PDA

View Full Version : tell me about Lizardmen

khaosmarines
20-03-2012, 00:43
I have the current Lizardmen codex, but have only ever played 40k and no next to nothing about fantasy.

I would like to know how lizard men are competitively

And anything else about play style

Well, really any information at all would be useful :)

The Low King
20-03-2012, 01:01
Strong army. Solid troops backed by fast skirmishers. Great magic. Hard as nails characters. Cool units and fluff.

Spiney Norman
20-03-2012, 01:06
They are arguably one of the most competitive armies in the game currently, I'd probably rate them as the 4th most powerful, behind Skaven, Chaos Daemons and Dark Elves.

As such they will probably get toned down significantly with their next army book (god knows when that will be). They have strong combat infantry, the most powerful wizards in the game, one of the best ranged anti-horde weapons, some of the best warmachine hunters out there and lots and lots of dinosaurs (everyone loves dinosaurs right?)

linuvian
20-03-2012, 01:10
They are one of the very all around very solid armies out there. Most people only play a few builds, but they can be built in multiple ways.

They have one of (if not THE) best caster in the game in the slann. Their core infantry are very strong and durable, and can dish out some good damage. The stegadons are good support units that can hold up well and dish some damage too. The salamanders and skinks are great support units for protecting the flanks, and chameleon skinks are great for scout units. As the Low King said, their characters are tough as nails. The saurus characters are overlooked, but are among the toughest in the game.

Lizardmen lend themselves mostly to conservative play due to their shooting and magic and overall tough blocks of infantry and good leadership due to cold blooded. Alternatively if you want a change, you can go offensive with cold on cavalry, stegadons, chameleon skinks, and oldblood on cold one (or carnosaur if you aren't fighting people with cannons). The offensive lists actually do surprisingly well as most people don't expect it from LM.

Outfitting the Slann with different lores can really affect your overall strategy too. Life is great for defensive, but i've seen success with a standalone slann with Lore of Fire do really well too.

khaosmarines
20-03-2012, 01:37
sounds great so far =p

is the Battalion an ok buy or??

any terrible units i should stay away from ???

Great units that are must have??

thanks for all replies sounds like im going to grab some lizardmen', they were the first army that got me into warhammer (tho i ended up going to 40k)

someone2040
20-03-2012, 06:11
Saurus Cavalry (unfortunately in the batallion) aren't that great. They're not terrible, but they're not awesome either.
Razordons also aren't that fantastic.
The special characters are unfortunately overpriced, but this doesn't affect most people.
Pretty much every other option in the list is at the very least competitive though.

Kayosiv
20-03-2012, 07:34
Lizardmen are great because they are so flexible. They can go big combat blocks, small amounts of many skirmishing blocks, big magic, big monsters, or any combination of the four. What they can't do is a gunline because all of their shooting (while mobile) is relatively short range and their few war machines are among the weakest in the game. They also cannot do deathstars very well, meaning that they cannot make 1 ultra super unit. You "can" get a unit of temple guard and horde it and put like 4 saurus characters in it, but you never see that because it isn't optimal compared to all the other things the army can do.

Here's a breakdown of the units and how good they are in general.

Very good, you should probably have most of these in your list:
Slann
Scar Veterans
Saurus warriors
Temple guard (if you take a Slann)
skinks (cohorts or skirmishers are both great)
Chameleon skinks
Salamanders
Ancient Stegadons

A solid choice, but not optimal in all situations.
Temple Guard (without a Slann)
Cold One Cavalry
Kroxigar
Razordons
Terradon Riders
Old Bloods
skink Priests
Stegadons
Gor'Rok

A poor choice that will almost always under-perform.
Skinks Chiefs
Jungle Swarms
All the special characters that aren't Gor'rok (seriously)
Carnosaurs

khaosmarines
20-03-2012, 08:37
thanks kayosiv, really helps

Most of my favorite units (model wise) are in the very good list :D

Kayosiv
20-03-2012, 09:28
I've got some battle reports in the thread in my signature featuring Lizardmen, although only 1 battle is in 8th edition. It could still give you a helpful glimpse into their playstyle, which hasn't really changed much other than doubling the size of any combat unit. Ask anything else in this thread or PM me if you have any other specific questions.

xxRavenxx
20-03-2012, 09:42
I will now impart upon you all you need to know about lizard men:

Do you love Jurassic Park?

If yes. Play lizardmen. They have (/are) dinosaurs!

If no. Play undead. You clearly have no soul.

T10
20-03-2012, 10:05
I would like to know how lizard men are competitively

They are the closest thing you come to Space Marines: An army with no weaknesses.

Their main strength, really, is their Leadership rules. Cold Blooded makes the very reliable and it is unusual for even low-Leadership value troops to fail their tests. This means you can rely on them to be unaffected by panic, fear and terror without suffering the down side of not being able to flee from a charge.

Your close combat troops are strong, tough, have multiple attacks and a good armour save. They don't often lose combat, and even so it's usually not by much. The Cold Blooded rule means they need to lose by quite a lot before there is significant risk of them breaking. Add into this that you have the access to the same common Leadership boosting abilities and magical items as the rest of the armies out there and you're out ahead.

-T10

tmarichards
20-03-2012, 10:13
Lizardmen are the strongest single army in the game, except for when everything works for Skaven.

MyNameDidntFit
20-03-2012, 10:19
@Raven: What if I loved Jurassic Park, but mostly because of Sam Neill?

On topic, though, I've not seen much of LM play, but my friend plays them and his codex--army book sorry, damned 40k roots showing through--is full of awesome fluff.

beanerboy
20-03-2012, 12:00
It's strange I was about to start a very similar thread, as I'm in more or less exactly the same situation, played 40k and Lotr for a while, and have picked up the rule book and lizard men army book. Just had no idea where to start, going to aim for 2 battalions and a slan as well as a plastic hero. It gives me a nice round set of models, and the I wanted to add some chomelen skinks as they seem handy for war machine hunting.

What's a general build for a slan? I was thinking -knows all the spells from the lore and -plus one power dice, with the magic item that lets me ignore my first miscast on 2+ and a couple of dispell scrolls, whilst also making him my army bsb? And maybe lore of fire, in a unit of 20 temple gaurd?

tmarichards
20-03-2012, 12:03
More often than not now you're seeing double Slann, instead of a single tooled up one. You're not far off though if you just want one- Standard of Discipline and Lore of Light would be good additions to what you already have.

Manling
21-03-2012, 02:45
Lizardmen are good solid infantry and casters.
im an Empire player and a bret player but i go up against lizardmen frequently enough to know the army and it is a very good army with a very low learning curve thats easy to play and learn.
that being said the army has glaring deficiencies when it comes to shooting. Its just not a very shooty army. and against some you might very well loose a good chunk to shooting armies like dwarfs and my beloved empire.
also another big thing your army is weak to is anything that has to do with initiative. the Lore of Death and the Lore of Shadow can outright annihlate your costly hordes.

all that being said the army is a good one and i hope you have fun learning the game!

Whaagnomore
21-03-2012, 12:50
A poor choice that will almost always under-perform.
Skinks Chiefs
Jungle Swarms

I'd like to point out that Skink Chiefs becomes total murder in a Lore of Beast themed list. That is: a well-kitted slann with LoB and loads of skink chiefs to get the extra str and attacks, bs5 str7 javelins anyone?(poisoned too). In melee they will dish out 6 str 7 attacks on init 5 (ws 4.. but...meh).
Also, skink chiefs works well on terradons as lone warmachine-hunters if you equip them well.

Skink swarms are kind of useless agreed, but remember that they are unbreakable and can be used as small roadbumps against various things (the poison attacks in melee are always fun).
Also if buffed with Okkam's mindrazor they get str 10.

beanerboy
22-03-2012, 02:50
Thanks for all the advice. Really helpfull, wondering though if two battalions, the plastic hero and a Slan would be a good start for a list. I can only really see the cold ones as not to helpful but split into a unit of 10 and 6 I think they could do sme damage.

The bearded one
22-03-2012, 03:04
I'd like to point out that Skink Chiefs becomes total murder in a Lore of Beast themed list. That is: a well-kitted slann with LoB and loads of skink chiefs to get the extra str and attacks, bs5 str7 javelins anyone?(poisoned too). In melee they will dish out 6 str 7 attacks on init 5 (ws 4.. but...meh).
Also, skink chiefs works well on terradons as lone warmachine-hunters if you equip them well.

Skink swarms are kind of useless agreed, but remember that they are unbreakable and can be used as small roadbumps against various things (the poison attacks in melee are always fun).
Also if buffed with Okkam's mindrazor they get str 10.

one could make them passable in this manner, but instead of skink chiefs you might as well use scar veterans for that beast themed list as the extra 30pts will net you a better save, +2 toughness, +1 strength, +1 attack, +1 weaponskill and +1 leadership.

In the other case, for a skink chief on terradon with light armour and shield, you could buy a unit of 3 terradons.

Knights_Templar
22-03-2012, 05:30
Lizardmen have but one weakness, their initiative, sarus are among the slowest models in the game (zombies and Great Weapon wielding infantry are the only things that are slower). Yes skinks can balance that out but you will find your opponents soon going for purple sun or pit of shades all the time (especially if they're High Elves but that's another story). So be wary of that fact, however they're still a great army though, I really enjoy playing them (even if I field an Old Blood on a Carnasaur all the time, against the internet's advice no less!!).
Depending on the attitude of your local group you list can have variety, even fluffy lists are ideal, but if you're finding yourself in a competitive environment you do have options with Lizardmen, have fun with the army they're great.

Rosstifer
22-03-2012, 06:41
Lizardmen are well bent. In my opinion. Double Slaan, double mounted Scar Vets is just.... wrong.

Cool army though, gorgeous model range!

Why
22-03-2012, 19:39
Lizardmen can be a very strong army. Slann on his on controls the magic phase, skinks do well in movement and against some things their shooting is amazing and saurus anything is great in the grind of CC.

Watch out for initiative spells and you'll do fine with almost any list.