PDA

View Full Version : Re-painting your armies

Rogerio
16-04-2012, 18:14
How many people have done this then?? im seriously considering givng my Iron Warriors a totally new paintjob as IW are the most common CSM chapter out there bar none, every single person seems to have them!

My force is about 85% painted (including 3 squads of cult troops who would not be re-painted) so its quite an undertaking really but want to get some more originality in my force.

Thoughts??

Brother Sagaris
16-04-2012, 19:26
Mr muscle oven cleaner fetches the paint off a treat without touching the plastic / resin.

Souleater
16-04-2012, 19:38
I started doing it with my Tyranids but it seems an overwhelming task. It is a good way to get more mileage out of your existing figures, though.

Sqallum
16-04-2012, 19:54
Re painting my UM in the Night Lords colours with the Spray Gun. Also, I have to replace their helmets with MK4 helmets, and scrape off their aquilas. Nasty work :(
Sqallum

Gunless Ganger
16-04-2012, 19:58
A. Great paintjob
B. Save money
C. Reasonable timeframe

Pick two.

If you picked A&B - I would recommend stripping and repainting.
If you picked B&C - I would recommend painting over top of the existing paint job - so make the armor silver + something. leave the guns and such alone.
If you picked A&C - I would sell or trade the bulk of the army, keeping only the most expensive and/or least painted and buy new.

If you do decide to strip and repaint - be prepared for a healthy dose of soul-crushing.

salamandercaptain
16-04-2012, 20:09
I striped and repainted the two tactical squads in the plog below as well as old smaller metal terminators and a tech marine.
it's hard work, but given I'm now a much better painter than my 15year old self the results have been worth it.

Chapters Unwritten
16-04-2012, 20:18
If you have access to simple green and not every single thing needs to be changed, it's not a bad way to go. If you paint your models thinning paint with windshield washer fluid like I do, they come out almost looking brand new from Simple Green.

ColShaw
16-04-2012, 20:24
A couple years ago I repainted my entire Mordian Iron Guard IG infantry army (~200 guys). Took 5 months; it went faster than I'd feared! I painted about 2 squads a week for most of the time.

Yeah, I don't want to do it a third time, ever, but it was worth it. They're much better now! :)

Szalik
16-04-2012, 20:49
As it is chaos I'd advise to wait till new codex comes around. Then decide what do you want to do.

chromedog
16-04-2012, 22:51
I only strip 2nd hand models so that I can paint them with my scheme (My marines have had the same scheme for the last 12 years, my eldar have had theirs for over 15 years.
I don't repaint my models - regardless of how "crap" other people consider the paintjobs (because unlike them, mine are at least PAINTED).

I use brake fluid for my stripping needs. It works on everything short of polyurethanes (need something just a little bit tougher and illegal for that - Xylene will strip polyurethane varnish but you can't get it here) and hasn't damaged either metals or plastics. Of course, our drain systems are different to many other countries. ONLY roof overflow goes into stormwater (out of the downspouts) to the sea. EVERYTHING else (all internal drains) goes into treatment works - but I dispose of it at a local mechanic's waste drum.

Eldartank
17-04-2012, 02:31
A few years ago, I re-painted my entire Flesh Tearers army into Crimson Fists. At the time, I was really starting to hate those metal Flesh Tearer shoulder pads that were half the size of the normal shoulder pads, making all my models look crappy with odd-sized mismatched shoulder pads. That, and the fact that it was impossible to hand-paint the Flesh Tearers symbol on vehicles. I just carefully hand-painted a thin coat of chaos black over all the red, and then re-painted everything in Crimson Fist colors, removed the metal Flesh Tearer shoulder pads and replaced them with proper-sized pads, and then just put the Crimson Fist decals on them. Since then I've added to my Crimson Fists army. I do still have a couple old metal Furioso Dreadnoughts, a nicely-painted Sanguinary High Priest and Honor Guard, and some Death Company models, still painted in Flesh Tearer colors.

Now that they are coming out with those decal sheets, particularly the Flesh Tearer decals, I think I might start up Flesh Tearers again - but this time it will be all new models. I like my Crimson Fists, and I won't re-paint them.

Spider-pope
17-04-2012, 10:21
OP, given your in the UK and i know from experience what a pain it is trying to find Simple Green and the like, if you are going to strip mini's i'd recommend picking up a couple of bottles of Dettol Antiseptic. You can get it from any chemist and supermarket for about 4 a bottle, and it'll strip plastics and metals with no harm done to either. And best of all unlike stuff like brake fluid, the only side effect of using the stuff is you'll end up with very clean hands.

chromedog
17-04-2012, 10:29
You CAN end up with alcohol burns, though, from immersion as it does have a tendency to suck the moisture out of your skin - so wear gloves.
Hell, when dealing with ANY liquid that isn't water, treat it as inherently dangerous and use PPE (Personal protective equipment). By the time you get around to using the dangerous stuff, it'll be habit to glove up, and you'll be thankful for it.

Daniel36
17-04-2012, 10:41
I recently resprayed some Chaos Warriors. They looked exactly the same as the first time I spraypainted them.

Bloodknight
17-04-2012, 10:55
What ColShaw said, except that I had 350 IG to repaint. Not going to do that ever again, but it was worth it.

bobafett_h
17-04-2012, 11:12
I've started stripping just about all of my old Chaos minis over the past 12 months and there are always minis from eBay that need stripping. I have tried a few different products including Simple Green, but Dettol seems to work the best in my experience. It works well on plastics and metals and the models only need to soak for an hour to start working. I've left some plastic models soaking for a couple of weeks without issue. I have not tried it on any resin models so can't comment on that...

TheConverter15
17-04-2012, 11:19
Found some old models and submerged them in Dettol and it worked quickly and well, with only a little scrubbing. It worked well on metal but not so well on plastic (hard time removing primer). Remember to wear gloves as the end mix of dettol is like submerging your hands in paint (found that out the hard way :p)

Leeman Russ
17-04-2012, 12:44
I'm with Daniel36 - I've re-sprayed models many times over with negligible detriment to any detail. Admittedly, it won't be the same for everyone.

S_A_T_S
17-04-2012, 13:00
I've used nail polish remover to first strip some Plague marines and terminators (plagues plastic, termies metal), and it worked pretty well. A dunk for around 20 minutes in the foul stuff loosened up the paint, then in some warm water with a nail brush and sculpting tool to remove the rest. Hard work, but I managed to strip all the ugly old paint job off, and now they are some of my favourite units. Only lost one to the process - one of my ancient monopose plastic plagues burst, as if someone had got a red hot needle and jabbed him all over. Interesting effect, but completely ruined that model.

Stripped a few metal and plastic Blood Angels just after they were released as well. Loosing enthusiasm by that time, so I hated it. Lost some detail on a few of the models, notably the plastic jump packs, but when they are mixed in with 20+ other new, metal or unstripped-but-reasonably-painted JPs, noone notices. Just got new box of Death Company so will prob use a few JPs from that to replace some of the worst 'smudged' packs.

This whole thing reminds me that I have several metal scouts sitting in a doritos dip jar full of remover in my bedside cabinet. They've been there for at least 6 months, and I just can't find the energy to take them out and scrub them down. Urgh... Does anyone know of any substance you can just put a plastic model in and it will dissolve the paint, rather than just loosen? That is probably wishful thinking, but it would make life soooooooooo much easier...

Kaiserdean
17-04-2012, 16:53
I'm repainting my Ultramarines as Imperial Fists. I'm using the Ochre Foundation paint and it seems to cover nicely without a terrible loss of detail and the blue of the previous paint job isn't showing through.

I tried repainting a sample model by hand first, then tried a sample model with a spray gun and they both looked about the same when it came to loss of detail. So far, I've been please with the results but I am going to strip the metal models before repainting though.

Angelwing
17-04-2012, 17:50
I've done some repainting.
I repainted stuff to tie forces together. As an example, my tyranids were started in 2nd ed and the squads were a bit multicoloured. I picked the majority colour scheme and repainted the others to match in 3rd ed. I was given an ork army by a friend (all in 2nd ed multi colour goodness) and repainted the lot into a matching warband scheme.
I've done the same for my vampire counts and skaven. The results have made the army look like a unified army.
Since then I've re based many armies which has helped them look much better.

stroller
17-04-2012, 18:03
Doing it. Going to be doing it for a LONG time. But - I paint better now than I did mumble mumble years ago, and I'm pleased with the results so far.

I do one squad at a time, so that I have a feeling of progress (I have 200 wyches, for example....)

I treat it as improving my army and "old" paintjobs are still handy for squad differentiation while I wade through the pile.

Have fun!

Jayden63
17-04-2012, 21:42
I repainted the blue on my Tau to red when the newest foundation paints came out. Easy peasy, no stripping required due to how well the foundation paints covered.

Coragus
18-04-2012, 02:51
Undiluted Simple Green has worked very well for stripping models for me. I'm looking at doing that to a new army I just go from ebay.

Beppo1234
18-04-2012, 02:57
Undiluted Simple Green has worked very well for stripping models for me. I'm looking at doing that to a new army I just go from ebay.

me too. When I get home from Korea, and pick up the last couple of larger things I need for my current project CSMs, all 200 of my steel legion are going for a swim. I've been dreading the day, but they are my oldest army, and the age of their paint job really shows now compared to my more recent projects.

I've repainted my DAs a number of times, but it's not such a hassle, given that it's a smaller army. But the bigger army repaints just put me off.

qsd
18-04-2012, 11:15
I stripped down ~200-250 guardsmen. While repainting is probably going to take some time, it's also allowing me to add gear, converted lasguns, and new bases across the board. Plus I'll be able to get the uniform colors just right.

So if you're not satisfied with what you have right now, I think redoing it will be worthwhile.

Toadius80
18-04-2012, 11:44
I stupidly decided to re-paint my Blood Angels about a year and half back as I had noticed (as well as everyone else had) that over time my painting styles for red had changed loads so I had many different units in differing shades of red. I went and worked out a simpler, 3 step red armour painting scheme, and base coated all my angels.
Totally regret it still. Only have 2500pts painted so far with way too many still to do :-(

The easiest way to strip models I found after going through many different chemicals was 'One Shot'.
Its a drain unblocker. Possibly the most powerful available on the market, about 70-80% hydrocloric acid. Does the job on metals a treat with very little clean up. My method is a large glass jar, pour in the One Shot, carefully add models and leave, preferably outside overnight and wash them then remove, give them a good was and job done. About 80% of the time no scrubbing etc involved. Cleans minging bbqs easy too ;-)
NOTE:
Its dangerous stuff, if it gets into contact with skin it will burn and burn bad! Even a small drop will leave a nasty red mark! Talking from experience there. So if you attempt to use make sure good ppe is used. Ie goggles, gloves and even apron. It deteriates fabric quite good, put holes in my old jeans quite good.

Sent from my God Like Device using TapaTalk