PDA

View Full Version : Things we love about our hobby

Anvils Hammer
05-06-2005, 22:41
Im sick of all these threads complaiing about stuff, so heres your chance to give GW the thumbs up for once.

please list-
some background or fluff which you think is really original and interesting.
a unit which you think adds debth and makes the game more fun to play
a model which you really like
an aspect of the rules which you think works really well
a game in which you opponent was a good sport and gave you a good game
somthing you think is good value for money

i really like the page in the rule book with diagrams and information on the various imperial weapons,

the basic imperial infantry squad is often over looked, you can d o hundreds of differnet redgiments with conversions, the unit is also well balanced in the game and has lots of options.

i love the basic chimera tank model, its supurb, especially with the new accesory sprue, and is very easy to modify and convert.

the rules for area terrain are very simple and allow the game to flow whilst creating a reasonable degree of realism.

I really enjoy some games in a recent dysartes tornament I went to, some of my opponents were excellent sports and had very nicly themed armys.

the codexs are very good value, £12 isnt a high price for a book considering the massive ammount of information and coloured photos etc.

thanks GW!

Xisor
05-06-2005, 23:13

'A Torturers Tale' by Gav Thorpe. Simply exquisite. It's the single thing that got me into the 'GW thing', or at least mostly responsible single thing.

Techpriests and Techmarines(also including alot of the servitors you see about *and* the majority of inquisitor henchmen)

The Incubi.

Battlefleet Gothic :p To be fair, I can't think of any one bit for 40k I'd rate above another, but for the 40k Universe, BFG fits the bill nicely.

IG vs Salamanders. My Terminators ploughed through his army, but we were both far more preoccupied by our ad-hoc rules for rivers in which a whole Command Squad got washed away leaving only the commissar and the bugleer!

The Tau Battleforce Box. It's one of the few that *actually* gives you a whole 'potential' army.

Xisor

hallon_apl
05-06-2005, 23:14
I like lots of the background (almost everything!) but one of my favourites is the idea of an extragalactic humongous organism (tyranids) putting some perspective on things.

Generally the troops choices are the core of the game for me, both gameplaying- and fluffwise. I must say that I too like the low-down-dirty guardsman the most. :D

The new Carnifex is a briliant model and a must-have for me... as soon as I can get an income! :cries:

The simple to-hit, to-wound (and so on) rules are great for speeding things up so that you can focus on other parts of the game!

I've never had a bad game (not had many of them, mind you) so a particular game would be hard to pinpoint. Usually we (my regular gaming-friend and I) both laugh at the worst performances and feel sorry for the most overkilled units in the games we play.

Good value for money: The said Carnifex! :p

sigur
05-06-2005, 23:50
nice thread idea. Nowadays we often oversee the positive sides of things.

edit: it really must be like that. I have no other explanation for the "Hate"-thread having 3 pages now and this one only 4 posts.

I love almost everything of 40k's fluff. The mix of an almost classic fantasy setting combined with this archaic, medevial background and all the techy stuff without being sci-fi is just great. ( just want to avoid the so often abused word "gothic") Nothing is shiny, only sinister plans of sheer brutality... only war between the stars and the laughter of insane gods. :)

There are no good guys, there's no hope , mankind is fighting a long lost war for ideals and a system that just surpresses anything human. That doesn't mean that real-life humanity is doomed or evil per se, it's just one more image of what we could become if intolerance, fundamentalism or extremism in any way reign and people let their freedom be taken away with the lame excuse of "the times being hard and that we are under attack bla, bla..."

The fact that Space Marines don't fight for efficiency, they fight like the people in old myths. Barbaric, inhuman, not like "highly trained spacial commandos" doing their duty (or what they think of being their duty) in "precise, chirurgical strikes".

All those influences from real-world legends and stories makes it stand out even more. I also like that nothing in there is modern or like nowadays. I also always liked the pinch of humor within some parts of the fluff which faded within the last years.

All this fluff is so characterful and great; it surely is at least half of the hobby.

Surely the core troop choices who represent their armies and vehicles.

hard to say. There are SO many models I like. Sisters of Battle, Eldar Farseers, old Ork miniatures, metal IG soldiers, 2nd edition plastic stormtroopers, the Leman Russ battle tank...

phew. again, hard to say. :D I kinda like that...uh...vehicles are able to move AND shoot again?

Actually, I hardly ever play. I remember one game with my IG with allied Tau against Chaos and Eldar. It was kinda weird because we fought some kind of VIP Lounge of enemies (Karandras, Jain Zar, a Bloodthirster, Bob the DP) and won, but our opponents had a fun game and so we had.

Another thing is the Ork player of our former gaming group. He lost all the time except for one game but he never gave up and always fought to the end.

I have to agree with Xisor here. The Tau battleforce. It's actually a good deal which gives you anything you need as a starter of a Tau army.

Vanus
06-06-2005, 00:13
God, all of it. I cannot get enough of the fluff. I love the dark, hopelesness of the universe. Everyone's fighting for their own cause, and there seems to be littel hope for anyone, yet, heroes still exist, giving populations someone to idolize.

a unit which you think adds depth and makes the game more fun to play
Hrm...lots of units add depth and dynamics to the game. Commissars, with their summary execution. Techpriests/Techmarines. Ailtoc Ranger armies (damn disruption chart). Catachans and their jungle rules. Many things add good dynamics to the game.

Lots of them. I'm still quite partial to the Talos model.

The new vehicle rules. Every aspect of them, from moving and shooting, to offensive/defensive weapons, to transports, to the new damage charts. Made the game dynamics better, imo.

Oh man, first one that comes to mind (of the many) was at the Iron Turkey tourny a couple years ago. My DE vs. his IG. Not really sure what exactly about the game sticks out, it was just a great game, and my opponent was really cool.

I'll agree with the rest, the tau battle force.

Darkzeer
06-06-2005, 12:33
I love it all

Zombies

space wolf rune priest

I can shoot stuff and little men die

Necromunda. Best game I ever played and always fun.

A Necromunda gang. A boxed gang or two is all you need

hairyman
06-06-2005, 13:35
fluff

The fall of the eldar

unit

Grots and ork boyz. They both rock. I do also like the way that basic troops are the bulk of a force. I always try and take at least 4 troop choices before I think about anything else.

model

An old farseer I got off e-bay that has a mask like Morpheus out of Neil Gaiman's "Sandman". I also think the models in the Inquisitorial retinue look really cool.

rules

I like the simplicity of the game. Simple does not need to be childish.. there is still enough depth and tactics without a pile of esoteric rules and tables.

good game

I play with the same four or five friends, so we have an easy, relaxed and friendly game every time. If all else fails, there's always the magic d6 rule....

value for money

Any of the boxed sets are pretty good value, I guess.

devolutionary
06-06-2005, 13:52
The Thousand Sons background still fascinates me. I love the whole treachery through loyalty idealism.

Grots. These little guys are just characterful and hillariously good fun

SM Terminator Captain, it's a great model, one of the most fun models I've ever painted

Ya know, I'm not entirely sure. It's been a while since I actually played a game, though I do think the current Barrage rules are great. Just the right amount of power and unpredictability

Against my brother, ironically. He blew up my Battlewagon with his first shot. It was a fun game despite that

Space Marine Tactical Squads. I know, I'm a bit Marine happy, but 150 points with a crap load of extra equipment and bitz for that price is a damn bargain with the prices today.

The Beast
06-06-2005, 14:02
Fluff
How orks manage interstellar space flight. That an the huge asteroid "drop pods" they use. would like to see this fortress as a usable model. Kinda like a deepstriking battlewagon.

Units
TMC's are all pretty cool.

Model
The jump pack units for orks. Love those rockets strapped to their backs. Also burna boys. These 2 just look so crazy!

Rules
The orks shooting eachother on a 1. Also vehicle penetration. Makes sense most shots would not out and out destroy a vehicle.

Good game
Playing nids in a 3 way objective game and being the only one with assault weapons. My 2 friends didn't plan ahead too well so I spent the entire game shooting them whil they all moved to hold the objective.

Value for money
Great canadian miniatures. 30% off all models makes them seem slightly reasonable.

Adept
06-06-2005, 15:41
FLUFF

Most of it. A little less of the 'Marines are teh ****!' would be good though.

UNIT

Probably Guardsmen, af the various flavours.

MODEL

The new Kasrkin. And the new Carnifex. If I could take them both to bed, I would.

RULES

Ordnance. I can't say any of the rules work really well, in that they all have flaws, but I like laying down big explosions with my tanks. So Ordnance it is.

GAME

I don't think I've had a crappy game of 40K yet. All the people I've played have been, bar none, excellent sports.

VALUE FOR MONEY

Hmm. Personally, I think GW prices us through the nose for most things. I guess the IG heavy weapons squad box is pretty good. Combined with a regular IG box you can make upwards of nine heavy weapons teams out of it.

zealousheretic
06-06-2005, 15:49
FLUFF

A lot of the older Tyranid fluff. I was happy to see much of it reprinted in the new codex.

UNIT

Lictor. Incredibly cool concept, and actually useful in it's current incarnation.

MODEL

The new Carnifex is a gorgeous model. I'm also a big fan of my new Hive Tyrant.

RULES

Deployment order; it adds a surprising amount of strategy to the game.

GAME

Most of the truly memorable games I've played have been 3 or 4 player free for alls.

x-esiv-4c
06-06-2005, 15:50
Fluff:
All of it, the most diverse and indepth setting i've ever come across.

Unit:
I pretty much like everyone one of them. The IG tank kits are a real treat though.

Model:
The new nid carnifex is pretty cool.

Rules:
Pinning, however I think more weapons should cause it.

black_crusade
06-06-2005, 16:09
some background or fluff which you think is really original and interesting:
The 2nd edition eldar fluff, the fall etc. and of course the stories about Da brain boyz.

a unit which you think adds debth and makes the game more fun to play:
Gretchins...

a model which you really like:
Emperors champion sigismund (the limited edition one)

an aspect of the rules which you think works really well:
Target priority rules

a game in which you opponent was a good sport and gave you a good game:
A carnage game with my 3 friends at my first big gaming convention. it consisted of 4 1700ptsarmies, orks (mine), eldar ulthwé, tyranids and speed freeks.

somthing you think is good value for money:
must be the zombie box. 20 great models + loads of great bitz.

x-esiv-4c
06-06-2005, 16:15
I like the fact that complete strangers can compete on the field in a friendly game, instant commonality.

Cloudscape_online
06-06-2005, 16:32
FLUFF

All of the IG fluff, including the Imperial Infantrymans Uplifting Primer.

UNIT

Kroot Mercenaries, they're so incredibly versatile.

MODEL

Space marine Dreadnought. It looks the business.

RULES

Deployment order because of tactical premise.

GAME

Campaign story games

Melchor
06-06-2005, 16:32
Best background/fluff

The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer. Especially the section on aliens and the 'pink' prayer section. When I play my guard, I usually whip it out and start belting various battle-hyms. Great stuff. :D

Unit which adds debth

Commissars... The whole Summary Exectution rule is very fluffy and can be very effective game-wise. :skull:

A model which you really like

Well I like the Space Marine models. Lots of interchangeble bits, great design, lots of character, where do I sign?

I also like the Kasrkin models. Very sweet.

An aspect of the rules which you think works really well

There's not really a single aspect which I really like. I like the 4th edition of the rules as a whole. Sure, 2nd edition was more detailed, but nothing beats 4th for playability. It is fairly easy to learn, and still allows for great tactics.

A game in which you opponent was a good sport and gave you a good game

I generally have lots of fun when I play, can't remember a single 'best ever' game.

Something you think is good value for money

Battleforces in general are pretty good...

Captain Brown
06-06-2005, 17:14
Well I love the game, whatever the rules variation or list being used. That is mainly due to the background of the failing Empire of Man, sprawled across the galaxy, confronting threats from without and within. The story of the Eldar. The mystery of the origin of the Orks. The sheer unthinking consumption of the Tyranids. Etc.

I also really love modelling, painting and converting.

alterion
06-06-2005, 17:32
well done on this thread.. in the absence of reputation have a tasty ecookie.. Fluff: the weapons section in the 40k book is cool also the sections on specific inmperial gurad regiments that were found in wd aeound the time of the eot campagin were really good.
Unit1: the valkirie without a shadow of doubt.. more particulary the vtol hover rules are realy fun
unit 2 :errm probably the humble sentinel.. really adds depth and is great fun to paint and model.. a joy to work with for me and some great and good value forgeworld varients
Rules 4thh edition is actually very positive.. 2 kind of new rules spring to mind are scouts and escalation both of which really add something that was lacking in old game which tended to degenerate into shoot or assault fests
Game againsta young boy with massive ork horde and squiggoth.. a really fun game against someone who could a) paint well and b) knew the rules well which i found really surprising and fun for someon of his age
Value has to be the forgeworld sentinels.. 15 quid for a really fluffy unit with a massive lump of reisn for a powerarm.. yes please

Thud
06-06-2005, 17:37
Some background or fluff which you think is really original and interesting.

The Ciaphas Cain series

A unit which you think adds debth and makes the game more fun to play

Adeptus Mechanicus, the Inquisition and the two missing Space Marine legions.

The new Carnifex, Tau Crisis Battlesuits.

The overall flow of the game.

Every game at Battleclub.

Something you think is good value for money

You're kidding, right?

Great Harlequin
06-06-2005, 18:44
Best background/fluff

I personally liked the history of the C'tan and the Necrons. It filled in alot of gaps for me and I really enjoyed it.

Unit which adds depth

Black Guardians. I love the idea of Guardians actually being trained to become elites in their own field. A private millita to Ulthwe alone. Sublime.

I think my favourite Warhammer 40k model to date (not counting unreleased figures and the like) would have to be Saint Celestine. Marvelous.

The new sweeping advanced rules make alot more sense.

One of my tournament games at the recent 40k doubles was rather good. It was against a husband and wife playing Space marines and sisters. There was no raised voices or anything of the sort. We both had a laugh and it was a very, very close match. (Which I won :D)

Pertinax
06-06-2005, 20:06
I would like to add something that isn't on you rlist of factors.

I would like to say that GW has given us a social hobby, an lots of contact with new friends. Both in real life and on the internet.

It has given us a common interest.

Thanks!

Venomizer
06-06-2005, 20:34
The rise of the c'tan and necrons

the respective grunts of each army, each of which bring something useful to the table

The new Hive Tyrant

I like all the rules as a whole, nothing that you have to spend hours arguing over..letes the game flow and avoids anger

probably vs. my friends Tyranids where I learned how much of a pain flayed ones and scarabs are for your opponent

The necron warriors box, a unit of warriors and a decent start of a scarab swarm - not too shabby in my view

overload
06-06-2005, 20:52
rise of the c'tan probably

the backbone of any army, the troops on the front line.

The new Hive Tyrant and carnifex

all of it, works well which means more fun really

the game in which i used my blood angels against my friends eldar and anothers mates tau, i took out pretty much all of the eldar then just got wiped out by the Tau as i forget bout them due to having too much fun killin' eldar scum. :D

the new carnifex, quality model there for a reasonable amount of money.

Easy E
07-06-2005, 04:05
Favorite background is the big double H

Unit that adds to the game is Terminators (I love smackin' them around)

Favorite model is anything in plastic.

Aspect of the rules I like is the escalation rules.

A game that really sticks in my mind is my first battle in the jungle when Catachans were first released.

Good value for your money is I can make my own terrain cheap and scartchbuilt vehicles with paper templates.

bigbauske
07-06-2005, 04:26
All of the fluff has it's own spin which I love

Drone squads for the tau

The vulture and valkery by fw. To stick with just the GW stuff I love the humble chimera and the Leman Russ

all of it, there are some quirks but they all flow so well.

Most of my friends at the local club are great, as is the owner Josh. Good player and a great sport.

Most of the new plastics, mainly the space marine and imperial guard.

Jorath
07-06-2005, 04:31
FLUFF

Most of it, except some of the older stuff... like Squats.
I especially like the Index Astartes books and the horus heresy

UNIT

Noise Marines, ROCK AND ROLL!!! :)

MODEL

too many to mention... I even like the Broodlord...

RULES

none specificaly

GAME

Havn't had a bad game yet, except a weaseling cheater I caught once, and he even tried it again after I caught him.

When Black Roses Bloom
07-06-2005, 05:28
The myriads of new illustrations in the 4th edit. rules book.

The "Grim Darkness Of The Far Future" Idea. We are all gonna die one way or another anyway... Lat it be in the heat of the battle with a bolter and a chaniaxe in our hands :P

The Medeval "filth" and the whole idea of the Imperium Of Man. A new Gothic Dark Age in all it's splendor.

The models of the new Gray Knights (although I am a Chaotic Follower :P) They just kick butt.

Captain Brown
07-06-2005, 16:51
I guess my first answer to this thread was not written in the appropriate format. So here goes...

Some background or fluff which you think is really original and interesting.
As already mentioned the Gothic theme behind the Empire of Man, in the grim darkness of the future there is only war.

A unit which you think adds depth and makes the game more fun to play.
I am not sure I could answer this, as every army I play has a unit that stands out, whether it is a squad of Guard, Aspect Warriors, Truk Boyz, Marine Scouts, etc.

A model which you really like.
I have always loved the Eldar Avatar, which is something hard to say as an original Guard player.

An aspect of the rules which you think works really well.
Again the rules have changed so much over the years; I think the simplifying of the rules has been a good thing. As my group's armies have gotten larger over the last fifteen years and we have used each addition I have noticed we spend less time interpreting the rules and more time playing them now.

A game in which you opponent was a good sport and gave you a good game.
Every time I play. Poor sportsmanship is not recommended when playing with your chums.

Something you think is good value for money.
The starter set is probably the best buy (as they usually are for most GW games as the individual models can get pricey.

Yes I also think this is a smashing hobby. While the boss doesn't really understand it she doesn't mind it either. Besides I cannot understand her love of shoes. :)