PDA

View Full Version : SO Boar Boys: Spears or Additional Hand Weapon?

Oogie boogie boss
20-03-2012, 14:25
The title sums it up really. I'm thinking of adding a small unit of SO Boar Boys to my, thus far, small SO force. I was pondering on how to equip them.
Additional Hand Weapons obviously mean more attacks, and with the Choppa rule they'll get +1 ST in the 1st round, but Frenzy already means they get 2 attacks each, before the Boar, and the opportunity to make them ST 5 on the charge with spears is mighty tempting.
The armies i will mostly be playing are WoC, Brets, Beastmen, Dwarves and Skaven.
So what do people think? More attacks or stronger?

Bladelord
20-03-2012, 14:58
I'd say x2 choppas but keep in mind I have no experience when it comes to O&G, it just feels like the better option:P. It depends what you want them to do.

Malorian
20-03-2012, 17:28
I don't like either option.

In my opinion you are using these guys to wipe out support units, war machines, and maybe add some kills to a flank. Adding punch power is not really needed for the first 2 functions and to be honest doesn't really add that much when attacking a flank. I find it more important to keep more of them alive to get more attacks (especially with the low init).

For this reason I suggest you give shields a thought. Coupled with the boar they then have a respectable 4+ save and 6+ ward and stick toss out a good amount of attacks.

Oogie boogie boss
20-03-2012, 18:09
But surely i'd still get a 4+ 6++ save from the shields even if i was using spears? Obviously, if i took spears i'd also take shields. Bit more expensive, but worth it for the save.

Oogie boogie boss
20-03-2012, 18:10
Also, the only reason i may lean towards spears is the high toughness and armour saves of the armies i most regularly play. Against WoC and Dwarves in particular, the ability to be ST5 on the charge could be important. Still don't know if more attacks is the better option though.....

Malorian
20-03-2012, 18:14
You're right, there's no doubt about that, I just question the cost and if it's worth it.

Basically out of 15 attacks you are paying those points to make 10 of them str 5 rather than str 4, and to me that's usually overkill. Like I said mine usually clear out support units on the flank, and five str 5 and 10 str 4 is all I ever need.

Badbones777
20-03-2012, 19:20
But surely i'd still get a 4+ 6++ save from the shields even if i was using spears? Obviously, if i took spears i'd also take shields. Bit more expensive, but worth it for the save.

I'm not sure you would, the parry ward save is only applicable to Hand Weapon and Shield. If you take any other weapon (in this case Spears) you have to use it and can't elect to use hand weapons in preference.
Also Frenzied troops don't get the parry save anyway.

EDITunless the ward save bit is from some sort of magical paint? I seem to recall Savage orcs had that (I haven't faced Orcs in fantasy for over 7 years!) If so I would have thought that the basic save would be better though-doesn't the Boar add 2 in a similar manner to a Cold one? I'm sure it used to.

Malorian
20-03-2012, 19:23
I'm not sure you would, the parry ward save is only applicable to Hand Weapon and Shield. If you take any other weapon (in this case Spears) you have to use it and can't elect to use hand weapons in preference.
Also Frenzied troops don't get the parry save anyway.

We're talking about a tatoo save, not a parry.

Badbones777
20-03-2012, 19:43
Indeed-I added an edit as I did recall the Orcy-paint goodness Savage Orcs got back in 4th ed and thought this might well be what
the OP (and your good self) were referring to!

In answer to OP's question I would go with Spear and Shield. I say this of course not knowing much about Orcs other Cavalry options (I am assuming they can get more heavily armoured Orcs on Boars too)
but I am guessing that if you don't play a size of game which would make it possible/practical to fit in enough points (and more importantly money!) to take one of each then It might be a good halfway house beween hittiness
and survivability. As a Skaven player of course, my lads would certainly want no part of the additional hand weapon option, but in my opinion I'd probably go for the spears and shields as a "default option" unless
not taking them would let you squeeze in something else. Also they might allow you a last shot at taking something heavily armoured out if the games gone against you and there's not much left your end to take out
something you just can't seem to touch!

Djekar
20-03-2012, 20:38
I like the spears, but I have a great ability to roll poorly when it counts and wounding on 2/3's instead of 3/4's makes a big difference for me sometimes. That being said, I can see the merits of keeping them cheap too.

Oogie boogie boss
22-03-2012, 10:48
Well, i'm starting with a unit of 5, eventually i want to have 3 units of 15. Still not having played with my Sorcs yet, i'm not too worried about rolling, as i'm expecting new model syndrome to cripple my dice for a while anyway. I think, seeing as i've given my SO boys additional choppas, i might give the Boar Boys spears and shield. I think i might need the added punch against the Chaos Warriors and Bret Knights i'm going to face.
And Mal, I should explain that the WoC army i'm facing doesn't really have any diversion units to target, it's a core of Warriors, supported by Knights and Dragon Ogres. The only 'soft' targets are a unit of Marauder Horsemen and some Hounds, so i'm thinking spears may be necessary. As for the Brets and Dwarves, the armour is going to be hard to get through, so again spears, even with the extra cost, seem like the better option. Really, it looks like it's only the Beastmen that additional Choppa might be favourable against. Still not entirely certain, but i think i'll give spears a go.

Asuryan's Spear
22-03-2012, 12:54
i'm confused. arent you str5 on the charge with both choppas and spears? in fact double choppas seem better as they dont require you to charge to get the +1 str bonus

oldWitheredCorpse
22-03-2012, 13:41
i'm confused. arent you str5 on the charge with both choppas and spears? in fact double choppas seem better as they dont require you to charge to get the +1 str bonus

Ever since the new O&G book, the choppas rule applies to everything, so spears are +2S on the charge: 1 for choppa and 1 for mounted spear. It's a very choppy spear.

Oogie boogie boss
22-03-2012, 15:20
They're only S5 on the charge with additional choppa if they're Big 'Uns, otherwise they're S4. Spears with the choppa rule add +2 ST on the charge, and with this unit, barring animosity, i should usually be the one charging.

decker_cky
22-03-2012, 15:38
I'd go with additional choppas, if only for the awesomeness of it. 3S4 and 1S5 attack per model on the charge is very nice.