PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Music

Eternalknight
29-04-2006, 09:28
G'day folks,

I'm a big fan of Manowar (the band) and think their music is quite appropriate to have playing while fighting battles of Warhammer. However, I was just wondering if anyone else knew of any bands similar to Manowar that would also be appropriate for Warhammer? Thanks in advance.

Rathgar
29-04-2006, 09:43
Bolt Thrower! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolt_thrower_%28band%29)

squeekenator
29-04-2006, 10:04
Oooookayyyyyy...
They're a serious band and they sing Warhammer songs and have Warhammer pictures on the CD cases? Jeez, even I'm not that addicted! Not that I'm addicted at all, no, not at all...

Eternalknight
29-04-2006, 10:09
So are they similar in style to Manowar? Power metal?

generulpoleaxe
29-04-2006, 11:24
three inches of blood have a simular style as well.:cool:

Neknoh
29-04-2006, 11:37
Hammerfall make a very nice compliment to the gameplay.

inq.serge
29-04-2006, 11:57
warhammer heroes, i dont recomend them,

http://www.warhammerheroes.net

its on french, so press the big text, then chose chansons (meens songs on french) and then pres parodies, what ever that meens.

listen to "gobomotion" and "the horned rat" and you will never want to eneter that site again, uless you like those songs, or want to tortue your friends with some kind of suicide* attack.

*= unless you have some stuff in your ears so you couldn't hear.

Neknoh
29-04-2006, 11:59
And how are we supposed to read that?

kyussinchains
29-04-2006, 12:06
most heavy metal is good for playing warhammer (I find it's cool to listen to manowar whilst assembling and painting)

Iced Earth are an excellent wargaming band, we listen to them quite a lot (especially the gettysburg trilogy from their latest album)

Ususrper are pretty cool, as well as high on fire, mastodon, solace, judas priest and place of skulls, and of course the mighty control denied

Honestly you cant really go wrong with any band on nuclear blast (hammerfall, primal fear, thunderstone etc.)

Chiron
29-04-2006, 12:54
And how are we supposed to read that?

http://www.warhammerheroes.net/pages/chanson00_b.html

some of the lyrics are in english

Insane Alex
29-04-2006, 13:32
Blind Guardian and some of Iron Maiden are also excellent.

Morph
29-04-2006, 19:35
I find it's cool to listen to manowar whilst assembling and painting

I find it's better to listen to something more relaxing when painting, otherwise I might be nodding along to the music.

Eternalknight
29-04-2006, 22:22
Thanks folks for the suggestions. I will look into them!

A friend of mine suggested a band called Stratovarius or something; anyone had any experience with them?

GranFarfar
29-04-2006, 22:32
Well, first off - Bolt Thrower is not at all like Manowar. Not saying they are bad - I like them both, just a heads up.

Otherwise I would recomend
Ensiferum, Rhapsody... well come to think of it, as someone already mention - most power metal bands out there.
And if you play with Chaos Marauders I would definatly put on some Amon Amarth.

Not that we listen to "battle music" when we play. It is just all kinds of metal.

Eternalknight
30-04-2006, 00:01
Well, first off - Bolt Thrower is not at all like Manowar. Not saying they are bad - I like them both, just a heads up.

Thanks for confirming that, I had a feeling that was the case.

valleycreek
30-04-2006, 00:14
My friends and I definately like to jamm while playing a game.
My personal favorites.

Bryan Adams
Whitney Houston (pre Bobby Brown)
George Michael
Culture Club (club favorite)

Trunks
30-04-2006, 07:34
Honestly you cant really go wrong with any band on nuclear blast (hammerfall, primal fear, thunderstone etc.)

If he is going for power metal/progressive metal bands, he can EASILY go wrong with bands on Nuclear Blast. Nuclear Blast has alot of Death Metal bands signed.

I'd recommend that the originator of this topic check out some Evergrey and some Jag Panzer.

The_powers_of_chaos
30-04-2006, 10:11
I started listening to gobomotion on that it is the most dodgiest thing ive ever listened to

inq.serge
30-04-2006, 10:23
what meens dodgiest?

i never heard that word, is it a negative word?

Steel_Legion
30-04-2006, 10:50
Cheese Metal you say? My favorite! Best bands for this are probably the likes of Manowar, Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth and such like, alll really good bands (especially iced earth!)
Also a very new band Beyond Fear, singer form judas priest/iced eath are great!! saw them live a few weeks ago

gibon
30-04-2006, 15:41
No one has suggested it (I dunno maybe no one here likes them) but I dont mind playing to A Perfect Circle.

Just my 2 cents

L-Train
30-04-2006, 17:12
If you like power metal then check out Dragonforce. They are even more power metal than Manowar... (is that possible?)

Lab Monkey
01-05-2006, 08:38
I don't really like metal, so to get in the warhammery mood I listen either to normal rock or to music from the Lord of the Rings, PIrates of teh Carribean or Harry Potter. Works everytime.

Neesh
01-05-2006, 14:53
No one has suggested it (I dunno maybe no one here likes them) but I dont mind playing to A Perfect Circle.

Just my 2 cents

A Perfect Circle RoXX0r :D

kyussinchains
03-05-2006, 12:16
If he is going for power metal/progressive metal bands, he can EASILY go wrong with bands on Nuclear Blast. Nuclear Blast has alot of Death Metal bands signed.

I'd recommend that the originator of this topic check out some Evergrey and some Jag Panzer.

Death metal is a good accompaniment to massive combats, although admittedly isnt for everyone, but what are bolt thrower if not the heaviest death metal?

It's all about balance anyway, we take turns on the stereo, two of us are into metal, one is into crap like mogwai and godspeed you black emperor.

I'd agree on the evergrey and jag panzer comments, also helloween is pretty good, as well as sonata artica, secret sphere, yngwie malmsteen... the list goes on...

enyoss
03-05-2006, 13:00
kyussinchains, don't forget Godspeed You Black Emperor... that's always a favourite right? ;)

cheers,

enyoss

enyoss
03-05-2006, 13:11
Sorry kyussinchains... now that I've actually read your post I can see that you did in fact mention the all conquering GYBE :) Shame on me for thinking you could resist a Godspeed bashing opportunity.

What about Paradise Lost though... even a misery like you can't deny that!

cheers,

enyoss

kyussinchains
03-05-2006, 16:41
Sorry kyussinchains... now that I've actually read your post I can see that you did in fact mention the all conquering GYBE :) Shame on me for thinking you could resist a Godspeed bashing opportunity.

What about Paradise Lost though... even a misery like you can't deny that!

cheers,

enyoss

yeah draconian times era paradise lost I can handle, the one second album is forever dead to me now however

ah godspeed you black emperor, the sound of a thousand narwhals blowing broken glass through their blowholes whilst piloting a thousand jumbo jets into a siren factory, all the time watched and cheered on by hundreds of screeching triceratopses, all while a small girl alternately cries, yowls and plays the bagpipes tunelessly in the background.....

who could fail to be inspired by that?

Trunks
03-05-2006, 19:48
Death metal is a good accompaniment to massive combats, although admittedly isnt for everyone, but what are bolt thrower if not the heaviest death metal?

I was just saying that he could easily screw up and get a death metal cd, which would suck if he hates growls and screams (pansy :P). Bolt Thrower are pretty heavy, but I've heard heavier.

I'd love to get my local store to throw on some heavier stuff ("non-radio stuff") while we play, watching my Dark Elves slaughter people to Graveworm's "When Daylight's Gone" would kick ass.

kyussinchains
03-05-2006, 22:03
I was just saying that he could easily screw up and get a death metal cd, which would suck if he hates growls and screams (pansy :P). Bolt Thrower are pretty heavy, but I've heard heavier.

I'd love to get my local store to throw on some heavier stuff ("non-radio stuff") while we play, watching my Dark Elves slaughter people to Graveworm's "When Daylight's Gone" would kick ass.

back in the day (90-93) at my store in leicester they would sometimes play some wraith and/or d-rok (the two bands on warhammer records at the time)

but that was about as heavy as it got.

I always thought of dark elves as being a black metal race, some immortal stuff, or epic dimmu borgir or something like that, but graveworm works too.

Trunks
04-05-2006, 04:01
Mountains Of Might!

Spell_of_Destruction
04-05-2006, 07:56
Summoning, Summoning, SUMMONING! (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000B3MD/qid=1146725961/sr=8-2/ref=pd_ka_2/202-7933813-1572616)

Brilliant Tolkein inspired Epic style metal.

If you don't check them out it is your loss.

Seriously.

Jmznudd
04-05-2006, 14:06
Old favorites: Godsmack, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Disturbed, Korn, Iron Maiden. (I like Perfect Circle too, but never gamed to it)

Classical music. Yes Classical Music, like Flight of the Valkyries. There is a CD set called Classical Music for People who hate classical, which is decent. Also there was a "Heavy Metal" Classical CD set, that had "harder" or "heavier" classical music anthems. It's well worth looking into.

Look at movie sound tracks too. Queen of the Damned is good (Korn, Static-X, Disturbed). Scorpion King is another. Excalibur may be worth looking at.

Just some suggestions

-Jmz

Kharnath
04-05-2006, 14:23
Spice Girls, maybe when it gets going Take That, and as its wrapping up finish off with some S club 7... (remember there aint no party like an S club party..)

but now weve returned form the land of sarc-asm

metallicas good but then what isnt it good for.

also this beauty its form the computer game sound track Red Alert.
http://compuball.com/av/hellmarch.htm

download that and enjoy its absolutly awsome.

Leonous2006
04-05-2006, 15:24
What about linkin park / limp bizkit / rage against the machine theyve all got some decent tracks to play to....

ashc
04-05-2006, 15:46
who has listened to Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin when playing Chaos?

We come from the land of the ice and snow,
from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
The hammer of the gods
Will drive our ships to new lands,
To fight the horde, singing and crying

:D

Ash

Steel_Legion
04-05-2006, 16:10
Well for songs that are basically resighting battles etc, dragonforce, for example, valley of the damned, currently listening to it, and i dont think it gets much cheesier then dragonforce, and they make you feel happy, thats why ill stick em on my MP3 player if i remember, and listen to them.

Sentinel75
04-05-2006, 16:11
Therion. nuff said

GranFarfar
04-05-2006, 21:34
Therion. nuff said

WOHO! Therion for the win! I almost screamed out in joy when I saw someone else then me mention them. Great band. But alot of people have trouble accepting the symphonic style.

Lostanddamned
04-05-2006, 22:05
In A Complete Contrast to everyone Else.

Reel Big Fish, Less than Jake and Goldfinger make great music, because the whole hobby is about staying in, having fun with your mates, maybe a few drinks and walking away with nothing that you didnt have when you started.

Ska punk is a start with nothing, finish with nothing, fun with mates and booze, going out type music.

You can keep your heavy stuff, gimmie some brass and fast chords and I will be happy.

Cpt. Drill
04-05-2006, 23:22
Swing music.... You want swing... it makes your games more classy....

You dont want METAL... as all the greasy haired geeks start headbanging... and you either get flayed alive or have to wipe horrible drips of grtty sweat off your face and toys!

Freak Ona Leash
05-05-2006, 01:44
;)
You dont want METAL... as all the greasy haired geeks start headbanging... and you either get flayed alive or have to wipe horrible drips of grtty sweat off your face and toys!
Arxhon and Brother Smith will be coming to your place of residence shortly. It is recommneded you write a will and say goodbye to relatives and loved ones.

Thank you, that would be all.

Insane Alex
05-05-2006, 13:05
And if they don't, I will! :D

Eternalknight
08-05-2006, 02:33
Thanks for all the replies! Definately alot to check out. I have borrowed some Hammerfall and they sound good, and I will attempt to check out some of the others as well.

:0)
08-05-2006, 14:38
What about linkin park / limp bizkit / rage against the machine theyve all got some decent tracks to play to....
That's perfect. It's so obvious, why has no one thought of that before?:

"CRAAAAAAAAWWWWLIIIING IIIIIIN MYYYYYYY SKIIIIIIIIN

THESE WOUND THEY WILL NOT HEEEEEEEAAAAAAAL!!!111!!!1!1!!!!2"

Perfect Warhammer music.

RobC
08-05-2006, 15:42
Listening to metal whilst playing Warhammer is soooo 1987, guys :p

Chuffy
08-05-2006, 15:53
Swing music.... You want swing... it makes your games more classy....

Swing is the way to go.

Or the Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop soundtracks. Hip-hop and Jazz. The best music genres.

Dr Death
08-05-2006, 16:58
And dont forget a bit of Enge- Cant beat 'Release me' by the Humperdink (how i wish i was being sarcastic)

Dr Death

Sentinel75
08-05-2006, 17:27
WOHO! Therion for the win! I almost screamed out in joy when I saw someone else then me mention them. Great band. But alot of people have trouble accepting the symphonic style.

The symphonic style is what makes them perefect for Warhammer, plus all the unique/exotic themes they use. From Far and Middle East (Eyes of Shiva, Rise of Sodom&Gomorrah) to Nordic legends.. all set to progressive symphonic "metal" (though not offensive metal, my 67 year old father that only listens to classical music likes their music)
Their version of O' Fortuna from Orff's Caramina Burana is outstanding for pre- game setup

Steel_Legion
08-05-2006, 17:40
clasical music can be funny, the gladiator theme tracks and 1812overture, along with beets 5th. or if you want to get aggressive, anything heavy metal! \m/ woo!

GranFarfar
08-05-2006, 20:11
The symphonic style is what makes them perefect for Warhammer, plus all the unique/exotic themes they use. From Far and Middle East (Eyes of Shiva, Rise of Sodom&Gomorrah) to Nordic legends.. all set to progressive symphonic "metal" (though not offensive metal, my 67 year old father that only listens to classical music likes their music)
Their version of O' Fortuna from Orff's Caramina Burana is outstanding for pre- game setup

Oh I totally agree with you. Their music fits this kind of game great. Songs like Clavicula Nox and The siren of the woods is great background music,even if I admitedly can lose focus while listening to such great tracks.
I do like them cause they, or Chris, creates very uniqe music.