PDA

View Full Version : Tau...Drone Army. What is your opinion?

CutThroatRazor
17-03-2012, 15:54
While doing different drone conversions for fun I realized that it is pretty easy to model drones for different units in the Tau codex.

Gun Drones with Pulse Rifle = Fire Warrior
Gun Drones with Pulse Carbine and Marker Light = Pathfinders
Gun Drones with Rail Rifle = Pathfinders*
Gun Drones with Burst Cannon and painted appropriately = Stealth Team

I think it would look pretty cool to only field Crisis Suits and Gun Drones on the table. What do you think? If all the Drones are modeled correctly, with the correct weapons and clearly marked as the above units, would you play against them?

Thanks

Dervos
17-03-2012, 16:02
Sounds like a cool project to me, I'd happily play it, as long as we could keep track of which unit was which xD

Have you already started on it or are you just thinking about do it?

MyNameDidntFit
17-03-2012, 16:05
Sounds like a great idea. I'd play it any day. You could easily go so far as to add your own fluff to it--a reason why there's an elite group of Crisis Suits with masses of drones floating about :)

CutThroatRazor
17-03-2012, 17:48
Sounds like a cool project to me, I'd happily play it, as long as we could keep track of which unit was which xD

Have you already started on it or are you just thinking about do it?

I have a few drones built. I wanted a few opinions before I started shopping for drones :). I like the idea and I think the look of the army will be neat.

Sounds like a great idea. I'd play it any day. You could easily go so far as to add your own fluff to it--a reason why there's an elite group of Crisis Suits with masses of drones floating about :)

Im working on some different reasons to justify it. It isnt too hard because the Tau use alot of drones.

I think it would be funny to model a crisis suit with a big remote control lol :) and maybe make some objective markers that are batteries haha.

owen matthew
17-03-2012, 19:30
i did something similar.

I made one unit of firewarriors out of very built up drones, with the appropriate weapons and bases- important so they could still be wisywig and correctly identifiable and legal.

I also made some broadside drones. Large turret conversions with correct weapons on them because the real broadside models kept breaking from being so top-heavy.

Nobody ever gave me any grief for using these models, they are perfectly acceptable conversions.

Have fun!

owen matthew
17-03-2012, 19:31
I'd just be careful to build up the conversions so that they would be more than just a single new gun underneath, so it was clear to anyone playing what a normal drone was, and what the conversions were.

Lord Damocles
17-03-2012, 19:39
The last time someone had this idea in 40K General (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?305522-would-you-accept)

Clang
17-03-2012, 20:01
So long as you make the drones the same height as a normal Tau dude, I can't see any gameplay problems - except for you, as they'll be a slightly bigger target than usual.

You'll only be replacing normal Tau dudes? Some sort of lower tech choppy version for counts-as Kroot would be amusing...

Archibald_TK
17-03-2012, 20:55
I see nothing wrong with it, in fact I quite like the concept.
If you need some inspiration, check that video from 5 years ago (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYIlM_tVphA) of a full Tau Drone army realized by Blue Tabletop Painting.

CutThroatRazor
17-03-2012, 22:59
I see nothing wrong with it, in fact I quite like the concept.
If you need some inspiration, check that video from 5 years ago (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYIlM_tVphA) of a full Tau Drone army realized by Blue Tabletop Painting.

Thanks so much for the video! I have never seen that before. Really cool!

lantzkev
18-03-2012, 02:17
biggest problem I see is when you have actual gun drones on the table =P

MyNameDidntFit
18-03-2012, 02:35
The last time someone had this idea in 40K General (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?305522-would-you-accept)

Not quite what the OP had in mind: that thread is about drones as Battlesuits, not Firewarriors/Stealth Suits/Pathfinders--the key difference being the base sizes.

ehlijen
18-03-2012, 08:44
Frankly, I just don't find drones visually interesting enough to want an army of nothing/little but them. Maybe you had more elaborate conversions in mind or maybe you just feel different, but I'd just get bored making such an army.

owen matthew
18-03-2012, 09:10
I had never seen that!

Its fairly ugly, but the right idea/concept. I'd focus on making better conversions than those, but they are effective...

Lord Damocles
18-03-2012, 15:01
Not quite what the OP had in mind: that thread is about drones as Battlesuits, not Firewarriors/Stealth Suits/Pathfinders--the key difference being the base sizes.
Non-Battlesuit drones do come up though, as does the Drone Army video mentioned two posts after my link.