PDA

View Full Version : Coolest "random bit" to be found in your 40k kits

Thorpedo
21-03-2012, 07:28
I was lurking again today and came across the 'round Ork mine thread'. This got me thinking about all the cool random bitz you get with the kits and how they are often my favourite bit.

So my questions are:

What is your favourite "random'' bit? & How have you used it?

I currently like the Icons on the Dire Avenger sprues and have used them as wound markers.

triplare
21-03-2012, 07:48
I like the Hive Node included with Genestealer sprues. I use them as objective markers.

Killgore
21-03-2012, 10:11
Last night I came across a spare Space Marine tank crew rear torso bit, with the cables and stuff.

It's made me consider making a new Chaplain for my Black Templars. The rear torso will be used as a front armour piece to give the impression of life support mechanics, this Chaplains had a run in with some gribbly Tyranids

Ambience 327
21-03-2012, 15:19
I am rather fond of the Servo Skulls found in the Cadian Command Squad and Space Marine Devastator kits. Servo Skulls are used so much in the artwork, and they can be very useful in modelling (and Inquistor if you play with 28mm models) to add some character. They can also be rather useful in GK armies.

The Marshel
21-03-2012, 15:24
I am rather fond of the Servo Skulls found in the Cadian Command Squad and Space Marine Devastator kits. Servo Skulls are used so much in the artwork, and they can be very useful in modelling (and Inquistor if you play with 28mm models) to add some character. They can also be rather useful in GK armies.

+1. two of my marine captains have servo skulls lurking around on their base. it just adds a nice subtle element to it

ColShaw
21-03-2012, 16:15
I like the empty helmet and shovel bitz from Cadian sprues. I've used them to make a scenery piece that's a city park in a warzone, turned into a makeshift cemetery (helmets planted on muzzle-down rifles over mounds of fresh dirt, with shovel nearby).

Konovalev
21-03-2012, 19:03
Coolest random bit in my opinion: Khorne icon necklaces in the bloodcrusher set.
Lamest random bit: purity seals. (are these even on the sprue anymore? it's been a while since I built space marines...)

Chem-Dog
21-03-2012, 19:18
Space Marine Sniper scouts:- Genestealer skull!
It's still my out-and-out favourite random piece in any kit.
Come to think of it, we need much more in the way of Xenos skulls in general.

Morkash
21-03-2012, 19:20
I second the Servo skulls. They were unexpectedly included in the Devastator box (I didn't expect them, at least) and just look great. Another "bit" are the armour plates from the old hybrid vindicator, I didn't use them all on the model so I had some fancy Storm Shields. :D

igwarlord
22-03-2012, 01:53
My favorite bit was the OLD bulldozer from the sisters of battle kits. The long one where it had HUGE spines coming out of it. I have turned that into more things than you can think of. Giant claws for Orks or the end of a magna grapple. I miss that bit.

madprophet
22-03-2012, 02:36
I like the crashed lander from the previous box set and the naval officer from the same box

MajorWesJanson
22-03-2012, 03:32
I'm quite fond of the locator beacon from the terminator kit and the stealth generator from the Tau stealth team. Make great themed objective markers.

insectum7
22-03-2012, 09:10
Another vote for the Servo-Skulls here.

I'm also a big fan of the helmet that comes for the marine tank crewman, with all the additional bionics.

3 0f 6
22-03-2012, 09:28
I quite like the Ultramarine Milkman model from battle for macragge (sp).

librerian_samae
22-03-2012, 11:14
servo skulls hands down for me too.

Seved
23-03-2012, 04:27
The servo skulls and the genesteler death head here too.

Sons of Lorgar
23-03-2012, 12:04
My host's allied daemon prince has a servo-skull mounted on a very thin wire 'floating' above him between his wings.

I also have a fondness for the empty cadian helmet, among other things, it's been added to a modified WHFB skeleton skull and added to the base of my Dark Apostle painted as a white-shield besides a mauled SoB helmet, a mauled loyalist SM helmet and a white loyalist terminator helmet with red stripes and a neat molten hole in the forhead.

Monospot
23-03-2012, 15:41
Mine is the Gretchin that is hanging on for dear life from the Stompa kit. Looks awesome hanging on to any Ork vehicles, especially with other Grot crew...