PDA

View Full Version : BoW Necron 2nd wave release date

Pages : [1] 2

vaughany86
14-04-2012, 20:12
Haven't seen this on here yet so thought I'd post it, Beasts of War have announced the Necron 2nd wave release date
http://www.beastsofwar.com/warhammer-40k/necrons-may-5th/
said to be 5th May and has a sketch of the Triarch Stalker and what will be included in the 2nd wave which is:

Our information suggests that the release will include the:

Triarch Stalker
Tomb Blade
Canoptek Wraith
Canoptek Spyder
Nemesor Zahndrekh
Vargard Obyron
Illuminor Szeras
Destroyer Lord Upgrade Pack
Heavy Destroyer Upgrade Pack

Chris

TimLeeson
14-04-2012, 20:33
"Tomb Blade
Canoptek Wraith
Canoptek Spyder"

I hope these are squads and nnot single models, hopefully plastic too...

MajorWesJanson
14-04-2012, 20:36
So 4 plastic kits, 3 Finecast characters, and 2 finecast upgrade kits? Sounds feasible and plausable, and fits with prior rumors. I trust it.

I'd guess 3 packs for the Wraiths and Tomb Blades

MALICIOUS LOGIC
14-04-2012, 20:40
The Triarch Stalker is an easy conversion. The others are much needed plastic/finecast.

duffybear1988
14-04-2012, 20:53
So neither of the flyers made it into this release. That is the dumbest thing ever. All I can say is - well done GW you have stopped me doing another army and saved me some cash...

I'm of the opinion that if they can't get big important stuff like the flyers out by second wave, but can create absolutely useless jetbikes then they don't deserve to get my cash!

Darnok
14-04-2012, 21:10
So neither of the flyers made it into this release.

Umm... the Tomb Blade is one of the flyers? :eyebrows:

Edit: I possibly mix things up here...

TimLeeson
14-04-2012, 21:18
Well, if you count jetbikes as flyers - they do fly so I guess....

maybe they are saving the night scythe/doom scythe for that "autumn of fliers" thing? Just a thought....but maybe it could be possible evidence of that release?

Machinepriest
14-04-2012, 21:19
Umm... the Tomb Blade is one of the flyers? :eyebrows:

Edit: I possibly mix things up here...

Tomb Blades are jetbikes.
Night Scythe and Doom Scythes are flyers :)
Which will most likely be released during the "autumn of flyers"

Chrisb3
14-04-2012, 21:29
Destroyer upgrade kit??
There are models for all kinds of destroyers already??

What could that possibly be?

Anyway awesome news, these are all the models I'm missing :)

Nocculum
14-04-2012, 21:32
The upgrade kit is a finecast upper torso to make the Overlord Destroyer.

Azazyll
14-04-2012, 21:53
Finally. Really looking forward to the upgrade packs.

Darnok
14-04-2012, 21:55
Tomb Blades are jetbikes.
Night Scythe and Doom Scythes are flyers :)
Which will most likely be released during the "autumn of flyers"

And that's the stuff I got wrong.

A shame to not see one of the flyers. I hope the rumours are wrong on this part.

TimLeeson
14-04-2012, 21:57
Does seem a missed opportunity - I personally need a pair of night scythes since Immortals can't take Ghost Arks as transports. But then the only time (to my knowledge) they havent gone over the 4 plastic kit number was with the DE relaunch. So I did expect something to be missed out. Would of rather had the fliers over the jetbikes personally.

Chrisb3
14-04-2012, 22:12
The upgrade kit is a finecast upper torso to make the Overlord Destroyer.
Ah I guess that makes sense, the current kit is just a Destroyer Lord which doesn't exist anymore. So I guess extra fancy bits, maybe a cloak and some different weapon/wargear options.

What is the Heavy Destroyer upgrade kit for though? There is a model for this and I'm not aware of any extra options.
It'd make sense if these were not seperate kits but were included with the current boxes, which would make the heavy upgrade a better looking replacement for the green rods.
Alternativly they could discontinue the Heavy Destroyer and instead have a seperate upgrade kit make the normal Destroyers into a Heavy Destroyer.

decker_cky
14-04-2012, 22:38
Ah I guess that makes sense, the current kit is just a Destroyer Lord which doesn't exist anymore. So I guess extra fancy bits, maybe a cloak and some different weapon/wargear options.

What is the Heavy Destroyer upgrade kit for though? There is a model for this and I'm not aware of any extra options.
It'd make sense if these were not seperate kits but were included with the current boxes, which would make the heavy upgrade a better looking replacement for the green rods.
Alternativly they could discontinue the Heavy Destroyer and instead have a seperate upgrade kit make the normal Destroyers into a Heavy Destroyer.

Lets them just sell the basic destroyers, then have upgrade packs for the extra bits rather than actually selling heavy destroyers or destroyer lords. Probably more expensive for getting new models, but awesome for me since I have more destroyers than I need but not enough heavy destroyers. I'm sure a lot of people with older necron collections will be in the same position.

Starchild
14-04-2012, 22:38
So neither of the flyers made it into this release. That is the dumbest thing ever. All I can say is - well done GW you have stopped me doing another army and saved me some cash...

I'm of the opinion that if they can't get big important stuff like the flyers out by second wave, but can create absolutely useless jetbikes then they don't deserve to get my cash!Look how long Dark Eldar players had to wait for the Razorwing. I don't expect Necron players to wait any less for their flyers.

gutsmaka
14-04-2012, 23:05
gahhh! just the thing I want and its not there! doom sythe! why dost thou torment me so!

Nocculum
14-04-2012, 23:07
Lets them just sell the basic destroyers, then have upgrade packs for the extra bits rather than actually selling heavy destroyers or destroyer lords. Probably more expensive for getting new models, but awesome for me since I have more destroyers than I need but not enough heavy destroyers. I'm sure a lot of people with older necron collections will be in the same position.

Right on the money.

It makes sense, financially, and hobby wise.

No need for an expensive blister when a do it all plaster fixes it right up.

Cheexsta
14-04-2012, 23:10
Maybe they're holding back the flyers for their Flyers expansion, whenever that might finally happen?

MajorWesJanson
15-04-2012, 00:01
Upgrade kits for destroyers will do for now until they get around to making a new plastic destroyer kit.

Would be nice if they made a few more cryptek models for a later wave.

brassangel
15-04-2012, 00:31

I'm of the opinion that if they can't get big important stuff like the flyers out by second wave, but can create absolutely useless jetbikes then they don't deserve to get my cash!

You tell 'em! With the RAGE OF THE INTERWEBS!!!!!11!!1!!111!!!one

It's always a good thing when people who feel this way leave the hobby. How dare GW release 6 or more kits for a single army all at once. I mean, surely they have the means to just chuck out a flier as well, right? No logistics or marketing issues (especially given that NO Necron lists even play those fliers at the competitive level anyway), and it's absolutely not possible that they are waiting for a single, large flier release for all of 40k.

Man...frequent FAQ's, better White Dwarf, more releases every month than ever in previous years. Stupid GW not giving me the one model I wanted...

Silvertongue
15-04-2012, 01:48
^that.

Where is the like button!

theDarkGeneral
15-04-2012, 02:05
Wow, very nice! That'll definitely give the patient Necron players plentyof cool new models to enjoy until Forge World makes some releases!

KarlPedder
15-04-2012, 02:11
Man...frequent FAQ's, better White Dwarf, more releases every month than ever in previous years. Stupid GW not giving me the one model I wanted...

Stupid customers not being happy with whatever bone we throw them.....

I want 7 scythes Ive held off buying any necrons for 6 months so I didn't overspend on stuff I didnt want because all the stuff I did wasn't available now the unreleased model I needed the most of isn't being released for what another 6 months and for what so it can tie in with their little expansion?

Battleworthy Arts
15-04-2012, 02:54
Im pretty sympathetic to the Necron players waiting for their flyers. That has to be frustrating.

Starchild
15-04-2012, 03:16
Wow, very nice! That'll definitely give the patient Necron players plentyof cool new models to enjoy until Forge World makes some releases!Wait... what? New Forgeworld Necron kits? :chrome:

MajorWesJanson
15-04-2012, 03:35
Im pretty sympathetic to the Necron players waiting for their flyers. That has to be frustrating.

Yeah, like waiting for a new edition of Dark Eldar, Necrons or Tau. Or model wise, like waiting for Tervigons, Thunderwolves, or the Void Raven. GW can only put out so many models at a time, and have to support more than 30 or so armies across 3 systems. And it is catch 22. If GW had decided to release a Scythe model instead of say the Wraiths, someone else would come along and complain that they were going to buy 7 boxes of wraiths, but GW is unfair and hates them personally.

As for this "autumn of fliers" thing, I am not sure if it is a proper expansion, but just a themed release of several races fliers and maybe some AA units. Low chance, but it may come along with the 6th rules, to showcase flier rules in the new rulebook.

Shatterclaw
15-04-2012, 04:26
It might just be mind playing tricks, but wasn't one of the hints that Harry, I think it was, that there will be a necron wave, and another Dark Eldar wave.. so may be not that much longer.

Look how long Dark Eldar players had to wait for the Razorwing. I don't expect Necron players to wait any less for their flyers.

SideshowLucifer
15-04-2012, 04:32
Well the big difference here is one of those fliers is our only true troop carrier. It would be like making marines play without their rinos. Also, the reason you don't see many at the competitive level is that they don't exist and are a pain to try and convert. I already bought my wraiths from another company, but I'll still be happy to see some releases, though missing the fliers is a real bummer for me and likely going to have me bying from the other company again since they have a knack for putting out good "necronish" models before GW release them and for a fraction of the cost.

lantzkev
15-04-2012, 04:38
Did necrons lose the gate thing from the monoliths?

Gunless Ganger
15-04-2012, 05:21

Then proceed to rage against the ragers....

It's always a good thing when people who feel this way leave the hobby. How dare GW release 6 or more kits for a single army all at once. I mean, surely they have the means to just chuck out a flier as well, right? No logistics or marketing issues (especially given that NO Necron lists even play those fliers at the competitive level anyway), and it's absolutely not possible that they are waiting for a single, large flier release for all of 40k.

... and we all know GW is so focused on catering to competitive tournament play. :rolleyes: ;)

The scythe spam list is a popular build, regardless of any competitive business.

Relax a bit - seriously - I know your post was tongue in cheek, but he didn't rage quit the entire hobby over one model he just said he wouldn't start the army till that model was released. Also not everyone knows about the "Autumn of Fliers", or even knows if it's true. Just point out that possibility that it may be released then and leave it at that.

DarkAngel28
15-04-2012, 05:37
IMHO I don't see them releasing any of the "flyers" before 6th edition drops. Why release a model that has no rules for it in the current edition. That would make the sales of the flyers better. I would say at least half of the gamers out there wouldn't by the model with no rules for it. You all have met the over zealous gamer that tries to win at all costs. Do you think he would let you play it without the rules for it. Also, if you go to a tournament, they probably won't let you use the model. That's just my view of it anyway.

MajorWesJanson
15-04-2012, 06:45
Scythes do have rules currently. Fast Skimmers. 6th will likely change them into full fliers, but until then, the rules work fine as is.

Dark Eldar wave? All that I can think of left is a few Characters (Duke, Baron, Lady) and the Void Raven.

philbrad2
15-04-2012, 07:32
Wait... what? New Forgeworld Necron kits? :chrome:

Next FW book was mentioned at the open day a few weeks back as being a sector wise campaign rather than a system, the 'clankers' were main Xenos in it IIRC. Rumours about conversions packs for crypteks and lords/overlords was mentioned.

No flyer, a bit surprised at this however still have a inkling we'll be seeing lots more of flyers once 6th ed hits the shelves so I'd expect this kit to be being held in 'reserve' ;)

PhilB
:chrome:

Changer
15-04-2012, 07:46
I find it far to risky to buy any flyers right now. Everything may change, depending of how the 6.th may look like. And to buy models worth of over 200€ that may never see use....not my cup of tea.

Sami
15-04-2012, 08:28
Dark Eldar wave? All that I can think of left is a few Characters (Duke, Baron, Lady) and the Void Raven.

Special Characters: Baron, Drazhar (has old model), Kheradruakh, Malys, Sliscus, Vect.
Squad Leaders: Aberration, Klaivex
Vehicles: Voidraven

As for the person who said the Scythe the only true troop carrier, what does that make the Ghost Ark?

-Loki-
15-04-2012, 08:43

Yeah, it's not like some other players have waited longer for their flyer... oh, wait.

Rick Blaine
15-04-2012, 09:14
As for the person who said the Scythe the only true troop carrier, what does that make the Ghost Ark?

Well, maybe you can tell us what we're supposed to call a transport that may only carry 2 different unit types (Warriors and Royal Court) cause it sure as heck isn't a true troop carrier.

duffybear1988
15-04-2012, 09:46

I never said I was leaving the hobby... I just find that I am spending less and less on Warhammer.

Currently I play Tau, sisters of battle, Eldar and Wood Elves - all of which are in dire need of an update! Is it too much to ask that cool armies get a little love?

When Necrons were released I couldn't wait to get started on them, but not having fliers released stopped me as frankly I hate starting an army and not being able to finish it for a year or 2 because of no minis. Now we find out there is a new release which contains special characters and tomb blades which nobody uses at all - probably the worst bits in the codex.

So forgive me if I am a tad peeved ok.

Also the FAQ's aren't that frequent, WD is still rubbish, and it isn't just this one kit - GW are systematically failing to get the kits that people really want released.

I have been a loyal GW customer for 14 years and it has never been as bad as the last couple of years!

Rabianegra
15-04-2012, 09:57
Well the big difference here is one of those fliers is our only true troop carrier. It would be like making marines play without their rinos.
Or Eldar play without the Serpent? Ask any veteran (old) Eldar player... ;)
It's been done in the past, but I too believe that all the remaning flyers (and others, following new codex releases) will be released after 6th ed.

Rogue Star
15-04-2012, 10:06
Currently I play Tau, sisters of battle, Eldar and Wood Elves - all of which are in dire need of an update!

As a hobby veteran, I think I see your problem - there isn't a single flavour of "Marine" in that list, how can you honestly expect GW to help you out with an update? :p ;)

Tymell
15-04-2012, 10:19
A shame to not see one of the flyers. I hope the rumours are wrong on this part.

Perfect illustration of the right and wrong ways to react to new releases. One expresses their opinion, even if it's a negative point such as wishing something else were in there instead, in a simple, polite fashion. The other comes across like Kevin from Harry Enfield and Chums :p

"No flyers? That is so unfair GW! I hate you! I'm running away from this army!"

Honestly, this sounds like a substantial wave, and I'm sure the flyers are on their way. It's not the end of the world, nor should it be the end of anyone's army. Personally I'd rather GW put these things in the codex and release them a year/18 months down the line than leave things out just because they can't release everything right away.

Chrisb3
15-04-2012, 10:27
There are no flyers. We get it.

Does this need to be discussed any further?

duffybear1988
15-04-2012, 11:08
As a hobby veteran, I think I see your problem - there isn't a single flavour of "Marine" in that list, how can you honestly expect GW to help you out with an update? :p ;)

I used to play Space Wolves before their 5th edition codex, but now it's way to easy to win with them and they are boring to play with and against.

@ Tymell - I used to have an attitude like Darnok (honestly) but my patience had been worn thin these last few years.

To be frank I would actually prefer it if units that didn't have models, and weren't getting them in the next 6 months were missed out of the codex, and then given a splash release with rules in WD (just like Eldar Nightspinner). It keeps the game fresh and means that waves can include kits for many armies and not just 1 or 2 at a time.

DJ3
15-04-2012, 11:19
I haven't seen anyone mention it in the thread, but it's been a constant expectation since the Codex release that Wraiths and Spyders would be a shared kit. They both had existing models that could have easily been converted to Finecast, but instead they discontinued them entirely, along with a dramatic redesign to the look of Wraiths in the Codex to make them more similar to Spyders:

That would give at least a little hope for a fourth plastic slot for the Scythe kit.

If not, despite all the rage/counter-rage in the thread, it's an objectively stupid decision by GW to handle it like this. Both Wraiths and Spyders are incredibly popular options in the new book--with some people requiring 9 Spyders and 12+ Wraiths--and have had to resort to conversions/other company's product (a lot of Wraith knock-offs popped up in the past few months) since the Codex release. For units that, under the old Codex, already had perfectly functional (and even great, in the case of Wraiths) metal models that could have just been ported to Finecast, made a ton of money, then re-released as new plastics at a much later date and made even more money.

Instead, they removed models people want to buy, giving them no option for 6 months, then were forced to use plastic release slot(s) to re-release those same models, possibly pushing back a different kit that similarly has no model option and people desperately want to buy.

So if this pushes back Scythes to August, they cost themselves 6 months of Finecast Spyder/Wraith sales and another four months of Scythe sales. There's just no sense in it.

Poncho160
15-04-2012, 11:29
It makes ense as Necrons arent the only product GW makes, they have 20+ other armies to consider. They can only make so much at one time. And I really dont think a few sales lost to an small time manufactuer would even register on GWs radar.

I might be reading the context of a lot of these posts wrong, but someone announces that GW are going to realease a sizeable wave of minatures and 90% of the replies are complaints! Would those people prefer GW didn't release anything?

Mr Ogre
15-04-2012, 11:33
Depends if they're altering the size of them.

Plus the original Tomb Spyder model is poop!

Quark
15-04-2012, 11:42
I never said I was leaving the hobby... I just find that I am spending less and less on Warhammer.

Currently I play Tau, sisters of battle, Eldar and Wood Elves - all of which are in dire need of an update! Is it too much to ask that cool armies get a little love?

I'm fairly new to the hobby, and this is why when I start my second army it will be Tyranid, based on the codex release date versus my first army, Eldar. This way I'll see codex updates as far from each other as possible, hopefully meaning not both are gimped at the same time.

TimLeeson
15-04-2012, 11:53
Well id like the night scythe too, since I don't take warriors anymore (got sick of them after over 3 editions !) but I'm very happy to get the triarch stalker and wraiths, personally :)

gutsmaka
15-04-2012, 11:54
wait, the white dwarf says next month is storm of magic add ons, so how can it be necrons as well?

DJ3
15-04-2012, 12:00
It makes ense as Necrons arent the only product GW makes, they have 20+ other armies to consider.

Huh? What I said had no impact on anything but the Necron models, so that's an absolutely meaningless thing to say. Nobody's saying to not release Tervigons or Thunderwolves to release Necrons.

Discontinuing models that exist (particularly when they are not then immediately re-released) and forcing them to be re-made prior to producing other all-new models is just silly. They didn't just delay the models, they actively removed them, which then creates a further delay for other new models.

Depends if they're altering the size of them.

Plus the original Tomb Spyder model is poop!

Personally, I'd been expecting them to be about the same size, but with the Wraith obviously being more vertical. The head, the large plating behind the head, and the "carapace" piece with the spine on it are all clearly capable of being the exact same bits, which is what led to so much speculation that they'd be a shared kit.

All you need is some claw bits and a "tail" to stand on for the Wraiths, and some legs and extension/underside bit to the carapace for the Spyders.

Just seems weird that they'd so dramatically redesign the Wraith to match the Spyder and then not have them as a shared kit, particularly with how heavily things are trending toward shared kits lately. But then again, it's pretty clear the Triarch Stalker is going to be made up of 90% bits that already exist in the Ark/Barge kits, so maybe they're just exploring a new route of re-using identical bits across multiple kits without them actually being the same box.

Cergorach
15-04-2012, 12:48
It makes ense as Necrons arent the only product GW makes, they have 20+ other armies to consider. They can only make so much at one time. And I really dont think a few sales lost to an small time manufactuer would even register on GWs radar.

Make that 30 other WFB/40k armies, and that's without counting LotR (those guys are currently especially screwed).

I might be reading the context of a lot of these posts wrong, but someone announces that GW are going to realease a sizeable wave of minatures and 90% of the replies are complaints! Would those people prefer GW didn't release anything?
Welcome to the interwebz! Where folks would complain if they were given free money, the amount would not be enough, the currency wouldn't be right, it wouldn't be new bills, and if they were new bills, the new bills suck...

GW tries to milk as many of it's customers as often as it can, that's why it won't release every kit at once or sequentially over a couple of months. You get a new army book with 5 new finecast kits, 5 old finecast kits and 4 plastic kits (to make 8 unit types) on release, which is huge imho. Three months after release a Battleforce, six months after initial release a second wave with four new plastic kits, 3 new finecast kits, and 2 old finecast upgrade kits. In another six months you might see the rest, or it could take years as with the Space Wolves and Tyranids. I expect that third part producers are now scrambling to make models for new resin kits that could represent the 'missing' flyers...

Born Again
15-04-2012, 13:08
Special Characters: Baron, Drazhar (has old model), Kheradruakh, Malys, Sliscus, Vect.
Squad Leaders: Aberration, Klaivex
Vehicles: Voidraven

I made a pretty recognizable and serviceable Klaivex by sticking the spare head from my Archon on an Incubi body, but yes, DE are severely lacking in special character models, if nothing else. Personally I'm waiting for Lady Malys.

On topic though, this looks like a good healthy release that I'm excited for. I like what they've done with the Necrons and am interested to see some of these more exotic troop types like the bikes and stalker. If there's no fliers, well, it's only a couple of models and other armies have waited much longer... as said, they could well pop up in a themed flier release, which with the current rumour lockdown and uncertainty, could be sooner than people expect.

Sami
15-04-2012, 13:30
Well, maybe you can tell us what we're supposed to call a transport that may only carry 2 different unit types (Warriors and Royal Court) cause it sure as heck isn't a true troop carrier.

Apologies, hadn't noticed that LG and Immortals can't take it. To be fair though, it's not as if Necrons have an abundance of units which ride around in them ;)

Battleworthy Arts
15-04-2012, 17:23
wait, the white dwarf says next month is storm of magic add ons, so how can it be necrons as well?

That's just a preview for an article.

Lord Damocles
15-04-2012, 17:39
I like how their 'artists sketch of the final model' for the Stalker looks just like the artwork in the codex. Who'd have guessed?! :p
It looks like GW have decided to stick with the six-legged version over the 'totally not a really obvious reference to The War of The Worlds, honest guv' three-legged version from Hammer and Anvil though.

Hopefully the Spyder/Wraith will be designed in such a way that having more than one won't result in a unit of clones (I'm looking at you, Grotesques :mad:)...

TimLeeson
15-04-2012, 17:58
Hopefully the Spyder/Wraith will be designed in such a way that having more than one won't result in a unit of clones (I'm looking at you, Grotesques :mad:)...

Hopefully that's a typo. It would be strange to not make them squads of at least 3. Same goes for the Tomb Blade which I would of thought would be sold as a squad akin to the dark eldar reaver jetbike.

Gharnukk
15-04-2012, 18:32
Where am I going to fit this in between my Lizardmen and upcoming Empire :p
Guess I have to stick with my Necron army as it is for a while longer :shifty:

TheConverter15
15-04-2012, 19:00
I'm guessing Wraiths will be 3 in a box (plastic) and priced the same as the Tomb Kings Necropolis Knights (33) as they are pretty much the same unit just turned into a fantasty unit :p

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat570034a&rootCatGameStyle=

brassangel
15-04-2012, 19:20
I used to play Space Wolves before their 5th edition codex, but now it's way to easy to win with them and they are boring to play with and against.

@ Tymell - I used to have an attitude like Darnok (honestly) but my patience had been worn thin these last few years.

To be frank I would actually prefer it if units that didn't have models, and weren't getting them in the next 6 months were missed out of the codex, and then given a splash release with rules in WD (just like Eldar Nightspinner). It keeps the game fresh and means that waves can include kits for many armies and not just 1 or 2 at a time.

So instead of having the rules in the codex, with models later, you want the rules in a separate publication, and the models still later anyway? Your way keeps the game no more "fresh," and simply adds to the paper that people have to carry around.

A wave is a wave. Late still makes it fresh. Heck, the Tervigon/Tyrannofex and Hive Tyrant releases have been the best-selling plastic kits from GW in almost 3 years, yet everyone said it was "too little too late" for a "stillborn" army.

ON TOPIC: I have a small Necron force going, and I welcome this hefty wave. I could cry about one model missing, but someone would have done the same if the Wraiths, or the Spyders, or Zandrekh, etc., were left out. There will always be people mad at everything no matter what.

ironduke
15-04-2012, 20:23
I for one I am glad at this news if it is correct.

Probably buy one of everything when it comes out.

cheers
Ironduke

SideshowLucifer
16-04-2012, 03:36
I wouldn't be the least bit upset if the damn Ark could carry immortals or even Lychguard, but missing or only true troop transport it gets annoying. I'm peachy with everything else and glad we are finally getting the next wave of releases, I had just really hopped for my transport.

The Dude
16-04-2012, 05:18
I wouldn't be the least bit upset if the damn Ark could carry immortals or even Lychguard, but missing or only true troop transport it gets annoying.

Does that mean the Land Raider is the only "true" Marine transport? Because I can't get Terminators into my Rhinos, Razorbacks or Drop Pods.

DJ3
16-04-2012, 05:31
Does that mean the Land Raider is the only "true" Marine transport? Because I can't get Terminators into my Rhinos, Razorbacks or Drop Pods.

Hey, if the situation was "one unit" cannot fit into "one of our many Transport vehicles," I think people would be in a whole lot less of a hurry.

Instead, it is "all but one unit" cannot fit into "the only other Transport vehicle." You may see how this is different. In fact, you may see how this is nearly the opposite of what you said.

So if you remove Rhinos, Razorbacks, and Drop Pods from the game, and we were instead talking about needing Land Raiders because our Tactical Marines (and everything else except Scouts) cannot fit in our Land Speeder Storm, you'd have a rather fair comparison on your hands.

Unlike that one, because that one is hilarious.

Note: Terminators can ride in Drop Pods.

Rick Blaine
16-04-2012, 05:34

The analogy would make sense if Rhinos could only carry Scouts. Immortals are hardly Terminator-class elites.

The Dude
16-04-2012, 05:51
The analogy would make sense if Rhinos could only carry Scouts. Immortals are hardly Terminator-class elites.

It doesn't matter what you feel they are worth in-game, Warriors are the bulk-standard troops choice (as are Power Armoured Marines), and they have a Transport. One that can bring them back to life, no less.

Yeah, it sorta sucks that you don't have an official model to transport the other stuff, but the only real reason to make a complaint about this is because of your own choices. You choose to not take Warriors. You choose not to convert or proxy. You choose to only play in hardcore WYSIWYG environments.

I don't think it's all that fair to get too worked up at GW for that.

Archibald_TK
16-04-2012, 08:32
Hehe, I must admit that one made me chuckle, I was expecting someone would say that missing the Night Scythe yet having the Ark would be like releasing the SM for the first time with only the LR but missing the Rhinos/Razorbacks. I was not expecting someone to make the opposite comparison :)

gutsmaka
16-04-2012, 09:40
Note: Terminators can ride in Drop Pods.

agree with you on all points but this. termies cannot ride in da pods. otherwise my pod list would change significantly

DJ3
16-04-2012, 10:32
agree with you on all points but this. termies cannot ride in da pods. otherwise my pod list would change significantly

Terminators can absolutely ride in Drop Pods, they just cannot purchase them. Except the ones who can--Wolf Guard Terminators can buy, and ride in, a Drop Pod.

The other Marines still have the capability to put Terminator Armour in a Drop Pod, though, because any Terminator IC can still ride along with a unit in their Pod if they so wish. It used to not be uncommon to see Lysander arriving with Sternguard in a Pod.

Darnok
16-04-2012, 10:33
Rules discussions have their own subforum...

Darnok [=I=]

GreySeerZ
16-04-2012, 13:09
... and we all know GW is so focused on catering to competitive tournament play. :rolleyes: ;)

The scythe spam list is a popular build, regardless of any competitive business.

No... GW just makes it a priority to release models which will sell the best first. A lot of beginning/experienced players come to these forums to find out what is the best way they can defeat their friends new GK army. No one will suggest scythe spam, that is for sure. I'm sure if you compared the number of sold boxes of wraiths, to the sold boxes of scythes there would be a pretty big discrepancy. Also, if you compared the number of people actually playing scythe spam (which is expensive in its own right, considering you have to buy all the transports AND all the troops to fill them) to people playing rounded builds or other spams, it would also be comparatively low.

There is a reason why no Void Ravens have hit the shelves yet. The Razorwing and Ravager are both better competitive choices, and have therefore they were deemed to sell better, and were released first. Sure there may be 2/3 people who go out and buy 3 void ravens and spam them, but I guarantee there were a hundred times more people who went out and bought 3 razorwings or 3 ravagers. It just makes sense.

Now, with the release of an expansion focused on fliers, it is much safer to release fliers that may not see the light of day in most competitive lists. Suddenly you have a reason to take them, as the rules will most likely favor multiple fliers, and play to the strengths that the regular system deems weaknesses. Anyway, I may buy a Void raven, but I most likely won't buy 3, just like most of my Necron friends are not planning on scythe spamming anytime soon, and have created some pretty cool conversions as replacements when they do...

loveless
16-04-2012, 13:27
Well, that's pretty much everything I wanted to see. I'm fine waiting on the flyers if I get my Canopteks and Tomb Blades. Pity to see them transferring the Heavy Destroyer and Destroyer Lord to Finecast upgrades - I'd hoped they'd just do an additional Destroyer sprue. Ah well.

Grimdesign
16-04-2012, 13:40
great stuff, Anything Necron gets me excited.

1. Still surprised that the wraith/spider isn't a duel kit and hoping each box is a threesome rather than a solo (I mean that in the least dirtiest way possible)
2. kind of wish the "destroyer upgrades" were just added into the original box, but that's neither here nor there.
3. Destroyer upgrades are probably a web exclusive, I cant really see them being sold in stores.
4. hopefully the wraiths and spiders aren't finecast, they lend themselves to be better plastics.

thx for the news!

Cheeslord
16-04-2012, 13:41
The old spindly thin design for the heavy destroyer cannon was barely viable in metal - I hope they will redesign it in finecast so it is a bit more chunky (the sprue attachments in Finecast are sometimes very thick so fine bits of the model easily break off when trying to separate them).

hope the Destroyer Lord comes with a wide variety of weapon options, but finecast kits don't usually do that (still, if its a "conversion" kit there should be more room for weapon options)

Mark.

SideshowLucifer
16-04-2012, 15:30
It doesn't matter what you feel they are worth in-game, Warriors are the bulk-standard troops choice (as are Power Armoured Marines), and they have a Transport. One that can bring them back to life, no less.

Yeah, it sorta sucks that you don't have an official model to transport the other stuff, but the only real reason to make a complaint about this is because of your own choices. You choose to not take Warriors. You choose not to convert or proxy. You choose to only play in hardcore WYSIWYG environments.

I don't think it's all that fair to get too worked up at GW for that.

Really?
Normally you have intelligent retorts but this one is just asinine.
Of course there is no "fault" and I suppose I could follow your line of logic and say it's my fault for playing Necrons instead of one of the marine chapters.
As others have pointed out, warriors do not make up the bulk basic troop of nearly any Necron army. We have no transports for our assault troops at all, nor do we have transports for the unit that does truely make up the bulk of our armies, Immortals.
I have the right to get worked up as I'm a paying consumer. I have never claimed it is the end of the world, just that I was disappointed; which I have ever right to be.
This is an edition ruled by transports, so it is disheartening when my army doesn't receive their non-dedicated transport.

MajorWesJanson
16-04-2012, 18:15
Destroyer upgrades going to finecast makes a lot of sense. They can only put out so many kits at a time, so new units get favored, and finecast is a stopgap to end metal production for now. A fully plastic destroyer with options may be planned for a later release.

jspyd3rx
16-04-2012, 18:47
I bet the upgrade sprue for heavy and lord destroyer are the same exact pieces they have now in metal. Just finecast now.

Machinepriest
16-04-2012, 18:50
I bet the upgrade sprue for heavy and lord destroyer are the same exact pieces they have now in metal. Just finecast now.

That would be very disappointing, but not surprising.
I like the look of the current Destroyer Lord, but the Heavy Destroyers aren't that hot.

Starchild
16-04-2012, 23:47
Really?
Normally you have intelligent retorts but this one is just asinine.
Of course there is no "fault" and I suppose I could follow your line of logic and say it's my fault for playing Necrons instead of one of the marine chapters.
As others have pointed out, warriors do not make up the bulk basic troop of nearly any Necron army. We have no transports for our assault troops at all, nor do we have transports for the unit that does truely make up the bulk of our armies, Immortals.
I have the right to get worked up as I'm a paying consumer. I have never claimed it is the end of the world, just that I was disappointed; which I have ever right to be.
This is an edition ruled by transports, so it is disheartening when my army doesn't receive their non-dedicated transport.I have to point out that the lack of a dedicated transport for many Necron units goes a long way toward making Necrons a well balanced army. Cheers to Mat Ward for taking a page out of Phil Kelly's latest codex and creating an army that's actually fun to play against. (I wish I could say the same for the 5th ed. Imperial codices when they are so easily abused.)

Azzy
17-04-2012, 01:10
So, given the alleged release date, when can we expect pics?

Shas'O'Stormblade
17-04-2012, 01:16
So, given the alleged release date, when can we expect pics?

If I were to guess, about a week or 2 at the latest.

Azzy
17-04-2012, 01:24
Thanks! I look forward to it.

The Dude
17-04-2012, 02:03
As others have pointed out, warriors do not make up the bulk basic troop of nearly any Necron army.

Again, what people feel is "competitive" now and what GW saw as the standard thematic makeup of a Necron force during development are rather different. GW decided before the release of the Codex that the existing "undead horde" theme would continue to be the standard "look and feel". Yes, other builds are possible, and that was also a purposeful decision, but the Warrior Phalanx was always going to remain the staple in their eyes. Add to this the fact that most of the units are new and GW had no idea what people would be using as their "competitive" build. It's clear that whomever does their play-testing has no interest in breaking the list ;)

Anyway, GW clearly thought the Phalanx was going to be the way to go, and have been gearing their releases towards that from the start. Hell, the Necron Fliers may not even have been started when the Codex was released. It takes a long time to run kits through the development and release cycle. It's not like they can see a month after release what people want and quickly change gears to meet that demand. It simply doesn't work that way.

I hope this clarifies my position without being too asinine ;)

This would be my thought too.

SideshowLucifer
17-04-2012, 02:11
I do understand it a bit in that context.
Still a bummer though :p

d6juggernaut
17-04-2012, 03:33
All I really needed were Wraiths and the fliers, everything else I can convert, but they just had to hold back the fliers. Thus delaying my army's completion even more, blast.

Those Wraith models had better be amazing though.

Spiney Norman
17-04-2012, 09:34
great stuff, Anything Necron gets me excited.

1. Still surprised that the wraith/spider isn't a duel kit and hoping each box is a threesome rather than a solo (I mean that in the least dirtiest way possible)
2. kind of wish the "destroyer upgrades" were just added into the original box, but that's neither here nor there.
3. Destroyer upgrades are probably a web exclusive, I cant really see them being sold in stores.
4. hopefully the wraiths and spiders aren't finecast, they lend themselves to be better plastics.

thx for the news!

hmmm, I was also expecting the wraiths/spiders to be the same kit, I guess that means that wraiths will be 3 to a box and spiders will be slightly bigger and 1 to a box about the same price as the DE talos.

I'm also quite glad the heavy destroyer parts are an upgrade pack and not redoing the basic destroyer kit, now I can rip the arms off a few of the 15 plastic destroyers I accrued last edition and use them as heavies. At least that massive gun cast in finecast wont horrifically unbalance the model like the metal one used to, this is about the only think I actually approve of finecast for because it actually has an advantage over the metal to counterbalance all of the inherent disadvantages of the material.

Slightly disappointed about the lack of scythes, but I am content to wait, I just spent about 100 on new Empire stuff for my fantasy army so my wallet could do with a break. I might have to pick up some Tomb Blades though, and of course the HeavyD upgrade pack.

Machinepriest
17-04-2012, 09:46
I'm really starting to worry that we'll get finecast Spyders and Wraiths.
Has anyone 'in the know' confirmed that these will be plastic?
That was my initial thought, that we would get a box that could build either since they look so similar in the artwork.

Snorlaxboom
17-04-2012, 10:18
wraiths and spyders "should" be plastic in a 3box. this is just an assumption following the the release of the thunderwolves and demigryphs boxsets

MajorWesJanson
17-04-2012, 13:55
Wraiths 3 to a box is almost a given.
Spyders I doubt 3 to a box, as they are larger and blukeir than Wraiths. Maybe like Mournfangs, they will be 2 to a box, with some scarab swarms included?

kabalite
17-04-2012, 15:46
So when can we expect pics of the new models?

MajorWesJanson
17-04-2012, 16:41
So when can we expect pics of the new models?

I'd guess in about 10-11 days.

Badruk
17-04-2012, 17:02
Initial rumour back in Feb was 4 Plastic and 4 Finecast
Assumption*
Plastic
Stalker
Tomb Blade, 3 per box, matching DE Reaver price
Wraiths, hope to be a 5box kit, depends on the size, will drop to 3
Spider, remember the Spider is a MC, so suspect to be the same size of the DE Talos Pain

Finecast
2x Special Characters
Destroyers and Heavy Destroyers

What should be left:
Night/Doom Scythe
Anrakyr the Traveller, which suck... one of the most popular SC in the Necrons dex...

Edit: After rechecking the codex, Wraiths will be a 3 per box, max squad size is 6... but around 10days before next WD, suspect infos to be leak by Next wednesday.

DJ3
18-04-2012, 01:08
What should be left:
Night/Doom Scythe
Anrakyr the Traveller, which suck... one of the most popular SC in the Necrons dex...

Orikan the Diviner and Illuminor Szeras would also not have models, by that count. Szeras is in the new rumors, which is a bit shocking, because...literally noone uses him. If you claim to use him, I will counter-claim that you are imaginary. He's also a weird spider-man-thing that really doesn't fit with anything else in the book, or even function as a good "counts-as" for anything else. Maybe they've just got a really awesome model for him and they expect it'll sell on looks alone.

And while I personally love Anrakyr, his popularity dropped like a rock following the CCB nerf. He's rather rare now--Imotekh and Zahndrekh are the only really "common" SCs, with Obyron somewhere after. It's good to get Zahndrekh and Obyron's models, as they are rather "unique," whereas Anrakyr can easily be filled in for by the standard Warscythe Overlord.

Spiney Norman
18-04-2012, 08:55
I'm really starting to worry that we'll get finecast Spyders and Wraiths.
Has anyone 'in the know' confirmed that these will be plastic?
That was my initial thought, that we would get a box that could build either since they look so similar in the artwork.

The spider is a possibility as the old model isn't so different from the artwork in the codex, but I really don't think they can just recycle the old wraith models, the artwork looks literally nothing like the old models at all, they've gone from essentially CC immortals with long tails instead of legs to smaller versions of the Tomb Spyders.

I would also quite like a Szeras model, not to use as Szeras, but he's essentially an arch-Cryptek that has modified his legs right? Sounds like a good count-as cryptek to me

Still unless the spyders are uncommonly cheap I will have to limit myself to Zahndrek and some Heavy D upgrade pieces.

Phaeron Setek
18-04-2012, 17:15
@The Dude,

I think the Warrior Phalanx is a remnant of the old Codex, left in to allow old players (like myself) to still use the mobs of Warriors that were (in the past) the ONLY way to field a Necron army. With the addition of Immortals to the Troops section, the nerfing of the Warrior saves, and the reduction in minimum squad size of warriors from 10 to 5, it seems that GW has stepped back from the "giant blob of Warrior bullet sponges" and made the army more competitive as a whole. In the months since the codex release, I have seen an overwhelming number of players with 10-strong Immortal units leading the charge, with 5-strong Warrior units set up with Stormteks/Transmoteks as bodyguards. I fielded a 15-strong unit of Warriors the last time I played, and got a lot of puzzled looks from other players. The mindset of what a Necron army is has changed a lot since the new codex.

That said, the lack of the Scythe in the proposed release schedule puts a dent in a lot of builds. The inability to transport Immortals, Deathmarks, and Lychguard forces players into the slow foot-slogging march into enemy fire.

(And yes, a unit of Deathmarks with and attached Phaeron and a Tek or two makes for a viscous character/bodyguard-hunting unit.)

brassangel
18-04-2012, 17:25
All I really needed were Wraiths and the fliers, everything else I can convert, but they just had to hold back the fliers. Thus delaying my army's completion even more, blast.

Those Wraith models had better be amazing though.

They may not even be done with them, so "holding them back" may not be an appropriate statement to make.

@The Dude,

I think the Warrior Phalanx is a remnant of the old Codex, left in to allow old players (like myself) to still use the mobs of Warriors that were (in the past) the ONLY way to field a Necron army. With the addition of Immortals to the Troops section, the nerfing of the Warrior saves, and the reduction in minimum squad size of warriors from 10 to 5, it seems that GW has stepped back from the "giant blob of Warrior bullet sponges" and made the army more competitive as a whole. In the months since the codex release, I have seen an overwhelming number of players with 10-strong Immortal units leading the charge, with 5-strong Warrior units set up with Stormteks/Transmoteks as bodyguards. I fielded a 15-strong unit of Warriors the last time I played, and got a lot of puzzled looks from other players. The mindset of what a Necron army is has changed a lot since the new codex.

That said, the lack of the Scythe in the proposed release schedule puts a dent in a lot of builds. The inability to transport Immortals, Deathmarks, and Lychguard forces players into the slow foot-slogging march into enemy fire.

(And yes, a unit of Deathmarks with and attached Phaeron and a Tek or two makes for a viscous character/bodyguard-hunting unit.)

Tell that to David Key, who went 5-0-1 to a 2nd place finish at Kingdom-Con with no vehicles in his Necron build whatsoever. That included a 10-man Lychguard unit.

I guess I have never seen or heard of anyone claiming that the Scythe variants are necessary in a Necron army. The only thing I've seen is the emergence of whiners when it appears as though GW won't be releasing them for a while, but people always like to whine about GW even when it's not justified.

Ace Rimmer
18-04-2012, 17:33
Plus with rumour's suggesting a re-orientation towards infantry over tanks, holding back the flyer's for a later flyer release (should it happen) would lend itself to making necron players field a foot-slogging force anyway, ready for 6th Edition.

If that turns out to be true anyway.

Or maybe it's just a pain in the ass kit like the void raven.

burni
18-04-2012, 18:08
In the various active threads going on at the moment there's been a couple of interesting things said;

Boxed possible Ork fighta's sitting on shelves near the Necron releases and the next WD.
SM dropping the words "Ork Copta's" with no further info.
A rumour that May has 2 40k 'waves'

Now I find it extremely unlikely that an Ork release of this size has slipped under the radar for this long. Plus the fact that with 4 plastic kits for Necron's alone, it's incredibly unlikely that there'd be more in the same month (has GW ever done more than 4 large kits in a month?)

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE it to be true but not holding my breath. Still I thought I'd bring it up if only to have it shot down by peep's in the know.

Darnok
18-04-2012, 18:19
Boxed possible Ork fighta's sitting on shelves near the Necron releases and the next WD.

The Ork Fighta rumour is an older one. It definitely didn't just pop up these days. On the contrary, I thought it would be common knowledge by now...

TimLeeson
18-04-2012, 18:20
In the various active threads going on at the moment there's been a couple of interesting things said;

SM dropping the words "Ork Copta's" with no further info.
A rumour that May has 2 40k 'waves'

Now I find it extremely unlikely that an Ork release of this size has slipped under the radar for this long. Plus the fact that with 4 plastic kits for Necron's alone, it's incredibly unlikely that there'd be more in the same month (has GW ever done more than 4 large kits in a month?)

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE it to be true but not holding my breath. Still I thought I'd bring it up if only to have it shot down by peep's in the know.

I'm pretty sure the 5th ed dark eldar release had 6 kits, but then it being a total reboot id think it would be more logical to consider than an exception. Allthough, I think one of the expansion releases had 6 kits too between various armies, but I'm very unsure on that - I could be misremembering things. I guess it's possible if they really wanted to pack lots of stuff in - I guess April has been "packed" with the paint release/empire release.

burni
18-04-2012, 18:32
The Ork Fighta rumour is an older one. It definitely didn't just pop up these days. On the contrary, I thought it would be common knowledge by now...

Oh yes, that's very true but I meant that, with the rumour about someone seeing it with the Necron stuff, it seems unlikely we could be 2 weeks away from its release and not know it. But then again GW is getting very sneaky! :)

Phaeron Setek
18-04-2012, 22:17
I guess I have never seen or heard of anyone claiming that the Scythe variants are necessary in a Necron army. The only thing I've seen is the emergence of whiners when it appears as though GW won't be releasing them for a while, but people always like to whine about GW even when it's not justified.

Yes, it is inconcievable to complain that the transport for almost all units other than Warriors keeps getting delayed...

In any case, I've started converting one to use, so its not really an issue. When its done, I'll post it in the Project Logs forum.

Grimdesign
18-04-2012, 23:22
@The Dude,

I run warrior squads in 20s, its not the "right" way to play them by popular internet wisdom but I have more luck with them than I do immortals. I'm been told warriors are "op" now, those Gauss weapons are ace!

Lord Khabal
19-04-2012, 09:58
warrior blobs are overpowered? lol

anyway, if the wraith models are good (similar to the artwork) and (cross fingers) not finecrap, I'll probably start necrons. Hopefully there are 3 in a box. Spiders will probably be 1 in a box, but hopefully wont be too expensive. I just hope they get rid of the skimmer / jetbike base and place it on a "normal" monster base.

MajorWesJanson
19-04-2012, 10:44
Probably still a skimmer base, but the new ones are far better than the old ones. Built in sockets make life much easier.

Phaeron Setek
19-04-2012, 11:25
I run warrior squads in 20s, its not the "right" way to play them by popular internet wisdom but I have more luck with them than I do immortals. I'm been told warriors are "op" now, those Gauss weapons are ace!

Yes, its always funny to rapid fire into a dreadnought and obliterate it on the turn before it was going to charge you...

And I'm still holding out hope for a Wraith/Spyder combo kit. But, should the spyders be 1 to a box, I also hope they upsize them a bit to show the whole scarab hive look. The current spyders don't look (in my opinion) like they could spawn an army of scarabs.

Badruk
19-04-2012, 11:31
Yes, its always funny to rapid fire into a dreadnought and obliterate it on the turn before it was going to charge you...

And I'm still holding out hope for a Wraith/Spyder combo kit. But, should the spyders be 1 to a box, I also hope they upsize them a bit to show the whole scarab hive look. The current spyders don't look (in my opinion) like they could spawn an army of scarabs.

Indeed it fun! The Spider is a MC, so expect it to be a 1 per box, but I think it will come with some Scarab base also. To attract new player that doesnt want to use Warrior, there is no other way to get scarab base right now if you buy at the retailer store.

RTB01
19-04-2012, 11:32
They may not even be done with them, so "holding them back" may not be an appropriate statement to make.

Tell that to David Key, who went 5-0-1 to a 2nd place finish at Kingdom-Con with no vehicles in his Necron build whatsoever. That included a 10-man Lychguard unit.

Nice to see an infantry army do well rather than the mechanised hordes we tend to get

The Underdog
19-04-2012, 16:25
Oh yes, that's very true but I meant that, with the rumour about someone seeing it with the Necron stuff, it seems unlikely we could be 2 weeks away from its release and not know it. But then again GW is getting very sneaky! :)

Ok that would be me - First off I can confirm that I saw Wraiths and Tomb Spider boxes being readied for shipping. Neither appears to be finecast (no logo on the box) and from the size of the box i would guess at wraiths being 3 per box. Can't comment on the spider box size as it was further away. I also got a look at the cover of next months WD (in spanish so I have no idea what it said) and it has a huge Necron on it so we can guess release date from that.

Oh - and I did see what appeared to be an Ork fighta sat on shelves so it is boxed and ready but wasn't being moved about for shipping like the Necron stuff so that could mean it's later this month or even ready for the month after - I have no idea. All i know is that it was there.

SideshowLucifer
20-04-2012, 03:24
I want to see if the new GW spyders are going to be really nice. Right now, puppetswar has a nice one that comes with scarabs.

vaughany86
20-04-2012, 08:19
Our spies have infiltrated the Nottingham warehouses at Warhammer World and we can guarantee the release of all new plastic NECRON DOOMSCYTHES AND WRAITHS!! Also we have seen what seems to be a mysterious new ork plastic flyer/skimmer! We think it may be a plastic fighta bomba ready for all new 6th edition!! - Sam

So this goes completely against what BoW were saying with regards to the 2nd wave release, guess we'll start seeing leaks from White Dwarf within the next few days I'd imagine

Chris

Darnok
20-04-2012, 08:36
Our spies have infiltrated the Nottingham warehouses at Warhammer World and we can guarantee the release of all new plastic NECRON DOOMSCYTHES AND WRAITHS!! Also we have seen what seems to be a mysterious new ork plastic flyer/skimmer! We think it may be a plastic fighta bomba ready for all new 6th edition!! - Sam

So this goes completely against what BoW were saying with regards to the 2nd wave release, guess we'll start seeing leaks from White Dwarf within the next few days I'd imagine

Chris

Well, not completely...

The only true addition to previous rumours is the Doom Scythe. Both Wraiths and Ork Fighta/Bomba were previously mentioned.

MajorWesJanson
20-04-2012, 09:32
Indeed. Will have to save money for orky fighter-bomba goodness. Wonder if it will come with the ball turret or not.

As for The scythe getting a release, does this mean 5 kits for May? 6 with the Ork Fighta? If not, will the Scythe dump one of the other rumored Cron kits out? It seems that the Scythe, Spyder, and Wraith boxes have been seen, as well as the Ork Fighta. How about the Tomb Blades and Triarch walker thing? Did one or both of them get bumped to a wave 3?

Badruk
20-04-2012, 11:21
Indeed. Will have to save money for orky fighter-bomba goodness. Wonder if it will come with the ball turret or not.

As for The scythe getting a release, does this mean 5 kits for May? 6 with the Ork Fighta? If not, will the Scythe dump one of the other rumored Cron kits out? It seems that the Scythe, Spyder, and Wraith boxes have been seen, as well as the Ork Fighta. How about the Tomb Blades and Triarch walker thing? Did one or both of them get bumped to a wave 3?

I doubt... The Doom/Night Scythe is maybe ready to go, doesn't mean it will get release on May 5. Could be release as a special Flyers release close to July with 6th Edition.
Since Feb. we are talking as of wave 2: 4 Plastic, 4 Finecast.
Stalker, Tomb Blades, Wraiths & Spider. 2 Special characters and Destroyer upgrade kit (Heavy & Lord).
More news next week :)

KarlPedder
20-04-2012, 11:23
Does their presence in the factory automatically equate to their release next month or is it possible that Necron wave for May is 4 kits with no Flyer and that both the Necron and Ork Flyers spotted are due for release over the next few months?

underhivetrader
20-04-2012, 11:52
All sounds very awesome, fingers crossed Necron Players get some nice sculpts.

Can't wait to see the new minis across the table.

UHT

Avian
20-04-2012, 11:55
Does their presence in the factory automatically equate to their release next month or is it possible that Necron wave for May is 4 kits with no Flyer and that both the Necron and Ork Flyers spotted are due for release over the next few months?
It could also be that the Necron and/or Ork Flyers are not spotted. Just saying'. :shifty:

DJ3
20-04-2012, 12:17

I'd be least upset about the loss of the Triarch Stalkers.

At the Indy GT, we had three Necron players show up with converted Stalkers, all virtually identical. The parts from the Ghost Ark allow you to build a Triarch Stalker that is so close to the Codex artwork that it's virtually guaranteed some of those exact bits will be recycled on the actual Stalker when it's released.

As random as those drive-by Scythe rumors were, I'll go ahead and hope they're true. If anything, the Ork Bomba gives me some genuine hope that they might release them, just as something to offset the...weirdness? of randomly releasing an Ork flier with no current rules in standard 40k. Allows them to tie the two together and throw in some random pictures of them dogfighting, etc.

Ah-a-nothepsis
20-04-2012, 14:34
randomly releasing an Ork flier with no current rules in standard 40k

Terrorgeist for Fantasy? That was WD yes? Maybe the ork thing will be WD.. but it makes sense that they could save the box for a 6th edition release. I hope it's just a skimmer or something, though. Not sure I am ready to step outside the infantry box in the next edition and play with jets.

Won't make much of a difference in my games if they release it before 6th. 150 orks with a Flier is no different than fighting 200 orks on foot with Thousand Sons

DJ3
20-04-2012, 16:17
Terrorgeist for Fantasy?

I don't know the slightest thing about Fantasy, but it looks like that's a dual kit, and I assume the other thing is in the Army Book? They did the same thing with the new Fire Prism, which can also be a Night Spinner, which had no rules at the time. But those are entirely different situations, they're releasing a necessary model and essentially just tacking on extra bits to make something "new." There's certainly nothing in the current Ork book that a Bomba could dual-kit with.

jspyd3rx
20-04-2012, 16:27
Hehe, anyone who knows Ork players knows that all their kits can be turned into anything.

MajorWesJanson
21-04-2012, 02:06
Hehe, anyone who knows Ork players knows that all their kits can be turned into anything.

Yep. It could be a Fighta-bomba/Looted Wagon kit for all we know.

Spiney Norman
21-04-2012, 06:31
I'd be least upset about the loss of the Triarch Stalkers.

Me too, a 150pt open-topped walker with a single 24" range gun just doesn't appeal to me.

snottlebocket
21-04-2012, 11:26
Me too, a 150pt open-topped walker with a single 24" range gun just doesn't appeal to me.

Heh. For me the triarch stalker is the unit I look forward to the most. Mostly because I love the idea of spidery robot walkers firing ray guns. From a gameplay perspective they're still a walker that stalks towards the enemy, making your own weaponsfire more effective before charging in and being a serious nuisance in melee with it's effective armor 13.

Chrisb3
21-04-2012, 12:01
They can take a 36'' Twin Linked Heavy Gauss Cannon.

ozzie347
21-04-2012, 13:00
They can take a 36'' Twin Linked Heavy Gauss Cannon.

Making them an even bigger waste of points. The Heat Ray is pretty much the only reason to take them

Spiney Norman
21-04-2012, 13:25
Heh. For me the triarch stalker is the unit I look forward to the most. Mostly because I love the idea of spidery robot walkers firing ray guns. From a gameplay perspective they're still a walker that stalks towards the enemy, making your own weaponsfire more effective before charging in and being a serious nuisance in melee with it's effective armor 13.

The thing is the stalker is equipped with the wrong gun to buff shooting, a dedicated anti-vehicle weapon is good news for the Necron book, but even assuming a two shot melta gun fails to destroy what you're shooting at, are you really going to want to pepper the vehicle in question with gauss and tesla fire just because of the twin linked thing? and yes I know gauss can auto glance vehicles, but there is almost always a better target to shoot your gauss at than the land raider your melta gun is aiming for.

And yes, a single shot twinked heavy gauss cannon is a far worse weapon to give the stalker than the heat ray, but I think the particle shredder has mileage as it can potentially drop on several units at once.

I'll probably wait and see what the model looks like, the problem with Necrons is that all our fun toys are extremely expensive and I very much like my doomsday ark. The thing I'm most looking forward to is Nemesor Zahndrek, it will be nice not having to explain to my opponent that the plastic overlord model I'm using it actually a SC who doesn't have a model.

Souleater
21-04-2012, 16:26
I very much hope the destroyer conversion bits are new and not just finecasts of the old bits.

Erazmus_M_Wattle
21-04-2012, 17:44
It could also be that the Necron and/or Ork Flyers are not spotted. Just saying'. :shifty:

It could be that the Necron and Ork flyers have been spotted. Just sayin'

I've 'heard' the Ork fighta has parts on it's hull that have been cannibalised from a rhino. I've 'heard' it's very much in the same ball park as it's Forgeworld relatives although it's original in it's own way.

I've not 'heard' about the Necron flyer though. I can confirm the Ork one though and that'd certainly add credibility to the Doomscythe rumour.

burni
21-04-2012, 19:36

I've 'heard' the Ork fighta has parts on it's hull that have been cannibalised from a rhino. I've 'heard' it's very much in the same ball park as it's Forgeworld relatives although it's original in it's own way.

I've not 'heard' about the Necron flyer though. I can confirm the Ork one though and that'd certainly add credibility to the Doomscythe rumour.

Thanks for the info but i wanted to ask; Are you saying the Ork fighta is coming this month or just that it exists?

Voss
21-04-2012, 19:51
I very much hope the destroyer conversion bits are new and not just finecasts of the old bits.

Odds are good on finecast replacements. If they were really going to do new bits, they could have just redone the destroyer kit and added the heavy and destroyer lord bits to the sprue.

Spiney Norman
21-04-2012, 19:58

I'm kinda expecting them to be remakes of the old metal parts, casting new components in finecast would make very little sense when it would be far more sensible to do an additional plastic mini-sprue and add it to the standard destroyer box. I'll be rather gutted if it turns out they've made a new bit out of finecast because it means we'll be stuck with a naff hybrid kit that you have to buy in two stages (destroyer plus upgrade) for the foreseeable future, rather than a finecast stop-gap measure until they redo the destroyer kit properly with all it's options in there.

The only advantage I can see with the finecast kit is I'll be able to rip the arms off some of my old unused destroyers and turn them into heavies more easily, while an upgrade kit helps those with existing collections it doesn't really help people who are just starting out.

Souleater
21-04-2012, 20:02
Honestly, I was hoping for a mini-plastic sprue that contained the conversion bits for both (which could simply be dropped in with the existing sprues). I fear you gentlemen are correct.

GW2lag
21-04-2012, 21:43
When can we expect pics? and should the pre-order be up this weekend?

Darnok
21-04-2012, 22:13
New WD and advance orders are out on 28th, pictures can be expected from Monday onwards. My personal guess would be Tuesday.

IcedAnimals
22-04-2012, 00:15
The thing is the stalker is equipped with the wrong gun to buff shooting, a dedicated anti-vehicle weapon is good news for the Necron book, but even assuming a two shot melta gun fails to destroy what you're shooting at, are you really going to want to pepper the vehicle in question with gauss and tesla fire just because of the twin linked thing? and yes I know gauss can auto glance vehicles, but there is almost always a better target to shoot your gauss at than the land raider your melta gun is aiming for.

And yes, a single shot twinked heavy gauss cannon is a far worse weapon to give the stalker than the heat ray, but I think the particle shredder has mileage as it can potentially drop on several units at once.

I'll probably wait and see what the model looks like, the problem with Necrons is that all our fun toys are extremely expensive and I very much like my doomsday ark. The thing I'm most looking forward to is Nemesor Zahndrek, it will be nice not having to explain to my opponent that the plastic overlord model I'm using it actually a SC who doesn't have a model.

You are looking at the stalker wrong. It isn't a melta weapon that twinlinks. It is a "twinlinker" that happens to be melta. Seriously, a ghost ark+warriors or blob squad of warriors firing twin linked causes like 18 wounds on t4. And it doesn't just twin link warriors it twin links EVERYTHING. Fail to destroy that dreadnaught/tank with it? Now your already amazing destroyer/chrono court is twin linked. Use it to twin link your doomsday ark. If you are really annoyed by its melta weapon being "wasted" on infantry there is the particle whatever as well. Large blasts are decently hard to miss with too requiring a decent scatter.

This is seriously my most looked forward to model GW has released this year. A good unit especially in av13 spam which is all they have released so far. So it will go nicely with the rest of my army. I am picking up two for sure.

GW2lag
22-04-2012, 00:35
New WD and advance orders are out on 28th, pictures can be expected from Monday onwards. My personal guess would be Tuesday.

Thank you very much, I will be checking for updates, certainly hope its soon, my tourney list has wraiths in it and I'm not a fan of the old ones.

felixander
22-04-2012, 02:46
I hope 2nd wave doesn't come out for some time, I have enough problems with Necrons, I don't want them to encourage the army anymore! haha Should be some sick models though

snottlebocket
22-04-2012, 12:44
You are looking at the stalker wrong. It isn't a melta weapon that twinlinks. It is a "twinlinker" that happens to be melta. Seriously, a ghost ark+warriors or blob squad of warriors firing twin linked causes like 18 wounds on t4. And it doesn't just twin link warriors it twin links EVERYTHING. Fail to destroy that dreadnaught/tank with it? Now your already amazing destroyer/chrono court is twin linked. Use it to twin link your doomsday ark. If you are really annoyed by its melta weapon being "wasted" on infantry there is the particle whatever as well. Large blasts are decently hard to miss with too requiring a decent scatter.

This is seriously my most looked forward to model GW has released this year. A good unit especially in av13 spam which is all they have released so far. So it will go nicely with the rest of my army. I am picking up two for sure.

The way I see it, it'll give you twin linked against the greatest threats on the table a few times and then it'll charge into combat to save your infantry from having to engage.

MajorWesJanson
22-04-2012, 13:13

I have heard a bit more specifics, which include fliers plural, so good chance of at least the Ork flier and Scythe.

As for having parts from a rhino included, makes sense if you look at the Stompa and Ork Barricades which both include parts from Imperial vehicles.

Badruk
23-04-2012, 17:55
So far as an update :

Here’s the updated list:

Triarch Stalker – Full Plastic Kit (1 per box)
Tomb Blade – Full Plastic Kit (3 per box)
Canoptek Wraith – Full Plastic Kit (3 per box)
Canoptek Spyder – Full Plastic Kit (1 per box)
Nemesor Zahndrekh – Finecast
Vargard Obyron – Finecast
Illuminor Szeras – Finecast
Destroyer Lord Upgrade Pack – Finecast Bits
Heavy Destroyer Upgrade Pack – Finecast Bits

Also
Tigurius - Finescast
Legion of Damned - Finescast

Lord Damocles
23-04-2012, 17:59
Well that's good (assuming it's accurate).

Now I can concentrate on worrying that Wraiths will be on 60mm bases :o

Fawful
23-04-2012, 18:07
Sounds like a good list, depending on prices. I wonder how much bigger the new spyders will be. Having wraiths in plastic is already enough for me since the metals fall apart when you breathe to much.

Ozendorph
23-04-2012, 18:10
Sorry I can't link it to a specific post, but I remember reading on WS some time ago that the spyder will be close to Rhino size. If it's 1-per-kit I suppose that would make sense.

Badruk
23-04-2012, 18:34
I suspect the Spider to be as big as the Tervigon, same base at least.
They started with Flyers, now they trend to add 1 MC in every army (except Tyranids). Pretty sure it will be a nice and big kit :)
Hoping to have a 2-3 scarabs base also with it...

lethlis
23-04-2012, 18:40
I was gonna put it on a dread base as the largest. Any other size would b too unwieldly. I might see the triarch on the oval, because of its legs but I doubt it. Just my predictions

Spiney Norman
23-04-2012, 18:42
Well that's good (assuming it's accurate).

Now I can concentrate on worrying that Wraiths will be on 60mm bases :o

What worries me is the possibility of very droopy heavy gauss cannons, if all they've done is recast those long, thin metal barrels into finecast I don't hold out much hope for them, finecast models are fine as long as they have a sensible centre of gravity, but long thin pieces attached at one end have not gone well for me.

I suspect the Spider to be as big as the Tervigon, same base at least.
They started with Flyers, now they trend to add 1 MC in every army (except Tyranids). Pretty sure it will be a nice and big kit :)
Hoping to have a 2-3 scarabs base also with it...

That would be ridiculously big, and well out of proportion with the codex art (not that that means anything I guess), however it does mean that rather than buying one I could just use my FW centipede as proxy because they'd be about the same size.

I was thinking more along the lines of comparable with the DE Talos

Lord Damocles
23-04-2012, 18:44
I would't expect the Spyder to change base size.

The oval base would mean that it would have to be huge (Tomb Stalker/Tervigon huge), and nothing (ever) has suggested that Spyders are this large.

Prodigalson
23-04-2012, 18:50
Yea, the walker may be on that base, but the spyders... i just can't see it. Although if it's that big, good luck hiding 9 of them for scarab farm.

Avian
23-04-2012, 18:50
Our spies have infiltrated the Nottingham warehouses at Warhammer World and we can guarantee the release of all new plastic NECRON DOOMSCYTHES AND WRAITHS!!
So much for guarantees, eh?

Erazmus_M_Wattle
23-04-2012, 18:59
Thanks for the info but i wanted to ask; Are you saying the Ork fighta is coming this month or just that it exists?

Just that it exists and is in the warehouse. I have no clue when they'll release it.

MajorWesJanson
23-04-2012, 19:19
So much for guarantees, eh?

It's not like there are also rumors of fliers at the end of the month, separate from the Necron wave or anything like that...:shifty:

Eddie Chaos
23-04-2012, 19:24
I love the look of those necrons

also: mother of god, how expensive will the finecast legion of the damned be?

MajorWesJanson
23-04-2012, 19:30
Pictures! Thanks Crystalseer!
Any other parts of the codex worth getting pictures of? Other new releases? The spine?

The models look quite nice, far more spiny and technological than egyptian.

As for LotD, I'd guess the box set will be the same as the sternguard price.

Badruk
23-04-2012, 19:32
Sorry, I made a mistake...
20 POUNDS... Making them at the 33$ US range
Weird for 1 kit model

Will like to know the price of the 3 others

Grimdesign
23-04-2012, 19:33
wow thx Crystalseer! Looks like the spyder isn't coming with any scarab buddies. The new wraiths are very sexy.

The French Guy
23-04-2012, 19:35
Wraiths = pure win.
Sweet Jesus, it's gonna hurt all day long!

I saw small scarabs on the spyder!

Chaos Undecided
23-04-2012, 19:36
Liking the stalker especially, the Tomb Blades are really weird looking devices arent they.

Sildani
23-04-2012, 19:37
Thanks Crystalseer! I like what I see here, particularly the Blades - they have just enough mass to them to carry the Necron, guns, and flying bits, unlike the other races', which need more "stuff" in order to function, if you catch my drift. The Stalker is nifty as well, might get one just to paint, depending on price.

And it looks like Wraiths are on 40 mm bases. All in all, good work GW!

EDIT: And I really, really like the Spider! THAT'S a home run, much better than the old ones.

Badruk: what's 20 for one model?

Chrisb3
What worries me is the possibility of very droopy heavy gauss cannons, if all they've done is recast those long, thin metal barrels into finecast I don't hold out much hope for them, finecast models are fine as long as they have a sensible centre of gravity, but long thin pieces attached at one end have not gone well for me.
There should be plastic heavy gauss cannons in the Triarch kit.

Badruk
I saw small scarabs on the spyder!

We were hoping for Scarabs base... only way to get them are paying Necrons Warriors or in bits online...

There should be plastic heavy gauss cannons in the Triarch kit.

And it big :D

Mr Ogre
23-04-2012, 19:38
Not bad! But not convinced about the Tomb Blades.

Oh well, didn't fancy using them anyways!

TimLeeson
23-04-2012, 19:38
YES! I am NOT dissapointed.

New Wraiths look sick! love them, really awesome design, they look even more cyber-cthulhu than ever. Gonna order six boxes of those.

Triarch Stalker is awesome too, will need one of those too. Doesnt look that different from conversions - but it's what I expected and I am happy with that.

Spyder is good enough - an improvement over the old metal one! shame it doesnt look lke it comes with any scarab swarms as some people had hoped for but still decent.

Tomb Blades - didnt think I'd care for these, but I actually quite like them. I like the almost "pod" type of them, different to how I thought they'd look - but very nice.

Overall, really happpy thank Azathoth!

duffybear1988
23-04-2012, 19:40
Hmmm that spider looks pants! The old one was much cooler. I will give it a miss (or buy an old 1) as 20 is a bit steep.

Wraiths look ok but again I prefer the old ones for some reason. Also those whip coils are gonna break off fast.

Tomb blades look ok I suppose - nothing special, but then they are just hovering cron warriors really.

Now the walker is the best of the bunch for me! I love it.

silverstu
23-04-2012, 19:41
wow thx Crystalseer! Looks like the spyder isn't coming with any scarab buddies. The new wraiths are very sexy.
If you click on the picture it tells you there is a scarab swarm included under the carapace.

Not a necron player but those kits looks nice- especially the wraiths and the spyder.

MajorWesJanson
23-04-2012, 19:44
The Blades sort of have the Darth Maul speeder look to them. simple, arc shaped like much of Necron stuff, with upgrades added on where it fits.

RTB01
23-04-2012, 19:46
very nice! Not sure on the tomb blades but wraiths are very nice - do we have any costings yet? Stalker looks real nice too, shame it's not that great...

Grimdesign
23-04-2012, 19:47
If you click on the picture it tells you there is a scarab swarm included under the carapace.

Not a necron player but those kits looks nice- especially the wraiths and the spyder.

I'm under the impression that its part of the model, but I certainly hope I am mistaken and that you are correct!
I am probably going to buy a few stalkers and make noises whilst blowing up some screaming guardsmen.

The Dire Troll
23-04-2012, 19:51
Thanks Crystalseer :yes: by the gods the stalker is intimidating, I think the spyder is my favorite,the large eye makes for a very catching focus point. Another job well done by geedub methinks.

Scribe of Khorne
23-04-2012, 19:57
Very nice! The Wraiths are my favorite, while the Spyder looks like it should have years ago, far sharper then the old one.

Zothos
23-04-2012, 19:59
All the plastics are going to absolutely destroy my bank account.

Cannot wait to see the characters!

Kaldanesh
23-04-2012, 19:59
everything looks very spiffy. At the risk of sounding greedy, are the characters also pictured in WD?

Rick Blaine
23-04-2012, 20:01
I really like this wave.

The Canoptek stuff has a nice Matrix vibe, the Stalker is ace.

Tomb Blades look a bit awkward, hopefully they can be tilted back so the pilots are sitting up straight.

Zinch
23-04-2012, 20:04
The spyders are gorgeous! I REALY like them. I wasn't interested in them, but now I guess I have to buy some...

The wraiths are cool also, but here I'm divided as I love the old ones... I guess the new ones win because are plastic and don't break everytime they fall...

Lord Damocles
23-04-2012, 20:07
The Wraiths are cool. I'll punt for a couple of boxes of those.
The Stalker looks better than I expected. Odd re-design of the Heavy Gauss Cannon. Possibly new parts for the Fincast kit then? The picture doesn't show a base, and the text doesn't mention one. Dammit GW! have you learnt nothing from the Defiler?
The Tomb Blades look as daft as the pictur in the codex.
I prefer(ed) the old Spyder. This one looks more like several different constructs randomly welded together. It seems to have been designed to have the twin-Particle Beamers as default, making the standard 'sensor' version look rather odd in comparison (not that the Beamer version isn't odd; and what does it do without the sensor?).

daemonish
23-04-2012, 20:12
Really impressed with all the kits even the tomb blades, they're odd, which is cool, the rest of the kits are fantastic. I was really worried that the spyders would look like the art work in the codex, which looks really dull.

Gunless Ganger
23-04-2012, 20:21
Stalker - yes very nice and Imposing! I like it

Wraiths - not bad at all - 3/box is very good - still waiting to see the price though

Tomb Blades - Trigger my WTF am I looking at response. :-p Still... I like them better than the artwork - they may just be funky enough to try out A swarm of them zipping about the battlefield may be very very cool.

Spyder - It looks nice - a little too 'busy' for me, but it's impressive. The price hurts though, and I can't see getting a whole army's worth.

Overall - very cool wave!

MoonlightSonata
23-04-2012, 20:26
Hmm...what of the character models?

Valurien the Immortal Kin
23-04-2012, 20:35
Such amazing models my wallet is going to hate me so much. :)

Mr Ogre
23-04-2012, 20:38
Hmm. Random irritation though.

Tomb Blades come in squadrons of up to 5. And boxes of 3. Reckon singles will be flooding ebay shortly. Which is kind of useful, as I'll try and pick them up from there.

vaughany86
23-04-2012, 20:39
Can't wait to see the character models, and really wanna see these destroyer upgrade kits, am loving all these kits so far

Epistolary_tarchis
23-04-2012, 20:44
Beasts of war updated with a few more pages from white dwarf, including special characters
http://www.beastsofwar.com/warhammer-40k/necrons-may-5th/

jspyd3rx
23-04-2012, 20:50
Knew the upgrade kits would be the old sculpts. Damn. Well, at least I well hope the extra heavy gauss cannons on the stalker go well with the destroyer frame.

Mr. Ultra
23-04-2012, 20:54
Sweet banana of Botswana! The Necrons range is better and better with ever release!

Theocracity
23-04-2012, 20:56
Those character models are sexy as hell! Damn. I can't stop grinning and I don't even play Crons!

suprememidgetoverlord
23-04-2012, 20:56
The different builds look better IMO on the tomb blades, good to see they have different builds.

The one holding an eldar head, great!

Necrons have a nice complete look to them with great variety. Shame a lot of players just spam X3, kills the nice diversity of models available to most armies.

TimLeeson
23-04-2012, 21:01
Love Illuminor Szeros, like that he is holding an eldar head too XD the other characters are good but don't really impress like Illuminor.

I assumed the upgrade bits were finecast recast bitz packs, I couldnt see them making a plastic frame with updated bits but can understand why others would fee a bit dissapointed.

Still I'm happy :) fantastic 2nd wave and is arguably cooler than the first. Looks like all that's missing a couple of special characters and the scythe fliers - otherwise it's a complete line which is great.

BramGaunt
23-04-2012, 21:04
I spy with my little eye the new Empire Battalion.

Badruk
23-04-2012, 21:06
Now we will like to know the price to see how much my wallet will hate me...
Spider is 20, only one we know about those 4 plastic kits...

DJ3
23-04-2012, 21:08
Zahndrekh and Obyron both look freaking fantastic. Especially Obyron, that is a badass pose.

Still think no Scythes is a goofy decision on their part, though.

ThePope
23-04-2012, 21:08
Tomb Blade looks very odd.

MajorWesJanson
23-04-2012, 21:13

Zandrekh is 11 and Obyron is 9.something

Grimdesign
23-04-2012, 21:20

you have some damn good eye sight Bram, I still don't see it, then again I am having issues peeling my eyes away from the wraiths and stalkers. What else is getting released this month? What new victims await the Necrons this month?

Bylak
23-04-2012, 21:23
Wow. Wow.

Those models are HOT. I can't wait to get some cash so I can buy them >.<

The Dire Troll
I see it! Next to Nemesor, mr bram has eagle like eyes indeed.

Tokamak
Really glad I didn't jump in immediately. My army would look totally different. Now I'm still waiting for the Tau to finally make up my mind.

Especially the wraiths are a kit that doesn't really have an equal. They're three 40mm models so it's really hard to guess.

EDIT: WOW that illuminor looks amazing.

Mr Ogre
23-04-2012, 21:27
Look to Fantasy my friends! Roughly analgous to the River Trolls and Bloodcrushers.

Thus, between 27.70 and 33.50.

I'd say the lower band. But I'm likely wrong!

Shas0cho
23-04-2012, 21:31
Nice spot! I wonder what it will contain.

Back on topic, these guys look pretty sweet. The stalker is epic looking, if nothing else it will certainly be a fire magnet.
My friend who plays necrons will certainly be happy some new toys to play with.

BramGaunt
23-04-2012, 21:33
you have some damn good eye sight Bram, I still don't see it, then again I am having issues peeling my eyes away from the wraiths and stalkers. What else is getting released this month? What new victims await the Necrons this month?

The character models picture, the one with Zandrekh and Obyron, on the very left, you can make it out.

As some people alrady pointed out ;)

loveless
23-04-2012, 21:42
Well, Szeras is a must-buy, as are the Wraiths and Spyder.

The Stalker looks immense and intimidating...I'm still less-than-thrilled by its rules, but damn...I want one. Well done, GW.

Zandrekh makes for a good generic Lord in addition to his usual character-ness - a nice piece. Obyron is so-so for me, along with the Tomb Blades. I'll need a closer look, for sure.

Ah, GW, I'll never get around to building a Fantasy anything if you keep releasing awesome 40K stuff...

Starchild
23-04-2012, 21:45
Finally the Necrons look like a proper army now! Much of this new stuff has a Micronaut feel to it, for those old enough to remember that brilliant line of toys from the late 70's / early 80's.

MajorWesJanson
23-04-2012, 22:00
Finally the Necrons look like a proper army now! Much of this new stuff has a Micronaut feel to it, for those old enough to remember that brilliant line of toys from the late 70's / early 80's.

So some dumb kid is going to choke on a missile and get all the Necron stuff recalled? :eek:

Starchild
23-04-2012, 22:05
So some dumb kid is going to choke on a missile and get all the Necron stuff recalled? :eek:lol... I never thought of that happening with GW products but they do have warning labels on their packaging. Anyway I was referring to the designs, not the child safety features. ;)

stahly
23-04-2012, 22:07
Really nice models, but I fear they won't be cheap... also just 3 Tomb Blades instead of 5 in a box is a bummer...

Battleworthy Arts
23-04-2012, 22:30

Absolutely! Good call!

Archibald_TK
23-04-2012, 22:31
Especially the wraiths are a kit that doesn't really have an equal. They're three 40mm models so it's really hard to guess.
Poor Tyranids, people forgot them to the point that nobody remember that they had multiparts Warriors and Raveners on 40mm bases :(
Joke aside I guess they'll be the same price at 35 Euro... no, I have no idea how much it is in and $... yes, I'm such a lazy man that I didn't have the strength to verify on GW website.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the aesthetic of the models, both plastic and resin. It will be quite a decent release.

ozzie347
23-04-2012, 22:35
Poor Tyranids, people forgot them to the point that nobody remember that they had multiparts Warriors and Raveners on 40mm bases :(
Joke aside I guess they'll be the same price at 35 Euro... no, I have no idea how much it is in and $... yes, I'm such a lazy man that I didn't have the strength to verify on GW website.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the aesthetic of the models, both plastic and resin. It will be quite a decent release.

going off that estimate, 42-45 US$

Tymell
23-04-2012, 22:44
Hmmm, not bad, but only the character models are really grabbing me, the rest are fine but a bit, I don't know, uninspiring? I feel the Necrons have a solid aesthetic style they're going for (I like, for instance, how the "bikes" are so different to any other races'), but it's not capturing my imagination like other races. Maybe that's just me.

Lexington
23-04-2012, 23:02
Hm, not...awful? The Spyder's a nice rendition of the artwork, but just totally inferior to the original. The rest of the plastics are competent if not inspiring. I'm still never gonna understand why GW abandoned the sleek, mysterious design of the old Necron line for the overcomplicated, Scorpion King-meets-Michael-Bay's-Transformers chunkity-junk that characterizes the re-do, nor why people like it.

The characters are similarly 'bleh.' Zahndrekh might as well just be a re-posed Lord, Szeras has no direction, and while Oberon's pose is kinda nice, it's just not communicating well. I really don't get how they can put out all these brilliant Fantasy models, then put out a 40K line that looks like it came out of some rejected 80's toy line.

MajorWesJanson
23-04-2012, 23:12
I like the new models for the wraiths and Spyders. the old wraiths were just cron torsos with a tail and flayed one claws. The Spyder was a roly-poly bug on a flying stand. Now they look like machine constructs, with a more mechanical feel and less humanoid skeleton base.

The spyder really should come with a large flying stand like the Talos. Hopefully the picture is just a small stand by accident for taking the picture.

Starchild
23-04-2012, 23:14
The characters are similarly 'bleh.' Zahndrekh might as well just be a re-posed Lord, Szeras has no direction, and while Oberon's pose is kinda nice, it's just not communicating well. I really don't get how they can put out all these brilliant Fantasy models, then put out a 40K line that looks like it came out of some rejected 80's toy line.Maybe because GW (for unfathomable reasons) wants it this way? :eyebrows: I do have to agree regarding the character models but maybe these will get better treatment in a future incarnation.

At any rate, Jes Goodwin can't sculpt everything in the range. :D However his sculpting minions do a fairly good job at imitating his masterful concept sketches. :chrome:

If it turns out that the new Necrons were the product of Jes G.'s hallowed grey matter then all objections from me are silenced. ;)

Ozendorph
23-04-2012, 23:19
The characters are almost exactly what I was expecting. The whole wave looks amazing to me, can't wait to see them on the table :)

Battleworthy Arts
23-04-2012, 23:19
Hm, not...awful? The Spyder's a nice rendition of the artwork, but just totally inferior to the original. The rest of the plastics are competent if not inspiring. I'm still never gonna understand why GW abandoned the sleek, mysterious design of the old Necron line for the overcomplicated, Scorpion King-meets-Michael-Bay's-Transformers chunkity-junk that characterizes the re-do, nor why people like it.

The characters are similarly 'bleh.' Zahndrekh might as well just be a re-posed Lord, Szeras has no direction, and while Oberon's pose is kinda nice, it's just not communicating well. I really don't get how they can put out all these brilliant Fantasy models, then put out a 40K line that looks like it came out of some rejected 80's toy line.

Well now you get to feel contrary and superior to everyone else. That's good, right?

Azazel
23-04-2012, 23:34
Glad I sold all of my Necron stuff when I did, if I had to wait even longer for the Doom Scythes / Night Scrythes I would have been a little annoyed to put it politely.

Grimdesign
23-04-2012, 23:54
Well now you get to feel contrary and superior to everyone else. That's good, right?

It really did have that "art gallery critique" vibe coming from his post, didn't it?

suprememidgetoverlord
24-04-2012, 00:09
So the upgrade packs are resin, not finecast?

I'm still waiting for my tyranid resin arms for my warriors, the lash whip ones still say up to 3 weeks wait. I hope these wont do the same for necron fans.

Voss
24-04-2012, 00:31
Can't make out a lot of details on those pics (black on white is not agreeing with me for picking out details), so I can't say a lot about them. The spyder is pretty busy, and the X-TREME TILT on the hoverchair callback doesn't do much for me.

Stickmonkey
24-04-2012, 00:31
I'm still never gonna understand why GW abandoned the sleek, mysterious design of the old Necron line for the overcomplicated, Scorpion King-meets-Michael-Bay's-Transformers chunkity-junk that characterizes the re-do, nor why people like it.

um...sleek like the original destroyers?

The Dude
24-04-2012, 00:59
Pretty much love all of them. Can't understand how people think the original Spyder is superior to this new one. There's nothing wrong with the old one, but the new one is sweet.

Grimdesign
24-04-2012, 01:04
I think short of a side by side comparison, some people go for the nostalgia which tends to tint ones perspective a bit.

@stickmonkey

haha wheelchair of doom for the old retired necrons. Some people dont realize that the third edition necrons weren't the "old" necrons

Hokiecow
24-04-2012, 01:15
um...sleek like the original destroyers?

Funny you should show that. The Tomb Blade looks like an updated 'original destroyer'! ;-)

MajorWesJanson
24-04-2012, 01:15
There is also a far cry between admiring the aesthetic values of the old metal scarab and actually trying to assemble one of the things. Plastic makes life so much easier in assembly.

Coldblood666
24-04-2012, 01:31
Everything looks amazing. Some of the best 40k miniatures of all time imo; these definitely rival the DE and new Tyranid plastics.

SideshowLucifer
24-04-2012, 03:34
Hate the new spyders, think I'll go with puppetswar version of it. Not thrilled about the bikes, but I didn't expect to be. I'm blown away by the Wraiths and kinda regret buying the puppetswars version of those instead of waiting. The characters are ok, I love Sez's mini but hate his rules. Stalker looks pretty ok I suppose, but I hate walkers without bases.

Lexington
24-04-2012, 03:49
Funny you should show that. The Tomb Blade looks like an updated 'original destroyer'! ;-)
That's kind of my point - the new Necron line went, for whatever reason, back to the goofball aesthetics of the very first Necrons, which were pretty abominable even back in the primitive days of the late 90's. The re-vamp they got for the first Necron Codex had a great, sleek look to it that suggested the kind of nanotech/AI wizardry the Necrons are supposed to possess. Now you see all the wires and levers again, even while real-world technology gets more integrated and opaque. Necron design got dumber, and for seemingly no other reason than to reinforce pop-Egyptology themes that were dead obvious anyway.

At any rate, Jes Goodwin can't sculpt everything in the range. :D However his sculpting minions do a fairly good job at imitating his masterful concept sketches. :chrome:
Did Goodwin have much to do with this project? I know there were some early sketches of his for the Ark floating around, but those are positively ancient, and the line seems to lack his touch and breadth of influences. It's hard to look at the unsubtle approach that was taken to the new 'Crons ("add more Scorpion King!") and think it came from the same mind as the elegant, varied Dark Eldar range.

lethlis
24-04-2012, 04:07
I kinda see him sitting at his computer with a plate of french sounding things.

Joking aside I really like the new necrons. Definitely going to pick up nemesor, some wraiths, and 1-2 triarch depending on price. I like the look of the tomb blades, exactly how I expected them to look, just not a fan of the unit, then again I might be able to make it work......huuummmm. We shall see what the budget gods decree

Rogue Star
24-04-2012, 04:47
these definitely rival the DE

I wish. I really do. :p

Ghazbad_Facestompa
24-04-2012, 05:08
As a Dark Eldar and Chaos player, I'm giving some slight consideration to picking up some wraiths. Not a good enough picture for me to make a definite decision, however.

d6juggernaut
24-04-2012, 05:10
I like how the Wraiths are so top heavy because they are trying so hard to keep it the original base size, even though the actual design is approaching monstrous creature territory, it's like sticking a Trygon on a terminator base. Because we obviously can't have a whip coil wraith on a massive base making everyone I1 now, can we?

The stalker looks much, much wider than the one in the codex art, not sure if I like it.

The Tomb Blade looks oversized and ridiculous, it's looks more like a conversion than the actual model, bad design throughout.

Zahdrekh looks great, Obyron looks great. And for whatever reason Szeras looks really badass, we've seen our share of marine heads, tyranid heads and ork heads, but an eldar head? He almost looks like what the DE Haemonculi should have been. Too bad he has garbage rules.

I might have been spoiled by dark eldar stuff, because this was pretty disappointing to be honest.

KarlPedder
24-04-2012, 05:52
Lack of Scarab bases in the Spydor box is fail especially so is 1 Spydor per box but beyond that and the shame that Szeras looks awesome but has terrible rules I'm impressed, all upgrade options for the appropriate unit size is how it should always be none of this squad of this size can have 3 of that weapon but we will give you only 1 per kit rubbish GW does far too often. Visually only Zandrek is a bit of a letdown IMO.

Looks like all that's missing a couple of special characters and the scythe fliers - otherwise it's a complete line which is great.

We have never gotten official SC models for SCs that didn't have artwork in their respective codex book. We aren't going to get Orikan and/or Anrakyr models just like the poor DE aren't going to get Vect, Malys or Silicus models.....

Avian
24-04-2012, 06:12
I think these look pretty nice, though it's odd that they don't appear to pack the walker with a base. The bikes look impractical for what they do, given how tall they are (and why don't the pilots have a bluetooth interface or something, why do they need these cables? ;)).

Pretty much love all of them. Can't understand how people think the original Spyder is superior to this new one. There's nothing wrong with the old one, ...
What were its legs supposed to be doing? ;)

Spiney Norman
24-04-2012, 06:28
Not bad, not earth shatteringly great, but still a solid release.

Love the FC characters, Zahndrek is a bit meh but Obyron and especially Szeras are brilliant, I'm not sure what it is about the SC overlords, they just havent found a way to make them look interesting. I could be picky and ask where Zahndrek's res orb is...

Very disappointed that the upgrade pack only makes one heavy destroyer, it seems like heavies are still going to be ridiculously expensive to get hold of.

The Stalker is ok, I will probably get one eventually, the particle shredder is nice
The spyder is phenomenal, such a dynamic model compared to the old hover-barge thing we've got now. It reminds me of the spyder rearing up to recover damaged crons in DoW, it looks like its about to pounce on an enemy.

The wraiths are a little bit "mechanical mini-trygon" but still look great, I'm just a bit worried that some of them look a little unstable on their bases.

The only thing I'm not really does on is the tomb blades, firstly only one to a pack is rather disappointing, and I was expecting jet bike, and what I got was a mini command barge. The shape and the pitch does make it look rather ungainly, which is a shame, a longer, thinner design would have been better.

Do we have prices yet? I can't quite make them out from some of those pics?

The Dude
24-04-2012, 06:31
What were its legs supposed to be doing? ;)

I always saw them as being there to grab onto some sort of docking station, or somehow manipulate the bits they were fixing (magnetic projectors?). But yeay, the legs looked pretty naff :p

Rogue Star
24-04-2012, 06:34
The only thing I'm not really does on is the tomb blades, firstly only one to a pack is rather disappointing, and I was expecting jet bike, and what I got was a mini command barge. The shape and the pitch does make it look rather ungainly, which is a shame, a longer, thinner design would have been better.

They're three to a pack, Spiney.

Spiney Norman
24-04-2012, 06:57
They're three to a pack, Spiney.

Yep, sorry got confused with the heavy D upgrade pack.

Actually the tomb blades remind me a little of flying destroyer droids from SW

RedemptionNL
24-04-2012, 07:09
The prices in US Dollars:

Necron Triarch Stalker $47.00
Necron Tomb Blades $41.25
Necron Canoptek Wraiths $47.00
Necron Canoptek Spyder $33.00
Nemesor Zahndrekh $19.25
Vargard Obyron $16.00
Illuminor Szeras $21.50
Necron Destroyer Lord Upgrade Pack $10.00
Necron Heavy Destroyer Upgrade Pack $8.25

Spiney Norman
24-04-2012, 07:35
The prices in US Dollars:

Necron Triarch Stalker $47.00
Necron Tomb Blades $41.25
Necron Canoptek Wraiths $47.00
Necron Canoptek Spyder $33.00
Nemesor Zahndrekh $19.25
Vargard Obyron $16.00
Illuminor Szeras $21.50
Necron Destroyer Lord Upgrade Pack $10.00
Necron Heavy Destroyer Upgrade Pack $8.25

I wonder if they'll put the existing Necron finecast SCs up to match the higher price of Zahndrek, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the cost of spyders

Everything else is pretty much as expected, tomb blades the same as nob bikers

Darnok
24-04-2012, 07:37
While I'm still contemplating wether I like the Tomb Blades or not, the other models are pretty nice. The Wraiths are an improvement, as is the Spyder - both look great! And that Stalker... I'm sure it will get daemonified one day sooner rather than later. :D

The characters are okay I guess, even though with some of their design I'll predict a hell of a lot miscasts...

:eek: You're right. Hadn't seen that, but it's true.

Polaria
24-04-2012, 07:42
Okay, All the special characters are must buy for me... Just because I know I will enjoy painting them.

The Wraiths and Spyders look so good that I simply MUST do a Canoptek army with lots of those bugs around.

As for the Stalker and the Tomb Blades... I like the way they look, but sadly I don't like the way they play.

I expect I'll be spending a good part of my summer painting all these things...

mcfishstick
24-04-2012, 07:54
I think the necrons actually piloting other machines looks a bit daft. I'd prefer the stalker without the necron sat there, but that will be easy to change. I also dislike the placement of guns on the spider and wraiths. Just my opinion lol. Love Sveras though. I'll try and shoehorn him into a fantasy army if I can. Tomb Kings maybe? :shifty:

Adra
24-04-2012, 08:15
I have never bought a finecast model as I dont like the material, but my first may have to be Illuminor Szeras because he is so pretty. I know what your thinking, but lets be honest, if your going to bust your cherry it should be with a mechanical spider legged nightmare from beyond the stars.

I dont like how logic is playing so much of a part in peoples opinion of these models. Rule of cool first and formost. Pipes are cooler than no pipes. So endeth the lesson.

DangerousBrian
24-04-2012, 09:47
Cool, really liking the new stuff.

wonder what the price of the wraiths and tomb blades will be.

my guess is about 30 inline with the monstrous infantry and cavalry they have released lately.

DB

KarlPedder
24-04-2012, 09:52
Base on the US prices the Tomb Blades should be 23.5 and the Wraiths/Stalker 28

Lord Khabal
24-04-2012, 09:59
I believe I have been convinced to start my 2nd 40k army... What a great release! Love the spiders and the wraiths. Will definitely buy a Stalker even though I dont like it ingame. Zhandrek looks meh (funny that zhandrek has a "punk/mohawk" type crown on the artwork and the model does not), Obyron looks totally badass and I believe he will get a lot of table time as a generic overlord. Illuminor is totally funky and is the only model with a eldrich lance, so I expect a lot of conversion work / molding around that arm of his... The bikes are OK I guess, and the destroyers... Well look the same. I am quite afraid of the Wraiths whipcoils and the spider base, has it looks VERY fragile for the size of the mini...

Spiney Norman
24-04-2012, 10:05
I think the necrons actually piloting other machines looks a bit daft. I'd prefer the stalker without the necron sat there, but that will be easy to change. I also dislike the placement of guns on the spider and wraiths. Just my opinion lol. Love Sveras though. I'll try and shoehorn him into a fantasy army if I can. Tomb Kings maybe? :shifty:

Would it not be reasonable just to use Szeras as a regular cryptek? I realise he's on a different base size, but its not really modelling for advantage

KarlPedder
24-04-2012, 10:08
Zhandrek looks meh (funny that zhandrek has a "punk/mohawk" type crown on the artwork and the model does not.

Huh it looks pretty much like the artwork to me......model seems to lack the 3 round holes in the artwork which could be the pics but considering the size of the model their absence wouldn't be suprising and the models head piece curves down a little more on each side more akin to a half circle while the artwork is more like a third of a circle.

Rogue Star
24-04-2012, 10:14
Would it not be reasonable just to use Szeras as a regular cryptek? I realise he's on a different base size, but its not really modelling for advantage

You could if you clear it with your opponent, same as using any special character to represent a 'regular' character.

Spiney Norman
24-04-2012, 10:22
Just looking at those pics again, and there are a few things bothering me.

The wraith with the whip coils looks like he was out for a nice time in the playground when his skipping rope snapped... that wasn't how I envisaged whip coils at all.

Zahndrek's staff of light is absurdly huge, my guess is some kind of "mine is bigger than yours" competition with Imhotek, and by the looks of it Zahndrek appears to be winning. As a side note it will be interesting to see what Zahndrek and Obyron look like with a half decent paint job...

Is it not the height of stupidity to release the old heavy D conversion kit in finecast, and simultaneously release a far, far better design of heavy gauss cannon on the stalker frame, especially given how bad a weapon option it is for the stalker, its there anyone who isn't going to use their stalker heavy gauss cannons to convert heavy Ds instead of the upgrade pack?

deadly claris
24-04-2012, 10:22
May and still no 40K codex ..

dont get me wrong I love the new necrons and I collect necrons so it's a grate realise
but now I fear 2012 will have 6:ed and only one codex :S

Spiney Norman
24-04-2012, 10:29
May and still no 40K codex ..

dont get me wrong I love the new necrons and I collect necrons so it's a grate realise
but now I fear 2012 will have 6:ed and only one codex :S

In some ways probably a good thing, being the last codex before an edition change usually sucks, especially if the changes are big, just look at beasts of Chaos in fantasy. I'd settle for a few wave releases to get the models up to date for as many armies as possible before 6th Ed hits, and then rattling off one at the end of the year a few more next year.