PDA

View Full Version : Dodgey Glue.

Sappysid101
27-03-2012, 14:50
So basicly I got some (Games Workshop) plastic glue around christmas time and it worked great and everything as per usual. It just as well as it always has and I had no issues with it. However ever since the weather has gotten hotter my models are pretty much falling apart. Like I put a marine on the table and 30 seconds later it falls apart. I must say it had really annoyed me after watching over half of my Dark Eldar fall apart in a single game, I use a carry case so I dunno what happening as I don't leave them in a hot place. Anyone else experianced this?

- Sid

shelfunit.
27-03-2012, 15:06
Probably better suited to the MP&T thread, but sadly - welcome to GW glues, the worst (yet most expensive) on the market...

Sappysid101
27-03-2012, 15:08
Wasn't honestly sure of the best place to post this tbh so I kinda guessed ^^

But yeah I thought it would've stood up a bit better than it actually did considering i've never had this issue before :/

- Sid

shelfunit.
27-03-2012, 15:27
To be fair, I don't know if the "newer" glues they have just released are any better than the older ones. Safest bet though is to go with the stuff you find in general hobby shops - the sort of things airfix and model railway enthusiasts use. If you want to have the thread moved I'd just post up in the help desk section and ask one of the mods to, they're usually pretty good with that sort of thing.

jack da greenskin
27-03-2012, 17:51
Yeah, forget it, write to customer services if you feel its a batch problem and they could do something about it, otherwise, move on and use something cheaper and better like revell :)

snake-eyez
27-03-2012, 19:31
If you want plastic glue, just get Revell Contacta, its what GW are trying to copy now with their new style. Its cheaper than GW, its good quality glue, and its a well designed storage bottle.

I have used GW plastic glue (before I knew of the many alternatives) and I have had a few issues, but then I just gave up on it when I found the alternatives (in this case, Revell Contacta). I'm not trying to have a go at GW with what I've said, but its probably best to just spend the 3 GBP or so for the alternative and consider the GW plastic glue a fairly inexpensive lesson in hobbying.

Bigbot
27-03-2012, 20:17
I've had a bad batch of super glue once (it refused to hold ANYTHING) but honestly the plastic glue is some of the best I use, it always holds, bonds quickly and never falls apart.

de Selby
27-03-2012, 20:38
I don't understand how plastic glue can even go wrong? It's not a sticky paste, it's just a solvent isn't it? Either it 'melts' the plastic or it doesn't.

Sappysid101
27-03-2012, 20:46
I don't understand how plastic glue can even go wrong? It's not a sticky paste, it's just a solvent isn't it? Either it 'melts' the plastic or it doesn't.

Exactly! I always thought it sort of melted both sides together to form a solid joint. You guys think its the heat thats doing it? As my models usually hold quite well... until now >.< my Razorwing used to be so pretty :(

- Sid

6mmhero
28-03-2012, 03:14
A friend has been having problems with the plastic glue of late. Except it was a heat issue, prob just a Crap batch.
One of the best plastic glues is the humbrol liquid poly cement. Comes in a glass jar with brush for about 1.50 and bonds quickly. It lasts a while as well.
If you want super glue I have heard that Wilkinson has the best glue out there (from someone who works with super glue on a daily basis and understands adhesives).

Wraith Phoenix
29-03-2012, 08:30
Had a recent problem with GW plastic glue, basically it was crystalising. Talked to the guys at my local store and they confirmed it was a bad batch, changed it for the new glues and they are working great (the new thin has so far had none of the problems I used to get with precision poly)

Richmt11
29-03-2012, 08:45
After reading this thread I'm definitely switching. Basically I have no problem with citadel glue and just thought it was me but lately my models have become very fragile. My previous experiences of poly cement have always been that it forms a solid joint. The plastic will bend and break before the joint.

But lately my models seem to break with the slightest knock almost like I've assembled them with superglue!

Born Again
29-03-2012, 14:52
I've been using GW glues, both super and plastic, for years and never had a problem. I live in Australia and it's not uncommon to get days breaking the 40 degree Celsius mark in the summer, so unless you live in the Sahara I don't think it's the weather or heat doing it. While I've never had a problem personally, I have heard of bad batches before, so it could be that.

Fluxeor
30-03-2012, 02:16
A friend has been having problems with the plastic glue of late. Except it was a heat issue, prob just a Crap batch.
One of the best plastic glues is the humbrol liquid poly cement. Comes in a glass jar with brush for about 1.50 and bonds quickly. It lasts a while as well.
If you want super glue I have heard that Wilkinson has the best glue out there (from someone who works with super glue on a daily basis and understands adhesives).

I swear by the Humbrol Liquid Poly, I've had 1 little 28ml jar of it for something like 6 years now, aint much left, the brush has come loose from the lid (and been re-stuck with superglue) and I've even used it to strip the paint from a couple of metal minis (so it now looks more like a grey wash than a clear solution) but it still bonds plastic minis better than anything else I've used.

Panzermike
30-03-2012, 06:44
Use Plastiweld for plastics and you will never go back to any of the other plastic glue rubbish out there.

For super glue always found Gale Force 9 works very well.

Greendragon
31-03-2012, 11:11
Humbrol Poly Cement for me! A 12ml tube last yonks and never fails to bond, then for superglue as Panzermike said GF9 is a good qaulity brand, I also use our own brand supplied by Javis Manufacturing (not available yet as our shop hasn't fully launched) but they basiclly follow the same 'recipie' if you like as GF9 glues, both last... again "yonks".

prowla
31-03-2012, 20:50
Had a recent problem with GW plastic glue, basically it was crystalising. Talked to the guys at my local store and they confirmed it was a bad batch, changed it for the new glues and they are working great (the new thin has so far had none of the problems I used to get with precision poly)

Seems that I have one of the bad batch bottles of Plastic Glue Thick as well. It seems that it has less solvent than usual, so the plastic is fused together on a very small area, and most of the glue just forms a brittle layer of hardened resin.

Production code on mine says 22711.

Coasty
14-04-2012, 10:30
For super glue always found Gale Force 9 works very well.

Even if they do get the Beaufort scale wrong.

It's Severe Gale Force 9. A 'Gale' is Force 8.

So now you know... :D

Mr Ogre
15-04-2012, 10:11
Exactly! I always thought it sort of melted both sides together to form a solid joint. You guys think its the heat thats doing it? As my models usually hold quite well... until now >.< my Razorwing used to be so pretty :(

- Sid

The problem with mine seems that the glue is setting before it's finished reacting with the plastic. It bonds, but it's very week. You then need to scrape it off both surfaces before trying again. I'm betting some chemical ratio or other has been mucked up, or perhaps a critical chemical left out? I dunno. I'm not a chemist!

Ace Rimmer
16-04-2012, 19:55
I use either humbrol/revell precision if I see if at a reasonable price somewhere, or just neat DCM, as although Polystyrene cement is most commonly Butan-2-one, Dichloromethane (DCM) is just as effective and I happen to generate a gallon or so of waste DCM a month through my job.

And as mentioned above, it's not a bonding agent, it melt's the plastic and forms a chemical weld, so a bond made correctly shouldn't break.

covenant
16-04-2012, 19:59
I had the same problem. The GW store replaced the glue, but the real headache is that I now have 40 glade guard and a demon battalion, 20 demonettes, 30 bloodletters and 10 seekers of slaanesh that all need cleaning down and re gluing...which is a massive time sync.