PDA

View Full Version : About new models and old artwork

lybban
10-04-2012, 10:08
After reading countless threads and posts about the new direction of GW sculpts I have to say I'm surprised noone has(I might have missed it though) mentioned that they are actually trying really hard to emulate the excellent artwork that GW has produced for ages. The new imperial griffon is a perfect example of how John Blanches style is really captured in the sculpt. The pose and the slightly smaller head compared to the body. I really like the new direction and would argue that it has always been there but the sculptors have only now had the technology and the skill to realize the warhammer imagery that has been in the books for decades and decades.

And frequently going back to check on older sculpts to understand where all the complaining comes from has made med realize how awful a lot of the miniatures used to look. All hail the sculptors an a reality check for all the haters out there. Seriously!!!

Tyrelli
10-04-2012, 10:40
After reading countless threads and posts about the new direction of GW sculpts I have to say I'm surprised noone has(I might have missed it though) mentioned that they are actually trying really hard to emulate the excellent artwork that GW has produced for ages. The new imperial griffon is a perfect example of how John Blanches style is really captured in the sculpt. The pose and the slightly smaller head compared to the body. I really like the new direction and would argue that it has always been there but the sculptors have only now had the technology and the skill to realize the warhammer imagery that has been in the books for decades and decades.!!!

Thats a great observation / argument .. if you look at John Blanches orig Karl Franz art http://whfb.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/7/72/KarlFranzDeathclawJohnBlanche.jpg you can see that the new look Karl definatly get insperation from it ..

lybban
10-04-2012, 10:48
Thanks! That's one of the pictures I was thinking of!!!

Urgat
10-04-2012, 21:03
Thats a great observation / argument .. if you look at John Blanches orig Karl Franz art http://whfb.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/7/72/KarlFranzDeathclawJohnBlanche.jpg you can see that the new look Karl definatly get insperation from it ..

One of the pictures that made me fall in love with Warhammer back then :)

pointyteeth
10-04-2012, 21:06
Man, do I love the imagery from back in the day. Can't wait to see knights like that!

TheDungen
10-04-2012, 21:11
Yeha but Blanches art have changed considearbly nowdays from for an example the first VC book or the mordheim book.