PDA

View Full Version : Archaon the Everchosen

MyNameDidntFit
27-03-2012, 13:09
OK, so I'm new to Warriors of Chaos (and WHFB), and I want to take Archaon as part of my army--mostly because I find myself drawn to his awesome fluff--and am wondering what people can tell me of how he is gameplay-wise?

Because the main reason for my fielding him is fluff, he'll likely end up in a unit of Chaos Knights... is this good or bad for him?

Dreadlordpaul
27-03-2012, 13:17
Idk as i would never field him. His major problem is his points cost. for his cost i could take a chaos lord and a level 4.

Metacarpi
27-03-2012, 14:46
OK, so I'm new to Warriors of Chaos (and WHFB), and I want to take Archaon as part of my army--mostly because I find myself drawn to his awesome fluff--and am wondering what people can tell me of how he is gameplay-wise?

Because the main reason for my fielding him is fluff, he'll likely end up in a unit of Chaos Knights... is this good or bad for him?

He's massively expensive, I think your army needs to be in excess of 3,000 points to field him - something in that region anyway, I forget how much he costs. I could be wrong, but I also think the only unit he's allowe to join is a unit of Chaos Knights, and due to sniper cannons, I'd say running him solo isn't a very good idea.

Dreadlordpaul
27-03-2012, 14:57
He's massively expensive, I think your army needs to be in excess of 3,000 points to field him - something in that region anyway, I forget how much he costs. I could be wrong, but I also think the only unit he's allowe to join is a unit of Chaos Knights, and due to sniper cannons, I'd say running him solo isn't a very good idea.

hes 675 points and hes monstrous cav so they can still snipe him

grhino
27-03-2012, 15:09
He's not monstrous cav - horse has only 1 wound. Also: he can join other units - however: he is the only character that can join this one compulsory unit of Chaos knights: the Swords of Chaos.

Dreadlordpaul
27-03-2012, 15:15
He's not monstrous cav - horse has only 1 wound. Also: he can join other units - however: he is the only character that can join this one compulsory unit of Chaos knights: the Swords of Chaos.

Daemonic steeds are monstrous cav

Havock
27-03-2012, 21:05
To be fair, he is not a very good target for cannons.

MyNameDidntFit
28-03-2012, 01:08
He's 685, for the record.

Can someone give a definite answer/source for whether he's Monsterous Cavalry or not (as this will greatly impact whether I send him against units with Killing Blow >.<)?

Evil Hypnotist
28-03-2012, 04:22
I have taken him a couple of times, if you are taking him as a fluff option then you will enjoy owning everything that comes up against him. The guy simply will not die. However, if you are looking for a competitive general then your points are better spent on other things. I can't imagine he gets his points back often (the best I got was Tyrion and an Arch-mage on a dragon) but you are unlikely to lose your points-sink and general to the enemy. The only problem I found with him was his strength of 5 which can take longer than I would like to vanquish tough monsters. However, when you do manage it or assassinate a character and get to roll on the Eye of the Gods table the look on your opponent's face when you tell him you get to add even more to his profile is worth the points in itself ;)

As for his troop type, I cannot be definitive sorry but I always played that he couldn't benefit from Look Out Sir because his base size wasn't the same as the rest of his unit, if that helps at all...

MyNameDidntFit
28-03-2012, 04:30
Excellent. That's exactly what I was expecting/hoping for :D

If no-one can give a definite answer, I'll just have to get a consensus of opinion from my group. Ah, well.

/Edit: I'm a fool. Checked the Beastiary in the rulebook and he is indeed Monstrous Cavalry.

Fubar
28-03-2012, 09:01
Archaon is monstrous cav according to the Warhammer rulebook, therefore he is monstrous cav, therefore no Los in a knight unit, therefore far too risky for 700odd points in my opinion, which is a shame, let's hope he gets usable in the new book.

warplock
28-03-2012, 10:44
But he still can get the 4+ look out sir from the unit, right (that you get just from being near a friendly unit, they don't have to be the same troop type). Then he has a 3+ ward save, then you can never wound him on better than 3+. Giving a cannon only about an 11% chance of even getting a wound on him - and then he has 4 wounds so may very well survive anyway. Probably a risk worth taking, by the sounds of it.

Morax
28-03-2012, 14:03
Yes they do have to be the same unit type to get that 4+. You also don't get that 4+ LoS if you are in a unit, he'd have to be running solo, which opens him up to all sorts of other problems.

hamsterwheel
28-03-2012, 14:15
There are no MC units currently in the WoC book so Archaon currently can never received a look out! sir roll. He does have a 3+ Ward save which is more than enough. Plenty of players play with a Tzeentch Sorcerer on a disk with a 3+ Ward and they have a tendency to survive most games. I think I've only lost my Tzeentch Sorcerer on a disk in 4 or 5 of my games. Most players in my meta have stopped targeting him because its a waste of firepower when you can't kill him.

Malorian
28-03-2012, 14:28
I find he does well but eventually gets headbutted...

Dreadlordpaul
28-03-2012, 19:06
I find he does well but eventually gets headbutted...

that fight with grimgor wasnt fair :p

stiggie
28-03-2012, 21:12
In WoC rulebook above "demonic Steeds" section (top left of the page) Doesn't it state that no matter what size a demonic steed's base is it always counts as normal cavalry?

Malorian
28-03-2012, 21:14
Check the back of the main rule book.

MyNameDidntFit
29-03-2012, 10:32
Thanks for the opinions folks, it definitely seems like he'll be a fun character to field. The 3+ Ward, 1+ against Magic and 3+ minimum wound roll means he should easily survive most things that would usually "snipe" monstrous units... at least for long enough to reap a sizeable toll.

Just have to wait a few weeks for my model to arrive from England (to hell with paying Australian prices!) and then I can wreak havoc on my friends.

BigbyWolf
29-03-2012, 10:50
Yeah, forget his LOS rolls, his normal saves should keep him well enough protected, and if the enemy is sniping at him then it means he's not targeting the rest of your (what will probably be rather small) army.

He's characterful, certainly. I'd put him in a big unit of knights and run him towarsd the opponent as quickly as possible.