PDA

View Full Version : Heirloom rule for General of the Empire removed? Was it replaced ?

knightime98
13-04-2012, 06:24
I was perusing the new Empire book and looking to see if a unit of State Troops could take a magic banner.
I don't see it anywhere? I thought that someone had said that a single unit of State Troops were allowed to take a 50pt banner. However, I don't see it listed anywhere. I do see that all the Special units can take a magic banner (abundantly).

Any help with a page number on this one would be great. But as far as I can tell at this point it looks as if State Troops lost out big on this issue.

stainawarjar
13-04-2012, 06:44
Yep, state troops can no longer take a magic banner. Like most basic infantry in the game.

jtrowell
13-04-2012, 08:39
However Greatswords can now have a magic banner without this rule, so you still have a state troop with a magic banner (but not a core one)

yabbadabba
13-04-2012, 08:49
I think only 4 unit types can take magic banners now, IC Knights, Reiksguard, GS and Demigryphs. Be interesting to see how that matches up with the other 8e army books.

EDMM
13-04-2012, 10:11
Way more than Orcs, way more than Vc, way more than Ogres and way more than Tomb Kings.

Artinam
13-04-2012, 10:13
It seems magical standard are indeed becoming rarer in armies. Bob and his halberdier Buddies from the 117th regiment of Altdorf will not be important enough to carry one.
Its probably a trend.

yabbadabba
13-04-2012, 10:43
Way more than Orcs, way more than Vc, way more than Ogres and way more than Tomb Kings. A little more detail please? "Way more" seems a little interpretive

jonadaya
13-04-2012, 11:05
Tomb kings: 2 (one unit of chariots and tomb guards) Orcs: 4 (big uns, black orcs, boar riders, savage boar riders) Vampires : 4 (one unit of skeletons, grave guards, black knights, knights of the blood keep) Ogres : 3 (one unit of Iron guts, maneaters, mournfang.)

Artinam
13-04-2012, 11:27
One comment for the orcs, Savage Orc Big Uns cant take a standard (not the boar variant).

Akkaryn
13-04-2012, 12:24
One comment for the orcs, Savage Orc Big Uns cant take a standard (not the boar variant).

A lot of people seem to miss this.

ihavetoomuchminis
13-04-2012, 13:28
Who cares if there are 4, 3 or 2? There's no many interesting Magic Standards. THe flaming one, the armour piercing one, and the +1 Leadership.....and with empire, you have the repeat 1's on charge too.

MadMaxx
14-04-2012, 05:59
I must concur... not a whole ot of thrilling magic standards left anyways...

knightime98
14-04-2012, 08:50
I think only 4 unit types can take magic banners now, IC Knights, Reiksguard, GS and Demigryphs. Be interesting to see how that matches up with the other 8e army books.

Which is very sad to me, because I play with a ton of core infantry. I don't use knights very often if at all much less the new Demigryphons. I think this part of it is a very sore loss for me.

BlackPawl
14-04-2012, 09:39
Who cares if there are 4, 3 or 2? There's no many interesting Magic Standards. THe flaming one, the armour piercing one, and the +1 Leadership.....and with empire, you have the repeat 1's on charge too.

That's not true - Skaven would love it to take more banners than their allowed 2 (one unit of plague monks and one unit of stormvermin). Stormbanner, flaming banner, banner of discipline, banner of the underempire, armour piercing banner ... I love my High elves for this that they can take more than 3 magic banners ...

yabbadabba
14-04-2012, 09:58
Which is very sad to me, because I play with a ton of core infantry. I don't use knights very often if at all much less the new Demigryphons. I think this part of it is a very sore loss for me. I think you have only lost flexibility, possibly one additional magical banner in your army, that's it.

ihavetoomuchminis
14-04-2012, 11:14
That's not true - Skaven would love it to take more banners than their allowed 2 (one unit of plague monks and one unit of stormvermin). Stormbanner, flaming banner, banner of discipline, banner of the underempire, armour piercing banner ... I love my High elves for this that they can take more than 3 magic banners ...

True...but i was talking only about the books released in 8th edition ;)

DivineVisitor
15-04-2012, 22:52
I used to take the Flaming Banner alot but now that Warrior Priests can grant flaming attacks i haven't bothered with it.

The banner i use most though is the Ranger Standard as i have a habit of using a big block of Knights and it's useful being able to charge through various terrain without having to worry that 1/6th or 1/3rd of the unit are gonna take a dive.