PDA

View Full Version : First Warriors of Chaos list (2k friendly)

MyNameDidntFit
03-04-2012, 11:07
Howdy, so tonight I'm headed off to have a friendly game with one of the fantasy veterans from my gaming group. The main purpose of the game is for me to learn WHFB--I've read the rules, I've seen it played, I've written a list and now I just need to start playing :p

So, obviously, it's not a competitive game. I plan for WoC to be an army I play primarily for fun and fluff (leaving the serious business to my Guardsmen) but will take on board any feedback.

Lords (390):
Sorcerer Lord
--MoT, Lvl4, Disc, Talisman of Protection, Infernal Puppet

Core (528):
10x Chaos Warriors
--Shields, MoT, Full Command

10x Chaos Warriors

6x Marauder Horsemen
--Flails, Musician, Chieftain

Special (875):
10x Chosen
--MoT*, Halberds, Full Command, Wailing Standard, Favoured of the Gods

*I appreciate that MoK would likely be better here (I guess?), but my army is going to be primarily Tzeentch with smaller groups of servants of the other gods.

5x Chaos Knights
--MoK, Full Command

5x Chaos Knights
--MoK, Full Command

Rare (205):
Hellcannon

Total Points: 1,998

Again, all feedback is welcome, even if I wont use all of it due to my whims relating to what fluff I like :)

Kierandalby2288
03-04-2012, 11:14
The only thing I'd suggest if it's only for friendly games is,merge the 2 warrior units,drop a unit of knights and bulk up the chosen(tzeench is the best mark for these) and maybe add a unit or 2 of warhounds.
That should be friendly enough.

MyNameDidntFit
03-04-2012, 11:29
Cheers for the feedback. Oddly, I would have had hounds/more Chosen if I had the models for them--I've got another 3-4k of WoC in the mail, but cursed UK -> Aus shipping takes forever.

For the merging of the CW, is that just to save on points (less command units), or is there another reason for it?

Dirty Mac
03-04-2012, 11:51
Nothing friendly about Warriors of Chaos mate, I had a unit of about 24, and accidentally gave them Great weapons, Wiped out a unit of black orcs with his general in it.
Wasn't pretty.

danny-d-b
03-04-2012, 12:03
as far as putting the units together,it provides you with static combat res, and as Tzench shield units are one of the hardest things to kill (save a 3++ chosen tzench unit) having more static combat res is importent so if you do lose a few hits i your charged you still have the ranks to be steadast and so grind out what ever you facing

its also not the most friendly of lists- with Tzench chosen being one of the nastyest units around, if your going to be freadly I'd drop them and add a BSB (the most important model in most armys in 8th)

Dreadlordpaul
03-04-2012, 13:03
10 chosen really aint that nasty >.>

MyNameDidntFit
03-04-2012, 17:27
I think I have a different understanding of "friendly" to you guys. I mean "not competitive and for fun"... not "make your army as cushy and nice as you can".

Well, the game went fairly well--ended up as a draw. The other guy was a Brets army. It would have gone a lot more in my favour but I was rolling things like 4 ones on 5 dice while he was constantly making 5/6++ saves on peasants and couldn't roll a one if he tried.

My Chaos Warriors performed flawlessly, with one squad breaking a full unit of Knights of the Realm and running them down before assaulting through some Peasant Bowmen into the Trebuchet behind them. The other squad destroyed a horde of peasants and a wiped out unit of Pegasus Riders (with the help of an Exalted Hero summoned by my Sorc).

The Chaos Knights failed utterly, serving only to tarpit themselves against what should have been easy targets...

I messed up manoeuvring my Chosen who were then charged. They broke and were run down after the Champion was challenged and defeated (I rolled 1, 1 and 2 for his To Hit rolls... pretty much the theme of the match) by a lone Paladin BSB.

Sorc. Lord managed to keep the enemy casters at bay while dealing a decent bit of hurt (Pandemonium caused a miscast that he then neg'd 3 from with Infernal Puppet, causing a catastrophic discharge that killed 7 Knights :) ) as well as taking 3 direct Trebuchet hits without even blinking and having 2 other shots miss.

The Marauders did very little due to my terrible rolling and the Hellcannon refused to get past the 5/6++ on most of my opponent's models...

Other than my terrible rolling I think the list did well and will do a lot better with some tweaking and the addition of some other units (like Hounds).

Dirty Mac
04-04-2012, 01:10
I would just keep it the same, the dice were against you this time. Play the same list again, and learn how to use the units, after that start changing things and start learning how to use the other units.

Morax
04-04-2012, 14:06
Howdy, so tonight I'm headed off to have a friendly game with one of the fantasy veterans from my gaming group. The main purpose of the game is for me to learn WHFB--I've read the rules, I've seen it played, I've written a list and now I just need to start playing :p

So, obviously, it's not a competitive game. I plan for WoC to be an army I play primarily for fun and fluff (leaving the serious business to my Guardsmen) but will take on board any feedback.
Keeping fun and fluff in mind:

Lords (390):
Sorcerer Lord
--MoT, Lvl4, Disc, Talisman of Protection, Infernal Puppet

Are you planing on taking him into combat? If not the golden eye of tzeentch gives you the same save as the talisman of protection for less points. With a disc he can easily avoid combat if you want to so the choice is up to you, but this may be a good place to find a few points. I would also take a look at the Third Eye of Tzeentch. It's still rather fluffy and gives your wizard lord more flexability, which is always nice.

Core (528):
10x Chaos Warriors

10x Chaos Warriors

I'd merge these units aswell. 10 chaos warriors isn't all that hard to kill, even with a 3+/5++. A unit of 15-18 would do much better with 3 full ranks. Another place to find a few points to maybe take some dogs when you get them in.

6x Marauder Horsemen
--Flails, Musician, Chieftain

Special (875):
10x Chosen
--MoT*, Halberds, Full Command, Wailing Standard, Favoured of the Gods

*I appreciate that MoK would likely be better here (I guess?), but my army is going to be primarily Tzeentch with smaller groups of servants of the other gods.

Without a shrine or two, the Wailing Standard/Favor combo isn't nearly as effective. I'd suggest dropping it for a banner of rage or more bodies if you have them. That or drop the Hellcannon in favor or a shrine of tzeentch. Either way I'd take a unit of 12 over a unit of 10. That extra guy in the front adds just a bit more hitting power to the unit designed to do the killing.

5x Chaos Knights
--MoK, Full Command

5x Chaos Knights
--MoK, Full Command

Not sure I'd take two of these units. They really need a solid anvil unit to work off of most of the time and without the changes above you don't really have one. With the changes I suggested above you would have one but it's hard to get two units working off of one. I'd drop one of the units of knights in favor of a few more chosen and maybe a unit of warriors with mark of tzeentch and halberds/shields. Both the warrior set-ups work well and stay with your army being mostly tzeench.

Rare (205):
Hellcannon

It seems like an odd addition to this army with everything unchanged. You have 4 fast moving elements that like to get deep field quickly and a warmachine with no way to undo scatters. Seems risky to me. I'd love to hear reason's for including it but I think you would be better served by a host of other choices with these points.

Total Points: 1,998

Again, all feedback is welcome, even if I wont use all of it due to my whims relating to what fluff I like :)

Comments above in the funky colors.

MyNameDidntFit
05-04-2012, 13:10
Hey, thanks for that, that's really helpful. I'll give each part a reply:

Sorc Lord: he as not intended for combat, and avoided it rather deftly on the disc, as you mentioned. I misread the description of the Golden Eye of Tzeentch as being only magic missiles, I'll definitely take that next time. I thought about the Third Eye, but was running low on points and ended up choosing Infernal Puppet instead because it just seems like such an incredibly fun option (and when combined with casting Pandemonium... well, I loved it :) ).

Warriors: I'll definitely be merging these guys when I rework my list for another game tomorrow night. However I don't have the models to have >24 warriors in my army currently (in a couple weeks I will have another 60 or so), so it will be just the one unit for now.

Knights: The number of knights is partly due to my lack of models for another few weeks as, without that many, I'm hard pressed to field a full 2k at the moment. Other than that, I simply adore the models for them and they strike me as amazing units. But what you say about an anvil is true, so I'll look at either changing them or making a second HW&S Warrior unit to work with the second unit of knights. I'll likely merge them in this next game.

Hellcannon: This... well, really didn't have a tactical reasoning. I could say that it was to match any long-range artillery of the enemy/try to hit hard-to-catch units... but I'd be mostly lying. I took it because I think it's a cool model. Though I might leave it out of this list in favour of some bulking of the rest of it. I'll bring it back in when I have a list slightly more suited to it, I think.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Morax
05-04-2012, 14:38
Before you write off the Hellcannon, NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE COOL FACTOR! Yeah it needed caps. In a 2k friendly list, or in any friendly list, give your self a decent shot at winning and say screw the rest. If you want to have a center piece for your amry, you'd be hard pressed to find a better one than the Hellcannon. If you were looking for a replacement to the knights, or the cannon, or both, while sticking with the theme, I'd go with chaos trolls. Nothing say tzeentch to me than a unit that mutates as the game goes on.

hamsterwheel
05-04-2012, 17:40
Hey, thanks for that, that's really helpful. I'll give each part a reply:

Sorc Lord: he as not intended for combat, and avoided it rather deftly on the disc, as you mentioned. I misread the description of the Golden Eye of Tzeentch as being only magic missiles, I'll definitely take that next time. I thought about the Third Eye, but was running low on points and ended up choosing Infernal Puppet instead because it just seems like such an incredibly fun option (and when combined with casting Pandemonium... well, I loved it :) )

The Golden Eye of Tzeentch only protects you against magic and mundane missiles which don't include Direct damage spells so no, it's not as good as the Talisman of Protection even if you never get into combat. If you ever play against a TK player with a casket then I suggest the ToP as the Light of Dawn spell can insta-kill your Sorcerer Lord if you don't(can't) dispel it and you roll bad on your 3d6 leadership test.