PDA

View Full Version : Carmine Dragon Breath Weapon

dwarfboy
28-03-2012, 18:30
Does anyone know how the Carmine Dragon breath weapon works in combat? I take it that it doesn't follow the normal rules for a breath weapon?

Heres the extract from Tamurkhan:
"The Carmine Dragon's breath weapon is a sorcerous blast of powerful amythest magic capable of withering metal and rendering flesh to dust as if millenia had passed in mere seconds. This breath weapon works similarly to determining the effects of a cannon shot (see the warhammer rulebook).The maximum range of the attack's target point is 12" away from the monster and may be treated just like a normal breath weapon. After the targer point has been selected, roll the Artillery dice to create a line of effect for the blast travelling in a straight line away from the dragon (just as for determining a 'bounce' for a cannon shot). A Misfire result should be re-rolled. Any model caught in the line of the blast suffers D3 wounds, with no Armour saves possible."

hamsterwheel
28-03-2012, 18:38
Does anyone know how the Carmine Dragon breath weapon works in combat? I take it that it doesn't follow the normal rules for a breath weapon?
For determining hits, it works just like a regular breath weapon would in combat, 2D6 automatic hits. The special rules concerning it's strength and whether you get saves work like it normally would if you were to use it outside of combat.

dwarfboy
28-03-2012, 18:40
see thats what I thought, but it has no strength, all models hit are automaticaly wounded with no armour saves, causing d3 wounds, thus making it great against units, but broken against monsters and characters. Any thoughts?

hamsterwheel
28-03-2012, 18:47
Unfortunately I don't have my Tamurkhan book with me at work or I could offer some additional insight. I do have access to the rules for Elspeth that Forge World had in a pdf prior to the Tamurkhan being released but the strength on that Breath weapon was Strength 10 minus the targets toughness, no armor saves and D3 wounds. If it's been updated during the release to what you describe then that is what it is and there is nothing to discuss.

dwarfboy
28-03-2012, 19:03
I was just wondering if I had interpreted the rule correctly, or if there was something I was missing. Sorry if this seems a pointless discussion.

Iraf
28-03-2012, 22:01
Your interpretation is correct. It is a broken monster, that will kill on average 7 single wound models, and 4.6 monstrous infantry models without taking into consideration CC and stomp attacks, all with no armor save, and initiative 5.

dwarfboy
28-03-2012, 22:23
Thanks for that, sounds like I'll be needing one of them. Think we'll have to invent some house rule to tone it down a bit.

EDMM
28-03-2012, 22:35
Just play it like the Warpfire Dragon's attack:

The boundless destructive energies of a Warpfire Dragon enable it to unleash potent blasts of hellish power. This is a shooting attack (rather than a standard Breath weapon) and uses one of the following profiles based on the Warpfire Dragonís age. The blast uses the round 3" template, which may be placed anywhere within range and line of sight of the Dragon. Roll the Artillery dice and Scatter dice to resolve where the blast lands. If a misfire is rolled, the blast fails and the Warpfire Dragon suffers D3 wounds with no armour save allowed.

dwarfboy
28-03-2012, 23:57
yea thats a good solution, cheers for that.