PDA

View Full Version : New 'Citadel: How To Paint' Rumours

Rybo5000
19-03-2012, 10:30
My over-enthusiastic and friendly local Games Workshop employee talked about a new Citadel: How to Paint book coming out:

It will be in a binder
White Dwarf will come with new inserts to add to your binder
He hinted at a release being very soon but not sure how soon.

Has anyone else heard about this?

Forgive me if this is wrong section but I couldn't see a "General Rumours" thread :(

gilljoy
19-03-2012, 10:33
Theres a thread over in GW general about the new paints and stuff coming out.

I quite like this idea, especially if it means theres more content in White Dwarf and not just lots of advertisements for GW

Rybo5000
19-03-2012, 10:36
Gah, I knew this would be wrong. Could a mod please move this for me?

ihavetoomuchminis
19-03-2012, 11:28
And it will come with a How to paint DVD.

shelfunit.
19-03-2012, 11:43
The binder idea and WD inserts sounds like a move in the right direction.

Galfinnan
19-03-2012, 12:40
Quite like the sound of this, would actually be nice if they included a card in the box or blister of each model they sold, that could be clipped into the binder. I have a similar thing from a leading supermarket for recipies. Over a reasonable period of time it could turn into a reasonable resource. However, if they are only available through WD that would be a bit disappointing to me but a bit clever on GW part. Could see it turn into " build your own xxxxx " in only 36 monthly installments (in the same vein as the knitting, baking, skeleton ones.

Sai-Lauren
19-03-2012, 12:43
WD used to be printed so as to be able to remove pages and insert into into rules binders way back in the 100s - 140s.

They stopped doing it as it became untenable, the pages ripped and so on.

If the painting pages came as kind of like a part work, on laminated card, I could see it. But just going back to something they threw out about 20 years ago - sorry, but I can't see it personally.

Although, with my track record on these kinds of rumours, it's a certainty. :D

lbecks
19-03-2012, 12:57
Please bring back EM Masterclass GW.

TheDungen
19-03-2012, 16:44
What are you talking about 50% of white dwarf each month is eavy metal masterclass. Personally i find it a waste of space since i know i'll never be able to paint like that anyway.

ihavetoomuchminis
19-03-2012, 18:07
Maybe if at least you tried.....

lbecks
19-03-2012, 22:13
What are you talking about 50% of white dwarf each month is eavy metal masterclass. Personally i find it a waste of space since i know i'll never be able to paint like that anyway.

No it isn't. There hasn't been an EM masterclass since 2010.

Spiney Norman
19-03-2012, 23:58
I'd given it's a pretty safe bet given that every painting guide they've ever produced will be null and void within the next few weeks as the colours it tells you to use won't exist any more.

lbecks
20-03-2012, 00:04
I'd given it's a pretty safe bet given that every painting guide they've ever produced will be null and void within the next few weeks as the colours it tells you to use won't exist any more.

As long as you have eyes you can try and color match. And if you have a brain you can extract broad techniques from any painting guide.

I just hope the EM team for the last 2 years was making the book and DVD. If not GW is wasting them.

Spiney Norman
20-03-2012, 00:19
As long as you have eyes you can try and color match. And if you have a brain you can extract broad techniques from any painting guide.

I just hope the EM team for the last 2 years was making the book and DVD. If not GW is wasting them.

Thats not the point really, the paint formula is changing, yes there will still be "reds", "blues" and "greens", but they wont be the same reds blues and greens. Sure I guess it will be possible to mix a passable warlock purple or gretchin green if you have a fairly rudimentary grasp of colour and are willing to experiment with the new range, but if you've been used to using the current range out of the bottle as the paint guides often work to then having to mix two or three new colours to get one of the old colours is going to be a pain in the neck, I try to avoid mixing other than creating highlights from a base colour, I generally find it hard to replicate exactly the same shade unless I'm using paints straight from the bottle.

Besides, some of the current range of paints mix in unexpected ways, scorched brown actually has a lot of red in it, which means that mixing it with white gives you a shade of deep pink rather than a lighter brown which you probably would have expected mixing white with a brown colour, I don't imagine the brand new colours they've come up with will be any different.

Its only really an issue for people who are halfway through painting an army and want the second half to look the same as the first, if you're starting a new army from scratch then using the new colours out of the bottle wont look out of place.

Besides most GW paint guides don't teach technique, they assume you know what the techniques are because they generally say things like "drybrush with x", "edge Highlight with y" but stop short of explaining exactly what edge highlighting or drybrushing is, paint guides (at least the WD ones) are almost entirely about giving you a colour scheme, not a lesson in painting techniques, and because all the colours are going to be different all old paint schemes are basically out of the window. Its not just going to be a question of decoding the new names of the paints you know.

Its worth noting that even when two different paints look the same colour they don't always look the same when they've been applied to a models and dried, I've used a lot of vallejo paints who intentionally modeled their range on GWs paints, giving them slightly different names, and while the colours are very good most of the time there are one or two that are quite different to their GW versions, especially in how they mix, Vallejo beasty brown has a lot less pink in it than GW bestial brown for example, which you only really appreciate when mixing white into it (which is how I do my flesh tones).

lbecks
20-03-2012, 01:11
Thats not the point really, the paint formula is changing, yes there will still be "reds", "blues" and "greens", but they wont be the same reds blues and greens. Sure I guess it will be possible to mix a passable warlock purple or gretchin green if you have a fairly rudimentary grasp of colour and are willing to experiment with the new range, but if you've been used to using the current range out of the bottle as the paint guides often work to then having to mix two or three new colours to get one of the old colours is going to be a pain in the neck, I try to avoid mixing other than creating highlights from a base colour, I generally find it hard to replicate exactly the same shade unless I'm using paints straight from the bottle.

Besides, some of the current range of paints mix in unexpected ways, scorched brown actually has a lot of red in it, which means that mixing it with white gives you a shade of deep pink rather than a lighter brown which you probably would have expected mixing white with a brown colour, I don't imagine the brand new colours they've come up with will be any different.

Its only really an issue for people who are halfway through painting an army and want the second half to look the same as the first, if you're starting a new army from scratch then using the new colours out of the bottle wont look out of place.

Besides most GW paint guides don't teach technique, they assume you know what the techniques are because they generally say things like "drybrush with x", "edge Highlight with y" but stop short of explaining exactly what edge highlighting or drybrushing is, paint guides (at least the WD ones) are almost entirely about giving you a colour scheme, not a lesson in painting techniques, and because all the colours are going to be different all old paint schemes are basically out of the window. Its not just going to be a question of decoding the new names of the paints you know.

Its worth noting that even when two different paints look the same colour they don't always look the same when they've been applied to a models and dried, I've used a lot of vallejo paints who intentionally modeled their range on GWs paints, giving them slightly different names, and while the colours are very good most of the time there are one or two that are quite different to their GW versions, especially in how they mix, Vallejo beasty brown has a lot less pink in it than GW bestial brown for example, which you only really appreciate when mixing white into it (which is how I do my flesh tones).

You stated the all the painting guides are null and void. That's not true. That's like saying I can only use the painting guides from Privateer Press publications if I own all the P3 paints. I own mostly Vallejo Model Color paints and find GW and P3, and a whole slew of online guides to be very useful. In terms of teaching technique most current paint guides teach more "strategic" technique. (There were actual guides for line highlighting and drybrushing in previous WD's) And that's when to apply the more specific techniques, we'll call those "tactical" techniques (and I believe videos are the best for these techniques where they can show hand motion). The new line of GW paints is broken down into very strategic sections. Base, Layer, Shade, Drybrush, Glaze. Teaching strategic technique is very important along with tactical technique. In one of the EM Masterclasses someone asked "how do you paint so and so armor?" The answer they gave was "choose different colors and apply them similarly to how this guide shows you." And that's not an invalid answer. At the end of the day it creates a smarter painter who's willing to try new things and be responsible for their painting.

If you're halfway through painting an army, then you're probably done with guides. You have your techniques set and are just worried about the paints not being available anymore since you want a consistency of look. That's not really a painting guide issue.

trigger
20-03-2012, 02:46
The painting guilds will. Be a good idea as long as it didnt have stupid things like the guards man head in 50 easy steps an what not

Spiney Norman
22-03-2012, 00:08
If you're halfway through painting an army, then you're probably done with guides. You have your techniques set and are just worried about the paints not being available anymore since you want a consistency of look. That's not really a painting guide issue.

not at all, one of the reasons I prefer to use GW paint guides for my armies is because it's a great way to make sure I can replicate the paint scheme when I expand my army, I generally find a white dwarf issue or "how to paint" book is harder to misplace than a scrap of note paper, which almost invariably gets thrown away by my wife. Both my savage Orc and dark Eldar armies broadly follow the WD paint schemes printed around the time of the respective models releases, all I have to do is dig out my old wds and I can precisely replicate the same paint techniques as the rest of my army.

The advantage of paint guides for me has always been having someone who has done the messing around mixing up colours bit for me so I don't have to waste time and paint mixing around to find A good colour that works, that aspect of painting guide is now completely void because all the colours are going to be totally different, for example mixing Mephiston red with x is not going to give me the same result as mixing mechrite red with x because the colours will be different.

lbecks
22-03-2012, 00:41
not at all, one of the reasons I prefer to use GW paint guides for my armies is because it's a great way to make sure I can replicate the paint scheme when I expand my army, I generally find a white dwarf issue or "how to paint" book is harder to misplace than a scrap of note paper, which almost invariably gets thrown away by my wife. Both my savage Orc and dark Eldar armies broadly follow the WD paint schemes printed around the time of the respective models releases, all I have to do is dig out my old wds and I can precisely replicate the same paint techniques as the rest of my army.

The advantage of paint guides for me has always been having someone who has done the messing around mixing up colours bit for me so I don't have to waste time and paint mixing around to find A good colour that works, that aspect of painting guide is now completely void because all the colours are going to be totally different, for example mixing Mephiston red with x is not going to give me the same result as mixing mechrite red with x because the colours will be different.

That's still a materials issue and not a guides issue. You're upset the paints are changing. Which is a valid complaint. But all guides are still useful. What if someone buys the new how to paint book and has all the old colors? Or non-GW colors? That doesn't mean it's useless to him. That's just a materials issue. Anyone with a brain can overcome that.