PDA

View Full Version : New fantasy player! Goblin Help!

spaghettyhoop
25-03-2012, 23:01
Following on from a thread a month ago, ive now took the plunge and grabbed some fantasy stuff. I used to play back in 4th/5th ed, but havent since. Had a quick game at my local GW and now got the rule book and the O+G army book.

I want to do an all goblin army, after digging out a few old models, and some ebay shopping this is what I have so far.

45 Night goblin spearmen
70ish Night goblin archers
10 Spider riders
2 Night goblin bosses
2 Night goblin Shamans
3 Fanatics
2 Doom Diver Catapults
1 Troll
Arcnorok Spider

I Have a fair bit to spend, and to start with am going to get 3 more boxes of Night goblins so I have at least 2 big strong Melee Units. So my questions are....

Should I arm them with hand weapons or Spears?
Should I give the spider the web flinger, or make it a shaman mount?
After that, what else should I be looking at to make a fun but not awful army?

Thanks in advance dudes :)

swiftshadow14
26-03-2012, 07:46
My all goblin army at 1000 points does very well. Im tryn to field a 2500 point all goblin list but im at 2000 atm. The best buys for you will be goblin wolf chariots. they are simply awesome with str5+1 impact hits and can shoot and can be fielded in units of 3. this unit costs 50 points and always rocks. Next are pump wagons they are crazy and weird but are cheap and can dish out some damage with 2d6 impact hits. They are perfect for drawing fire of squishing softies like elves and they can shoot too :P. Next is a unit of regular goblins with short bows and shields. field this unit with 3 nasty skulkers and 2 heroes and you have a unit that can beat alot of stuff it shouldnt. That surprise tends to win alot of games. I take bows on almost everything because volley fire adds up and if you have gift of the spider god spell up then you can do alot of havoc. 7/0/0 with my 1000 point all goblin list :) We win cuz we is da tricksy gitz.
Also take the flinger. Its better to take a night goblin shaman than just a goblin shaman like what is required on the spider.
Dont take spears opt for bows or a hand wep/ shield for the parry save. 5 or 10 more goblin atks dont do much lol.
Just focus on flanks and have a BSB and GEN near your main blocks of gobbos or you will run all over the place.
Have fun because nothing is better then beating a cheezy dark elf list or mauruder list then looking up at your friend and saying "wow great game, but how on earth did you let an all goblin army beat you" then smile ear to ear.

Skarsnik, the Lord
26-03-2012, 08:45
Normally the equipment of choice for Night Goblins is the hand weapon + shield compo. 6+ parry save seems to be better than few extra Goblins trying to stab enemies with their puny Ws2 Str3 attacks. On the other hand, spears are not worthless. For instance, Malorian has shown O&G players that Night Goblin hordes with spears are great for holding up enemies while stabbing them with 40 attacks. This does not work too well unless you have huge units of Night Goblins (by huge I mean 60+ Night Goblins per unit), because the horde unit of Night Goblins is going to get wiped out fast if there's not enough greenskins in there. If you want fighty melee units, I'd go with spears. Add some Night Goblin Big Bosses with great weapons (no magic items or other equipment, just plain great weapons) and netters and you're ready to go.

I think both of the optional equipment things for the Arachnarock are bad. Flingers are normally avoided because the big spider cannot shoot from close combat or march and shoot. And when you're using a monster like this, you're almost always marching when you're not in close combat! The spidershrine isn't impressive either. It could be nice to have a Great Shaman with it on the spider, but that's lots of points and your Shaman is in huge danger. Cannons and such can snipe him from the top pf the spider, and when the spider enters close combat, everybody in base contact with the big spider can aim their attacks towards the Shaman. It's a kind of a paradox - you have a close combat monster who doesn't want to enter close combat if there's a Shaman riding it. :p Arachnarock with no equipment is okay. Nothing spectacular, but it works if you play aggressively enough with it.

Your model list looks pretty good. After you get some more Night Goblins you have lots of good things to go with. Make sure that one of your Big Bosses carry a battle standard. Rock Lobbers are good for a Goblin list, and some more Night Goblin Big Bosses with great weapons would be great. After all, Night Goblins are not very good at killing tough stuff, so having Str5-6 things like Big Bosses, Trolls and chariots are needed.

- Cheers, Skarsnik. /)

spaghettyhoop
26-03-2012, 21:30
Thanks for the advice, its really useful!

Ordered myself 2 Wolf Chariots today, didnt need much more persuading since I love the models anyway! Heh. I have 2 more questions!

Are squigs any good? I want to put some herders and hoppers in the army, just because the models look ace.

Am I reading the rules right, that goblin shamans can only use spells of the little waagh, and not any of the lores in the rule book?

I think thats everything, now im going to scour the internet for more goblin bargains!

Gooner
26-03-2012, 21:57
Yes squigs are great as a flanking unit. I wouldnt take any upgrades for the spider. Also you could look into a mangler squig.

IMO the key to winning with goblins is lots of characters, keep them cheap and simple with your general/BSB having a good deffence set up.

Wolf riders and chariots are great for your flanks and nets are just awsome.

Look into a regular rock lobba and maybe a pair of bolt throwers, they are so cheap and work every once in a while.

thesheriff
26-03-2012, 22:06
General consensus - Squig herds are good, Mangler squigs are great, Squig hopper?, not so much. Shane cus there so cool. People I know who use Squig herds just have the odd hopper sprinkled in there for looks.

Wolf chariots are great. 3 individual ones are great warmachine hunters, flankers and redurectors.

Goblin shamans can oly use little waagh, correct.

I would never take a shaman on Arachnarok. Too expensive, too little protection for the shaman.

Looking at your list, I would suggest a few things;

*A pair of bolt throwers. 70pts, one on each extreme flank can often get lick down flanks once the enemy close, and are cheap enough to be of no great loss.
*A goblin boss with some kind of huge banner. 70 Arxhers + Spider banner BSb + poison spell = pain. Consider the combo, not only is it potent for short range fire fights, 70 night goblins advancing is still 70 night goblins. Numbers can account for a lack of combat gear.
*Trolls. There your only decent combat unit svalbard thematically. Getting a decent unit of them is always smart.

thesheriff

spaghettyhoop
26-03-2012, 22:16
Ive took the advice and not bothered with the spider upgrades, if anything it makes it easier to paint! Heh.

Im going to get 3 river trolls, just because the new ones look ace and if they are good in combat, thats a bonus. I think them plus a couple of bolt throwers should leave me with enough to get started! I do love the idea of huge arrows blasting through ranks.

Couple of final questions.

Fanatics. I love them, its why I started gobbos. Should I max out three in each big melee uni, or just have 1 or 2 per unit?

And lastly, I want a few bosses with great weapons, but there is only a single metal model with that weapon. Is it possible to kit bash them with the night goblin kits like it is with marines in 40k etc, I dont like the idea of only having the one posed boss a few times in my army.

Sorry for so many questions, I always get excited when dropping a load of cash on a new army, and this is doubled with it been my first fantasy one :D

Duke Ramulots
26-03-2012, 22:20
River trolls are great, but use them in units of at least six if you want them to stay around for long.

Urgat
27-03-2012, 07:14
Spears for hordes, hand weapons for non-horde units.
River trolls work fine starting from 4 (with 4, for instance, you got a good chance to completely cripple a heavy cavalry unit in one turn, even if you take into account that one will always fail to wound - Murphy's law). 6 are even better, but a tad expensive.
For the bosses, get a few of the older plastic gobs and convert them with great weapons. They're much bigger than the current gobs and posable, they make great big/war bosses.
Even at low points, buy yourself a warboss. You're about the only one who can afford a lord w/o blinking, playing goblins is all about cheap stuff after all. Buy yourself a BSB, also. I'd suggest you get common gobs, give them bows and shields, pluck the BSB in there with the spider banner, but I can understand you don't want to buy the current common gobs, the models are really meh.

abdulaapocolyps
27-03-2012, 09:19
Hi all,just my 2 cents.
Normal gobbos are NOT a waste,the extra ld is a good thing.spears are also viable when you get poison or sneaky stabbing on units.magic is vital and I really like gobbos magic.
I play rather defensively with them,40 or so gobbo archers with bsb and spider banner is good.try to get the poison spell on em ,drop them into a bus when your about to be charged and have your bsb leave them for a fighter block if you get the chance.
Managers are a must...they eat WoC for breakfast!
Just my opinions guys,I'm no expert,but my main point I suppose is normal gobbos are ok in an all gobbo army. You don't need to waste points on loads of characters either as their ld is ok.

Skarsnik, the Lord
27-03-2012, 09:21
Couple of final questions.

Fanatics. I love them, its why I started gobbos. Should I max out three in each big melee uni, or just have 1 or 2 per unit?

And lastly, I want a few bosses with great weapons, but there is only a single metal model with that weapon. Is it possible to kit bash them with the night goblin kits like it is with marines in 40k etc, I dont like the idea of only having the one posed boss a few times in my army.

I think 0-1 Fanatics for each big melee unit is enough. It's better to get smaller units of Night Goblins, who are designed for delivering Fanatics. For instance, if you have two big melee units of speared Night Goblins, give them both one Fanatic. Then get two small units of Night Goblin archers (by small I mean min sized) who both have 2-3 Fanatics, and keep the units almost behind the melee units.

This way the melee units don't cost you a fortune. Also it's easier for the opponent to bait Fanatics out of the big melee units with chaff. If your Fanatics are in units behind your main line, it's almost always you who can decide when the Fanatics are released. After releasing the Fanatics try not to get the small units killed - even though they don't have Fanatics anymore, they can be easy points for your opponent!

Kit bashing your Big Bosses seems to be the best way. It's the cheapest way to get lots of different looking Big Bosses who also look good. Regular Night Goblin bodies with heads from the unit champions or Fanatics are a good base, then build a great weapon from something - it shouldn't be too hard if you use some imagination!

- Cheers, Skarsnik. /)

Yowzo
27-03-2012, 11:05
General consensus - Squig herds are good, Mangler squigs are great, Squig hopper?, not so much. Shane cus there so cool. People I know who use Squig herds just have the odd hopper sprinkled in there for looks.

The hoppers have basically one use left: warmachine protection, and skirmisher hunting. From time to time I use a 5-unit of them, and sometimes I put a boss on giant squig with them for good measure (mostly for the movement reroll).

Still, low initiative and relatively high cost means there are better options out there for the cost, and you don't even have support attacks from the squigs in the back, so it's useless to rank them.

Yowzo
27-03-2012, 11:06
Kit bashing your Big Bosses seems to be the best way. It's the cheapest way to get lots of different looking Big Bosses who also look good. Regular Night Goblin bodies with heads from the unit champions or Fanatics are a good base, then build a great weapon from something - it shouldn't be too hard if you use some imagination!

If you have spare fanatics, mount them on square bases and there you have it: a GW wielding night gobbo big boss :D

Gobbies
27-03-2012, 11:11
Buying the chariots was good option. Get a couple of spear chukkas and a couple of mangler squigs. Dont spend points to upgrade ur spider, just use him to hit flanks or to target opponents lords and heroes. Just aim all ur attacks on them, they'll usually fall. Lots of people love the pump wagon, so give that a look. Chariots, squigs, spider, big blocks of goblins, pump wagons.....ur opponent wont know what to hit

Hicks
28-03-2012, 01:18
For the bosses, get a few of the older plastic gobs and convert them with great weapons. They're much bigger than the current gobs and posable, they make great big/war bosses.

Stealing this idea! Hope they aren't too hard to find.

Urgat
28-03-2012, 17:21
There should be tons of them on ebay (talking about night goblins, right?). That being said, I'd go with a common goblins warboss for general, and, well, there's no "current scale" common goblins for now. I'm fine with my technic for common gobs because I don't use the current goblins for common gobs, I use older metal ones, which are the same size as the new forest and night gobs. Handy.

spaghettyhoop
28-03-2012, 17:28
Lotsa responses :D Thanks everyone, im getting a fair idea of how to go about this all now.

I havent yet bought any normal gobbos, but is it worth getting 20 and making the archers over night goblins just so I can take the spider banner? I only ask due to the fact ive got 70 night gobbo archers sat on my desk! Haha.

Also got myself a single spear chukka so far, and hunting for another (after the old metal ones).

I like the idea of old gobbos to kit bash my bosses, but due to the fact I have no idea what the old ones look like compared to new as ive never seen them, is there anything you can suggest I search for on ebay? As im a bit overwhealmed searching for "old warhammer goblins" by the results, haha!

Urgat
28-03-2012, 17:49
Those are the old, bigger plastic night goblins:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/warhammer-orcs-goblins-night-goblin-regiment-x-15-/150783881541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item231b6b7145#ht_500wt_1413 (http://cgi.ebay.fr/warhammer-orcs-goblins-night-goblin-regiment-x-15-/150783881541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item231b6b7145#ht_500wt_1413)
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Warhammer-Goblin-della-Notte-Night-Goblin-/270940838547?pt=Warhammer_e_War_Games&hash=item3f15551a93#ht_840wt_1397

Jind_Singh
28-03-2012, 17:58
Hey you!!!

First off well done for starting the best army in Warhammer!!! As a long time, and lucky, all Goblin player I've been having a lot of fun! I have found my optimal army to:

3 units of core Goblins - 50 strong per unit. I run:

45 Goblins, full command, bows, shields, 3 skulkers
49 Night Goblins, spears, command, netters, 1 fanatic
48 Night Goblins, hand weapons/shields, netters, 1 fanatic

I find that 50 works just fine - 5 wide for Night Goblins, 7 wide for the Goblins, 50 absorbs enough damage and still be effective by the end of the game. I don't think anymore are needed than 150 core Goblins - which is a lot.

Their job is to transport, in safety, my characters - the Shaman skulks in the spears, the Warboss/BSB go with the Gobbos, the Night goblin Warboss/big boss hang out with the h/w & shield Night Gobbos.

But these guys alone don't do it - so then I add in distractions:

2 wolf Chariots
5 Squig Hopppers & Big Boss
15 Squigs, 10 Herders
2 Spear Chukkas
Giant
Massive spider
5 spider Riders

Whose sole role in life is to take spells/missile damage/war machines to keep my 3 blocks alive long enough to engage the enemy and crush them!

From experiance I have found the general rules of thumb are:

1) Goblins work best in units of at elast 50 strong, with 1-2 combat characters per block to make them really effective.
2) Goblins NEED magic to get the upper hand - more so than other armies - so Little Waaagh is very powerful when applied well
3) A single level 4 is often more than enough, grab a level 2 if needed, I personally like the risk associted with the Night Goblin shamans!
4) SQUIGS are were it is at - Squig Herds are just epic and the opponent will do all kinds of things to either avoid these hard hitters or destroy them - so they are great! Just don't expect them to live!
5) Mangler Squigs are awesome - but again only the 1st time - as after that the enemy players will dedicate time & resources to killing them - which is great as it means they won't be using those resources to hurt your army!
6) Leadership is always going to be an issue, as is animosity - just accept it as a part of life and move on, you'll be much happier and a better player for it!
7) Monsters are huge (literal sense and gaming sense) and I've had nothing but success running a Giant and the Aracnharok Spider!
8) Crush all your enemies without pause!