PDA

View Full Version : Steam Punk Napoleonic Imperial Guard.

Valkraye
14-03-2012, 09:44
Hey everyone and welcome to what is the first post in what is going to be a (sadly) very long, very drawn out log. At the end of this process, however, I intend to have a 2000 point Imperial Guard force. But not just any force - a fully converted mash-up of Steam punk, Napoleonics and the 41st Millennia.

This is an idea I have been toying with for some time, a very long time, and watching and reading the Sharpe series (again), more hours than I can count looking at source material and a determination to not have a "run-of-the-mill" Guard army has been a driving force behind the idea. The idea has had its up and downs and lulls and highs, going almost forgotten for a few months whilst I took time to rework my Ork army. But now I feel like it is time to finally really begin this project.

So, I ask you, the brilliant community of Warseer to help me achieve this goal.

I have some ideas for what to convert, what to buy and how to go about putting this mash up together, but it is only a rough idea. I implore anyone willing to pay attention and bear with me for their expertise, their judgements and their criticism when the time comes for models to get built and painted. I especially need sources for some items and ideas on how to convert others.

Cheers for reading,
Phill.

EDIT:

Please have a look at the latest post, it goes a long way to disregarding some of the information and ideas I have compiled in regards to the standard infantry Guardsmen in some of my preliminary posts, though other people's suggestions are definitely being taken on board, and their ideas are well worth reading.

cornonthecob
14-03-2012, 09:55
I would say go for it.

Valkraye
14-03-2012, 10:15
Lists of Components:
Imperial Guardsmen

Torsos:

I was thinking of using these fantastic torsos, they fit the period and the look I am going for and won't require conversion work, or not much if there is any needed.

(http://www.victorialamb.com/store.html)

Legs:
Standard Cadian legs with a slight conversion to add gaiters, as seen here:

Tutorial can be found here (http://www.freewebs.com/nedius/tailcoatlegstutorial.htm). This is not my work by any means, and I hope I might be able to one day emulate the conversions posted on the blog, but it was one of the conversions/logs that really drove my early obsession and love of this concept.

Heads:

I decided back when I first decided on this course of action, that for the army, that standard Imperial Guard helmets just wouldn't look right. I think I might replace the heads of most of the infantry with heads from various Empire sprues and box sets, for example:

Alternate Imperial Guard Infantry - Highland troops

I was thinking of having a platoon of "Highland" infantry. My initial idea was to replace the standard Cadian legs with the fantastic looking Highland legs made by Victoria Lamb, using them for both the attached heavy weapons teams as well.

My dilemma, however, is I want to use at least one major Games Workshop component (legs or torso) so that I might be able to play the army in store. My question here is, how might I use the legs and not use the bodies? Or do I go all in and use the legs and bodies, but keep this platoon to a minimum?

Weapons

I have been looking at ways to 'Steampunk' the humble Lasgun, but haven't come up with any concrete ideas and haven't found any pre-existing ideas that really appeal to me. Can anyone suggest some examples of previous work that I might be able to bastardise?

For the grenade launcher I was thinking of having a 'hand cannon' looking weapon, something like the top two below.

For flamers I was thinking replacing the standard Guard promethium tanks with something that would resemble the really old iconic scuba suit helmet. A very out-there comparison but I can't think of a better example. The weapon itself would be another very old looking weapon, perhaps an elongated blunderbuss type weapon...

I'll cover heavy weapons teams later on in another post.

Valkraye
14-03-2012, 10:19
I would say go for it.

Thank you, and thanks for the picture. I was thinking more of a British theme, but that pistol has me thinking about plasma weapons conversions.

Steam_Giant
14-03-2012, 10:30
interesting idea. If you like that picture, check out the rest of the 'Dystopian Wars' artwork (Spartan games), Its excellent.

Valkraye
14-03-2012, 12:20
Rough Riders

This is something I haven't given as much thought as I should have.

Initial idea was to have Empire Pistolier horses and legs, and add the same torsos as I was using for the infantry, though shaving down the leg armour to fit it with the rest of the army.
The heads would probably be entirely from the Pistolier box set because I do like the plume'd helmets, plus there is already a lot of 'Imperial' iconography.

Or, you know, 100% Victoria Lamb items. Man, does she come up a lot already in this log...

The problem is the hunting lances. Miss (Mrs?) Lamb does sell her lances separately to the rider legs, and I think it may be a cool idea.

I was, however, hoping for a more steampunk looking variety, perhaps adding an underslung weapon of sorts to an already existing spear/lance, or making my own from copper tubing.

Valkraye
14-03-2012, 12:20
Heavy Weapons

For the heavy weapons, I was thinking of really bringing the Steam punk element home.

Lascannons

Originally I was thinking that I wouldn't be getting any lascannons into the army back when I was thinking along the lines of pure Napoleonics given how radical they were and how difficult they would be to justify to myself, and then a genius employee at my local Workshop suggested something so simple yet so utterly perfect that blew my mind on the subject, and expanded the idea well and truly into the steam punk:

Warp.
Lightning.

His idea was to use Warp Lightning Cannons as the basis for Lascannons given their Steampunk look and feel.

I imagine that I'd remove almost the entire weapon carriage (too big for a heavy weapon team, though not for a basilisk stand-in artillery piece...) and would mount the cannon itself on some form of old spoke wheels. And there is another dilemma - where do I get authentic-looking, 28mm scale, oversized cog/spoke wheels? Or how do I make them? A real world example:

Could anyone point me in the direction of some appropriate manufactured models, or even a tutorial on how to build these? Or, if push comes to shove, could people help me come up with a method for making them?

The alternative, and the path that I think I would prefer to some degree given my love of them, would be to hunt down some of the older models.

Though, I plan to have some 10-20 lascannons in the army, so while either option is going to be damned hard to pull off, this one might be nigh on impossible.

Missile Launchers

Simply put, cannons. Probably just Empire cannons, with some steam punk elements added. The crew would get the 40K make over, with Imperial torsos and the such. For the cannons, basically:

This:

Meets these:

Auto Cannons

A relatively simple idea with difficult execution. I was thinking Puckle Guns.

Converting one would be difficult, but I think it would suit the army pretty well, especially with the addition of some warp-stone-esque details, or perhaps a steam-powered firing mechanism.

Heavy Bolters

Another simple idea, with a difficult execution. For Heavy Bolters, I was going to experiment with multiple barrel Gatling guns as this gives the impression of a lower calibre and higher rate of fire compared to the Auto-Puckle-Cannons.

Something like this, a fantastic piece of work by Col.Gravis from the Tauonline forums (here (http://forums.tauonline.org/showcase/34512-praetorian-imperial-guard.html)):

Col.Gravis
14-03-2012, 14:01
I'm liking your concepts alot ;)

One thing you could consider for the Highlanders to fit in some GW bits would be to make them Storm Troopers, or Veterans with Carapace Armour, mixing in torsos perhaps from the Outrider kit for the armour since your planning on using those heads, its not a traditional look for highlanders but would mark them out further an elites in the army perhaps?

Valkraye
14-03-2012, 14:11
I'm liking your concepts alot ;)

One thing you could consider for the Highlanders to fit in some GW bits would be to make them Storm Troopers, or Veterans with Carapace Armour, mixing in torsos perhaps from the Outrider kit for the armour since your planning on using those heads, its not a traditional look for highlanders but would mark them out further an elites in the army perhaps?

This idea, I like it. It is something I definitely will explore. Thank you very much, good sir.

And thank you for your fantastic conversions, truly a source of inspiration.

Anarnaxe
14-03-2012, 19:47
The grenade launcher, I would suggest using one of weapons from the Pistoliers/Outriders frame. I forget what the weapon is called, but it would be perfect.

zombiefish
14-03-2012, 22:40
This is a pretty cool idea and im intrested to see how it turns out. One way you could make napoleonic guard is converting mordians (a little green stuff on the torso to make the cross across the chest and the funny hat it might work?). Im also intrested in your take on tanks they should be good.
Thanks

Galvatron1701
14-03-2012, 23:07
There's a picture in the gallery on Dakka of a converted Napoleonic Redcoat which looks pretty good. I can't link to it unfortunately, but a Google image search shows it.

Valkraye
15-03-2012, 02:50
The grenade launcher, I would suggest using one of weapons from the Pistoliers/Outriders frame. I forget what the weapon is called, but it would be perfect.

Was this the weapon you were thinking of?

I like that idea. Simple and effective. Perhaps an arm swap, or a slight elongation of the weapon, make it a tad bulkier make it look more suited to infantry than cavalry... Ideas, ideas.

Cheers mate.

This is a pretty cool idea and im intrested to see how it turns out. One way you could make napoleonic guard is converting mordians (a little green stuff on the torso to make the cross across the chest and the funny hat it might work?). Im also intrested in your take on tanks they should be good.
Thanks

I did at one stage consider the Mordians, but I think that to locate in the realm of a hundred of them would be far to time consuming and expensive for me. Ms Lamb's models are readily available from one source. As for the tanks, I am attempting to draw up a half decent representation of my plan for them. I have described my idea to some people but my descriptions come off as madness. Bear with me and I should have some horribly drawn concept designs up by the end of the weekend.
And thank you.

There's a picture in the gallery on Dakka of a converted Napoleonic Redcoat which looks pretty good. I can't link to it unfortunately, but a Google image search shows it.

Are those Nedius' Napoleonic Guard? (found here (http://www.freewebs.com/nedius/torsotutorial.htm)) His work has been a pretty big inspiration, seeing how the conversions were an achievable thing, not just a crazy dream.

Brother Jones
16-03-2012, 15:53
if you do order from Victoria, can you tell me who will deliver the stuff to you? I've had a lot of problems with postal services other than the royal mail when it comes to overseas shipping.

Valkraye
17-03-2012, 11:27
if you do order from Victoria, can you tell me who will deliver the stuff to you? I've had a lot of problems with postal services other than the royal mail when it comes to overseas shipping.

This I can do. Though, I think your problems should ease if you are from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, apparently Ms Lamb relocated in recent months to London. She used to live in Australia, but no more, so I assume I'll be getting them via some generic courier service or Australia Post.

Galvatron1701
17-03-2012, 13:06
Are those Nedius' Napoleonic Guard? (found here (http://www.freewebs.com/nedius/torsotutorial.htm)) His work has been a pretty big inspiration, seeing how the conversions were an achievable thing, not just a crazy dream.

Those are yes, they are very good conversions!

What will you be doing for heavy weapons? I use Empire cannon carriages for my Praetorian Lascannons. I'd like to turn one into an Autocannon puckle gun similar to those seen on Empire Total War.

precinctomega
17-03-2012, 13:41
I StumbledUpon this today and thought of you:

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/images002/wDSC00024.jpg

R.

Galvatron1701
17-03-2012, 13:57
That's cool.

There are these as well:

http://www.ironcladminiatures.co.uk/shop/category_9/Steam-tanks.html?shop_param=cid%3D%26

StratManKudzu
17-03-2012, 15:14
Just to add, you had mentione Mordian Guard and the cost/difficulty of acquiring them, Mordians are still available direct from GW. But I really like your concept!

Tomxj
17-03-2012, 19:36
Those Dystopian Wars Pic remind me of the Kellerkind range (http://www.zinnfiguren-martin-hille.de/product_info.php?info=p27_teutonische-truppbox.html) You might want to check them out.

I've converted a couple of squads of Pyran Dragoons (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?263927-Steel-legion-goodbye-amp-farewell&p=6081546&viewfull=1#post6081546) from Perry Napoleonics, they came out quiet well.

Regards

Tom j

Valkraye
18-03-2012, 10:28
Those are yes, they are very good conversions!

What will you be doing for heavy weapons? I use Empire cannon carriages for my Praetorian Lascannons. I'd like to turn one into an Autocannon puckle gun similar to those seen on Empire Total War.

Indeed they are. I love the look of the models, I might even have a go at converting some stovepipe hats for some of the infantry based on Nedius' tutorial.

As for heavy weapons, I intend to make puckle guns for Autocannons, very early style gatling guns for heavy bolters, cannons for missile launchers and Skaven warp lighting cannons for lascannons. As for the carriages, I need to find something very similar to the Empire cannon carriage, or somewhere to get them en masse.

I StumbledUpon this today and thought of you:

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/images002/wDSC00024.jpg

R.

That is a fantastic conversion. Absolutely fantastic. Simple looking (I imagine not so simple to build) and very effective. Definitely something to consider.

That's cool.

There are these as well:

http://www.ironcladminiatures.co.uk/shop/category_9/Steam-tanks.html?shop_param=cid%3D%26

Also rather impressive looking models, and completely different to how I had them pictured. As for the pictures I promised, I'm going to have a go at drawing them on MS paint or some such program. My scanner decided cooperation was not what it wanted to do.

Just to add, you had mentione Mordian Guard and the cost/difficulty of acquiring them, Mordians are still available direct from GW. But I really like your concept!

Truly? I was under the impression that GW had stopped the production of things like Mordians, Praetorians and Valhallans. This might change things...

Those Dystopian Wars Pic remind me of the Kellerkind range (http://www.zinnfiguren-martin-hille.de/product_info.php?info=p27_teutonische-truppbox.html) You might want to check them out.

I've converted a couple of squads of Pyran Dragoons (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?263927-Steel-legion-goodbye-amp-farewell&p=6081546&viewfull=1#post6081546) from Perry Napoleonics, they came out quiet well.

Regards

Tom j

I love your conversions. Absolutely love them, and the models would look perfect, after a little steam-punking. How are they for scale? I know some of the Perry infantry suffers from being in true 28mm scale rather than Heroic scale, but I haven't ever seen any of their cavalry before, but they look very very close to 40K proportions.

Thanks everyone, I now have quite a bit of information to process.

Cheers,
Phill.

Valkraye
18-03-2012, 15:16
What I am about to unpload to this log may be considered crimes against humanity, an a front to every god, and the spark that caused World War III...

I present to you, dear Warseer, the worst concept design sketches known to mankind.

In an attempt to reconcile that madness with sense and reason, a colour code:

Light Brown: represents a wide flat-bed carriage
Dark Brown: represents large cog/spoked wheels
Grey: represents Imperial barriers (the terrain pieces)
Red: shows the very rough location of the main weapon, mounted on some form of brace
Yellow: shows the very rough location of the crew men
Green: represents a very steam-punk, very strange looking warp-stone-style engine.

Almost imagine a very, very basic, wooden steam train. This is the idea I came up with 4 am one morning in an epiphany that woke me, made me draw and then sent me right back to sleep.

Student
18-03-2012, 19:18
Cool idea. I like your concept sketch, it reminds me of the unit markers from the battle reports in old white dwarves. I look forward to seeing it made.

Brother Jones
18-03-2012, 21:45
I've ordered some stuff from Victoria miniatures, some gun arms and kilts for my guardsmen, I'll let you know what the stuff is like when I get it.

Galvatron1701
19-03-2012, 01:12
Her gun arms are very good quality, just be careful of the straps- the metal is soft and they bend very easily. Her heads can be a little tricky, I've got her pith heads and the quality of the cast was a bit poor- some detail was lost due to mold lines.

Yodhrin
19-03-2012, 10:54
If you've got the green, I heartily suggest picking up a few of the DKoK Weapons Packs from Forgeworld; you get a "hand-cannon" style grenade launcher, five lasguns that actually look like rifles rather than assault rifles, and a few other special weapons you could take or leave. If you bought a couple of them I doubt anyone could object to you casting a few extras for personal use(other than GW/FW ofc, but they don't need to know :p).

Galvatron1701
19-03-2012, 12:11
Yodhrin speaks the truth, the flamers and grenade launchers on those sprues are much better than the Cadian or Catachan sprues. I think though that the Vic Mini rifles would be better suited to you.

Shrapnel
19-03-2012, 13:55
I imagine that I'd remove almost the entire weapon carriage (too big for a heavy weapon team, though not for a basilisk stand-in artillery piece...) and would mount the cannon itself on some form of old spoke wheels. And there is another dilemma - where do I get authentic-looking, 28mm scale, oversized cog/spoke wheels? Or how do I make them? A real world example:

Could anyone point me in the direction of some appropriate manufactured models, or even a tutorial on how to build these? Or, if push comes to shove, could people help me come up with a method for making them?

There are places were you can buy rubber moulds to make your own metal napoleonic figures - you could get a cannon carriage set and make as many as you need. Here's one that I've gotten moulds from. (http://www.princeaugust.ie/) The quality isn't great and they're only 25mm scale, but with a bit of tweaking (and seeing as you'll be converting stuff anyway) it might do the trick?

Intrepid Adventurer
19-03-2012, 14:23
Awesome idea, but so much work... ;)

Valkraye
20-03-2012, 12:56
Cool idea. I like your concept sketch, it reminds me of the unit markers from the battle reports in old white dwarves. I look forward to seeing it made.

Haha, it does look a bit like those, doesn't it. And I am glad you like it. I just need to work out how I am going to do the sponsons. And how to build the wagon. And how to build the gun...

I've ordered some stuff from Victoria miniatures, some gun arms and kilts for my guardsmen, I'll let you know what the stuff is like when I get it.

That would be absolutely awesome, man. Thank you so very much in advance.

Her gun arms are very good quality, just be careful of the straps- the metal is soft and they bend very easily. Her heads can be a little tricky, I've got her pith heads and the quality of the cast was a bit poor- some detail was lost due to mold lines.

Thank you for the warning. Though, I think I'll have to ignore the pith helmets - I might have convinced myself to convert ~130 shakos. You know, because I am clearly insane.

If you've got the green, I heartily suggest picking up a few of the DKoK Weapons Packs from Forgeworld; you get a "hand-cannon" style grenade launcher, five lasguns that actually look like rifles rather than assault rifles, and a few other special weapons you could take or leave. If you bought a couple of them I doubt anyone could object to you casting a few extras for personal use(other than GW/FW ofc, but they don't need to know :p).

That isn't a bad idea at all. I'll ready be hitting up Forge World for DKoK Commander and Commisars (Commander and Junior officers respectively, or maybe even Commissars). Casting would be tricky... But those DKoK weapons ARE dead sexy.

Yodhrin speaks the truth, the flamers and grenade launchers on those sprues are much better than the Cadian or Catachan sprues. I think though that the Vic Mini rifles would be better suited to you.

Mmm... That he does and that they are. If I can get them separately, I think I might just have to grab a couple. I need to work out the list first, however. I might post a rough one relatively soon, actually.

There are places were you can buy rubber moulds to make your own metal napoleonic figures - you could get a cannon carriage set and make as many as you need. Here's one that I've gotten moulds from. (http://www.princeaugust.ie/) The quality isn't great and they're only 25mm scale, but with a bit of tweaking (and seeing as you'll be converting stuff anyway) it might do the trick?

It might indeed... I'll have to have a go at it me thinks, even if I don't end up doing it due to being really, really bad at actually doing it, it is too tempting to pass up entirely.

Awesome idea, but so much work... ;)

It will be a labour of love. By the end there will have been much blood, much cursing and many a sleepless night, but it'll be worth it. Not to mention the poor bank account. He is going to hate me really soon.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll follow this post with a very rough version of the army list. Very, very rough. Coarse-sand-in-the-eyes rough.

Valkraye
20-03-2012, 13:45
The Unamed Company From Some Place - 1750ish point list.

HQ

Company Command Squad
- Regimental Standard
- Vox-caster
Total = 70 points

Troops

Infantry Platoon 1

- Platoon Command Squad 1
- Platoon Standard
- Vox-Caster

- Infantry Squad 1.1
- Grenade Launcher
- Vox-caster

- Infantry Squad 1.2
- Grenade Launcher
- Vox-caster

- Infantry Squad 1.3
- Grenade Launcher
- Vox-caster

Total = 230 points

Infantry Platoon 2

- Platoon Command Squad 2
- Platoon Standard
- Vox-Caster

- Infantry Squad 2.1
- Grenade Launcher
- Vox-caster

- Infantry Squad 2.2
- Grenade Launcher
- Vox-caster

- Infantry Squad 2.3
- Grenade Launcher
- Vox-caster

- Heavy Weapons Squad 2.1
- Missile Launcher x 3

- Heavy Weapons Squad 2.2
- Missile Launcher x 3

- Heavy Weapons Squad 2.3
- Missile Launcher x 3

- Heavy Weapons Squad 2.4
- Lascannon x 3

- Heavy Weapons Squad 2.5
- Lascannon x 3

Total = 710

Infantry Platoon 3

- Platoon Command Squad 3
- Platoon Standard
- Vox-Caster

- Infantry Squad 3.1
- Grenade Launcher
- Vox-caster

- Infantry Squad 3.2
- Grenade Launcher
- Vox-caster

- Infantry Squad 3.3
- Grenade Launcher
- Vox-caster

- Heavy Weapons Squad 3.1
- Heavy Bolter x 3

- Heavy Weapons Squad 3.2
- Autocannon x 3

- Heavy Weapons Squad 3.3
- Autocannon x 3

Total = 455

Fast Attack

Rough Rider Squad 1
- 5 additional Rough Riders
- Mogul Kamir

Total = 145

Rough Rider Squad 2
- 5 additional Rough Riders

Total = 105

Which comes to what... 1715?

Which leaves me with enough to points to add in either 2 hellhounds or a Punisher.
I am thinking the Punisher and a couple other bells and whistles. Maybe another 10 Rough Riders.

As I said, this is very much an early draft. Already I am thinking less weapons, more infantry, even just to save me from having to converting a million weapons.

Valkraye
10-05-2012, 09:36
Greetings to anyone who may have been paying attention to this thread,

I have found my first hurdle (more of a wall, really) and need some help getting around it.

Basically, using parts that are not Games Workshop or scratch built/converted parts makes my army illegal in stores and at tournaments. This is very bad.
While I had suspected, it has recently been confirmed beyond a doubt.

So, out go all the beautiful Victoria Lamb parts I was going to use.
Which was most of my models.
A fact made even harder by the fact she just released a whole bunch more components.
Made even more difficult by the fact that she made KNEELING legs.
Perfect legs...

Mustn't think about it. That way lies madness.

Now I am facing the problem of locating Games Workshop equivalents to fill in for my standard troopers torsos and legs.

I was thinking that I would go with something like this:

The torso comes from the Empire Militia box set
The legs come from the Empire Militia box set
The arms and weapon come from the Empire Handgunners box set
The Human head comes from the Empire Militia box set
The skull comes from the Vampire Counts Dark Knight box set.
(All of the individual images are from the Bitz Box website, where the parts would be sourced from.)

The skull would be painted a bronze colour and would be worn by every single soldier, infantry or rough rider. The riders might get some sort of plume/front-to-back crest, as well.
The junior officers would wear similar whilst slightly more ornate masks/helmets, while the senior officer would wear this (minus the beard-ish bit):

The other option is to keep it more "human" with the bare heads and Empire-like hats.

The skulls are meant to reflect a much darker image than what I was going for, as well as bring the steam-punk aspect more in line with the 40K universe.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers for reading,

Phill

Shrapnel
15-05-2012, 12:59
Do GW still run tournaments? Stores can set their own rules, fair enough, but are there no independent tournaments running in your area? and i thought the rule was the models had to be at least 50% GW bits?

Galvatron1701
15-05-2012, 15:38
I do think it a shame that you're going to abandon your initial ideas. I think you need to work on the models that give you the most pleasure regardless of GW's stance.

Colonel Gordon
16-05-2012, 10:03
In interesting Position. I need more pics from the minis. Do ypu have an testmini ?

Valkraye
18-05-2012, 16:55
Do GW still run tournaments? Stores can set their own rules, fair enough, but are there no independent tournaments running in your area? and i thought the rule was the models had to be at least 50% GW bits?

Not aware of tournaments run specifically by the Workshop themselves anymore, but the last I attended was run by employees. And being in Australia, MOAB is one of the few we have going around, other than the non-invitational Lords of Terra.

As for the 50% thing, that is the assumption I was operating under, but apparently it is not the case.

I do think it a shame that you're going to abandon your initial ideas. I think you need to work on the models that give you the most pleasure regardless of GW's stance.

I am upset too, but it is an army I would like to play in stores. What I think I might do is compromise - use the Militia bodies and legs but also have that Highland company I wanted, regardless of these miniature composition rules. Oh, and all of the special and heavy weapons will remain the same.

I am however liking the idea of the skulls a lot for some reason.

In interesting Position. I need more pics from the minis. Do ypu have an testmini ?

Sadly no test mini at the moment. However, rest assured that the second I have one it'll be up here.

Chem-Dog
22-05-2012, 02:30
Have you considered using these (http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/product_info.php/bretonnian-men-arms-head-p-1206) heads (http://www.letthedicedecide.co.uk/product/Bretonnian_Men_At_Arms_Head_E_BTMA023) as a basis for a shako/stovepipe style piece of head gear? Bitzbox and LtDD both seem to have plenty hanging about (always a bonus when ordering specific parts in bulk) and they shouldn't be all that difficult to shave, file and whittle into something useful (perhaps with some of this (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Armour_Accessories/ETCHED-BRASS-SMALL-IMPERIAL-EAGLES.html) located on the front). It certainly says both "steampunk" and "napoleonic" better than feathered hats do IMHO.

I'm a big fan of using the empire hangunner weapons, I've use them in several experimental models and will be using them for a basis for weapons for a group of renegades at some point. And the Hockland Rifle has to get in there somewhere...Maybe sniper rifles.

That's all I got. Subbed and waiting eagerly for more developments :)

Valkraye
05-06-2012, 04:57
Have you considered using these (http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/product_info.php/bretonnian-men-arms-head-p-1206) heads (http://www.letthedicedecide.co.uk/product/Bretonnian_Men_At_Arms_Head_E_BTMA023) as a basis for a shako/stovepipe style piece of head gear? Bitzbox and LtDD both seem to have plenty hanging about (always a bonus when ordering specific parts in bulk) and they shouldn't be all that difficult to shave, file and whittle into something useful (perhaps with some of this (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Armour_Accessories/ETCHED-BRASS-SMALL-IMPERIAL-EAGLES.html) located on the front). It certainly says both "steampunk" and "napoleonic" better than feathered hats do IMHO.

I'm a big fan of using the empire hangunner weapons, I've use them in several experimental models and will be using them for a basis for weapons for a group of renegades at some point. And the Hockland Rifle has to get in there somewhere...Maybe sniper rifles.

That's all I got. Subbed and waiting eagerly for more developments :)

I hadn't thought of using those heads, no, though now it is something I can contemplating.

And yes, the Hockland is definitely getting in there. I love it too much for it to not make an appearance. It will either be as a sniper or to mark out a sergeant or something to that affect.

Cheers for your support, man, I appreciate it.

Once these uni exams are dead, I get a month off uni. That means that I should be posting up some test miniatures before too much longer. There are a few different ways I want to try the heads, from shakos to a couple different variants of the skull idea. I was thinking necron heads in the way of this (http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1031602) tutorial, though probably shaved down even more, with no teeth showing. Just a blank, expressionless mask, probably bronzed.

Chem-Dog
25-06-2012, 19:12
Valkraye! Have you had a chance to look at UKWD 378 (just out, heavy coverage of 6th Ed)?
I've had a flick through and saw an Army that made me think of you, it might be Chris Peach's army (I can't remember for sure, the shop had sold out and I was briefly looking through the store copy). It might be worth a look if you haven't seen it already.

Valkraye
14-07-2012, 07:23
Valkraye! Have you had a chance to look at UKWD 378 (just out, heavy coverage of 6th Ed)?
I've had a flick through and saw an Army that made me think of you, it might be Chris Peach's army (I can't remember for sure, the shop had sold out and I was briefly looking through the store copy). It might be worth a look if you haven't seen it already.

I did catch a glimpse of that army, and it was nice to see something along those lines. While I don't like the use of the feathers on the standard infantry, I do like his army overall. Very much. Mine will be blued-steel-type-metals though rather than bronze, I think, but the cavalry will look very similar.

andyg2006
14-07-2012, 14:31
I'm liking this theme loads. The puckle guns in particular caught my attention & would really like to see how they turn out.
Maybe you could have leads/pipes running off it to a box on the ground and make the box look like it's steam-powered (e.g. a steam-funnel, old locomotive whistle, valves/tubes, or an exhaust on it (either scratchbuilt or the ones from chainswords)?

Valkraye
28-10-2012, 12:37
Ladies and gentlemen, I am posting after all these months to let you know the project is still alive.

The end of uni is within sight. Things are looking up. My goal is to have a squad of 10 put together by January to show the concepts in model form.

As an update: I think I have decided to go with the "Screw GW" option and use third party components, namely for legs and torsos.

I am torn, though, between using Victoria Lambs 'Victorian Torsos' (http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/3-victorian-torsos) and MaxMini's Great Coat torsos (http://www.maxmini.eu/store/images/mxm_bits/greatcoattorso.jpg).

Either gives the look I am going for and each has its bonuses and worries.

The MaxMini torsos look amazing and are more in line with what I am looking for; but I fear they may be too bulky when it comes to adding legs and arms - the sides of the models have me worried.

Lamb's torsos also look great, but I am wondering how I will make a hood look "flush" with the neck.

That is the other thing I am having a problem with - to go with regular heads and hats or to go down the masked route...

*EDIT: I forgot to remove the bit about the pack on the back - I think I will go with bed rolls/traditional back packs. I will still have to find a way to "power" the rifles.

This is how masked would end up looking, but probably with the Conscript legs (http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/legs-x5) or the Dress Legs (http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/8-victorian-standing-legs-4-variants), which may fit better with the MaxMini torso.

If I use the Great Coat torso, I will probably green stuff a continuation of the coat to hang down similar to these:

Picture. (http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-23/art/dh-overseer.jpg)
Another picture. (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121017073239/dishonoredvideogame/images/e/ee/Overseermusicbox.jpg)
More picture. (http://einfogames.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/dishonored-12.jpg)
It's a pic-storm. (http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/dishonored/thumb/4/47/Elite_Guard.jpg/228px-Elite_Guard.jpg)
And now for something slightly different. (http://stylegent.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/greycoat.jpg)

So, dear War Seer, I ask for input. I love both the masked and unmasked approach; unmasked because it is more Napoleonic-ish, masked because it is more imposing. What do you ladies and gentlemen think?

SacredBoltgun
28-10-2012, 13:02
I think the Lamb Torsis fit better