PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts + Tomb Kings, Undead Combo?

LawL LawL
21-03-2012, 03:16
As the title implies, I'm wondering if the two can work together as an uber undead combo. My friend says his VC spells can affect TK units, and vice versa.

-Totenkopf-
21-03-2012, 03:27
It's a tough call.. The TK are specifically referred to as "nehekharan undead" whilst the vampire counts are simply undead.. I have thought about doing this a lot as I run an arkhan themed list. It is something i would talk to my opponents about. I usually play with just friends.. If you dig into the liber mortis, there are differences between how the two armies are animated, however, from a fluff and pure common sense factor, I would say they would be they same when it comes to lore attributes..

LawL LawL
21-03-2012, 04:42
I can understand fluff-wise the magic operating in a similar/identical fashion. But from a purely fluff-related perspective, didn't the Vampire Counts more or less break off from TKs? I remember my friend mentioning something along those lines. I have neither the TK or VC book on hand though, so I have no idea if what I just said was true.

Anyhow the bottom line is, the subject of the argument over the rule discrepancies was that the TK Lore Attribute was unable to heal characters, but they were saying using the VC spell (or Lore Attribute, can't recall which) they could heal TK characters because they're technically 'Undead'. From my point of view, that is going against the TK Lore Attribute, written in their army book, specifically so that they could not heal their characters. It's very much akin to simply circumventing rules utilizing insignificant minutiae to your advantage. Doesn't really hold true to the point of the game, nor the fluff, if the VCs are truly TK rebels.

Yamabushi
21-03-2012, 09:03
TK spells, unboosted, can affect VC units. Boosted version can only affect Nehekharan Undead. The Lore attribute only works on Nehekharan Undead.

VC spells, unboosted and boosted, affects both armies. The Lore attribute can be used to heal TK characters.

That's how we have been playing it :)

Smogg
22-03-2012, 07:40
With a bit of goodwill, it could be possible to let TK and VC resurrect eachothers units. For very RAW players it would create a whole array of loopholes that would never make sense. Like TK's would prolly be able to restore several wounds of ethereal units because they dont have that limitation in their lore attribute. Obviously one would have to glance across to the other army book and look at restrictions for the simmilar spell and then work it out from there. So making it work would really require that the oponent was all excited about the idea too.

On a side note, I don't think it would be a problem for the VC lore attribute to heal a friendly TK model in either case. The VC lore attribute is not resurrecting fallen warriors. Its just a one wound heal. For that matter it could be used on your friendly neighbourhood skaven as well.

Hell Storm
22-03-2012, 11:24
It gets weird when you put the Vampire general near TKs. The rule for the Vampire general is that undead within 12" may march as normal. So the normal slow TKs would become twice as fast when the local vampire stops by to see how its going. lol

As for healing, I wouldn't mind it if the healing was mutually beneficial. After all, they're all undead.

nurgle5
22-03-2012, 12:42
It gets weird when you put the Vampire general near TKs. The rule for the Vampire general is that undead within 12" may march as normal. So the normal slow TKs would become twice as fast when the local vampire stops by to see how its going. lol.

I was under the impression that Nehekharen Undead could never march :wtf:.

hamsterwheel
22-03-2012, 13:37
Q: Are models with the Nehekharan Undead special rule
Undead? (p28)
A: Yes.

I'm not sure how the TK spells are worded but it appears that VC special rules and spells would work on TK.

Scalebug
22-03-2012, 15:22
I was under the impression that Nehekharen Undead could never march :wtf:.

You are correct, "..units with the Nehekran Undead rule can never (ever!) make march moves.." (Tomb KIngs AB p.28).