PDA

View Full Version : Noob question from old vet - Ork Biker army?

New Cult King
29-03-2012, 01:01
Is it possible to make an Ork army largely of Bikers? Not necessarily Nob bikers - I'm not really looking for competitiveness, just "cool". I love the Ork biker minis, and have a bundle at home gathering dust.

Chem-Dog
29-03-2012, 01:10
As I understand it you can, you might need to take Wazzdakka though. Can't remember off hand if the Warboss on a bike is enough.

New Cult King
29-03-2012, 02:10
Sweet, I just don't have the Codex to hand. But FW sells a nice Wazzdakka-type mini :D

DangerousBrian
29-03-2012, 08:37
Chem-Dog is correct, take wazdakka and bikes become troops, giveing you the choice to take 9 bike squads total, plus the usual 3 squads of nob bikes.

dam thats alot of bikes, heh.

Grimtuff
29-03-2012, 08:53
Chem-Dog is correct, take wazdakka and bikes become troops, giveing you the choice to take 9 bike squads total, plus the usual 3 squads of nob bikes.

6 Squads. As the Bikers are no longer Fast Attack. ;)

Shamana
29-03-2012, 09:28

Road hogs, yo :) . Actually, if you take Wazdakka and a warboss, doesn't that mean you can field 4 units of biker nobs (1 as troops) and 8 of regular bikes? The only question is what to do with your heavy support slots ;)

@ Grimtuff - where did you see that they are no longer fast attack? The codex I have only says that Wazdakka allows them to be taken as troops, not that they become a troop choice.

New Cult King
29-03-2012, 12:55
Heavy Support... a Battlewagon or 2?

GrogDaTyrant
29-03-2012, 14:51

I'd advise it. Priobably a good idea to load them up with some Shootas, and look into Rokkit-Buggies or Rokkit Koptas (as cheap as you can get them).

That said, Grimtuff is indeed incorrect. You *can* field 9 units of bikes, as fielding them for Troops is optional. However, that doesn't mean you *should*. The Warbike army has a lot of... issues, to say the least. And it's wise to not go completely overboard on the bikers. I built a bike-themed list made up of 5 units of warbikes, with a small-ish unit of Nob bikes, and 3 Rokkit Koptas. It's performance was extremely erratic. It steamrolled some armies, and was likewise steamrolled by others. Middle ground... well, there was no middle ground to it. The problems the bike list had, mostly involved dealing with monsters, excessive numbers of moving vehicles, and walkers. And seeing as they're effectively only 'Ard choppa/slugga Boyz, on bikes, with a twin-linked sawn-off Big Shoota... combat was not their forte. If anything, they played more like fast-moving, well armored shoota-boyz. Pour dice at infantry targets during the shooting phase, charge it (if you need to) in the assault phase.

That all said it was a fun army to convert and paint up, even if gameplay wise it was less than extraordinary. Looking back on it, building a few battlewagons, taking some shootas, getting a Killkannon (or SoopaKannon), some Rokkit-Buggies, and other additions would have done a lot to improve the list's track record. But on a side note take the named biker boss special character from IA8 if you can. He's a lot better, and far more useful, than Wazzdakka. Wazzdakka himself though... if only he wasn't needed to run the list. IMHO he's the bike-lists biggest failing, as he's horrifically expensive for what ultimately is one of the poorest performing Special Characters. He does however make a terrific distraction against players who are unfamiliar with him. They tend to see a SC on a bike racing towards them, and panic with everything they have.

Oh, and I found Bike units were best at 6 or 8 man mobs, although I've seen 9 work well, too. Anything more than that, isn't worthwhile due to the massive footprint of the unit and Mob Rule being of no real benefit to them. PK + Bosspole on the Nob Leader is of course standard.

madival
29-03-2012, 16:12
The army is quite doable. I always wanted to run an army like that. wazdakka, KKF mek on bike, shooty warbikers, war tracks for ranged AT, maybe a nob biker unit. Its quick and nasty.

Chem-Dog
29-03-2012, 16:26

Nah, take a Looted Wagon with a Boomcannon, for the giggles.

GrogDaTyrant
29-03-2012, 16:42
Nah, take a Looted Wagon with a Boomcannon, for the giggles.

Personally, I'd say to do that only if you desperately need (not want) 12 more inches of range, and +1 Str. Otherwise my humble opinion is that the Battlewagon with Killkannon is more useful for it's points, and can easily be made into a scoring unit by adding some grots or shootas. Though if you really want ordnance, Big-Trakks with Soopa-Kannons are the most cost efficient way to go. That'll get you some nice counts-as Looted Basilisks, for much the same price, too!

KKF mek on bike

On a side note, you actually cannot give a Big Mek a KFF & Bike. KFF's, Shock Attack Guns, Mega Armor, and Bikes are all exclusive to each other, as they take up his shooting-weapon upgrade.

New Cult King
29-03-2012, 22:53
Sounds pretty good :D It will only really be a painting/converting project for fun games against a mate or two, so if I get smashed as much as I win, then it will all be in fun.

I have... 6? I think, Koptas still on frames, so I'll cut 'em off and paint 'em up as well.

I should have the Ork Codex in my hands later today, but I appreciate the discussion so far. I ride a motorbike, and it should be fun having an army full of two-wheeled loonies, win or lose.

owen matthew
30-03-2012, 03:23
If its just for fun anyway, why not make every model on a bike or copter, so the whole thing fits the theme? Why even mess with battlewagons and other vehicles?

Though if I was going to tourney with this i would probably try to fit a line of buggies to block movement and LOS. I love them for that! Cheap screen.

New Cult King
30-03-2012, 03:46
I don't like the current GW Ork Buggies, but that shouldn't stop me from converting like a Mad Dok :D

xxRavenxx
30-03-2012, 09:21
Can you also drop a squad of Nob Bikers into troops by taking a warboss? (Its been a while since I touched orks.)

owen matthew
30-03-2012, 10:34
They are terrible! Convert them!

I use them as very cheap and fast cover, that is it. I converted from "looted" Rhinos.

Ulrig
30-03-2012, 13:00
Can you also drop a squad of Nob Bikers into troops by taking a warboss? (Its been a while since I touched orks.)

Yes you can. This would be an amazingly cool army to build, too bad its insanely costly. I have 22 bikes (nobs and ork warbikers) and the FW model and it took a lot of cash and time. I had also acquired said bikes mostly through the Mega Force they used to sell for orks.

Gig
30-03-2012, 19:43
Wouldn't 2 Nob Biker Squads as Troops with 2 Warbosses be superior to any number of Wazdakka troop bikers ?

You can still take 3 Fast Attack Ork Bikers, and 3 Elite Nob Bikers to fill out numbers if you want a huge mass of bikes.

Chem-Dog
30-03-2012, 22:32
Wouldn't 2 Nob Biker Squads as Troops with 2 Warbosses be superior to any number of Wazdakka troop bikers ?

You can still take 3 Fast Attack Ork Bikers, and 3 Elite Nob Bikers to fill out numbers if you want a huge mass of bikes.

Just bike stuff....
Wazzdakka:- 6 Biker Troops. 3 Biker Nobz Elite. 0 bike FA. 9 Bike Squadrons possible.
Single Warboss:- 1 Biker Nobz Troops. 3 Biker Nobz Elites. 3 Biker Squadrons FA. 7 Bike Squadrons possible.
Double Warboss:- 2 Biker Nobz Troops. 3 Biker Nobz Elites. 3 Biker Squadrons FA. 8 Bike Squadrons possible.
Wazzdakka + Warbozz:- 2 Biker Nobz Troops. 3 Biker Nobz Elites. 4 Biker Squadrons Troops. 9 Bike Squadrons possible.

Unless you're going to go Biker-Nobz-Deathstar with all the wound allocation shenanigans, I'd say the greater number of bikes would be superior to a lesser number.

Clang
30-03-2012, 22:42
Yes you can have 9 bike squads - Wazdakka allows bikes to be taken as troops, but the rules don't say bikes become troops instead of FA, so you can still have FA bikes as well.

For variety however, I'd actually take some FA wartrakks (buggies with the trak upgrade) - visually they look very bike-ish so would suit your theme, and would give some shooting variety, e.g. twin-linked rokkits.

Lothlanathorian
30-03-2012, 23:59
Or take Dethkoptas for Fast Attack because they are flying bikes. And you're an Australian and we've all seen the documentary titled 'Mad Max' with the guy in the little gyrocopter, so, we know it would work.

New Cult King
31-03-2012, 05:47
The Mad Mek part of my mind is whirring with the possibilities :D I do like the idea of converting up some Wartraks.

I imagine it's a pretty straightforward army to play, too.

Chem-Dog
31-03-2012, 22:17
Yes you can have 9 bike squads - Wazdakka allows bikes to be taken as troops, but the rules don't say bikes become troops instead of FA, so you can still have FA bikes as well.

For variety however, I'd actually take some FA wartrakks (buggies with the trak upgrade) - visually they look very bike-ish so would suit your theme, and would give some shooting variety, e.g. twin-linked rokkits.

Yeah, I did mean to mention that Bikes in the Troops section frees up the Fast slots for other stuff.

we've all seen the documentary titled 'Mad Max'

Sir, I salute you. :D :D :D

the1stpip
01-04-2012, 12:29
Wazdakka is NOT a Warboss (in his fluff, he is a Mek) and so does not allow a unit of Nobz as troops. Under his entry, it only says Warbikers as troops. Ghazghkull's entry specifically says that one unit of nobz can be taken as troops.

Vet.Sister
02-04-2012, 01:37
If its just for fun anyway, why not make every model on a bike or copter, so the whole thing fits the theme? Why even mess with battlewagons and other vehicles?

Though if I was going to tourney with this i would probably try to fit a line of buggies to block movement and LOS. I love them for that! Cheap screen.

I thought the whole reason for taking a BattleWagon was to take a BigMek with KFF and deck mounted Zzzap Gun. Plus to save points, you can put 10 grots with slaver on for the ride so that you could (carefully) claim some objectives.

EDIT. OH! And the DeffRolla... definitely the DeffRolla!

Nurgling Chieftain
02-04-2012, 15:00
The KFF isn't as useful in a bike army as it is elsewhere, given that bikes already come with cover saves.

My suggestion ~2000:

Wazzy
6 Biker units w/PK's&stuff
3x3 twin-rokkit buggies
3x3 Kannons w/ ammo runts (and tow bars so they can fluff-wise be towed behind the buggies!)

18 twin-rokkits gets you off to a good start at can opening so all your dakkaguns can do some damage.

GrogDaTyrant
02-04-2012, 17:00
I thought the whole reason for taking a BattleWagon was to take a BigMek with KFF and deck mounted Zzzap Gun.

The deck mounted Zzap Gun is a waste of points in the current codex. Under the old(er) 3rd edition 'green book', the deck-mounted Zzap was worth it's weight in gold. The biggest issue the Zzap has, is that it's now painfully inadequate for it's intended Anti-Tank purpose. I'm of the opinion that rolling to hit was all that was needed, but GW went overboard with their pendulum effect, and nerfed it further by removing the 2d6 armor pen bonus that it needs so badly. The end result is a gun that is less useful than a single Loota, on average.

If you give a Battlewagon a Big Gun, it should probably be a Lobba or Kannon. Killkannons aren't too bad if you need the ordnance. But Zzaps just aren't worthwhile, as they were balanced around the horrifically low chance of rolling a 9 or higher for Strength value (not too unlike how Possessed are currently priced around the '6' result of having power weapons).