PDA

View Full Version : Converting: LotRO Class Suggestions Pls?

Peregrin
20-03-2012, 15:55
I play Lord of the Rings Online and I really like some of the characters I've created and played in that game.
I was thinking of converting some GW figures to represent some of the classes from LotRO. It will be a while, as I still have a bunch of knights, wood elves, Numenoreans, and some of their heroes to paint first.

While I finish those, I want to start thinking of what I might use and how I might convert them and thought I might get the community's thoughts on this as well.

Races are, of course, Dwarf, Elf, Hobbit, Man
The Classes are as follows:

Guardian - primarily defense (tank), single hand weapon, heavy armour, heavy shield. Races: All
Champion - primarily CC damage, dual wielded or 2H weapons, heavy armour. Races: Dwarf, Elf, Man
Burglar - primarily stealth attacks and 'tricks', dagger, light armour. Races : Hobbit, Man
Captain - primarliy team buffs, comes with a banner bearer pet, uses hand or 2h weapons, spear, or halberd, shield, armour, or heavy armour. Races: Man
Hunter - primarily ranged damage, bow or crossbow and dual wield weapons, light armour. Races: All
Lore Master - primarily spell caster and pet class, uses 2h staff or hand weapon. Races: Elf, Man
Minstrel - primarily healer and buff/debuff, uses instrument (horn, drum, lyre, flute, etc.) and/or hand weapon. Races: All
Rune Keeper - speciallist in either healing or offensive spells. Races: Dwarf, Elf
Warden - Primarily defense through self heals, uses spear, shield, medium armour, thrown weapons (javelin). Races: Elf, Hobbit, Man

My own main characters are a male elf warden, a male dwarf champ, and a female elf hunter. I'd also like some ideas for a good looking guardian. Of course, if you have any suggestions for the others, they would be welcome as well.

Any thoughts as to what and how to convert these? any thoughts on what profiles would be appropriate for them?
Thanks.

Whitwort Stormbringer
21-03-2012, 04:30
In terms of converting your characters, it's hard to offer advice without having actually seen them. If you post some screen-shots, I'd be happy to weigh in though.

As far as profiles, personally I'd just make up some house rules. Very few of the LotR Online classes' in-game roles are going to be very well represented by any of the profiles in SBG. Guardian, Champion, and Hunter are maybe not too hard (depending on what race you go with), but the rest would be pretty tough.

Peregrin
21-03-2012, 16:15
I'm looking at profiles for my elf warden and I can almost do it with a wood elf captain. Give him throwing daggers to account for the javelin. Give him wood elf spear (which allows shielding without giving a shield's defence bonus). It seems to me, though, that a 4 defence is a bit too low for a 75 point figure. Are there any hero profiles that can use both spear and shield? I see the High Elf warriors are pictured with both but their captains don't have the option.

Whitwort Stormbringer
21-03-2012, 18:34
No official profiles for elves pop into mind, particularly because spears aren't generally that great of a weapon for heroes, but I don't see why you couldn't just add a shield to a spear-toting hero for 5 points like every other hero. Or add light armor to the wood elf captain for 5 points. It may not be in their official profile, but I think that's more for thematic reasons than for balance reasons.

While I'm at it, here are the possible "counts-as" profiles I came up with:

Guardian
Pretty much any dwarf hero, especially the dwarf shieldbearer, armored Merry or Pippin, any captain/king with heavy armor and shield (would have to be Gondor or High Elf for humans/elves).

Champion
Dwarf King's Champion (although his companions don't quite fit), Angbor, Forlong, Dragon Knight, Gimli, White Knight of Gondor, Bandobras, Erestor, Elladan & Elrohir,

Hunter
Haldir, Drar, Halbarad, Madril, Arathorn, any captain/king with light armor and a bow or throwing weapons.

Captain
Erkenbrand, Cirion, Arvedui, maybe Thranduil?

Minstrel
Malbeth

Lore Master
Cirdan

Rune Keeper
Floi

Peregrin
21-03-2012, 21:16
Those are some great suggestions.
Because of how the warden works, I was thinking of considering his spear as a hand weapon rather than a spear. Like you said, he's not used to using his troops as shields to hide behind.

Any suggestions for female figures? I could mod Arwen for my hunter, but there's quite a lack of female models in the Lotr range.

Whitwort Stormbringer
21-03-2012, 23:47
Definitely check this thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?306610-Alternative-lotr-miniatures&p=5648681&highlight=female+lotr#post5648681) for some ideas on female minis.

There's also red box games (http://red-box-games.com/), which has a fair number of medieval female figures. Try their Aelfar range.

Lastly, Foundry (http://wargamesfoundry.com/) does several nymphs in their fantasy range that I think could make good LotR female elves. As with most Foundry minis, they're a tad pricey and you have to buy them in packs, so it's not practical for getting individual figures. The nymphs are listed in their fantasy elves range.

kingcici
05-04-2012, 14:34
dwarf gurdain