PDA

View Full Version : Buy in Bulk now?

broken_system
28-04-2006, 04:47
So in light of Canadian Price Changes I want to ask if people are planning on buying anything they were concidering purchasing now, rather than after the Price change?

I am not looking for a debate on why or why not the price change is good or bad, but I am curious how many people in canada will be trying to scrap together every bit of cash to buy all the models you wanted to get to avoid the price change. Or maybe some people just dont care and will not go nuts right now.

Personally I just bought all my boxes this month (altho being unaware of the upcoming price changes). Now that I know its coming ,I will be going and getting all the boxes and bits needed to finish my army. $5.00 increase isnt such a drastic change, but it adds up with many purchases. Only good thing here is our government talking about a GST tax reduction. Soo...we will pay more for product, but less on tax :evilgrin:

starlight
28-04-2006, 05:19
Well, nothing I need is on the list so it won't affect me much.

However, I would be building more *nice to have* armies if the prices were more reasonable.:eyebrows:

Chem-Dog
28-04-2006, 11:17
I can't speak in specific reaction to Canadian price increases as I live in the UK, but I did consider buying a large amount of tanks just prior to the 25% hike we had recently, but this was mainly so I could sell them on after the increase but alas finances were not willing.

I think the increases impact upon my model buying in a significant way, like many I have a set amount of disposable cash every day/week/month (this does vary depending on what bills there are to pay) if it's something small, say a squad/regiment box, for example, I'll get it as and when I need it, because I usually have enough to spare to get it. If it is something larger, however, (like the city terrain bumber box) this will constitute several weeks worth of purchases at once.

So the general rise slows down the rate I buy at as it becomes harder to justify spending X amount at any one time and like starlight said, there are entire armies that I would have now if the prices were a little more reasonable

Tim
28-04-2006, 13:59
There are limits to what the market will bear. for me, I make good mony and can easilly afford what I want, when I want it. That being said, I still have a limit on what I'm willing to spend. GW has exceeded that point. Now, from time to time I might buy a new unit, but I won't buy a new army as I once did.

Master Jeridian
28-04-2006, 14:09
Isn't mass panic buying one of the lucrative off-shoots of price hikes?
By rushing out and throwing large wads of cash at GW everytime they raise the prices, what message does that give?

That continually raising the prices brings a large net profit from panic buyers.

Zander
28-04-2006, 14:54
I don't see an "ebay" option on your list.

lord_blackfang
28-04-2006, 15:13
I don't see an "ebay" option on your list.

Exactly what I was going to say. Er... write.

It's always fun to pick up a battered 3000 pts army for some pocket change and lovingly nurse it back to health.

Captain Brown
28-04-2006, 16:47
I have not been buying much (with the exception of a Nobz and Ork Boyz box) over the last couple of years, however this sudden increase does surprise me, especially with the strength of the Canadian Dollar and the already 20-35% above par prices that already existed.

That being said the danger with buying a whole load of figures in anticipation of a price increase is that you end up with all sorts of figures you may not use and no matter how you flag them on eBay, you will probably not make anything and more than likely lose something. Besides who has the money lying around to buy a whole load of stuff?

If I try and do that, Mrs. Captain Brown will want a new couch and drapes.

CB

starlight
28-04-2006, 17:05
....or if you buy her a new couch and drapes, imagine what you could get from ForgeWorld.:D

Sai-Lauren
28-04-2006, 17:14
I can't speak in specific reaction to Canadian price increases as I live in the UK, but I did consider buying a large amount of tanks just prior to the 25% hike we had recently, but this was mainly so I could sell them on after the increase but alas finances were not willing.

That's pretty much what I did, although for my own use (guard mechanised/armoured companies to 10,000 points - why do I do these things to myself???;) ).

I doubt I'll have to buy that many tanks in the future.

simonr1978
28-04-2006, 17:16
How about "I'm not going to sell my collection but I'm unlikely to buy direct from GW ever again"? :eyebrows:

I simply can't bring myself to sell the armies that I've spent years building up, nor can I justify to myself spending such ellaborate amounts on toy soldiers, so I'm somewhat sitting on the fence. I'll neither give up completely, but nor will I spend any more on new GW products all the while the prices remain what I consider prohibitive.

greymouser
28-04-2006, 20:30
You don't have "play another game" on the list either.

Sure, I'll use what GW armies I have, but Hordes is getting my money now. It's a really good game system, and there are tons of players around now.

I needed a breath of fresh air anyways.

Charax
28-04-2006, 20:37
The last time I bought in bulk from GW was the last time they had a decent sale

Can't remember when that was? I'll give you a clue, "White Metal"

On the whole I can't be bothered to bulk-buy stuff just because the prices are going up - for every price hike there's another dozen or so dissatisfied gamers selling their forces on eBay

broken_system
28-04-2006, 23:36
Speaking of yearly price hikes, does anyone ever remember a direct drop in price? Excluding the small drops due to increases elsewhere, has GW ever had a price drop? I was trying to think about this but couldnt think of any particular instance besides the obvious smaller drops acompanied by raises.

Marduk
29-04-2006, 01:03
Not that I can remember here in canada anyway, what I do remember is all the sales they used to have things like..

-buy 2-3 blisters get 1 free

-buy a starter box and one of the add on supp boxes and get the second box or mini box free

-buy $$$ and get this much $$$ free which I think they have also done away with in GW stores

When they opened new stores they used to have alot of sales too.

Now their typical reply to any customers over deals or sales is "oh no we cant do those anymore ( customer says in his head uh hu cheap buggers! ) but we do in store auctions! ( customer says in his head oh yea well nvm I just use gcm or ebay see ya! ).

Yea this LOTR deal only worked out for GW it seems...

Kymmerus
29-04-2006, 06:07
Basically my thoughts are buy the stuff I want while the Canadian Dollar is strong... I'm certainly looking at Forgeworld items with more interest... and thinking of ordering from the Warstore... partly now due to the price hike, but also due to the Canadian dollar going a bit further now-a-days... The price hike will kind of prompt me to buy some things I need to complete armies I have in the next little while... but overall its not that big of a motivator for me...

ReDavide
29-04-2006, 06:31
Price hikes rarely have a big impact on my purchases. My problem is that purchasing minis fulfills two needs for me:

1) The need to have more minis.
2) The need to buy things.

So yeah, I could go out and buy tons and have minis to assemble for a lifetime. But after a week or two, that "I want to buy something!" itch would come right back just as strong.

edit: What *could* change is the company I buy minis from. Flames of War is looking pretty attractive lately.

starlight
29-04-2006, 06:39
That's the key. I won't stop buying, but I will be looking at *where* I spend.

broken_system
30-04-2006, 00:34
speaking of deals, i know my store has a card/sticker system setup. Basically after filling the 9 space card with stickers, you get 30.00 off the next purchase. Ive already filled out two :P

starlight
30-04-2006, 00:39
Don't wait to cash them in, GW is known for shutting down rewards systems with little to no notice. As well, a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow (price hikes and all that).