PDA

View Full Version : Ive seen the light! (lizardmen)

MOMUS
26-03-2012, 19:26
Light i choose you!

So this is a twin list for a upcoming tournament which requires 2 games at 2000pts and two games at 2400pts.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?331470-Axes-Fall-WHFB-1-dayer-23rd-June-Bristol-UK

2400pts:

Light slann, BSB, +1PD, Becalming cogitation, plaque of extra spell

Scar vet, cold one, LA, charmed shield, dawnstone, burning blade

Scar vet, cold one, LA, GW, dragonhelm, amulet of Itzl, firefly venom

Priest, D.scroll

30 saurus, command

29 saurus, command

32 skinks, 4 krox, musician, banner

10 skink skirmishers

3 terradons

5 camo skinks

1 salamander

1 salamander

1 razordon

1 razordon

2000pts:

Light slann BSB, +1PD, Soul of stone, plaque of extra spell

Scar vet, cold one, LA, charmed shield, dawnstone, burning blade

Scar vet, cold one, LA, GW, dragonhelm, amulet of Itzl, firefly venom

Priest, cube of darkness

6X10 skirmisher skinks

2X10 cohort skinks (with musicians)

2X3 terradons

2X5 camo skinks

salamander

2 salamander

1 razordon

1 razordon

SoulGlaive
26-03-2012, 22:29
OK ill chime in as i play against lizardmen fairly regularly.

Personal experience id lose the razordons all round ... unfortuanitly they just dont work as intended and using those points elsewhere, even just on more skinks provides a more worthwhile investment, if their chameleons even more so (annoying little buggers)

otherwise i love the first list, great synergy and its the type of lizardmen list i enjoy facing the most. Slann life deathstar gets old quick; this sort of set up is much more entertaining and tactical.

The second list i dont think light is the best choice of lore on the slann. I find light really makes saurus blocks and skrox units amazing, but doesnt do all that much for skinks alone. maybe Shadow or metal ... hard to say.

Otherwise i like where your heads at.

MOMUS
27-03-2012, 07:07
OK ill chime in as i play against lizardmen fairly regularly.

Personal experience id lose the razordons all round ... unfortuanitly they just dont work as intended and using those points elsewhere, even just on more skinks provides a more worthwhile investment, if their chameleons even more so (annoying little buggers)

otherwise i love the first list, great synergy and its the type of lizardmen list i enjoy facing the most. Slann life deathstar gets old quick; this sort of set up is much more entertaining and tactical.

The second list i dont think light is the best choice of lore on the slann. I find light really makes saurus blocks and skrox units amazing, but doesnt do all that much for skinks alone. maybe Shadow or metal ... hard to say.

Otherwise i like where your heads at.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Yea i play life currently (with southlands list) and want something more tactical. Regarding razordons, they are intended as lethal speebumps and to scare ogre players. Basically i can pick on a unit and the place the razordon in front of it to finish it off before it can charge anything else.

Shadow was my original choice but then the more i looked at light the more i liked it (hence the title), shadow without loremaster is a waste as some of the spells dont fit. Withering is amazing with sallies, but pendulum you get a LOS against, mindrazor=useless, miasma is good at reducing movement as my list is so quick but light has net which does the same thing but makes the enemy pay for it with damage, PoS is good but scatter means i run the risk of it hitting my own units as im likely to be surrounding the enemy quickly.
My favourite spells for light are banishment, net and timewarp. The other benefit is that when playtesting im only using one lore so i can get to know it inside out.

ewar
27-03-2012, 17:19
Nice lists, look fun to play but I definitely agree with soulglaive that light is useless on the second list. Just have a think about the spells and what you would cast them on - bironas and SoL are wasted, net is ok and then you have two MMs. Shadow is definitely the way forward for a skink list, with 5 spells you have >90% chance of picking what you want too.

I'd also take be calming over soul of stone, as the utility is so much greater generally. Plus taking a miscast on the chin is good for the soul I think(even if I don't look like I think that when it happens to me!)

MOMUS
27-03-2012, 19:38
Nice lists, look fun to play but I definitely agree with soulglaive that light is useless on the second list. Just have a think about the spells and what you would cast them on - bironas and SoL are wasted, net is ok and then you have two MMs. Shadow is definitely the way forward for a skink list, with 5 spells you have >90% chance of picking what you want too.
I'd also take be calming over soul of stone, as the utility is so much greater generally. Plus taking a miscast on the chin is good for the soul I think(even if I don't look like I think that when it happens to me!)

I would maybe agree with you on the soul of stone issue, i will need to playtest it.

As for shadow, it seems great but is a bit of a hit or miss lore when used with this list.

Attribute: Good for getting the slann around, easily done with a priest but unlikely to be used more than once in my list
sig: Good for halting movement and letting my army slip around, maybe BS so i dont get shot much
1: 5+steed, good for moving slann but i already have the attribute so useless
2: 10+enfeeble, useless as i dont want to get in combat
3: 13+withering, excellent with sallies
4: 13+pendulum, pretty lame as you get a LOS against it - good gainst ogres
5: 14+PoS, good but scatter likely to hit my own troops who will be standing right up your... blowpiping you to death.
6: 18+Mindrazor, not great on lizardmen

Attribute:+D6 damage against daemons and undead, i bet both will be in the tourny
sig: 5+good magic (flaming) missile, options to boost strength, good against monsters and that pesky HPA
1: 6+Pha's, good, -1 to hit via shooting and combat, great as most skinks are skirmish, can be boosted to bubble
2: 8+spped of light, great on my scar vets, can be boosted to bubble
3: 9+light of battle, pretty meh with my whole army coldblooded
4: 10+net, great and halting movement like miasma, but inflicts damage aswel
5: 10+banishment, good magic missile 2D6, reroll ward saves, can be boosted
6: 12+Timewarp. great on scarvets, can be boosted

I included the casting levels as they really come into play aswel. My slann can just do more with light, i can have my cake and eat it. I can protect, shoot and buff my combat kings.

ewar
27-03-2012, 21:22
I would maybe agree with you on the soul of stone issue, i will need to playtest it.

As for shadow, it seems great but is a bit of a hit or miss lore when used with this list.

Attribute: Good for getting the slann around, easily done with a priest but unlikely to be used more than once in my list
sig: Good for halting movement and letting my army slip around, maybe BS so i dont get shot much
1: 5+steed, good for moving slann but i already have the attribute so useless
2: 10+enfeeble, useless as i dont want to get in combat
3: 13+withering, excellent with sallies
4: 13+pendulum, pretty lame as you get a LOS against it - good gainst ogres
5: 14+PoS, good but scatter likely to hit my own troops who will be standing right up your... blowpiping you to death.
6: 18+Mindrazor, not great on lizardmen

Attribute:+D6 damage against daemons and undead, i bet both will be in the tourny
sig: 5+good magic (flaming) missile, options to boost strength, good against monsters and that pesky HPA
1: 6+Pha's, good, -1 to hit via shooting and combat, great as most skinks are skirmish, can be boosted to bubble
2: 8+spped of light, great on my scar vets, can be boosted to bubble
3: 9+light of battle, pretty meh with my whole army coldblooded
4: 10+net, great and halting movement like miasma, but inflicts damage aswel
5: 10+banishment, good magic missile 2D6, reroll ward saves, can be boosted
6: 12+Timewarp. great on scarvets, can be boosted

I included the casting levels as they really come into play aswel. My slann can just do more with light, i can have my cake and eat it. I can protect, shoot and buff my combat kings.

I don't disagree, however I really think you're overestimating how much of an effect light will have on that skink list. Try them both out, but those buff spells are going to be wasted,on just the vets and no skilled player is going to shoot at skinks, so phas is a waste too. Literally the only spells I think you'll get any mileage from are the missiles and that list already does a lot of ranged damage.

A toughness debuff will be killer for that list, or as soulglaive mentioned metal would also be great. You'll have problems with armour, so the sig would be very handy.

MOMUS
28-03-2012, 05:42
I don't disagree, however I really think you're overestimating how much of an effect light will have on that skink list. Try them both out, but those buff spells are going to be wasted,on just the vets and no skilled player is going to shoot at skinks, so phas is a waste too. Literally the only spells I think you'll get any mileage from are the missiles and that list already does a lot of ranged damage.

A toughness debuff will be killer for that list, or as soulglaive mentioned metal would also be great. You'll have problems with armour, so the sig would be very handy.

I often see metal and light used in double slann lists but im not ready for two frogs, at the moment.

ewar
28-03-2012, 06:55
Yeah, I've seen the lists but never seen it in action. Personally I'm not sold on the idea of two frogs, it's a crazy amount of points to spend just to get access to a second lore and I often find my lone slann runs out of dice well before he runs out of spells.

Anyway, I'd be very interested to hear how you get on at the tournament.

What are your plans for dealing with armour in the skink list? I think dwarfs will be tricky (always are for LM), warriors and ogres will all give you a headache.

MOMUS
28-03-2012, 16:06
Yeah, I've seen the lists but never seen it in action. Personally I'm not sold on the idea of two frogs, it's a crazy amount of points to spend just to get access to a second lore and I often find my lone slann runs out of dice well before he runs out of spells.

Anyway, I'd be very interested to hear how you get on at the tournament.

What are your plans for dealing with armour in the skink list? I think dwarfs will be tricky (always are for LM), warriors and ogres will all give you a headache.

Luckily nobody plays dwarves ;) no actually they are a very bad match up for me esp with an anvil, warriors will be my main warm up opponents list so hopefully will get to learn them inside out, ogres i know quite well (even though i recently lost badly to them:o) i would kill the ironblasters and sabretusks and then drive the scarvets into any leadbelchers, earn myself 200+ VP and then stay the hell away from his big blocks! :D

Thats my usual tactic for any bad match ups, kill the easy points and avoid. I might get a game in tonight...