PDA

View Full Version : Watchtower Blitz Gone Wrong...

Malorian
28-03-2012, 02:05
You all hate it and you love to see it go wrong, so come on in and see a beautiful game fall into chaos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijQAMr3kFw0

My list:

Rune lord w/ anvil, rune of balance, rune of spell breaking, shield
Thane bsb w/ mro gromil, ro cleaving, ro fire, mro challenge

40 dwarfs w/ great weapons, banner
40 dwarfs w/ shields, banner, musician

22 miners w/ banner, champ w/ steamdrill
Grudge thrower w/ 2X ro penetrating, ro accuracy
Cannon w/ burning

Organ gun

Total: 2000

Djekar
28-03-2012, 11:33
I watched it and was very surprised to see what a LD bomb would do to dwarves. I think I am scared now...

Malorian
28-03-2012, 12:16
It's scary. When you do the math it's REALLY effective.

Normally it doesn't matter as even a failed fear test will mean the skeletons loss, but when trying to take a watchtower from a defensive unit it was the perfect mix.

Gunless Ganger
28-03-2012, 18:40
Wow, it's like almost everything my gaming group dislikes about 8th ed wrapped up in one video. :) If only he had also Pit of Shades an entire unit in one turn it would have been complete.

Malorian
28-03-2012, 18:42
Wow, it's like almost everything my gaming group dislikes about 8th ed wrapped up in one video. :) If only he had also Pit of Shades an entire unit in one turn it would have been complete.

Your gaming group are free to check out my Warmachine battle reports ;)

Sexiest_hero
28-03-2012, 19:12
Gunless Ganker, your gaming group dislikes, the fact you can turn around a bad game?Or the fact you need a fighty unit to dislodge a defensive one. Is Ld bomb only in 7th? I don't get what you are saying. It was an great battle report to me.

The bearded one
28-03-2012, 19:35
Before I watch anything, did you consider using the rune of hearth and hold on your anvil? You know, the one that nobody ever uses :D it gives some psychology buffs.

Malorian
28-03-2012, 19:43
Before I watch anything, did you consider using the rune of hearth and hold on your anvil? You know, the one that nobody ever uses :D it gives some psychology buffs.

Ha! You know what, this might have been the one time ever I would have used it :)

Unfortunately I used it to move the miners and it was already next turn that his skeletons assaulted the building. Once they were in things were pretty much over.

TsukeFox
28-03-2012, 21:16
"pretty much over"

I do not think anyone autowins when one plays "King of the Hill"

Malorian
28-03-2012, 21:28
"pretty much over"

I do not think anyone autowins when one plays "King of the Hill"

Watchtower is designed to give MSU a chance against hordes and to discourage gunlines.

It's a critical part of the mix in where the missions help the comp.

Autowins happen just as much in king of the hill, the mission just has to be abused in different ways.

Dhalsim-on
29-03-2012, 16:38
Great report all the same, youtube videos should be obligatory!

MOMUS
30-03-2012, 09:08
I thought it would be a steam roller for you :eek:

Malorian
30-03-2012, 12:55
I thought it would be a steam roller for you :eek:

So did I... this one really came out of left field, although knowning what I do now about that combo he used I could have played it better. Had I put the great weapon unit in there then even with the failed fear test I would have still won combat.

Next time... next time...

Mati
05-04-2012, 10:32
Dice Gods are never to be trusted and they didn't smile for you this day.. great report though!

The Cowslayer
05-04-2012, 13:47
Watchtower is designed to give MSU a chance against hordes and to discourage gunlines.

could you explain why you do think this is the case? especially the MSU vs horde thing?

i would much rather fight a horde in the open so i can surround and multicharge it, but i'm interested in your reasoning :)

gr,

J

Malorian
05-04-2012, 14:02
could you explain why you do think this is the case? especially the MSU vs horde thing?

i would much rather fight a horde in the open so i can surround and multicharge it, but i'm interested in your reasoning :)

gr,

J

MSU folk like to think you can multi-charge hordes and get flanks but in reality hordes go from board edge to board edge and protect their own flanks, so really all you get is two units of 20 charging a unit of 40 in the front, and the +1 CR for the charge (if they even got it) isn't worth the + 10 attacks.

In a building however number mean nothing. Both sides only get 10 models no matter how many more are in the unit, so a unit of 10 can hold up a unit of 1000.

Think of a WoC army with various units of 15 vs a night goblin army full of hordes of 100. In the open the warriors will be ground down, but in a a watchtower they have a chance to hold out for the win.

dwarfboy
05-04-2012, 14:05
Really gd battle report, really does epitomize warhammer. Seems exactly like what happens when we play, theres a game changing event (your miners obliterating his gerneral) that seems to be game winning, (we generaly say we quit and then carry on for the fun of it), and then it all gets turned around. Was really gd to see though, looked like a lot of fun.

The Cowslayer
05-04-2012, 14:11
on the other hand, a unit of 10-15 in a building will be quickly depleted, while a unit of 100 can hold forever.

and i must admit i have rarely seen armies really covering the whole width of the board, O & G being one of the armies which can actually do that. but then again, if the army covers so much space, not everything can be in the generals bubble, and even steadfast units are (more) likely to break. one of the main assets of MSU armies is (In my opinion atleast) that they have superior mobility (hence, i cant see a full infantry msu army being very succesful) and are therefor able to choose where & what to engage, allowing for high presure on weak points in the opponents battleline. once a big horde has entered the watchtower however, there is no more possibility of actually combining units vs one horde for higher pressure...

Malorian
05-04-2012, 14:21
on the other hand, a unit of 10-15 in a building will be quickly depleted, while a unit of 100 can hold forever.

and i must admit i have rarely seen armies really covering the whole width of the board, O & G being one of the armies which can actually do that. but then again, if the army covers so much space, not everything can be in the generals bubble, and even steadfast units are (more) likely to break. one of the main assets of MSU armies is (In my opinion atleast) that they have superior mobility (hence, i cant see a full infantry msu army being very succesful) and are therefor able to choose where & what to engage, allowing for high presure on weak points in the opponents battleline. once a big horde has entered the watchtower however, there is no more possibility of actually combining units vs one horde for higher pressure...

The small unit can start in the building, the 100 can't, and in the tower you see half as many combats as possible, and if you control the tower you can cycle your units (unit inside moves out and another unit moves in).

I agree that once a horde is in a watchtower that it's over. I would rather see a max capacity to buildings (must like the shooting rules for buildings) rather than it being replaced with a hill.

The Cowslayer
05-04-2012, 18:48
I would rather see a max capacity to buildings (must like the shooting rules for buildings) rather than it being replaced with a hill.

max unit size 20?:D then it would indeed reduce the power of hordes and alter army-builds. but then again, it would favor the more elite armies (20 chosen vs 20 greatswords isnt exactly equal :P)

dwarfboy
05-04-2012, 18:55
max unit size 20?:D then it would indeed reduce the power of hordes and alter army-builds. but then again, it would favor the more elite armies (20 chosen vs 20 greatswords isnt exactly equal :P)

As you can only fire 5 per floor, perhaps have a limit of models per floor like 15-20? Seems a bit odd that it's limitless but I'm not going to complain, I intend to put my 50 rangers in there :D