PDA

View Full Version : Army selection problem..

tant00l
16-04-2012, 18:29
Hi.
I have been in and out of this hobby several times, but I feel like this is the time that I will finally manage to stay in the game.
My only problem is that there are several armies that I like, and I can't really decide on wich one to get. So I was hoping that some of you nice people might wanted to help me back into the hobby ;)
So wich of the 40k armies out there do you prefere and why? And wich army would be the best one to play against DA (my main opponent) ?

Regards tant00l :)

tiger g
16-04-2012, 18:48
Find the one you like the models the best or the fluff. You will always regret picking an army based on someone else's opinion. Painted armies are the best and you need to like the models.

Dylius
16-04-2012, 18:53
tiger g is right. Do you know anyone who already collects one of the armies that you want? Because you could ask them to introduce you to the background of that army, to see whether or not you like the look of them.

Casper Hawser
16-04-2012, 18:54
Which armies do you like?
Back in the late 80's I played Blood Bowl and Space Hulk I always wanted to play 40k but never got round to it so when I got back into in 2008 I started a Blood Angels force because of the Space Hulk box with BA Terminators on the front that I used to own. Thats what inspired me to the Blood Angels.
The reason I started the Black Legion was I'd read the first 3 Horus Heresy books I picked up the Chaos codex read that the Black Legion used to be the Luna Wolves and that was it I was Inspired.
Why did I start the Death Guard I loved the Forge world kits for them and yet again I was inspired plus along with the BL ive a nice size Apocolypse force.

If you tell people the armies you like people will be able to help with plus and minus points. Hope this helps.

chriscrowing
16-04-2012, 18:56
Seconded. Wander into the shop, look at the painted models on display, look at all he plastic sets available, read as much fluff as you can (www.lexicanum.com is good for this) and eventually something will jump out at you go as something you HAVE to have. That's different for everyone - I love Chaos fluff and the models but have never felt the urge to play or collect them, while I know the Tau are a bit broken but I'm really tempted to add them as a third force (Marines and Orks being my first two) - bottom line is, what works for you, works for you. Let your love of the models and fluff guide you - in-game application will come later.

tant00l
16-04-2012, 19:11
Thanks for all the help so far.
I kind of forgot to add something about which armies I like, thanks for the reminder.
I like the looks and fluff of several of the SM chapters, but I feel like most of the cool SM chapters are overused. And I think it would be cool to have a chapter/army that not everyone plays.
Same applies to the CSM armies, love much of the fluff (The Horus Heresy books made me a superhuman fanboy), they got some really awesome and minis the fw ones look sick (this also applies to the SM range). But i'm having a hard time picking a Legion.
Tau is also one of the armies that I like, mostly because of theyr look and the two last armies on my list for stuff I want to get are DE and GK.

-Regards tant00l

Casper Hawser
16-04-2012, 20:06
Well Dark Eldar and The Grey Knights Codexes are pretty recent so you've no fears of buying a book and then having it replaced in a year or so.
The Grey Knights have the bonus that there models have high points costs so it won't cost as much to put a decent size army together. Alot of people consider the Grey Knights codex to be one of the top codexes for producing winning armies along with Space Wolves, Imperial Guard and Blood Angels.
The Dark Eldar codex is meant to be one of the best out there in terms of fluff and balanced rules I'd like to start a Dark Eldar in the future but once I've added a bit to my Death Guard I'm going to go with Daemons as Ive got some lesser Daemons and a greater Daemon for my chaos marines so it just makes sense for me.
I think Chaos Marines are due a new codex this year so It might be worth waiting before going for them and I'm guessing Tau should be due a new one but as far as I know there are no rumours about them so maybe look at ebay for either of those rather than get stung for 20 and find you need to buy a new book in the not so distant future.
Hope this helps.

tant00l
17-04-2012, 17:16
I have one more question that is related to my army selection. Which armies got the beste psykers, I would love to have a mighty psyker leading my force. In a search for some ancient artifact or something :p'

- tant00l.

chriscrowing
17-04-2012, 18:05
If you want psykers (even though they've been massively ramped back from what they used to be) you must stay away from Tau & Necrons. SM Librarians and Eldar Farseers still seem to be the beastliest though.

From what you're saying - you're pretty tempted by Marines - remember you can create your own chapter to use with Codex Space Marines or even use Codex Blood Angels and say you're a BA successor (there are a few) or some folks use the BA dex to play Raven Guard or Night Lords.

If Chaos floats your boat, just decide how you want to play - assault base gives you World Eaters (Khorne), bogged down siege warfare gives you Death Guard (Nurgle), a more professional less-mutated approcah but with possible daemonic fun can be Black Legion or Alpha Legion, heavily mechanised surgical strikes gives you Night Lords. Or you can make up a chapter who went rogue at some point between 30k and 40k and make up your own kinks and colour scheme... that's some of the fun of this hobby.

tant00l
17-04-2012, 20:16
Hmm, a not to mutated approach to chaos. With an army lead by a sorceror on the hunt for some sacred relic sounds rather tempting at the moment.
But if I do choose to go this way with my army, how should I make my list and such?

-tant00l

Charistoph
17-04-2012, 20:21
From what you're saying - you're pretty tempted by Marines - remember you can create your own chapter to use with Codex Space Marines or even use Codex Blood Angels and say you're a BA successor (there are a few) or some folks use the BA dex to play Raven Guard or Night Lords.

If Chaos floats your boat, just decide how you want to play - assault base gives you World Eaters (Khorne), bogged down siege warfare gives you Death Guard (Nurgle), a more professional less-mutated approcah but with possible daemonic fun can be Black Legion or Alpha Legion, heavily mechanised surgical strikes gives you Night Lords. Or you can make up a chapter who went rogue at some point between 30k and 40k and make up your own kinks and colour scheme... that's some of the fun of this hobby.

I would also add that for both Chaos Marines and regular Marines, you can create your own chapter or warband, and not stuck to a specific color scheme, Legion, style, or story.

My Chaos warband is an Imperial Fists successor chapter who has been cursed by a lesser god of Chaos and now seek to destroy and rework the Warp into their preference. They also happen to be allergic to the Warp as it currently is and hunt down active psykers with bloodthirsty vengeance.

So sky's the limit when it comes to your army.

Chem-Dog
17-04-2012, 21:09
If your main opponent is a Dark Angels player I'd suggest an undivided CSM force painted black as a contingent of fallen :D

tant00l
17-04-2012, 21:11
If your main opponent is a Dark Angels player I'd suggest an undivided CSM force painted black as a contingent of fallen :D
That does actually sound like a rather awesome idea, hmm I like the way you are thinking :D