PDA

View Full Version : Emporer's Children. What to know?

Tyranno1
20-03-2012, 00:01
I have been looking to start this sinister legion marines and i wish to know as much about them before I can really get started.

So, what do Emperor's Children armies look like on the table-top? And are their sonic weapons any good?

And does anyone know any little bits of fluff about them thats not written in the CSM codex?

khaosmarines
20-03-2012, 00:34
I understand that their not very competitive at the moment, but can be ok in a more friendly environment.

Chem-Dog
20-03-2012, 00:35
The Emperor's Children suffer badly at the moment. It pains me to say it but they really aren't that much cop on the table.
Noise Marines end up paying more points-per-man for their advantages over regular CSM's than any of the other Cult troops.
Initiative 5 is incredibly dependant on what army you are facing, and that's all you get without buying Sonic Weapons, it goes without saying that the issue is just as significant with CSM's carrying a Slaaneshi Icon.

Sonic weapons are great, I love them, I just think that, for what they do they are incredibly overpriced. Sonic Blasters are fun but they are only Bolters with a better RoF, the Blastmaster is bloody lethal when stationary (and sometimes pinning even works) and punchy enough on the move that you don't mind moving with them if there's a juicy charge to be had. Which brings me to the Doom Siren, it's an Ap3 Heavy Flamer! Get close enough to use it and giggle like a maniac :evilgrin: then wade in to the mauled unit with Initiative 5.

But don't let this dissuade you from considering an Emperor's Children army, we're getting a New CSM Codex soon and that's promising to make all of the Legion fans quite pleased. I'm planning an EC army myself.

As for fluff, reading the first four Horus Heresy Novels will give you a pretty good view of the Legion before and during the Heresy (mainly because Fulgrim weaves it's story between the events of the opening three) and, if you're anything like me, you'll actually get to really like Lucius.

Pooky
20-03-2012, 02:34
Emperors Children when painted well looks fan-freaking-tastic on the table top. Don't be boxed in by thinking they need to be bubblegum pink. Any pastel colour will do according to their fluff. Ultramarines Blue and Lich Purple are two colours that could also be used and would look good with the typical gold trim. Oh, they need gold trim to make them 'pretty'.

Sonic weaponry as previously mentioned are nifty but are horribly over priced. As for their cult troops, they are lacking some punch. One unit that is sometimes mentioned is having a unit of Terminators with Paried Lightning Claws and the Mark of Slaanesh. This unit will slice and dice most basic infantry units before they can strike since they are In5 so will usually strike before the opponent, have a bucket of attacks and can re-roll the fails-to-wound.

Fluff wise, best look to the internets:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Emperor's_Children

I quite like the Emperors Children from the aspect of them trying to attain martial perfection and seeking to push their mortal limits rather than the pedestrian understanding of them wanting to have group orgies and generally be sexual/ pleasure deviants.

Axeman1n
20-03-2012, 07:50
I would take them in Apocalypse using the data sheet.
My friend does well with Lash and Sonic Megablasters.

The_Dark_Raven
20-03-2012, 12:33
Fabius Bile is my favorite 40k character. I enjoyed Fulgrim more then any heresy book I've read (9 so far) and I have both a SM Codex (pre-heresy) army and Chaos Codex army for them.

It's a fun army that keeps on giving.

Tyranno1
20-03-2012, 14:40
Thanks for the enthusiastic replies =).

Don't be boxed in by thinking they need to be bubblegum pink

I was actually looking forward to painting them pink. It and black make a very good colour scheme indeed in my eyes.

Which brings me to the Doom Siren, it's an Ap3 Heavy Flamer! Get close enough to use it and giggle like a maniac then wade in to the mauled unit with Initiative 5.

I did drool a little when reading that weapon. For what it is I thought it was pretty nasty.

One more question. Summoned deamons. Are they any good? I did a once over of the stats and wasn't that impressed. Or mabye I am looking at them wrongly? Because I really do want to add some daemonettes to the army as I havent done anything to do with daemons for ages (gave up on them in fantasy back in 7th) and they would add some very nice variation over standard marine lists.

Grimmeth
20-03-2012, 14:46
Summoned Daemons have advantages, they deepstrike in which, when combined with icons they can do with unnerring accuracy.
They're also a cheap troop unit (campared to your other choices)that isn't bad in combat and comes with an invulnerable save.

Not top grade, granted, but they can definitely suprise an opponent when they drop in.

totgeboren
20-03-2012, 16:21
I have some old RT noise marines, painted in pastels with cheetah and zebra patterns, and they always makes me want to start an Slaanesh warband. I don't like the rules much though, and I don't have much more of an idea than simply that I like the RT model, which is a one-pose model.

But Slaanesh/EC armies can look stunning, either going with the black+bright pastel theme, or if you are a good painter, going for excessive patterns like zebras, cheetahs and exotic frogs and such can look really awesome on the table. If one paints the patters good enough, they even hurt your eyes to look at somewhat, which I think is a nice touch. :)
If it's a EC theme, and not a general Slaanesh theme, I think some sort of purple and gold theme would be nice.

Bubble Ghost
20-03-2012, 16:32
Which brings me to the Doom Siren, it's an Ap3 Heavy Flamer! Get close enough to use it and giggle like a maniac :evilgrin:

True - just remember not to shoot with anything else, as I discovered when I was new to 40K. Wiped out an enemy Night Lords squad with my Doom Siren, then proceeded to bring two of them back to life with my Sonic Blasters. &%*$ wound allocation.:D

And, black and pink is where it's at, man. As far as my army actually has any background, they aren't actual Emperor's Children, but I used their colour scheme anyway (in tribute and to spread fear, I guess) because it just looks so damn cool.

Obake123
20-03-2012, 19:06
I run a Slaaneshi army, all bright pink with bronze trim. It looks stunning on the table, especially when playing on a green table surface.

You will never forget one of your models on the table at the end fo the game!

But, as has been pointed out, GW is deliberately marginallising the God of naughty stuff to make the game more acceptable to children. Thus the rules for Emperors Children are not much use. THe Apoc datasheet is great though and if they just cut and paste that into the new codex I'll be more than happy!

The_Dark_Raven
20-03-2012, 20:58
Think about lashing a 10 man marine squad, the power fist sergeant and his buddies. All 200 odd points get whipped into the shape of a flamer right in front of your doom siren. Anything that stand after that? Well it takes some I5 hits from your powersword, and all your other chaos buddies. If it's still alive then? It must have been a tank. :shifty:

Jayden63
20-03-2012, 23:26
As with most cult/legion things in the current CSM codex, the EC have little to no presence and suffer everything that sucks in the codex. For fluff, get your hands on an internet copy of the 3.5 chaos CSM codex and read the EC fluff in there. That book paints them into a more interesting picture including their Sacred number of 6, their animosity with Khorne, etc. Also do not just think of EC just as sex perverts (like most people do). Their depravity goes far beyond just sex. Read about Slannesh and its allure of perfection, acquisition, and ultimately self destruction. Each EC member has something in their hearts they wish to achieve fully. Be it wealth, power, respect, etc. Slannesh promises all of that, but just barely that. She keeps them each dangling by giving just enough too keep them comfortable, but yet wanting more. Never fully reaching the ultimate gratification of acquiring that which their hearts most desire. Thus they keep working for her/him/it. Striving for that ultimate goal that is always just dangling past their finger tips.

My EC are orange and green. I love the autumn colors and this was the perfect army to represent this. Here is a link to some of my guys.

http://www.pbase.com/jayden63/chaos

Tyranno1
21-03-2012, 00:28
do not just think of EC just as sex perverts
Dont worry, that wasnt my dominating opinion of them. I see their search for perfection and the perfect sounds to be far greater a part of them.

I am thinking of units to use slowly and carefully, no rushing here, as this army will be more a labour of love than a rush and grab to the table, leaves more time to find out more about the new book. I am converting loyalist marines rather than useing chaos marines, as I find many features about them feel outdated and make them show thier age too much. Sculpting a more elongated "snout" and various icons onto them.

Units I plan to use so far are Noise marines defiantly with a doom siren+power weapon leader, Terminators (For lightning claws I will use spare daemonette claws, for a more mutated look) and a Daemon prince.

Lastly, are summoned greater daemons worthwhile? I glanced at thier statline and they looked very powerful and tough, for a rather low cost.

Pooky
21-03-2012, 04:05
Lastly, are summoned greater daemons worthwhile? I glanced at thier statline and they looked very powerful and tough, for a rather low cost.

They are pretty good, but they attract anti-tank firepower magnet. As soon as it drops on the table prepare to have plenty of rockets/ las-cannons/ plasma/ etc unloaded on it.

MaliGn
21-03-2012, 04:58
I made an all-bike Emperor's Children army with the last codev, it was great fun to both build and play, although at a thousand points for a death star Lord and retinue and 24 daemonettes it was fairly "eggs in one basket" but damn was it fun! If the rumour for a new chaos bike kit is true and the army becomes viable again I'll dust it off in a flash.

Commissar Davis
21-03-2012, 22:40
You may also want to look at the Flawless Host, who are a splinter group from Emperors Children. I think they have a better colour scheme. Are you going to use any of the new Forge World stuff?

Tyranno1
21-03-2012, 23:23
You may also want to look at the Flawless Host, who are a splinter group from Emperors Children. I think they have a better colour scheme. Are you going to use any of the new Forge World stuff?

I have seen their colour scheme, I just prefer the Emperor's children one. And I probably wont use forge world, too expensive really and I didnt see much slaanesh stuff thier. Or are you talking about the rules?

bobafett_h
21-03-2012, 23:56
One bit of supposed fluff about Slaanesh I always remember was how they apparently have faces on the ends of their genitals...

I have always wanted to do Emperor's Children alongside my World Eaters because of the animosity. I have a squad of 6 of the old Noise Marine models plus 6 old Chaos Terminators that just look like they should be in a Slaaneshi army. But I never really went any further than that since the current codex came out and changed everything. If they bring back the ability to have Noise Marine Havoc squads with a few Blastmasters in them and give Sonic Weapons to Termies and Vehicles, I just might expand to a full EC army...

MasterValrik
22-03-2012, 00:01
I have been looking to start this sinister legion marines and i wish to know as much about them before I can really get started.

So, what do Emperor's Children armies look like on the table-top? And are their sonic weapons any good?

And does anyone know any little bits of fluff about them thats not written in the CSM codex? They are bad people...

totgeboren
22-03-2012, 00:08
For me Noise Marines will always look like this. :)

Commissar Davis
22-03-2012, 00:32
I have seen their colour scheme, I just prefer the Emperor's children one. And I probably wont use forge world, too expensive really and I didnt see much slaanesh stuff thier. Or are you talking about the rules?

Less so the rules... I think some of them allow for more use of sonic weapons though. Some of the generic Chaos (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/CHAOS_DECIMATOR_DAEMON_ENGINE.html)stuff is quite pretty, as are the Daemons (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/KEEPER-OF-SECRETS-GREATER-DAEMON-OF-SLAANESH.html).

Almost forgot... "BLAM (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Blam)" Heretic!