we disregard GK and Necrons, out of all of the old Codexes the Tyranid is the one we sold the most. But despite of that, it had no impact on Nids sales of models as they stayed very low the whole year. Make of that what you want.

Ventus
14-03-2012, 21:56
Draconis, for me I look at the tervigon as GWs way of addressing the removal of the 'without number' rule. I would have preferred that they give the nid player the option of a digestion pool or something like that so that gaunts (or whatever is allowed) can be spawned in game under certain restrictions.

The execution of the tervigon concept is what annoys me more. Last edition spinegaunts were the standard meatshield (which many of us had piles of) and in the 5th dex rather than price the termagant and spinegaunt the same since neither weapon is really better than the other GW made the spiegaunt 1 point more and only allowed tervigons to spawn termagants. Sure GW wants to sell models but that is pretty blatant to either force people to rip off the arms off of a multitude of spinegaunts to glue on fleshborers or buy a bunch of gaunt boxes. There is no reason that spinegaunts should not be able to be spawned (regardless if you think they should be 1 point more than termagants - than it should have been a slight point increase to spawn them instead). It simply said screw you to nid players. And why cant the tervigon spawn hormagaunts? No reason - just laziness on GWs part.

Another problem for me with the tervigon is that its psychic powers should have been on the hive tyrant (Hive tyrants embody the Hive Mind completely - etc, etc). A tyrant gets 12" synapse yet a tervigon can get 18". Don't powers like onslaught and catalyst seem like they should be on the leader beast that is using the will of the Hive Mind to force the swarm forward, etc. Two of the tyrants psychic powers are almost never used for obvious reasons.

So that hopefully answers your question as to why I don't care for the tervigon. Others will have their own views and I understand why people use them as they are one of the best units in the book.

Draconis
14-03-2012, 22:49
Well, you can't blame the Tervigon for GW's greed. Believe me, I agree. But I'm also referring to the fluff. While I'd rather have without number, I have to work with what I got. As for the psyker powers, I can see all of those on the Tervigon, technically on all psyker nids to be exact. And why would you want to give that to the Tyrant? You'd be "shooting" one of your own units, unable to charge or shoot another unit. Personally, leave those on the Gon and give the Tyrant an auto 18" synapse like the Swarmlord to represent their role. And take away the downsides of synapse for godsakes.

Ventus
14-03-2012, 23:02
I agree with you. But I think GW should have made some of the psychic powers work differently so that you could target a friendly with a buff power that would not effect shooting/assaulting other units.

All Cing Eye
14-03-2012, 23:08
While I don't think they will be a flop, they should have been released months ago when the tyranid codex came out. This has been an ongoing issue with GW. They create new units that will for sure be in demand, and then don't release a model for it for ages. It's a bizarre business plan. When a new unit is added to a codex it should be in the first wave of models to maximize sales.

Ventus
14-03-2012, 23:37
I agree with you too All Cing Eye, however, I think part of the problem for not releasing everything at the release was that Cruddace and team tripled the number of units in the dex. That does not excuse the 2+ year wait in any way for the tervigon/T-fex.

If I recall correctly nids had all the models in the 4th edition dex but were missing biomorphs like tyrant wings. I think the problem was GW going crazy adding new models to excess even when previous units could have filled the role (adding T-fex and nerfing carnifex when the carnifex could have fulfilled the long range shooty HS choice; adding hive guard for light anti-vehicle when the warrior with a slightly modified 4th edition venom cannon could easily have fulfilled this role (and not over loaded the elite slots). It was interesting adding units like the venomthrope, harpy, mycetic spore pod, trygon/mawloc, tyranid prime, pyrovore, etc (rules problems aside).

That said, I do think that GW should have realized quickly which units in the dex would be important for most nid players and released them in a second wave soon after the dex dropped as they did with other armies. It makes no business sense to me either when you think how useful/important the tervigon is in the new dex.

Thrax
15-03-2012, 06:23
I already converted a tervigon and tyrannofex with rupture cannon and I like both and really don't need more in my army. But the new model is so...so...HUGE! So, yeah, I'm guilty; I bought one anyway! Just not sure what to make it into now. My usual gaming group is pretty reasonable with the occasional "altered unit" as long as the points seem right. Any ideas? I'm leaning toward some kinda close combat Tyrannofex but as it stands it pretty much sucks in melee.

DietDolphin
15-03-2012, 07:37
I already converted a tervigon and tyrannofex with rupture cannon and I like both and really don't need more in my army. But the new model is so...so...HUGE! So, yeah, I'm guilty; I bought one anyway! Just not sure what to make it into now. My usual gaming group is pretty reasonable with the occasional "altered unit" as long as the points seem right. Any ideas? I'm leaning toward some kinda close combat Tyrannofex but as it stands it pretty much sucks in melee.

Make it a Ripper swarm Tervigon equivalent. IE, it spawns D6 or something swarms a turn but can't if you roll a 1. Other than that just make it a Tervigon but replace the word 'Termagent' with "Ripper Swarm". That or the exact same thing but Hormagaunts (though I think a ripper swarm breeder would be more interesting).

EDIT: 'Rippergon' and 'Swarmigon' sound awesome too ;)

Beppo1234
15-03-2012, 08:27
Make it a Ripper swarm Tervigon equivalent. IE, it spawns D6 or something swarms a turn but can't if you roll a 1. Other than that just make it a Tervigon but replace the word 'Termagent' with "Ripper Swarm". That or the exact same thing but Hormagaunts (though I think a ripper swarm breeder would be more interesting).

EDIT: 'Rippergon' and 'Swarmigon' sound awesome too ;)

that could be an easy fix in a new codex, whenever it may come... different cost tervi for different output.

snake-eyez
15-03-2012, 09:27
They are good kits, and they will eventually sell a high number in total for GW.

I think right now the codex is the main reason why the sales aren't huge, but with a new codex, sales for both these kits will surely shoot up. You may not see heaps of these come from no where like with other models that have come out with new codices (necrons, GK, DE), but I'm sure GW will get a good return on their investment in these kits, and it may boost sales of other tyranid models too (like termagants) from renewed interest.

BrotherCaptainS
16-03-2012, 05:56
the tervi kit is awesome. I have another on the way to do a tfex.

MajorWesJanson
16-03-2012, 06:27
At my FLGS, I know one person picked up 5 kits of TWolves, and at least 6-7 of the TFex and Tyrant Kits disappeared between the day they arrived and the following week.

ChrisMurray
16-03-2012, 12:18
I think that this release is a success, despite the people on the internet that say that they are shelving\have shelved their nids due to the codex, this is only a small portion of the gaming\GW comunity and there is most likely a lot of people out there who still really enjoy playing nids and are purchasing these kits.

sycopat
16-03-2012, 13:25
I have a Tervi kit incoming and plan on at least one more and a tyrant kit. The only thing holding me back from getting more is cost, as I'm also trying to get together funds for 6th ed. and the new chaos.

I can't imagine they sell super well here because 'nids never seemed to be super popular in my area, but I know the consensus seems to be that the kits are quite nice so I'd say they're doing okay.

Vepr
16-03-2012, 14:13
I might invest in a kit if 6th really helps nids but I am guessing I will not be buying anything until they get a new codex. I like them but the models are only part of the game for me and the issues with the codex have soured me to buying anything else to do with the army at the moment.

Snorky_the_goblin
17-03-2012, 17:46
Please bear with me now fellow seers but in my opinion the kit(s) are sort of horrific.
Now why is that?
Well the reasoning is that they could at least have followed the concept design a bit closer so peoples conversions would be more accepted.
Second is that having at least some knowledge of the anatomy of insects the thing better have a chunky isoskeleton because the exo one would most likely crush the bestie otherwise. Even though the thing is Sci-Fi the fact that the shape off any eventual spine would mean that the actual legs(back pair) would only be for pushing the thing forward and the arms would have to bear the entire weight. I know that the Carni suffers from pretty much the same problem in theory, the thing is not S shaped and has a more substaintial waist means it's actually belivable.
The whole problem stems from the fact that GW never really desided wether to go bug or beast with the Tyranids.

You can actually make them really nice if you go all buglike wen you know what you are doing, I suggest that you study some of the anatomy of Crabbs if you need ideas.
Wen I get time to put my "Nids" up on the plogs I'll show you what I think could be done with some scratchbuilt and/or alterd MC's and Carneficies.

Sorry for the off the (Fly)rant, and as I wrote MY Intergalagtic Cocroaches from hell shall soon be on a forum near you muahaha!

Draconis
17-03-2012, 21:14
I'm just going to leave these here so people will stop saying the new nids don't fit the "style".... the tyrannofex and tervigon are mini-titans. They are heavier than the carnifex but smaller than bio-titans. Hence why they look like the large bio-titan. It's a brilliant design on GW's part.
135638 135639 135640 135641

stroller
17-03-2012, 22:19
Tervigon/T-fex/Tyrant....have they flopped like a jelly on a wet matress??

That would be a "no" then.

The Marshel
18-03-2012, 11:29
I'm just going to leave these here so people will stop saying the new nids don't fit the "style".... the tyrannofex and tervigon are mini-titans. They are heavier than the carnifex but smaller than bio-titans. Hence why they look like the large bio-titan. It's a brilliant design on GW's part.

funny thing is, my very initial thought was "wtf is with that body shape", followed by "oh hang on, biotitan" I think its rather cool, seems to imply that the bigger nids get the more they move to that more slender s shape

The whole problem stems from the fact that GW never really desided wether to go bug or beast with the Tyranids.

Why can't they be both though? Tyranids are the most alien thing in 40k after all. I don't really mind them not following the normal conventions for bugs and the likes and especially don't mind them being as foreign to any realworld examples as possible. The game needs something ecessivly sci fi to ballance out the space elves and space orcs

Disturbed Frog
18-03-2012, 11:39
I bought 4 tervigon/ tfex kits and 1 tyrant kit on release day and I wasn't alone so as far as my local gws they have not flopped.

@snorky_the_goblin the nids are both bug and beast/ reptile. If they were just insect they would be boring.

Athenys
18-03-2012, 11:47

I know what you mean, but honestly...GW did a very bad job there! There are so many differences between the Hierophant and the Tyrannofex, that converting the T-fex, that it looks like the Hiero requires a lot of work (believe me, as I'm on it)!

The legs of the Fex are unpropportional and "in a wrong pose". The head is too big, the exhaust to long...

I see it as a nice and sort of...cheaper basis for conversions, but not as a good kit as such, BECAUSE it is a copy of the Hierophant...and a bad one too...

bringerofdecay
18-03-2012, 11:51
I bought 3 tervigon/tyrannofex kits on release and I'll be buying 2 tyrants in the next month or so, I'm not a gamer who needs instant gratification and am willing to wait/convert until such a time as the 'official' model is released. I'd rather have lots of options then few options all with models available. Been playing nids since third edition toon;)

Obake123
18-03-2012, 11:52
Errrmmm...

I don't think that GW were intending the T-fex to be used as a bio-titan. Just to follow a similar design ethos and shape. Why should the T fex look identical to a bio-titan? A gaunt doesn't look the same as a Tyrant. It has similariteis of exo-skeleton and carapace, the same number of limbs and so on, to tie the line together, but you wouldn't try to convert a gaunt into a Tyrant, would you?

Back on topis, I don't think that the new releases has or will flow. People like quality and the new releases are certainly that.

bringerofdecay
18-03-2012, 12:12
Errrmmm...

I don't think that GW were intending the T-fex to be used as a bio-titan. Just to follow a similar design ethos and shape. Why should the T fex look identical to a bio-titan? A gaunt doesn't look the same as a Tyrant. It has similariteis of exo-skeleton and carapace, the same number of limbs and so on, to tie the line together, but you wouldn't try to convert a gaunt into a Tyrant, would you?

Back on topis, I don't think that the new releases has or will flow. People like quality and the new releases are certainly that.

Exactly, they follow a similar design ethos; 6 limbs, 5 armoured plates on the head and a tail but after this the designers are free to work this in to whatever style of creature they want to which fits perfectly with the fluff as tyranids, much like kroot, absorb various traits of those races that they consum.

Draconis
18-03-2012, 14:21
The Hive Mind creates us all in whatever image it suits best.

Snorky_the_goblin
19-03-2012, 13:38
The point that I was trying to get trough is that in my mind the things are ugly as sod.
BUT that does not mean that you cannot like them, all I did was an objective analysis and comparison.

As I said many of thease creatures would have some serius issues in reality but this is Sci-Fi, I'll show at a later date what my view of the Nids is.
Untill then please continue complaining/praising about GW as I wont care...

de Selby
19-03-2012, 14:27
Hard to answer the OP. I will be buying a flyrant and tervigon (I never built my own and waited patiently for the plastic models, which are better than anything I could come up with). I like the mini-bio-titan design and might even add a tyrannofex at some point.

Draconis
19-03-2012, 16:06
I have a T-fex and I'm still struggling to make him worth his costs lol. Two games with him now, only 3 hits out of them both. Combined.

Grocklock
20-03-2012, 12:12
I have seen a large increase of tyanids, which is really good, because i like seeing things other then marine boxes on the field.
As far as sales my friend runs a GW in London, and he said sales where better on the release day of the nid stuff then on the release of DE

Grimtuff
20-03-2012, 23:40
Please bear with me now fellow seers but in my opinion the kit(s) are sort of horrific.
Now why is that?
Well the reasoning is that they could at least have followed the concept design a bit closer so peoples conversions would be more accepted.
Second is that having at least some knowledge of the anatomy of insects the thing better have a chunky isoskeleton because the exo one would most likely crush the bestie otherwise. Even though the thing is Sci-Fi the fact that the shape off any eventual spine would mean that the actual legs(back pair) would only be for pushing the thing forward and the arms would have to bear the entire weight. I know that the Carni suffers from pretty much the same problem in theory, the thing is not S shaped and has a more substaintial waist means it's actually belivable.

Erm, not wanting to stick up for the Tyrannofex kit too much, as frankly it should've stuck to the artwork a bit more IMO, but straight from the horse's mouth so to speak (Jes Goodwin) Tyranids (all of them) are more akin to Dinosaurs than anything else. They are only referred to as "bugs" (both in-universe and IRL) due to having 6 limbs.

It's all in the designer's notes for the 4th ed Nid codex which appears in the White Dwarf they came out IIRC. Maybe someone can dig up a copy and get the quote properly.

Draconis
21-03-2012, 03:00
It's like HR Gigers Aliens. You'd assume insectoid, however, in the one movie they say they are serpents....

Balerion
21-03-2012, 05:02
Erm, not wanting to stick up for the Tyrannofex kit too much, as frankly it should've stuck to the artwork a bit more IMO, but straight from the horse's mouth so to speak (Jes Goodwin) Tyranids (all of them) are more akin to Dinosaurs than anything else. They are only referred to as "bugs" (both in-universe and IRL) due to having 6 limbs.

It's all in the designer's notes for the 4th ed Nid codex which appears in the White Dwarf they came out IIRC. Maybe someone can dig up a copy and get the quote properly.
I kind of like this outlook, because it brings them a little closer to being "Lizardmen... IN SPACE!" and I'm in the (probable) minority who enjoys a more or less 1:1 crossover between the races in the two main GW properties. The Tomb Crons pleased me greatly, and a Hrud release would send me over the moon.

The Marshel
21-03-2012, 06:52
Tyranids (all of them) are more akin to Dinosaurs than anything else.

yeah i can see that easy actually. half way through building the tervigon and he looked quite bird like, which fits the dinosaur base.

wyvirn
21-03-2012, 13:24
My biggest qualm with the models is the hind legs. I think the hooves are out of place and the legs are too elongated. I would much rather had the tick that walks with six scything talons you see in the background artwork.

Madfool2
21-03-2012, 14:09
They really haven't flopped, so many have been brought! So no, no they haven't.

Negativity-0 Buying mini's because they look cool-2

Good score that.