PDA

View Full Version : Ninja Army?

slingersam
20-03-2012, 20:19
What do you guys think will make a good ninja/ samurai army? I was thinking grey knights. But then DE actually started making a lot of sense to me as well. So asking you guys which do you think wil be better. As well if you have other options why not.

steevn
20-03-2012, 20:40
i always thought that eldar had some japanese elements in it (banners on dire avengers, swords,...)

ColShaw
20-03-2012, 21:01
For samurai, I'd say Eldar. For ninjas, Dark Eldar all the way.

Ozendorph
20-03-2012, 22:41
Ninjas = genestealers. Lictors could be some sort of super ninjas, like Sho Kosugi. Samurai would be double-bonesword warriors. Do it. ;)

Do it.

slingersam
20-03-2012, 22:48
I was asking for more game play wise. The idea of an army that hits hard in CC. Can be fast by the number of attacks, iniative, or just mobility. Can be slightly durable because of samurai armor. And has to do CC well even if its not its main focus

Oppressor
20-03-2012, 23:03
I would agree with ColShaw. Samurai = Eldar (striking scorpions stand out to me specifically) and Ninja = Dark Eldar.

Chem-Dog
20-03-2012, 23:03
One of the real advantages of playing a Ninja army is never having to paint any models :shifty:

What about a Coteaz Henchman army? Lots of DCA's (and an OAO) for the Ninja element and some Crusaders as pseudo Samurai.
Could be fun.

You could even include a Dreadknight or two as giant RoboSamurai la Sucker Punch :D

Charistoph
20-03-2012, 23:23
Which type of ninja? Movie or reality?

slingersam
21-03-2012, 00:09
I dont know the difference really.

Sir_Turalyon
21-03-2012, 00:31
Either Calidus Assassin (or three) or Alpha Legion disguised as Dark Eldar.

carldooley
21-03-2012, 00:35
I dont know the difference really.

movie ninja are best represented by Deldar. Webway gates et al - get in quick, kill your target, and get out quicker.

real ninjas can be represented with any faction really - do whatever it takes to do the mission, then fade away. . . (think Callidus Assassins)

the standard missions aren't really all that suited to ninja type missions. try sealed envelope objectives - a half dozen objectives sealed in envelopes with one chosen at random on both sides. Assassination, Objective, kill a certain number of units or a percentage of the enemy force, etc. . . the beautiful thing about playing in this manner is that both sides don't necessarily have the same victory conditions - just like in a real battle. (and both can have victories or defeats - so not really suited to tournaments either)

ehlijen
21-03-2012, 01:01
Shurikan Catapults. Enough said :P

Wishing
21-03-2012, 09:01
"Fast, durable, good in CC" could apply to almost any army type depending on how you build it. Grey Knights do seem to be perfect just for flexibility - use marines as samurai, and death cult assassins as ninja. Armoured guys with halberds and fast, flimsy assassins. Seems to work. It boils down to what kind of feel you want the army to have.

x-esiv-4c
21-03-2012, 12:15
I'd go with Chem's suggestion. Some kind of inquisitor army with a host of henchmen (deathcult assassins etc)

Stonerhino
21-03-2012, 20:31
Space Wolves would actually be the best fit.

Ninja = Wolf Scouts, Saga of the Hunter characters
Samurai = Most other units
Mounted Samurai = Thunder Wolves/bikes
Japanese Cannons = Long Fangs (Small cannons and limited in number)

wyvirn
21-03-2012, 21:22
I'd say eldar. Real ninjas weren't about killing entire armies, they were more like magician assassins. They know how to misdirect attention up to and even past the key moment, and use gimmicks to get away. I would use warp spiders to deep strike, shoot and pop back up, repeat to harass.

Charistoph
21-03-2012, 22:30
Ninjas were spies, pure and simple. They had access to cool tricks and gadgets, but nothing Bond-level. All that magic stuff and dressed in body-covering all comes from the stage. Quite often, a proper ninja looked and acted like a peasant or house-hold servant to be discreet. Samurai were the nobility and officers. Pure and simple. Then there were the peasantry.

If you're looking at movie-style, I definitely go for Grey Knights. Assassins are Ninja. Field Coteaz as the Daimyo, with the henchmen as the peasant troops, and Grey Knights as the OTT Samurai.

Kevlar
22-03-2012, 00:02
You would probably do better playing a clan eshin WFB army.

Shamana
22-03-2012, 01:36
What do you guys think will make a good ninja/ samurai army? I was thinking grey knights. But then DE actually started making a lot of sense to me as well. So asking you guys which do you think wil be better. As well if you have other options why not.

Both of these would be fine, I guess, and you could possibly use craftworld eldar as well (harlequins as ninja - they've got the speed, the punch, and the stealth-of-sorts). The problem with using eldar of any variety is that several of the thematic units are in the elites slot - harlequins, mandrakes, incubi, scorpions and banshees. Grey knights don't have that problem, especially if you use Coteaz to take henchmen as troops.

igwarlord
22-03-2012, 01:41
I agree with the level of eldar and d eldar
The eldar were supposed to have that samurai feel

carldooley
22-03-2012, 03:26
The eldar were supposed to have that samurai feel

only if you just watched The Two Towers (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167261/). . .

slingersam
22-03-2012, 04:34
Ya i was thinking of using eldar with the jet bike council. and banshees. with pathfinders fr troops, what do you guys think

AlphariusOmegon20
22-03-2012, 16:49
A lot of people here have some weird misconceptions about what "Ninjas" really were capable of. I blame Hollywood though.

Historical "ninja" were NOT assassins! They were Buddhist monks that worked occasionally as intel gatherers for the Daimyos. There is not one historical documentation of a "ninja" assassinating anyone, and those that reportedly exist are questioned as being either propaganda and misinformation intentionally spread by the monks themselves.

That being said, I'd argue that Alpha Legion would be the closest you'd get to a historical "ninja".

Chem-Dog
22-03-2012, 17:38
There is not one historical documentation of a "ninja" assassinating anyone

There's plenty of documentation...
In the Ninja Headquarters, which you can't see, because it's built by Ninjas. FACT.

:shifty:

Denny
22-03-2012, 18:08
A lot of people here have some weird misconceptions about what "Ninjas" really were capable of.

Those people need to get pumped ( http://www.realultimatepower.net/).

FashaTheDog
22-03-2012, 18:52
Perfect pop culture ninja army would be a 3,000 point Apocalypse army that consists of one guy; Sly Marbo. However, to represent his amazing ability to be everywhere at once and completely surround an army by himself, the list consists of 46 Marbos each representing him rushing about causing massive death and destruction with confused reports and friendly fire across the battlefield.

For a regular 40K list, then Teenage Mutant Ninja Genestealers might be a good way to go. Fast, good in assault, and capable of deployment shenanigans. As stated by Ozendorph, Lictors can be used too as those flesh hooks are really shuriken. Ymgarl Genestealers are good ninja material too. For an HQ, the Parasite might be neat as jump infantry allows him to deep strike and his 12" movement over stuff is clearly right out of an anime like Ninja Scroll or, if he fails a dangerous terrain roll, Ninja Nonsense (if that becomes a regular occurrence, then he must be named Onsokumaru and modeled appropriately).

insectum7
22-03-2012, 19:07
A lot of people here have some weird misconceptions about what "Ninjas" really were capable of. I blame Hollywood though.

Historical "ninja" were NOT assassins! They were Buddhist monks that worked occasionally as intel gatherers for the Daimyos. There is not one historical documentation of a "ninja" assassinating anyone, and those that reportedly exist are questioned as being either propaganda and misinformation intentionally spread by the monks themselves.

That being said, I'd argue that Alpha Legion would be the closest you'd get to a historical "ninja".

You've clearly been reading too much anti-ninja propaganda. Which is spread by ninjas BTW, in order to sow confusion.

Alpha Legion is a pretty good candidate though.

FashaTheDog
22-03-2012, 20:03
One of the real advantages of playing a Ninja army is never having to paint any models :shifty:

Yes, here is my ninja army.

Kevlar
22-03-2012, 22:31

Wow those would make awesome ethereal spirit host.

trigger
22-03-2012, 22:40
You could have at least based them , it will finish them off nice :)

Shamana
23-03-2012, 00:39
Historical "ninja" were NOT assassins! They were Buddhist monks that worked occasionally as intel gatherers for the Daimyos. There is not one historical documentation of a "ninja" assassinating anyone, and those that reportedly exist are questioned as being either propaganda and misinformation intentionally spread by the monks themselves..

Not sure about documentation, but would it be any surprise that spies occasionally also do assassinations, and that there is seldom any paper trail of their involvement?

clansman
23-03-2012, 00:56
Why hasnt anyone suggested an all scout vanilla marine force? grey Knights? like terminator psykers and ninjas have so much in common. All Scouts would involve complete infiltration/outflanking maneuvers much more appropriate than OP counts as nonsense. Plus it would make for a more tactical interesting army to play with or against.

FashaTheDog
23-03-2012, 01:15
You could have at least based them , it will finish them off nice :)

I have, several times in fact. Problem is it keeps disappearing. ;)

Chem-Dog
23-03-2012, 01:36

SWEET, I like how they're all in the same clan colours!

Wow those would make awesome ethereal spirit host.

Don't be daft....ROUND BASES!!!!

Not sure about documentation, but would it be any surprise that spies occasionally also do assassinations, and that there is seldom any paper trail of their involvement?

It would be a surprise for the guy getting assassinated, one would hope (otherwise why is he still there?!).

Why hasnt anyone suggested an all scout vanilla marine force? grey Knights? like terminator psykers and ninjas have so much in common. All Scouts would involve complete infiltration/outflanking maneuvers much more appropriate than OP counts as nonsense. Plus it would make for a more tactical interesting army to play with or against.

Yeah but Scouts can't totally flip out?

Denny
23-03-2012, 10:09

They don't wail on guitars either.

Angelwing
23-03-2012, 12:11

Pfft. GW warhammer nippon ninjas ahoy!

FashaTheDog
23-03-2012, 16:54
Those aren't real ninjas Angelwing; you can see them.

Proof you can't see ninjas. (http://www.theonion.com/video/ninja-parade-slips-through-town-unnoticed-once-aga,14181/)

slingersam
25-03-2012, 01:13
Well i think i decided to go with the elder jet bike council. with pathfinder troops and banshee elites. heres what I've done so far.136185136186136187136188136188

lantzkev
25-03-2012, 01:30
Well i think i decided to go with the elder jet bike council. with pathfinder troops and banshee elites. heres what I've done so far.136185136186136187136188136188

Any chance you can use the rotate 90 degree function before uploading? what a pain in the neck! :cries:

slingersam
25-03-2012, 02:06
Sorry i was doing this off my phone. didn't think they would turn out like that. so what do you guys think

Reivax26
25-03-2012, 04:37
Well if you wanted to do a Samurai army I always thought that modified Black Templars would fit the bill better and everyone wants to see a Dreadknought holding a Masamune. Admit it.

lantzkev
25-03-2012, 04:41
There was a cool samurai tau army I saw once on the interwebs, looked well done.

Reivax26
25-03-2012, 04:45
The best models for a Samurai army are actually in Warmachine if I remember correctly. You could do a Space Marine army and actually make them look like Samurai but the hours of work it would take to perfect the shoulder pads and the chest and legs would drive a man insane. Would look epic painted up if you still had a mind left.

I agree that fluff wise Alpha Legion would get the Ninja part of it. You could make arguments for the all scout army but compared to the way Alpha Legion is in the fluff there really isn't a comparison to be made.

FashaTheDog
25-03-2012, 05:28
Any chance you can use the rotate 90 degree function before uploading? what a pain in the neck! :cries:

Silly lantzkev; just do what I did and put your screen on its side:p.

Pooky
30-03-2012, 00:23
I would have said do a Raven Guard army :confused:

Fluff wise they are suited down to the letter. The whole, 'Attack with out warning and then only shadows when the enemy attacks". That and they have black power armor.

New Cult King
30-03-2012, 00:46
I actually quite like the idea of the Tyranid counts-as for ninjas.

Dammit, now you all have me thinking about a themed army that I canNOT afford :cries:

Charistoph
30-03-2012, 01:02
Kroot are the ultimate Ninja in 40K, and they are backed up by the second best, the Vespid!

Just kidding.

For real ninjas, you'd never see them on the field, for movie ninjas, the Assassins, Harlequin, and such are the best representatives.

Starchild
30-03-2012, 03:53
We had this discussion a long time ago when Warseer was called Portent. Space Marines are very samurai-like with their devotion to an Emperor and their high ideals. In form however Eldar are also a good fit. WD 127 says that the Aspect Warriors cultivate the arts in addition to their martial training. That's similar to how samurai could be great artists doing calligraphy, flower arrangement, the tea ceremony, etc.

I tried to go for a samurai look with my Dire Avengers. Each one has a back banner. For pictures follow one of the links in my signature below: (;))

AlphariusOmegon20
30-03-2012, 04:49
Well if you wanted to do a Samurai army I always thought that modified Black Templars would fit the bill better and everyone wants to see a Dreadknought holding a Masamune. Admit it.

You do realize Masamune was a particular sword maker's name, and not the name of the type of sword itself, right?

The word you might have been looking for is "Nodachi"

Nurgling Chieftain
30-03-2012, 15:07
I think I'd have to go with Harlequins (for cinematic ninjas). You can't see them from farther than their charge range, they scoff at difficult terrain, they even have a flip rule, plus hit&run is very appropriate too.

Vipoid
30-03-2012, 15:47
How about Ork ninjas? :D

Charistoph
30-03-2012, 16:15
I do so wish you could field Kommandos as Troops. It would be awesome!

FashaTheDog
30-03-2012, 17:09
You do realize Masamune was a particular sword maker's name, and not the name of the type of sword itself, right?

The word you might have been looking for is "Nodachi"

Perhaps he meant "holding a masamune" in the same manner some people would say "I bought a Rembrandt;" they clearly did not buy a dead painter, but rather one of his works.

Buddha777
30-03-2012, 17:31
Gotta echo eldar. Dire avengers have the banners on their back, perfect for ashigaru (basic foot spearmen) or as samurai, striking scorpions as ninja, autarchs as Daimyo.

Glyn
31-03-2012, 02:32
i've got to agree with the Eldar answer in terms of speed and the like for Ninja's but again if you look historically the samurai could be done Grey Knights with a little effort...but i'd stick with the Eldar of either side although the craftworld weapons are more japanese-esque of the two

lantzkev
31-03-2012, 03:04
one tau conversion (http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/49510-Samurai%20themed%20Shas'O.html)

another (http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/2011/1/18/dfb2f4d004677fc3212bbbfad87c125b_24567.jpg__thumb)

Gomez here... (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?314579-Gomez-does-some-Tau)

slingersam
01-04-2012, 05:32
Ya im doing conversions of futuristic samurais and ninjas with taut and de models. using eldar rules

DietDolphin
01-04-2012, 09:31

Go Blood Angels, Take Astaroth and they'll flip out at least 50% of the time.

How about Ork ninjas? :D

Ninja Orks, you never see 'em comin...

Axeman1n
01-04-2012, 18:26
If it's an asian themed army, it's hard to go wrong with the Anime impsired Tau.
I do like Eldar here too, especially Harlequins as Ninjas though.
If I did do the blank bases, I would definately use snow. Prestine snow with No foot prints! epic.

Charistoph
01-04-2012, 18:40
If it's an asian themed army, it's hard to go wrong with the Anime impsired Tau.
I do like Eldar here too, especially Harlequins as Ninjas though.
If I did do the blank bases, I would definately use snow. Prestine snow with No foot prints! epic.

Tau are hardly anime-inspired. Oriental-themed/inspired, yes, but not anime. You'll find far more anime in the Eldar army, by a long shot. And Tau would make a HORRIBLE ninja army. Kroot, though...

And I love those Infiltrating Orks, CLASSIC!

FashaTheDog
01-04-2012, 22:24
Tau are hardly anime-inspired.

My Tau from the Sept 3, better known as Zeon, beg to differ. In case you wish to pose a counter argument, you can talk to my Hammerhead.

Charistoph
01-04-2012, 22:27
My Tau from the Sept 3, better known as Zeon, beg to differ. In case you wish to pose a counter argument, you can talk to my Hammerhead.

Making your Tau Anime does not mean that Tau are anime-inspired.

Cool conversion, though.

FashaTheDog
01-04-2012, 22:48
Making your Tau Anime does not mean that Tau are anime-inspired.

Cool conversion, though.

I know, I was just looking for an excuse to post that picture. Although I could make the argument that my Tau army inspired me to do a Gundam theme, so the inverse is quite true here.

Charistoph
02-04-2012, 05:00
I know, I was just looking for an excuse to post that picture. Although I could make the argument that my Tau army inspired me to do a Gundam theme, so the inverse is quite true here.

Heh, no doubt, I never said that they couldn't inspire in and of themselves. But it has to be a shooty anime, as the whole classic ninja/samurai is the one style Tau they REALLY can't play, which is most anime.

Nurgling Chieftain
02-04-2012, 15:52
Tau are hardly anime-inspired. Oriental-themed/inspired, yes, but not anime. You'll find far more anime in the Eldar army, by a long shot.:wtf: I see it's opposite day in Charistoph-land again.

Charistoph
02-04-2012, 21:02
:wtf: I see it's opposite day in Charistoph-land again.

Oriental does not always mean anime. Anime is an art style that was started by the Japanese. The Tau army actually has aesthetics closer to Chinese concepts. Their equipment and doctrine also more closely resemble Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers (the book, not the movies) than Gundam/Macross. The smooth lines and over the top skills that anime usually use are more easily found in the Craftworld Eldar.

Nurgling Chieftain
02-04-2012, 23:25
The Eldar's basic weapon is a shuriken, they train at dojos, they even wear Sashimonos to battle. They're intended to be Japanese elves and they weren't very subtle about it. But other than some of their weapons and accessories, they don't really look like Samurai or Ninjas. Certainly their current appearance borrows some from anime (which in turn borrows from, well, samurai, etc...), but also from many other sources (Rome, quite prominently!) real and fictional.

But the Tau crisis suit is a straight-up bulky veritech with a few accessories that derive not so much from anime generally as from Macross specifically. And once again, it isn't exactly subtle.