PDA

View Full Version : Seafang unit - Chaos Pirates

BattleofLund
19-03-2012, 23:46
Hello!

Simply put: given that Wulfrik the Wanderer's Marauder crew totally are Chaos Pirates, what kit, Mark, and options should they have?

The matter of Marking seems, to me, to be about what cliche one wants to evoke.

This is what I'm thinking so far: pirates are desperate fellows, so the Marks of Slaanesh or Khorne could be appropriate. A case could be made for pirates being less than totally disciplined -> Khorne, but also pirates being tricksy sailors, or salty seamen -> Slaanesh (the 'Pun Argument')... Unfortunately (for ease-of-choice), even unmarked Marauders are unlikely to Panic... so Tzeentch, Nurgle and unmarked are still on the table too. Though Nurgle seems a bit wrong.

Options - I'm inclined to think 'anything goes'. Champ? First Mate or something. Musician? Absolutely, why not? Banner? Mutant-skull and crossbones, totally in character!

Kit: again with the desired cliche here.

Body armour (in this case, 'light armour') seems the kind of thing a pirate wouldn't wear, am I right? No seriously, am I right or wrong here?
'Shields' could represent the limited amount of protection provided by mixed equipment, as well as the parrying abilities of having a hook-instead-of-a-hand or using a parrying implement beside your main weapon.
But equally 'flails' could simulate the 'choppa' effect of the sudden pirate assault. Combined with the Mark of Tzeentch one would get Dodgy pirates with Brief Brutality.
The only two equipment options I'm totally against for Pirate Marauders is 'great-weapons' and 'no-weapons'. Sluggish pirates, or dirt-poor pirates? No thanks.

Appreciate any input. Thanks for your time.

Vampiric16
20-03-2012, 14:26
I always pictured Wulfrik and co as Vikings...

scoopdeta
20-03-2012, 14:37
I would agree with Vampiric...I would look at them more a vikings. Pirates didn't really conduct full on raids of villages too often. They would prey mor eon targets of opportunity...more like seafaring thieves. The vikings were much more about sailing to conquer villages and settlements and such..more like wanderers. As far as nurgle being way off...i dont really agree here either. The idea of seafaring life is quite a dirty one...there was always a lot of disease and pestilence aboard ships. Just think back to the pilgrims and how they brought small pox and such to the natives...they were like nurgles carriers. I could see them all having some sores and such just looking grimy and greasy as could be. Typically slannesh is very clean and pretty...not what I picture for pirates or vikings. Khorne however could also fit very well. To me the choice would be between Khorne and Nurgle.

As far as Armor would go...I would say it would depend if you want to go pirate themed or viking themed. Pirtaes I would say would have basically the same tyupe of kit as what marauders have minus the shield and no helmets...maybe double hand weapons...no flails. The vikings would be a bit heavier...still marauders i'd say...maybe with axes, shields and helmets. Alot of trophys such as head sand hands and such as well. Maybe different bits from several armies to show how they have traveled around a bit. I think a unti like that would give you a good chance to make a lot of individual looking minis.

BigbyWolf
20-03-2012, 15:02
Wulfrik is undivided, I think it acutally says so in his background, I'd say to be faithful to that, his marauders should be undivided as well.

Tayrod
20-03-2012, 15:28
heh. I just about to finish the wulfrik novels. So I acutally have the canon answers:
They usually scream skulls for the skull god when they attack, but wulfrik sacrifies opponents to all the gods (in the book), barring slaanesh.
His reavers wears heavy armour (or light armour), and shields. Someone also use bows, and great weapons.

BattleofLund
20-03-2012, 22:27
I always pictured Wulfrik and co as Vikings...

What kind of vikings? The 'sail around, kill people and take their stuff' kind seem quite piratical.

Pirates didn't really conduct full on raids of villages too often. They would prey mor eon targets of opportunity...more like seafaring thieves. The vikings were much more about sailing to conquer villages and settlements and such..more like wanderers.

Wanderers conquer villages? Now you're just making stuff up, I think.

As far as nurgle being way off...i dont really agree here either. The idea of seafaring life is quite a dirty one...there was always a lot of disease and pestilence aboard ships. Just think back to the pilgrims and how they brought small pox and such to the natives...they were like nurgles carriers. I could see them all having some sores and such just looking grimy and greasy as could be. Typically slannesh is very clean and pretty...not what I picture for pirates or vikings. Khorne however could also fit very well. To me the choice would be between Khorne and Nurgle.

Yes. Possibly the pilgrims weren't the first 'Old Worlders' to visit 'The Natives', but who cares about who gave who the claps 500 years ago? Your argument is noted, thank you!

Wulfrik is undivided, I think it acutally says so in his background, I'd say to be faithful to that, his marauders should be undivided as well.

A valid opinion, however having had my fluff innocence ripped from me I am no longer bound by this kind of fluff morality. If I desire, they will have a Mark different from Wulfrik's. And they will like it.

heh. I just about to finish the wulfrik novels. So I acutally have the canon answers:
They usually scream skulls for the skull god when they attack, but wulfrik sacrifies opponents to all the gods (in the book), barring slaanesh.
His reavers wears heavy armour (or light armour), and shields. Someone also use bows, and great weapons.

Thank you all for your replies. Now...

'Let us for a moment assume that Wulfrik the Wanderer's Marauder crew totally are Chaos Pirates. In rules terms, what kit, Mark, and options should they have?'

theunwantedbeing
20-03-2012, 22:45
Assuming they are pirates and ignoring options in the WoC book as limitations and the fluff which make them out to be Khornate of some kind....

They need extra hand weapons, light armour, pistols (arrrr! pirates be needin pistols), along with cannons.
As that's the traditional pirate weaponry :)

scoopdeta
21-03-2012, 02:34
I really like the kits from the marauder horsemen...not the typical marauders. To me the heads on these guys would look way more pirate like. I am not even sure about the marauder bodies to tell you the truth. Do you want to stay in the games workshop range? Would you be willing to go with a hodge podge of models in the unit? I really lik ethe Ogre model for the pirate...really nice. Also...the new white dwarf model is pirate themed...would have to make it a lil more chaosy...the Ogre would be a lot easier. When i picture pirates I picture group of scrappy guys from several different walks of life. I really like the idea where you could individualize a lot of the models. I would say some pistols and sword and such as well...

Now a quick question for clarification...do you want to keep them all kitted the same or would you do some "counts as"? Do you want to go with a specific mark with a matching theme? Like a paint scheme to tie them together Khorne wise...or maybe just some icons and such...

Vampiric16
21-03-2012, 09:37
What kind of vikings? The 'sail around, kill people and take their stuff' kind seem quite piratical.

Yes they sail around, but they sail village to village. Like the Vikings. Pirates (assuming we're talking PotC and that sort of stereotype) went for supply ships out at sea, and occasionally small raids on coatal towns.

But really, look at the model of Wulfrik. Does that look like any pirate you've ever seen? His background and his design clearly lend a LOT to Vikings.

If you wanted a pirate force, Empire or Dwarfs would have been a better choice, what with the powder weapons and such.

Leogun_91
21-03-2012, 09:50
For a chaos pirate theme I'd go with shields to represent side arms and arm most with bucklers to clarify, I'd skip light armour. For marks I'd take either Slaanesh (Rum and gold), Khorne (Killing people) or Nurgle (Scurvy sailors who are like a big family). I'd also add a first mate in form of an exalted hero with either Stream of Corruption or Bloodcurdling Roar to represent a hand cannon.

Badbones777
21-03-2012, 10:50
[QUOTE=BattleofLund;6141306]What kind of vikings? The 'sail around, kill people and take their stuff' kind seem quite piratical.

Which is quite appropriate since the word Viking in Old English was used interchangeably to mean both pirate and Scandanavian!

BigbyWolf
21-03-2012, 13:39
A valid opinion, however having had my fluff innocence ripped from me I am no longer bound by this kind of fluff morality. If I desire, they will have a Mark different from Wulfrik's. And they will like it.

Ah, well if we're looking at it that way...

In rules terms, what kit,

Whatever you want.

Mark

Whatever you want.

and options should they have?'

Whatever you want.

Really, if you're looking at not applying any of the actual background, and simply decide that that they are pirates, then it's really easy to justify any and all of the marks/ equipment/ colour of loincloths.

giant stegadon
21-03-2012, 17:02
BigbyWolf is dead on- if you're disregarding the fluff then its literally whatever you feel like since you're disregarding the guidelines of what he would be.

BattleofLund
22-03-2012, 22:30
Really, if you're looking at not applying any of the actual background, and simply decide that that they are pirates, then it's really easy to justify any and all of the marks/ equipment/ colour of loincloths.

Not a question of not applying 'any' of the actual background. You wrote: 'Wulfrik is undivided, I think it acutally says so in his background, I'd say to be faithful to that, his marauders should be undivided as well.'

Characters with a specific Mark only ever being found within units of identically Marked troops is not in the actual background. If anything, Undivided Champions would be most likely to play nice with a Cult/Marked unit - wouldn't you agree? (as opposed to, for example, a Slaaneshi Sorcerer joining Khornate Chosen - life expectancy snowflake on the sun IMO)

As for it being really easy to justify any and all of the marks/equipment/colour of loincloths, I happen not to think so. The Nurgle thing for example, or 'sailors' wearing a tonne of armour. Then there's the cover of Plague Fleet, showing Nurglesque Warriors/Champions with Chaos Armour and Greatweapons... and I'm back to square one. :)