PDA

View Full Version : Are you going to buy the new cityfight stuff?

Hlokk
28-04-2006, 16:03
Hi guys

Well, basically, I was wondering, who's going to be buying the new terrain? The new terrain can be seen here:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301875&orignav=10

So, what do you guys think? Will you buy a bit, a lot, or will you be going for something cheaper, or make your own or what?

Seth the Dark
28-04-2006, 16:16
I'm not going to buy any of that stuff since the store that I play at already has a load of terrain.

Death Cat
28-04-2006, 16:32
Ive just put an order in for some of Amera's terain however i intend on making some of my own as well namely.
A: Imperial Church (18"long 10"wide 12"high)
B: Factory (20"l 20"w 7"h)
C: Large Bridge (24"l 8"w 5"h)

KnightofUltramar
28-04-2006, 16:32
I think I'm going to buy a load of the basing kit, because I don't know where to get slate in holland.

btw: will the kit be available during this summer only, or not?

Darkseer
28-04-2006, 16:39
I have my own scenery in suitable abundance.
There's not really anything I need here.

Deadite
28-04-2006, 16:48
I won't be "buying" any, but I may acquire some in one way or another.

(Evil)Ash
28-04-2006, 17:16
ever since the first CityFight rules were released I wanted to make a whole table worth of stuff, but never really got round to it (I rather paint my armies). so as soon as I heard they were releasing their own building I knew I had to have them. so I ordered the big box and will be getting the codex and the necessary markers (which are pretty gay, but I'll make models for them myself in a while). I'm even thinking of maybe buying the starter set (Codex, two buildings and Accessories) instead of just the codex, but I've still got a month to think about it.

greetz,

RampagingRavener
28-04-2006, 17:20
I'm splitting the £100 box with a freind (£50 each, for five buildings, as opposed to the 4 you get in the actual £50 box-Bargain!), and will be picking up a mat, Codex, and a few other buildings in the future. Might also plump for some of the barricades as well.

god octo
28-04-2006, 18:15
if i did make a city fight table i would attempt to make the scenery myself. when that goes wrong, i will look on ebay.

Some guy (UK)
28-04-2006, 18:26
I voted make my own, but I would have preffered to vote "a mixture of both", as that is what I will be doing.

Later, Some Guy

Adept
28-04-2006, 21:45
I voted 'a load' since our gaming club is looking at picking up two of the big boxes.

Railgunner
28-04-2006, 21:50
I'm definitly going to get some!! Ive already had a play around with the sprues and they are ******* amazing!!!

Railgunner

RevEv
28-04-2006, 21:58
I've already ordered the big box set.

Much as I love building my own I just don't have the time - and having seen the new plastics they look fantastic.

lord_blackfang
28-04-2006, 22:33
I haven't decided yet. On one hand, I'm suffering from the "oooh new shiny stuff" syndrome. On the other, I think it's somewhat overpriced, even in the big box. And while I'd love to have a Cityfight table, and I have enough room, I actually have no wish to play Cityfight games. What a conundrum...

I'm splitting the £100 box with a freind (£50 each, for five buildings, as opposed to the 4 you get in the actual £50 box-Bargain!)

*waits for this guy to notice that the £50 box gives you 14 sprues and the £100 box gives you 28*

Actually the £40 box with the book and extra accessory sprues is by far the best value.

Ironhand
28-04-2006, 22:57
Definitely going to get the Big Box and the Codex, and likely the mat, basing material, and some of the other stuff as well.

Anvils Hammer
29-04-2006, 00:02
I voted "make my own", but I will also almost certainly be purchasing the £100 box set with my brother, and then mixing it with home made stuff to make finnishing venice a realistic idea.

cerealkiller195
29-04-2006, 00:11
i will buy the biggest box (one w/ 10 builldings) and the box w/ the dex and 2 buildings. Might buy the basing kit, i'm more curious as to see how it turns out so i'll wait for next months WD.

one of my friends insists that he can make good terrain, but its been 3 years and no terrain. so with those kind of figures i rather go out and buy the buildings and most of the work is done. Just base, prime, and drybrush.

Chem-Dog
29-04-2006, 00:44
Already signed up for the Book 'n' Buildings box and the Big Building Box, I've been wanting to make a Necromunda/Cityfight hybrid terrain set and this gives me everything I need to do it.

boogle
29-04-2006, 03:06
£100 City Set
£40 'Starter' Box
2 packs of Razorwire
1 Urban Basing Kit
2 Battlemats
2 cans of Roughcoat (so i can finish my FW cityfight stuff)

with the stuff i already have, my dream 6x8 table will be complete all for an extra £196

skuller
29-04-2006, 03:12
Im in the States here for 75 buckos you get two buildings 2 set of accesories and the book isnt that sweet

boogle
29-04-2006, 03:50
oh an i'll also be getting a couple of the Pegasus buildings and at least two more of the Pegasus Technobridges

baneful
29-04-2006, 03:54
im thinking of getting some one way or another, mostly to go with my necromunda terrain really.

oh and maybe a fw ruined tank factory for the sake of it...

Scythe
30-04-2006, 18:57
I will probably get the big box, then expand the buildings I get from there with board or something, and combined with the buildings I already have, I can hopefully fill my whole 4x8 table, or at least 4x6 of it.

Still doubting wether to go for an underground of sand (ghost city in the desert or something simular) or the rather standard grey underground.

schoon
30-04-2006, 19:23
As I'm something of a terrain nut, I'll most likely get the big box, and then supplement it with personal construction and the other excellent offerings out there.

BTW, does anyone have a direct link to the Pegasus offerings; their site is a devil to navigate if you don't have the name of what you're looking for...

Dreachon
30-04-2006, 19:57
Getting the big box along with the codex and 1 or 2 sets of bardbed wire.

TeldurUK
30-04-2006, 21:22
Me and a couple of mates are all going to chip in a get a couple of the big boxsets. We tend to have 4 way battles alot..so thinking of maybe going 2x battlemats and getting enough terrain to place on it

I've yet to base my Tau, so may go for the basing set too

Pertinax
30-04-2006, 21:34
Yup. I'm getting some of it, which will probably end up being used for the club.

ArtificerArmour
30-04-2006, 21:36
I'm definately gonna get the £40 boxset. May get the one each of the other buildings but I doubt I'll spend much more.

susu.exp
30-04-2006, 22:10
I think I'm going to buy a load of the basing kit, because I don't know where to get slate in holland.

Um, I know the quarry situation isn´t that good in the Netherlands and none of the quarries I am aware of have slate (Slate in the Region would have to be Older than of Carboniferous age and only the Heimans Quarry (near Epen) has rocks of that age and it is a protected area as well as not slate-carrying). However the Countries the Netherlands share borders with have rich slate deposits pretty near to the Netherlands, France in the Maas-valley, Germany in the Devonian Eiffel, and Belgium in the High-Ardenne slate belt. So, depending on how much slate you figue you´ll need, a train ticket might be far cheaper than a load of the basing kits.

Jakeraven
01-05-2006, 08:30
yepppers, it looks awsome with tons and tons of possiblilites

bloed_tarnen
01-05-2006, 08:34
I will buy the 10 model box set, it is $300 around 100 pounds, I dont know my conversion ratios though just lucky I looked at the link. They all look really good though. I might go halves with a mate as we will probably play each other, it sems pretty good value, it will cover a 6' by 4' table i think. Besides I suck at scenery making.

starlight
01-05-2006, 08:40
Likely a combination of build and buy from multiple companies. GW just isn't my default choice anymore.:(

Stormwarningz
01-05-2006, 13:40
It'seasy to knock up a couple of building from card board, foam core or plasticard. I make a mean chinese take away out of a old Daz tablet box.

setekhite
01-05-2006, 13:47
Personally, I don't see any point in owning terrain that doesn't fit with my armies.

So, until I can figure out an efficient way of building a ruined tomb complex, I will settle for attacking other people's cities...

Lyinar
01-05-2006, 14:13
I'll definitely be getting some... one of the main reasons my best friend and I don't play much is because we lack terrain.

As I can't fit a 4'x6' terrain board in my little Scion xA (as I've said before, that's my only real regret when it comes to my zippy little 38mpg vehicle ;) ), a 4'x6' terrain mat and a box full of buildings will work MUCH better.

Plus, I'm about half-way done with a Cityfight themed Armoured Company (well, Armoured Cavalry, actually... a Vanquisher, two Exterminators, a Destroyer, two Chimeras toting one squad of Stormtroopers and one Armoured Fist squad, and a direct-fire Basilisk that I'll be converting to be a massive recoilless rifle firing thermobaric ammunition :evilgrin: )

The Traveller
01-05-2006, 17:00
Nah, I won't buy that cityfight stuff except perhaps the codex someday...
As for terrain, I'll just make my own.

cookiescrumble
04-05-2006, 12:02
Probably, go halves with my bro.

lord_blackfang
04-05-2006, 12:24
I've decided to get the 40 quid box with the book and 8 sprues, then if I like that I might add the 50 quid box with 14 sprues.

Wolflord Havoc
04-05-2006, 12:37
By the tonne

Well at least the club is.

We intend to build a city out of the stuff!!!

Shadowheart
04-05-2006, 12:58
I'm planning on it. A load, most probably. I hope the big box, but it depends on whether I'll come across one. The plastic bits look very nice, and I especially like the accessory sprue (always the best kind of sprue).

It's worth noting that using ready-made scenery (parts) doesn't preclude making your own scenery. In fact, I'm looking at these kits mainly as a very useful building material. Rather than making buildings, let alone full tables, "out of the box", you can make parts of buildings out of them, or just use seperate panels for the features they contain.

Most scratch-built scenery I find lacking in the details. It's easy enough to knock up some basic building shapes out of card or whatever, but if you want it to look good with the miniatures that's only the beginning. It can be done to be sure, but it's enough work for ready-made scenery to be a viable alternative despite the cost.

Teufelskerl
04-05-2006, 13:40
As I have been playing since 2nd edition, I have a lot of buildings and terrain already, (mostly Armorcast and Crusader29, as well as a fair amount of scratch-built.) However, I am still planning on picking up a fair amount of the GW stuff, even if I resell a fair amount of it later.

Frederich

Carot
04-05-2006, 18:14
My Club will be picking up a few of the individual buildings for conversion purposes, aside from that one of our players wants to buy the whole shebang. We're trying to talk him out of it. :p

Wolf Scout Ewan
04-05-2006, 18:32
I would love to buy lots of the new scenery but two things are a problem.

Money and Space.

EmperorsChamp01
04-05-2006, 22:31
In a second! I love city fight so much. so when i saw the new cities of death codex and models i just about wet myself. I want all of them! I havent wanted any thing this badly since Pokemon came out!

Scythe
05-05-2006, 08:28
Most scratch-built scenery I find lacking in the details. It's easy enough to knock up some basic building shapes out of card or whatever, but if you want it to look good with the miniatures that's only the beginning. It can be done to be sure, but it's enough work for ready-made scenery to be a viable alternative despite the cost.

I agree here. Having seem the new sprues assembled at our local shop, I have also seen the huge pile of leftover bits they had after assembling some buildings. Thus, my scratch-built scenery will be combined with the new set and upgraded with as many bits from the sprues and my bits box as possible to 'level out' the details.

Thylacine
11-05-2006, 02:13
G-day folks.

I like many other gamers loved Cityfight but without buildings it was a case if going to the local store for a game and my big table gathered dust. Now while I love GW's 'High Gothic' artwork, I don't love the price, $300.00 OZ for the Imperial City. While looking for ideas on the web I found a terrain Company in the U.S. and now I have filled most of my 8' x 4' table with buildings from
http://hometown.aol.com/resinmann/myhomepage/business.html
they cost less and are made from cast resin. I now have single and multi-story buildings, single and multi-story ruins and some earthworks/outposts. The Taka-Studio models don't have the 'Gothic' feel for their buildings but I am told that's being worked on.

I will pick up the new CoD codex and perhaps the Stratagem building set, although it has parts I already have and don't use. I can't see the value in the Urban Bashing kit, why pay for some bits of slate, a good search on the web and you should be able to find the fiddly bits that flesh out the city.

Well that's my thoughts.

Thylacine:chrome:

cailus
11-05-2006, 02:48
Already have the Cities of Death boxset on pre-order. This is a replacement order for my 3 Killer Kans which were really crap models (didn't fit togetehr without sawing and needed extensive work to be able to stand).

I think I'll get some more buildings as well.

I love the original City Fight. It's one of the rare times youneed actual strategy in 40K!

emperorattack
11-05-2006, 03:52
Im getting two ten building sets

Chem-Dog
11-05-2006, 03:55
Got my Imperial City today, it's heavy as hell. One warning, this kit is not for the feint hearted or the foolhardy, I wouldn't recommend this kit to novices as the prefab nature of the kit is highly misleading and it doesn't slot together neatly, there are tags and grooves but these should be considered as guides.

Serpine
11-05-2006, 08:07
Got my Imperial City today, it's heavy as hell. One warning, this kit is not for the feint hearted or the foolhardy, I wouldn't recommend this kit to novices as the prefab nature of the kit is highly misleading and it doesn't slot together neatly, there are tags and grooves but these should be considered as guides.

How usefull would the components be for constucting non-ruined buildings? GW's obsession with city terrain components that appear to be in the last stages of extremely heavy bombardment frustrate me. Just what are people trying to capture when a temple is reduced to a stained glass window and two pillars anyway?

-Serpine-

Scythe
11-05-2006, 08:54

Could you tell me how many sprues of each type are included? There are 28 in total, right? Thanks.

Ironhand
11-05-2006, 13:44
Search the forums. The sprue breakout has been listed a couple of different times in different threads.

abortionsurvivor
11-05-2006, 14:23
I already own a huge cutyfight board so it wouldn't be practical to buy the new set. Its already impractical to own the city board i have now considering that 2 people have been to my house to play warhammer in the last 6 months.

boogle
11-05-2006, 16:05
man the box is really heavy and packed to the gills with sprues, shame, i'll have to wait until a week on saturday to afford it

Ozymandiass
11-05-2006, 23:59
Well, I've placed my pre-order for the 28 sprues and the set of 8 sprues with the book. I stcratchbuild most of my own terrain (and I'm fairly decent at it), but I can't pass up all of the cool stuff this set is going to come with. I may mix and match, but more likely I will use the GW stuff to make huge buildings that would really be hell to make scratch.

Oh and for all the people buying razorwire, go to Michaels (or similar hobby store), but 2 gauges of floral wire (one thick, one thin) and wrap the thin one around the thick one. You can make a city of razorwire for $2!

Ok back to the topic...

Ozymandias, King of Kings