PDA

View Full Version : Your strange addiction...

Oppressor
22-03-2012, 06:41
So, you've been in the hobby for awhile now. Gotten a respectable army collection assembled, maybe even started making googly eyes at another army while your current one wasn't looking, or even went ahead and started another army or a couple more despite your current army (how big of you!). You've gotten your fair share of games under your belt, maybe even gotten things all figured out.

And yet, despite all this, the collecting, the list building, the playtesting, there's that one thing you always seem to have in your lists. You tell yourself it's no big deal, it's fine, it works for you, your other army doesn't or armies don't have it... they have thier own one thing that's always there!!!!!

So, in the spirit of healing, what is your strange addiction? That one unit or theme or weapon option or whatever that you just seem to either always take or try to take for whatever the reason?

agurus1
22-03-2012, 06:52
well... I always take medics in my Command Squads for my Vostroyan IG..... not even just the HQ! I take them in Platoon Command Squads!!! And I even take Voxs!!! my lovely antenna-ed friends! and the worst for last.... a Regimental Banner! Thats right, I'm a big boy! I have a flag!

Oh and I forgot to mention Plasma Guns.... I don't care if they blow up sometime! I love their glowing coolant-coils, and the S7 AP2 death they unleash!!! :chrome:

DietDolphin
22-03-2012, 06:58
Oh and I forgot to mention Plasma Guns.... I don't care if they blow up sometime! I love their glowing coolant-coils, and the S7 AP2 death they unleash!!! :chrome:

Guilty :angel: I always give my Commander a plasma pistol.

Nothings more manly than a gun that can blow off your own hand/face :evilgrin:

agurus1
22-03-2012, 07:04
amen brother! but its worth it, nothing says "I'm a badass" more than when my Colonel took off Abaddons' last wound with his plasma pistol!

Adra
22-03-2012, 08:52
Rhinos. I cant leave them alone. Maybe its because I played CSM for so long but I love Rhinos more than any other transport or offensive tank. Everytime I think about a new army, or help people build their own, I'm always moaning on about Rhinos.

insectum7
22-03-2012, 08:55
Tactical Squads always, always, always have a Lascannon. Always. Too many years with my primary opponent having Trucks or Raiders. Even a 1 on a Lascannon hit will affect the vehicle somehow. Also, scares Obliterators.

Also, never take Bikes of any sort.

Cthell
22-03-2012, 09:07
I never feel properly equipped unless I have my full-strength Dark Reaper Squad in my army list, no matter who I'm fighting.

It's probably due to the irrational hatred they inspire in my opponents ;)

jonthebetrayer
22-03-2012, 09:22
I always take Kharn and his merry band of 8 bezerkers, the skull champion will always have a plasma pistol and power fist (lets just hope he gets to attack before Kharn runs out of things to kill) ;)

gutsmaka
22-03-2012, 09:32
giving a warboss a twinlinked shoota, even though it makes no sence and has never done anything, gutsmaka has always had a TL shoota!

Dreadlordpaul
22-03-2012, 10:02
my archons bodyguard of ten incubi they always scare my opponents

Carlosophy
22-03-2012, 10:30
In 13 years as a Dark Angels player I have not once left home without my trusty whirlwind. Does it ever do much damage? No, but my opponents find it annoying to have a psychologically destructive 5" blast shot at them every turn from a tank they cannot see.

I do miss the days of the minefield variant. That was fun!

Gertjan
22-03-2012, 10:36
I always bring a squad of ratling snipers along. They are pretty much useless but I have so much fun trying to penetrate and blow up rhino chasis every single battle. Ofcourse in all the battles they appeared they only managed to do it 3 times but that doesn't stop my from trying, every battle again :D I love my tiny snipers...

librerian_samae
22-03-2012, 11:27
My trusty 5 man (will be six when I can be arsed to buy telion) metal scout squad consisting of;
2 bolters, 2 snipers and a heavy bolter.

They are just so useful, versatile and pretty much ignored, some examples of their awesomenss-

-they infiltrate to where you want for prime shooting or objective sitting.
-in dire need can outflank for some surprise
-when stood still can shoot already depleted squads or solos,MC's up good
-put a respectable amount of shots out when on the move
-ignored by my opponents for being to small to bother with
-are troops so can score
-small foot print so can easily hide in cover

Oh also plasma, I love plasma, always got to have more plasma :shifty:

igwarlord
22-03-2012, 11:37
My storm troopers!
Yes there I said it
I love my kasrkin.
They look like they are actually decked out for war and the Hellgun looks completely badass
I always take a couplein whatever list I have got going on at the time.
they are great at pissing off power armor since no body expects them

Oppressor
22-03-2012, 15:32
Hunter Killer Missiles.

They're only one shot, and probably either miss more often than they hit or the vehicle they're on gets popped before firing them, but there's something so appealing to me about having that extra missile shot on as many vehicles as I can to simply pound the hell out of my enemies that I can't stop taking them.

Chapters Unwritten
22-03-2012, 15:40
In every unit I take, I try to equip them with versatile weapons. A large part of this is because I love my Space Wolves and I love their fluff, so individuality is a big thing to me. Also, as strange as it may seem, outside of my troops I take zero redundant units. I would much rather have a chance to succeed in many situations, then an easy shot in one and a total fail in others. All my units have mixed weapons, and in my Grey Hunter squads I often have 5 out of 10 models carrying special equipment.

Sicarius the 2nd
22-03-2012, 15:49
My strange addiction..... Example I have to have symetry in my army list and even deployment, EVENif I know it's a bad decision I still do it all 10 years of my hobby life. Take my marine army for example, 3 squad of 10 man tactical marines all set up nice and neatley with the sergeant in the middle front row with the special weapon on the left and heavy on the right, p.s. the squads are always equipped exactly the same, I do not know versatility!
Andy

The Marshel
22-03-2012, 15:55
sternguard in a landraider, and i assault with them too! I love it, but i reckon half of warseer's tactics thread would cringe at it

TheDoctor
22-03-2012, 17:36
Howling Banshees. I always take howling banshees. Even in a corsair list, where they do not have Doom, or when I take dual autarchs, my fully painted/based/10 wo(man) unit is always in. The only time I don't take them is when I field pure footdar.

trigger
22-03-2012, 17:55
Sky claws , since there price drop 3rd-5th I just have to have them. They always die , quite quickly too , but they ate there in every list.

Chem-Dog
22-03-2012, 17:57
and the worst for last.... a Regimental Banner! Thats right, I'm a big boy! I have a flag!

That's fine, the Vostroyans have just about the most sexy-ass flag in the history of Bannerology. It might be cause for concern if you insisted on taking Platoon flags too....

My addictions:-
Ogryn, Love them despite how mediocre they've been for....ever.
Sentinels, Ever since the first plastic version was released. Also far from effective on the table.
These two are frequent inclusions either/and/or.

Primaris Psyker, Hang Over from 2nd Ed days when a Primaris Psyker was something of a hard-ass, I ran a Sanctioned Psyker with an Honorifica Imperialis when that was possible and now I run a Primaris Psyker in pretty much every battle, he Occasionally manages feats of awesome, when he isn't moaning about his headache or having nosebleeds .
Virtually every battle I play includes a Primaris Psyker now, my Renegade IG army is even build around the idea that the Psykers are in charge. If the CoCoSq wasn't so damn useful, I'd have 2 Psykers in the HQ section.

MajorWesJanson
22-03-2012, 18:05
I very rarely take a single vindicator. If I put one in a list, I tend to run 2 or 3 rather than just one.

Ozendorph
22-03-2012, 19:14
If I'm able to mount a heavy stubber somewhere, I do. And every time a hapless sternguard or necron warrior falls to the mighty stubber, it further reinforces this behavior.

Chapters Unwritten
22-03-2012, 20:43
I forgot to mention, I have one Lascannon Long Fang who has actually never successfully damaged a vehicle, ever. I've named him "Lucky."

Project2501
22-03-2012, 20:44
My strange addiction is 1 troops choice per 500 points. I don't know exactly how it started, or why it's so engrained in me, but I just cannot make a list or comfortably play a game with any less than 1 troops choice per 500 points.

wyvirn
23-03-2012, 00:23
I get itchy all over if I don't get a hit of the polymorphine every once and a while...

Really though, I think I use zoanthropes a bit more that I should. I think it was the first single model pack I bought.

Sgt John Keel
23-03-2012, 00:37
Probably lascannon armoured/closed top Sentinels for my Imperial Guard, unless I'm making a themed list or is optimising hard.

And Honour Guard for my Blood Angels. It just feels right.

v0iddrgn
23-03-2012, 00:51
I always go for the biggest gun in the codex. I can't help it. Even with my Tyranids army I had to have a Tyrannofex. In my Eldar army I had to have Fire Prisms and now I have Doomsday Arks for my Necrons.

Kado69
23-03-2012, 01:04
Meltaguns........ I seem to have them on everything possible! I have a ravenwing army that might as well be meltaguns on wheels! I got sick of not killing vehicles so put more in a list, now I just can't stop!

qsd
23-03-2012, 01:44
I must have a fix of massed plasma in my IG. Every list that has made it to the table contains a company command with 4 plasma guns and at least one plasmavet squad (preferably 2-3). And as much as I like my hydras/manticores/medusas, it doesn't feel quite right without an executioner. It's even spreading to my marines in the form of a plasma biker command squad.

I also have an addiction to vehicles. People assume I run full/primarily mech lists to follow the trend of 5th, but I was regularly jamming ~8 vehicles during 4th, and it's only grown larger with lower vehicle costs...

teheuax
23-03-2012, 02:41
Cronos parasite engine. I find it amazing and it makes it into my lists no matter what. I'm going to get him a brother soon I think.

Disturbed Frog
23-03-2012, 02:56
Taking hormagaunts over termagants because they look cooler.

Electricwizard
23-03-2012, 03:07
Every single squad in my horde of guardsmen has a meltagun. i repeatedly tell myself they will kill tanks and they do.... sometimes.....

Skits
23-03-2012, 04:06
My strange, guilty little addiction that I try to squeeze in wherever possible?

My Defiler. :( Or, when points permit, Defiler/Vindicator duo. ALL THE BIG GUNS.

Hicks
23-03-2012, 06:28
Units that are always in my lists, but maybe shouldn't:

Carnifex
Ratlings
CSM daemons
Iron Priest

Radium
23-03-2012, 08:20
Warp Spiders, Guardians and Wraithlords. Lists without these three just feel incomplete.

Gerod253
23-03-2012, 10:15
The humble Guardsman armed with a lasgun, bayonet and a k grenade.

It doesn't matter how many times I get by butt kicked on the table. I love fielding as many of these guys as possible. No other upgrades or weapons for my squads, except for banners and sometimes a Master of Ordinance. I'm even thinking of ways to build movement trays so that I can field more of them in higher point games. 2,000 pts of pure infantry running at the enemy from across the table is my idea of an awesome game.

Erzanj
23-03-2012, 11:19
Slaaneshii close combat Chosen. With a truck-load of power swords and some flamers.

I don't think they're ever going to achieve anything... but by the Prince, that makes for a badass looking squad of crazed swordsmen! I just hope the rumour of chosen retinue for Chaos characters in the next codex turns out true.

Monospot
24-03-2012, 01:06
Grot riggers. Seriously, I have trouble building an Ork vehicle without putting grots on it. It feels...wrong.

Droma
24-03-2012, 03:47
Terminators.

First game I ever watched a player deepstriked some terminators into his opponents backfield and it scared his opponent ********. After that the first army I started was Dark Angels just because I could make a deathwing force.

holtkmoq
24-03-2012, 05:34
Any chance anyone has seen a fantasy version of this thread?

Born Again
24-03-2012, 13:26
Hmm, my "strange addiction". I guess there are a couple.

All my Tau battlesuits have Blacksun Filters, always. My army is from D'Yanoi, a sept world that is locked in a state of constant twilight, so it seemed fluffy and they hardly eat up a lot of points. Has it ever done anything of any benefit in a game? Not that I can remember.

If there's points to spare, my ork trukks have rams on them. If there's not points to spare, I do whatever I can to make them spare :D There's very basic orky fun to be had in using your trukks as battering rams once the boyz have piled out. It has actually come in handy on a couple of occasions too.

Do Weirdboyz count? Not a "must have" for me, but I certainly take one if I can. Often overlooked, he has single-handedly won me the game as often as he's lost it!

My Plague Marine Champion always has a power weapon. Yes, fists are the more popular choice, but a power sword is (visually at least) the closest thing available to a plague sword.

yabbadabba
24-03-2012, 13:38
TLHB Razorbacks. I don't think I have taken a Marine army in a standard game without one since I first saw them. My army for the past couple of editions has had 4 of them (with 3 6 man tactical squads inside). I have lost a whole bucket of games but there is something tingly about putting them out on the table, than making tank noises! However now I cannot Min/Max I have been converting my Razorbacks to dual purpose so I can take a full tactical squad.

I also have a land speeder with a multi-melta that has killed less than a handful of things with the damn gun since I bought it (when they first released the plastic land speeder). Somehow it still keeps creeping into the list.

Oh and the other thing is on their rare appearances, Catachans with no vehicles (aside from Sentinels). It's butchery but I'd rather stick with the image of Catachans being pure, deep, jungle fighters.

Oppressor
24-03-2012, 15:33
I almost forgot, I always give my sgts powerfists. I know that they cost a ton and rarely get used, but I love knowing that they can wreck stuff and at least fight their way out of a bad situation... eventually...

samiens
24-03-2012, 17:41
I would second terminators- started off with Space Hulk and through imperial and chaos armies I just can't get enough of them- even my CSM have a cheap as chips 205 points squad that somehow never lets me down
Sent from my 7 Mozart using Board Express

blizzlord
25-03-2012, 14:27
Big, powerful models. Terminators, Titans... the like.

moovinfast
25-03-2012, 19:27
I also always give my Warboss a twin linked shoot. There is no reason for it since I never shoot it. I always run instead.

asphodel
25-03-2012, 19:41
For my IG:
- Plasma pistol and medic for company commander
- Counts-as ratling snipers, if only because the models look so wicked. Actually, based on performance, I'd say that was the only reason.
- Penal legion squad! Same reason as above (Cadian arms and torsos, with Catachan legs and heads = awesome), except they're actually pretty effective...sometimes.

Yoshidan
25-03-2012, 20:34
hmm I always give my Tau commander and Bodyguards fail-safe detonator hardly ever used by when it is its beautiful. :)

Eldoriath
25-03-2012, 20:46
Heavy stubbers for leman russes, they are just too damn good looking to pass up on.

Wildchild200
26-03-2012, 09:32
For my Space wolves, its Ragnar with 5 Wolf guard termies with dual claws in a Land raider redeemer. Bloomin' expensive but Its nasty when you roll a three for the units additional charge attacks. For my nids I always take 20 odd outflanking genestealers. Ahh the mess these guys make when they hit the right flank.

Johnmclane
26-03-2012, 10:14
Jetbikes a go go! Always cram in as many as i can, in both dark and craftworld eldar lists.

Even more i build my list with speed in mind. Don't like the feeling of not being able to deal with stuff because of lack of movement

Killgore
26-03-2012, 10:38
Jetbikes and marine bikes

My ulthwe eldar has access to 30 of them! Although I normally use 2 units

For my Black Templars I like to use my Powersword bikers, possibly one of the worse unit choices in the book, but I like the idea of space knights :D

My other unit of bikers with Meltas tend to do pretty good

loveless
26-03-2012, 14:24
Flamers. Any variety, any size, if it shoots out a template of cover-ignoring promethium-laced love, I tend to take it, no questions asked. Mind, this doesn't help much when everyone insists on riding in metal boxes of fireproof-ness.

Dreadnoughts are a second place item - they always seem to show up. I don't even think I know how to use them properly as they often explode gloriously, but I can't help but add in the big stompy robot things.

Damaged Dan
26-03-2012, 14:35
I don't think I could field a CSM army without my squad of Thousand Sons, especially since I painted up their own specific rhino (only assembled rhino I have, need more) and even more recently Ahriman (he may be an exile but lets just say a Prodigal Son managed to take a squad with him ;)) The aspiring sorceror will always take doombolt and bolt of change. I'm almost always facing space marines of some sort and this is just their perfect enemy with their AP3 bolters. Even against terminators, being slow and purposeful means that I can usually pack a heavy number of shots before they reach me. Even when they do, the TS can hold up your average termie squad due to the 4++. There have been occasions when a walker has got into combat with them though, so occasional the sorceror will have meltabombs too, just on the off chance I can blow that walker up for holding up my favourite unit :D

Might have to start using Plague Marines too since they are just as hard to kill (depends on who's doing the damage of course)

Sir_Turalyon
26-03-2012, 17:38
Metal Cadians. Every time I play my Guard, the minis I include first end up being metal Cadian Shock Troopers, with some plastic special weapon gunners. They form only 1/4 to 1/3 of my Guard infrantry collection, but other Guard minis (Plastic Cadians, Steel Legion, Catachans, Valhallans, Mordians, Tallarans, RT guard... most of them at small platoon strength) rarely see the light unless I invite someone for Guard vs Guard battle. Then they act as opponents for my metal Cadians.

adreal
27-03-2012, 00:33
Flickerfields and Night Shields

For twenty points to give poeple fits about killing a 10/10/10 open topped vehicle........yeah for sure

Also I usually need an archon of some sort, either my combat one or my blaster-con who trolls most of the game

I also like to have atleast three troop choice in my armies.....and most of them are the same (3 5 strong warriors squads in raiders with blasters, 3 6 strong jetbike squads, double cannons or 3 purifier squads 2 with 2 hammers, 4 cannons and 4 halbwers, 1 with 2 hammers and 8 halberds, 3 10 strong immortal squads)

Damaged Dan
27-03-2012, 00:40
Also, if I ever get round to fleshing out my Ork army (I just wanted to paint a few of the models to start with) I suspect I may end up taking at least one fully kitted out trukk. As far as I can make out, the majority of upgrades are not going to be that useful in your average game, but the representations of these upgrades just have that quirky nature which meant I had to put them on the model. :D

Flickerfields and Night Shields

For twenty points to give poeple fits about killing a 10/10/10 open topped vehicle........yeah for sure

Ditto

cerealkiller195
27-03-2012, 03:46
My love of RT/2nd ed models and rulebooks... In particular anything Orky from that era.

Dreadlordpaul
27-03-2012, 10:42
My archon is the ultimate troll he never fails his shadow fields

kirktheorc
28-03-2012, 05:23
I have two.

1) Powerfists! Sweet glorious powerfists. I play space wolves and I used to take as many as possible. Long fang sargents, Bikers and anyone who had the option got one, no matter how unlikely it was that they'd use it. In the old codex you could cram 3 powerfists into a 15 man Blood Claw unit. The idea of getting 12 S8 attacks on the charge was just too good to pass up. My first Wolf Lord (also my first conversion) had a powerfist holding a banner pole that he used to smite his enemies. I vividly remember him carving through a squad of necrons to claim an objective in my first tournament.

2) Dreadnoughts. Dreds still find their way into my lists all the time. Whenever I'm building a list and I've got my last couple hundred points I always take at least one Dred. They're big angry tanks that lumber along with my footsloggers. Plus they come standard with the coolest weapons in the game an assault cannon and a DCCW (basically an even bigger powerfist!)

DrDoom
28-03-2012, 14:31
Chaos Dreadnoughts. Yes they ocassionally evaporate something important, or charge that MC that tears them to pieces, but I just love the little guys. In a big Apocalypse game I'll take all of the ones I have and Flank March them into the enemy deployment zone. Its kind of like watching cats chase the dots from a laser pointer.

Gerod253
28-03-2012, 19:01
Chaos Dreadnoughts. ... Its kind of like watching cats chase the dots from a laser pointer.

You sir, have made me laugh.

I thought of something else I love. My original Grey Knights. The old metal terminator models led by my subtle conversion of the Stern figure. I don't play with them any more, but I love looking at them. Maybe I should finally give that new codex a spin...

Sqallum
28-03-2012, 20:02
Command Squad, with Champion and Flamer. Pure awesome. Also, dreadnoughts are a MUST :D
Sqallum

IcedAnimals
28-03-2012, 20:32
I always take a unit of retributors with heavy bolters. I know its not "optimal" to ever replace an exorcist. But they were my first unit I bought for my sisters. Just a bunch of girls with heavy bolters. So even during the witch hunter days I still usually had one unit of them. Oh and like many others i am guilty of taking plasma weapons. I have loved them for such a long time. It also helps that the default sister veteran in the boxed squads came with a plasma pistol. So I had an excuse to field them. (I want my model to be wysiwyg)

TheDoctor
28-03-2012, 22:25
I always take a unit of retributors with heavy bolters. I know its not "optimal" to ever replace an exorcist. But they were my first unit I bought for my sisters. Just a bunch of girls with heavy bolters. So even during the witch hunter days I still usually had one unit of them. Oh and like many others i am guilty of taking plasma weapons. I have loved them for such a long time. It also helps that the default sister veteran in the boxed squads came with a plasma pistol. So I had an excuse to field them. (I want my model to be wysiwyg)

But arent retributors with heavy bolters really good now? with their faith making their weapons rending?

althathir
28-03-2012, 22:58
Right now for my wolves I would say its my personal inability to have my army lead by wolf lord whose under 250 points, it just never seems to happen. For my Eldar I have to take at least a unit of banshees, or scorpions..... and fight the urge to use swooping hawks :(.

My strange addiction..... Example I have to have symetry in my army list and even deployment, EVENif I know it's a bad decision I still do it all 10 years of my hobby life. Take my marine army for example, 3 squad of 10 man tactical marines all set up nice and neatley with the sergeant in the middle front row with the special weapon on the left and heavy on the right, p.s. the squads are always equipped exactly the same, I do not know versatility!
Andy

My squads tend to have the same loadouts as well, and I also tend to try and make my lists fit center numbers (like I'll want 50 models exactly).

Chaos Dreadnoughts. Yes they ocassionally evaporate something important, or charge that MC that tears them to pieces, but I just love the little guys. In a big Apocalypse game I'll take all of the ones I have and Flank March them into the enemy deployment zone. Its kind of like watching cats chase the dots from a laser pointer.

I kinda want to repost this in the chaos legions thread and see what happens :shifty:.

metro_gnome
29-03-2012, 08:50
In trying to make a chaplin theme work (Mortifactors)... I always turn to Cassius...
he is value for a foot slogging chappy... T6, FNP, MC combi flamer w/hellfire and pistol...
for +25 points... but at the end of the day he is still a chappy...

chebba98
29-03-2012, 20:24
i almost always take a trygon prime in my tyranid army even if he doesnt always do that much, hes just my favorite model and i love how menacing he looks just popping up where ever i want.
in my necron army i just love my lychguard with shields and you would be surprised how much damage shields do sometimes.

Beppo1234
29-03-2012, 23:40
every marine, Chaos or loyalist, must be fully geared out... all belt/waist areas must be completely full with either ammo bags, extra weapons, grenades, pistol holsters, and trophies

Pooky
30-03-2012, 00:16
Is it WH anon meeting?

Pooky: Hi, my name is Pooky and I have an addiction.
WS: Hi, Pooky!

My addiction is that I always picture myself as the HQ in the army I am building/ painting/ playing. I always try to make every little aspect about the model to what I would consider myself being if I were the model. In other words, I try to make the model quite personal for me. Everything from the bits used to build it, the models stats/ abilities, colours used during painting, painting style/ quality.

Perhaps this addiction is quite egotistical of me... But when I first got into the hobby a few editions ago, one of the first things I ever read in the BRB was that the HQ in the army is meant to represent YOU on the board. That really stuck with me. In addition the HQ is usually a center piece for the army, and not just some rank and file trooper, so people usually put some extra effort to make their HQ look quite good.

Beppo1234
30-03-2012, 00:59
Is it WH anon meeting?

Pooky: Hi, my name is Pooky and I have an addiction.
WS: Hi, Pooky!

My addiction is that I always picture myself as the HQ in the army I am building/ painting/ playing. I always try to make every little aspect about the model to what I would consider myself being if I were the model. In other words, I try to make the model quite personal for me. Everything from the bits used to build it, the models stats/ abilities, colours used during painting, painting style/ quality.

Perhaps this addiction is quite egotistical of me... But when I first got into the hobby a few editions ago, one of the first things I ever read in the BRB was that the HQ in the army is meant to represent YOU on the board. That really stuck with me. In addition the HQ is usually a center piece for the army, and not just some rank and file trooper, so people usually put some extra effort to make their HQ look quite good.

I don't know if that's an addiction. I do it too... after all, the lead HQ in your army is YOU. Ever since I read that WD years ago, about the SW player who sculpted his commander with his own likeness, I've stuck to the concept. I always try to choose a head that is 'relatively' similar to me, and paint it with my skin tone etc. I've always felt that your commanding HQ should be you, the player, not some douche special character

Vet.Sister
30-03-2012, 11:41
But arent retributors with heavy bolters really good now? with their faith making their weapons rending?

Yes, they are.... as long as your opponent does NOT use a bunch of; A) tanks/transports, B) deepstrike or C) outflank... :shifty:

For me personally, I always liked to take Retributors with Multi-meltas! To this day, it has never worked out... :cries:

Dark Aly
30-03-2012, 12:01
Hi I'm Dark_Aly (shamelessly ripping off pooky :) )

My strange addiction is bikes. I have a Ravenwing army, a loyalist marine army with loads of bikes, an eldar army with jetbikes and vipers and trying to resist the temptation to start a cult of speed (at least as long as it takes me to get the missus an engagement ring anyway)

eldargal
30-03-2012, 12:36
Female general I have to have female general in my army or I won't bother. Female farseer, female inquisitor lord, female archon etc.

Also Howling Banshees, never ever leave these out of a list.

x-esiv-4c
30-03-2012, 12:41
I always have to have a unit of StuGs or Marders in my army. Soviets, have to bring along a pack of ISU-152s.

Spoik
30-03-2012, 12:49
Shooty Terminators. And more than that, I love to teleport them in.
For some reason, I remember the two or three times they've done something useful, and forget all the occasions they've demonstrated their woefully inadequate firepower, lack of pace and surprising vulnerability.

I also love dreadnoughts, and always include at least one in my marine lists, much like the Deff Dreads and Kans that always find their way into my Ork armies. Love that stompy goodness.
I will never, ever, under any circumstances, field a dread of any stripe without at least one close combat weapon. It doesn't matter how many people tell me that 37 autocannons are the way to arm them, the idea of a dread kicking his foes to death with his little stubby legs is just too silly for me.

Vipoid
30-03-2012, 15:53
I always try to fit a Tyranid Prime in my tyranid lists - he inevitably has dual-boneswords, ST, TS and regen.

Perhaps it's because I have a crappy Prime model that I'm strangely fond of. :P

I'm also working on a slightly better-converted one with lash whip and bonesword.

Black_Cat
30-03-2012, 16:18
Grot and Squig upgrades whenever possible...I just can't help myself!

Commandojimbob
30-03-2012, 17:03
For my Necrons (pre/post new codex) I always have to take a Destroyer Lord - something about an angry flying robut that hates "everything!" that really appeals.

For my Tau (poor Tau), I have to ..... HAVE TOO ..... take Shield Drones, I have always found them very useful!

For my Inquisition, even though they can be hit and miss, I just really like my 6 Pskers - a S8 AP1 large blast is always useful !

SODACANS
31-03-2012, 01:31
For my Tyranids it is always flying tyrant and lots of hormagaunts =)

Michael M.
31-03-2012, 06:56
Dreadnoughts! No SM army without at least 1 dreadnought. I have 24 of them for 5 armies. From the RT era peanut dread over 2nd Ed. to FW/GW

InquisitorBoreal
31-03-2012, 08:45
Chaplains.. Which, considering I mainly play CSM is kind of hard to play often, but I absolutely love the black armoured maniacs.

Infern0
31-03-2012, 11:29
I have one of the worst addictions of tooling my units too much.
My 10nobz are often at about 450pt on their own.
+ Deffkoptas, I use them as anti-tank, so I give them TLRL and buzzsaws.... 6 deffkoptas pimped up.. 450 pt gone..

I also take burnaboyz, even though they never do much

Glyn
31-03-2012, 14:04
core troops, lots of them....it seems to be my main addiction i try to squeeze as much into the main core troops of the army as I can at any expense to other parts of the army

Aliarzathanil
01-04-2012, 08:18
I straighten my paintbrush bristles in my mouth when I paint. In case anyone was curious, foundation paints all taste awful, bleach bone tastes the best. It's an odd habit and it gets looks when I paint around others.

As far as units go, I have a hooded Dark Angel Sargeant with a powersword that I really like. I pretty much always run him because he looks nice.

I also run Eldar guardians purely because I like the models.

eldargal
01-04-2012, 08:25
I do that too! Don't try it with washes, they are absolutely revolting.

Aliarzathanil
01-04-2012, 08:45
Yes, Devlan Mud is pretty gross. I once left the house with Dark Angels green paint on my lip, it was difficult to explain to a non-wargamer how something like that happens.

Shush
01-04-2012, 09:35
Yes, Devlan Mud is pretty gross. I once left the house with Dark Angels green paint on my lip, it was difficult to explain to a non-wargamer how something like that happens.

Haha! I've rushed out with one streaky thumb nail from paint :) I've never gone out with any on my face though! Completely agree about devlan mud and you just can't get the taste out your mouth too it is really horrible!

Gorbad Ironclaw
01-04-2012, 09:41
Not tried Devlan Mud, but it is funny when you start being able to recognise the paints by taste.

lordbeefy
01-04-2012, 17:56
I straighten my paintbrush bristles in my mouth when I paint. In case anyone was curious, foundation paints all taste awful, bleach bone tastes the best. It's an odd habit and it gets looks when I paint around others.

Hahaha, yes, the wife hates me doing it...she came in the other day and asked me if I had been painting (was supposed to be ironing), of course I reply no, without realising I have mithril silver on my lips....ooops, caught!

In terms of must haves....

Blood Angels...Baal Predator and CC Termies

IG...sentinels....as many as possible, I have 15 to choose from.

Space Wolves...thunderwolf cavalry since the models came out.

Orks...warbikes.

AL-PiXeL01
02-04-2012, 07:31
Hello, I'm PiXeL01 and although I play csm I always want to use my dreadnought and land raider simply because the consent of both is awesome and fun. I also have a thousand sons squad who always accompany my Alpha Legion army.

Freakiq
02-04-2012, 09:57
Blu-tacking my model together to find the optimal pose.
My model can spend months in a blu-tacked state and my bitzbox is filled with blu-tack and parts jumbled together.

Straightening brush-britles in my mouth is another curious habit.
Scab red tastes best by far, like fresh pine needles. :shifty:

Land Raiders always end up in my lists, even though Melta-spam makes it less than optimal they seldom let me down.

Vipoid
02-04-2012, 10:01
Blu-tacking my model together to find the optimal pose.
My model can spend months in a blu-tacked state and my bitzbox is filled with blu-tack and parts jumbled together.

:eek:

I'd thought I was the only one. :D

Phaeron Setek
02-04-2012, 13:01
I like to paint every part of a model before I assemble it. Thay, combined with multiple armies and very little time, means my hobby table is cluttered with tons of painted bits that have yet to be made into anything...

As for must-haves:
Marines - Devastators. Fourth ed, when I could field six squads in a custom army, made my day.

Eldar - Aspect Warriors. I do not have a single Gaurdian in my army... ever.

Dark Eldar - Warriors / Trueborn. I have a wierd distaste for wyches, and love the poison spam.

Necrons - Triarch Praetorians. People tend to think they are an over-costed waste, but I've had a unit of 5 with voidblades take out a hive tyrant in CC whilst suffering Paroxysm...

Vipoid
02-04-2012, 13:22
Necrons - Triarch Praetorians. People tend to think they are an over-costed waste, but I've had a unit of 5 with voidblades take out a hive tyrant in CC whilst suffering Paroxysm...

I think that's more of a testament to how bad the Hive Tyrant is. ;)

Mikial
02-04-2012, 23:13
I'm a member of plasma pistols anonymous too. Every IG officer who can have one, get's one. AND the Storm Trooper sgt . . . AND the vet squad sgt . . . and anyone else I can give one too. :D

Techboss
03-04-2012, 03:12
1) Anything less than I4 must have a powerfist. This is typically because they go after MEQs anyway, so might as well get my money's worth. I also tend to give marine I4 models fists as well. On the flip side, I5 or higher never takes something that lowers initiative, so no hammers or fists.

2) I sometimes have to take duplicates of squads. I have made a 1000 point list and just double it for 2000 points. Every unit had an identical sister unit. I still do this for at least half my army in a lot of cases.

3) I never field bikes for marines. I consider the units to not even exist.

spaghettyhoop
03-04-2012, 10:14
In my Dark Eldar I always field incubi with an archon. Even in small games if possible. I always have since the old codex, they are just an amazing unit (and I love the old models which I still use) The only difference now is that I used to run 7 + archon in a raider back in the old dex, but now I tend to find 4 + archon in a venom is enough.

My Red Scorpion marines, I tend to always get my plasma cannon devs in. 4 of them. A lot of games they dont do much, some games they blow themselves up, but some games they are amazing. In one, wiped out a deep striking blood angels assault squad with priest and HQ in it in a single volley. 12 models wiped out with very little effort!

Tyranids - Gargoyles. Every list has them in. A small unit of 10. They tend to get ignored by most players, but seeing them charge things like bloodletters and wipe them out is amazing. Obviously the gargoyles die too, but im happy to trade 80 points of upgraded gargoyles for 200+ of the enemies units, ha!

Hibropotamus
04-04-2012, 06:39
Tau sniper drones. Everyone I've ever played loves to tell me how rubbish they are but they're my favotite models and I can always find 80 points to sneak them in a list.

For SM it would have to be lc termies with a termie chap. If I write a SM list over 1000 pts I usually start with this squad and build the rest.

Dylius
04-04-2012, 19:47
My 10nobz are often at about 450pt on their own.
+ Deffkoptas, I use them as anti-tank, so I give them TLRL and buzzsaws.... 6 deffkoptas pimped up.. 450 pt gone..

I do the exact same thing with my Nobs and Flash Gitz... the cybork bodies look epic though! :)

mr_purple_9
04-04-2012, 20:59
For me it's my Twin-Lascannon and Missile launcher Dread for my Dark Angels. Got it in lead when the Angels of Death codex came out! (should see younger people picking up my dreads and seeing the reaction to the weight ;) ) It's abilities have changed but it still more than holds its own.

With a Vindicator and some Razorbacks the Dread can normally do some impressive things. It once killed an Autarch in CC on one hit (and failed armour save) due to instant death! So it's awesome in CC too ;P

brightblade
04-04-2012, 21:33
Striking Scorpions. It just does not feel right without them. :)

Or my Blood Angel Tactical Squad in a rhino with a Baal predator on the side. First things on the list.....

Or my Nurgle Sorcerer with nurgle's rot.....

Chaos Undecided
04-04-2012, 21:56
Having to have a Captain to lead my Space Marines into battle.

Always try to include at least one heavy weapons unit in my line up (Havoks, Devastators etc)

Very much a Dreadhead to love the big lugs no matter how mentally challenged they may be.

Vipoid
04-04-2012, 22:00

I'm with you on that one.

I'm forever spending too many points on individual models - especially HQs.

AL-PiXeL01
05-04-2012, 16:31
Could "always be playing fluffy and/or underdog armies" qualify as a strange addiction? I made my choice based on what I felt like playing and what wasn't popular nor overpowered.

Vipoid
05-04-2012, 20:57
Hmm, just thought of another one - Resurrection Orbs. I don't put them in every squad (or in small, inexpensive squads), but I do tend to put them in whenever I can. My Overlords almost always have res orbs, and if I'm using a SC without a res orb, then I try to ensure that one at least exists in the same squad as him.

Yeah... I like res orbs. :D

Orzel_Dragon
06-04-2012, 22:49
I think for me the strangest addiction is arming my units as was originally intended in Rogue Trader eg Marine Tacical Squads get a Missile Launcher and Flamer, Imperial Guard infantry squads get Lascannons and Grenade Launchers, Marine Devastator Squads have 2 x Missile Launchers and 2 x Heavy Bolters. What is even better is that my regular oppenents have learnt not to take the p[$$ out of these units any more :evilgrin:

As for individual armies, I always try and take my favourite converted/painted models
Inquisition - WH40k scale Inquisitor Covenant
IG - Penal Legion, Sentinels w/Autocannons and HK missiles, Master of Ordnance, Officer of the Fleet
Marines - Master of the Forge with Conversion Beamer
Space Wolves - Wolf Scout (with Boltguns) and Land Speeder Typhoon (from 3rd edition)
Eldar - Wraithlord w/Bright Lance & Starcannon (built from an old Spirit Warrior
Chaos Marines - Chaos Lord of Khorne w/Daemon Weapon.