PDA

View Full Version : Sense Check this storyline...

madd0ct0r
27-03-2012, 08:22
In the shallows of the Eye of Terror lies the Daemonworld of Ddywensac. A dark and fearful place, the planet is one of the Heretek Forges, trading weapons and demon engines to all factions in return for resources and security.
Historically, the centre of this activity is the spires of Hive Usk, where the current Dark Magos controls the flow of energy and souls through her domain. Rebellions and schisms are common. A minor faction have taken control of the Stygian Canyon Manufactorii, exploring the effects of weaker binding upon demon engines. This horrendously unstable research has been banned, with the practitioners moving to outright rebellion. This could be framed as a philosophical debate within the Dark Mechanicus, albeit one that will shape the future of warfare for many systems around it.

Both sides are racing to complete and unleash as many super heavy demon engines as possible. The rebels have enlisted the cultist surface tribes to swell their numbers, whilst the Magos has requested the aid of a chaos titan legion in return for a base on the planetís moon. The Titan Legion has landed but seems to treat both sides in the conflict with equal contempt.

The Ordo Malleus is also increasingly concerned about the creation of unbound demon engines and proposes a strike raid into the Eye of Terror itself, aiming to eliminate the rebels and ensure the remaining factions are unable to consolidate in victory.
Inquisitorial Stormtroopers and a Penal legion would be the main assets spent.

Would the Grey Knights commit to such a foolhardy suicide mission?

Satan
27-03-2012, 08:46
In the shallows of the Eye of Terror lies the Daemonworld of Ddywensac. A dark and fearful place, the planet is one of the Heretek Forges, trading weapons and demon engines to all factions in return for resources and security.
Historically, the centre of this activity is the spires of Hive Usk, where the current Dark Magos controls the flow of energy and souls through her domain. Rebellions and schisms are common. A minor faction have taken control of the Stygian Canyon Manufactorii, exploring the effects of weaker binding upon demon engines. This horrendously unstable research has been banned, with the practitioners moving to outright rebellion. This could be framed as a philosophical debate within the Dark Mechanicus, albeit one that will shape the future of warfare for many systems around it.

Both sides are racing to complete and unleash as many super heavy demon engines as possible. The rebels have enlisted the cultist surface tribes to swell their numbers, whilst the Magos has requested the aid of a chaos titan legion in return for a base on the planet’s moon. The Titan Legion has landed but seems to treat both sides in the conflict with equal contempt.

The Ordo Malleus is also increasingly concerned about the creation of unbound demon engines and proposes a strike raid into the Eye of Terror itself, aiming to eliminate the rebels and ensure the remaining factions are unable to consolidate in victory.

Sure. To be frank it's hardly any worse than the treatment they've been given in the fluff so far. Might be they've got some unique Archeotech weapon to use against their opponents seeing as how they odds are stacked against them?

Aliarzathanil
28-03-2012, 06:47
It's a very solid start. What is this background for? Is it the basis of an army or just short story? It could be the framework for a doleplay campaign. Anyway, some questions/suggestions:

Name the dark Magos unless her identity is completely unknown, which is unlikely. People that run planets tend to get their names out there.

Why is the forgeworld just now seen as a problem; did something change or does a farsighted inquisitor see a rebellion as a way to destroy the forge? Perhaps covert support of this group, however distasteful, is key.

madd0ct0r
28-03-2012, 15:54
storyline would be for a supplement for epic-armageddon, showcasing the various armies mentioned.

TBH, I'm not sure the inquisition would be entirely decided on that issue - different factions may asssess the risk differently. The world is important the same way Vraks is - loss of it may reduce available firepower and reinforcements for the rest of the 'sector' by some 2-4%.
With the powers as finely balanced as they are, this could prove critical.

Chem-Dog
28-03-2012, 16:09
Reads fine to me. Something about the name Ddywensac made me think it was a word joke, but I can't make anything out of it....

I say we take of and nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure ;)

Theocracity
28-03-2012, 18:34
That's good stuff! I like it. I'd note that the Ordo Malleus had better keep a close watch on those Penal Legionnaires - they're being sent because they're expendable, and some of them might take the opportunity to go rogue (or just go mad on their own, weak souls that they are). Not that I'm too worried about an Inquisitor's ability to enforce discipline :).

As for the Grey Knights, I don't think they'd bother themselves with the minor battles. They're the type to teleport straight into the heart of the enemy and decapitate its leadership or cripple its source of power. I think they'd be likely to strike surgically against the various factions, neutralizing the Titan Legion or unbalancing the power of the Dark Mechanicus so they don't get the upper hand once the rebels are neutralized.

And of course, after everything hits the fan, they'll do the final cleanup work.

Good luck with the game - the story sounds like a ton of fun!

Aliarzathanil
28-03-2012, 18:55
Oh, I had assumed the world was already quite lost to the Imperium.

endless
28-03-2012, 19:12
I like the set up, but how do the Inquisition know what's going on within the Eye in such detail? Added to that, surely the Eye is incredibly difficult to navigate, how do the Grey Knights get there?

edit:even in the shallows? How 'shallow' is the planet?

AlexHolker
28-03-2012, 19:55
Hold on, how is weaker bindings on daemon engines a bad thing? Doesn't that mean more heretics getting eaten by their own out of control monsters? Why would the Ordo Malleus send Grey Knights into the Eye, giving the two factions (and the Chaos Titans) a common enemy instead of just sitting on the sidelines eating popcorn as the forces of Chaos destroy one another?

Theocracity
28-03-2012, 20:27
Hold on, how is weaker bindings on daemon engines a bad thing? Doesn't that mean more heretics getting eaten by their own out of control monsters? Why would the Ordo Malleus send Grey Knights into the Eye, giving the two factions (and the Chaos Titans) a common enemy instead of just sitting on the sidelines eating popcorn as the forces of Chaos destroy one another?
M
If the powerful out of control monsters destroy their creators, the Inquisition still has to deal with said powerful out of control monsters. An arms race between two Chaos factions is just going to generate even more, and more powerful, out of control monsters for them to deal with. Better to strike and remove the threat, even if it indirectly benefits an enemy, than allow it to fester and get worse.

Besides, if the Inquisitor plays his cards right and has GK support, he might be able to kill two birds with one stone. Chaos-tainted birds and a stone of holy vengeance, of course :D

AlexHolker
28-03-2012, 21:04
If the powerful out of control monsters destroy their creators, the Inquisition still has to deal with said powerful out of control monsters. An arms race between two Chaos factions is just going to generate even more, and more powerful, out of control monsters for them to deal with.
It's the Eye of Terror. If daemons get loose there the Inquisition doesn't have to deal with it, because it's the Eye of Terror.

The forces of Chaos are playing hot potato with a hand grenade in their own house. No matter who loses, the Imperium wins.

Theocracity
28-03-2012, 22:25
It's the Eye of Terror. If daemons get loose there the Inquisition doesn't have to deal with it, because it's the Eye of Terror.

The forces of Chaos are playing hot potato with a hand grenade in their own house. No matter who loses, the Imperium wins.

He specified the shallows, which implies that there's the potential for the danger to spill over to non-EoT planets located nearby. The Dark Mechanicus may be happy to rule over their little planet and build their machines, but powerful unbound demon engines could potentially spark a rampage.

You could potentially argue that the EoT doesn't really have 'shallows' - else the Cadian Gate wouldn't be nearly as important - but I think it's a minor quibble that doesn't really impact the story. It could be justified, or even relocated to a different Warp anomaly without any sweat.

Chem-Dog
29-03-2012, 02:01

Yeah, me too.

I like the set up, but how do the Inquisition know what's going on within the Eye in such detail?

If you're not read in, you REALLY don't need to know ;)

Seriously though, you've got an organisation that has all kinds of super special agents, mystical scrying equipment and ancient arrangements with shady groups, I'd be more surprised if they didn't know.

Added to that, surely the Eye is incredibly difficult to navigate, how do the Grey Knights get there?

In their state of the art space ships fitted with state of the art gear and piloted by the creme dela creme crews.

Hold on, how is weaker bindings on daemon engines a bad thing? Doesn't that mean more heretics getting eaten by their own out of control monsters?

Because you THEN have incredibly powerful and well fed out-of-control monsters on your doorstep. Additionally, it's potentially a field of study that would bear significant fruit in some way or another.

You could potentially argue that the EoT doesn't really have 'shallows' - else the Cadian Gate wouldn't be nearly as important - but I think it's a minor quibble that doesn't really impact the story. It could be justified, or even relocated to a different Warp anomaly without any sweat.

Look at the various pictures, the Cadian gate extends almost into the heart of the Eye, that's why it's so important. It's already established that the Eye fluctuates, so even if "shallow" means sometimes in/sometimes out rather than semi-immersed it's still valid as a comparative value. To me it says liveable but don't expect your children to be born without extras, the sort of place people who like to mess with Warp power/Technology hybrids would probably like to hang out....

madd0ct0r
29-03-2012, 04:07

it is - i should have suggested it as the dark mirror of Vraks - destruction of the world's resources means 2-4% less supplies being funnelled to the CHAOS worlds around it.

the world is intended to be a full blown demon world - albeit with stable areas under mechanicus dominion.

as for location - umm, 'shallows' was a bit of a weasel way out of it, but it needs to be a little behind the front lines as a support planet. anyother warp anomamly suggested?

endless
29-03-2012, 09:13
chem dog, 'just because...' may be good enough for alan merret but the op asked for sense... :p

maddocter, why would the imperium be involved at all? now the eldar...

madd0ct0r
29-03-2012, 15:40
The imperium dosen't have it be involved - but i wanted it to be more then just different Chaos factions facing off. There's two eldar lists in supplements already, although I suppose they could be brought in.

I thought Eldar+eye of terror = a rapidly dead pointy ears?

Chem-Dog
29-03-2012, 17:01
as for location - umm, 'shallows' was a bit of a weasel way out of it, but it needs to be a little behind the front lines as a support planet. anyother warp anomamly suggested?

Well, if the Dark Mechanicus are involved it could be Chaos "fallout" from their work, you can't have a production line of Daemonic entities being installed to big machines without eroding the veil between the material realm and the warp.
It could be a deliberately occult action to twist the planet's fabric to suit the DM's purposes more, perhaps a device or a network thereof create a localised destabilisation allowing comparative ease of Daemonic summoning. A "chained" warp-rift that provides power and a regular supply of Daemonic "recruits". Equally it could be a "normalisation" effect which acts as a barrier to the worst extremes of warp exposure.

Full mad scientist mode, you should have a name for such a device or protocol.
Something Empyrean Veil Ionisation Labyrinth, or Warp Oscillation Engine, but less corny. Failing that pick suitable name from mythology to give the thing, Something like the "Nyx Engine" or the "Apate Protocols".
So yeah, if the shallows of the EoT are something that gives you trouble (though I see it as legit enough, it's an overlap there's bound to be a weakening of effect the further you are from the centre) blame it on the Daemon-smiths themselves.
Try to squeeze the word Flux in there's somewhere too, proper mad science loves the word. :D

TheSaylesMan
29-03-2012, 18:13
The events make plenty of sense within the Eye of Terror. I imagine that is how Hereteks interact with each other all the time. However, I don't see how the Inquisition knows about this. I thought that it was notoriously hard to scry into the Eye of Terror? Also, there's only one stable way into the Eye of Terror and just like how the Imperium has Cadia, I imagine that the forces of Chaos within the Eye has its own staging ground on that channel as well. It is certainly possible to get in and out of the Eye in small numbers without going past Cadia but it is ridiculously hard. Would the Imperium really risk the resources needed to go into the Eye of Terror? It has to be one of the best ships they have to offer, one of the best Navigators they have to offer, a heavily indoctrinated crew to resist the effects of being in the Eye of Terror plus the Grey Knights themselves. That's a lot of time and effort wasted if they accidentally careen into a semi-real ice burg of warp stuff. Those resources would be better put to defending the Imperium after the Chaos fleets have exited the Eye. The thing is, Heretek forges are ALWAYS making newer, more dangerous technology infused with the raw stuff of the Warp. That is their credo. The very reason they rebelled from the Mechanicus was because they were too hidebound and they wanted to have freedom to innovate. You just have to assume that they are always building new weapons of war. Them making even more potent daemon engines means jack squat to the Imperium if they don't have the logistics to brings those weapons outside of the Eye. That's why Abbadon is so scary. He can get all the assets Chaos has to stopping blowing each other up long enough to make a force that won't get dismantled by the Imperium.

The idea does have merit however with some small adjustments. You need the Hereteks to innovate something that is a game changer for the Imperium to risk sending assets into the Eye. I would suggest that the Hereteks have invented some way to make temporary currents out of the Eye that they can travel. That would certainly get the Inquisition scrambling. If that technology were to be disseminated throughout the Eye than the Forces of Chaos could potentially launch fleets from anywhere. So, this entire Heretek civil war? Make that a consequence of some Forge managing to punch through the Eye of Terror. They all get so riled up about the prospect of raiding the Imperium that each individual forge with their own doctrines is attempting to conquer the rest of them to launch a proper fleet. The Inquisition sees this because the hole they punched in the Eye allows their seers to peek into it. So the Inquisition must scramble the most capable strike force they can muster to obliterate this world before the forces of Chaos at large take note and begin their own mad dash to rush a part of space without the fortifications of Terra. For the Inquisitorial forces being sent it is a suicide mission. They have no guarantee that they will ever return from this mission. Success means that the forces of Chaos won't be able to get their talons into the soft underbelly of the Imperium.

madd0ct0r
30-03-2012, 15:00
that's an intresting take on it thesaylesman, but I think I might go with Chem-dog's suggestion as less destablising of the established universe.

(It also helps the Dark Mechanicus list was nickamed the 'Stygian Abyss' - now I know what that abyss will be ;) )

Shamana
01-04-2012, 09:57

I think they would. The thing is, if this planet IS a full-blown daemonworld (and not just a warp-leaking ****hole like most planets on the edge of the EoT), it's debatable how useful any other troops will be. Actually, since the Dark Mechanicus seems to be running the show, I would imagine the world to be one of the more stable ones in the Warp - else it might not even support human population. Aren't daemonworlds the planets that have completely gone haywire?

Chem-Dog
01-04-2012, 16:45
Aren't daemonworlds the planets that have completely gone haywire?

Classically speaking, A Daemonworld is one that is entirely governed by the whim of a Daemonprince, lakes of boiling blood, inverted waterfalls of acid, plains of bones, forests of sentient hair...whatever goes. A Daemonprince who's partial to being worshipped, or perhaps with an agenda that requires a legion of followers/slaves would be pretty hellish but not so much so that it wouldn't be inhabitable.
Of course, what's "habitable" and what's "comfortable" aren't necessarily closely linked.
So one could argue that the Dark Mechanicus are operating on a fully-fledged Daemonworld, they could be doing so with the express consent of the ruling "power" (perhaps in exchange for a share in the tech) or they might even be able to command their own Daemonprinces.